LS1GTO Forums banner

How do Konis and Lovells Eliminator compare?

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Koebot 
#1 ·
I searched but couldn't find any direct comparisons. It may be time to upgrade the suspension. I don't plan to lower it (well, maybe 3/4", can't decide). I've always planned to go the Lovells Eliminator route but the Konis seem to accomplish the same thing for noticeably less money. If I go with Konis, I'd still use Lovells springs since I'm already halfway there (see below).

The car will continue to be a fair-weather daily driver with maybe an occassional SCCA event for fun.

How can I expect either to compare to stock ride and handling? Already have Lovells stock height rear spring (originals were sagging), Pedders adjustable sways, Lovells RR bushings, rear craddle bushings and a Harrop rear cover. How does the Lovells ride and handling compare to Koni?

I'll probably upgrade the outer tie rods at the same time. Should I do engine and trans mounts too?

#2 ·
The Koni's are adjustable, too, so that's a plus over the Eliminators.

I have Lovells 0-drops at all 4 corners and like the spring rate, although some slightly stiffer dampers (stiffer than the KYBs I have) would probably make the package better than it already is; I think the Lovells/Koni's are good matches for their springs. Lovells+KYB is slightly more firm than stock just around town, but the improvement is REALLY noticed in the turns when the G's starting adding up. Eliminator/Koni's probably improve beyond that (just my speculation).

What's the reason for the tranny/motor mounts at the same time? Just because you'll be wrenching already? I like to do that, too - just knock several things out in big mod/maintenance days all at once.

#3 ·
I read elsewhere that engine mounts and a transmission mount can eliminate a lot of driveline lash/noises. I have a LOT of that since I put the rear cradle bushings in. And, I have the headers off getting them ceramic coated, so I could get at those engine mounts soooooo easy right now.... Not sure I'd be happy with the added NVH they'd cause though.

#6 ·
Kollar Racing sells the Lovells bits. Andy may be able to address the differences, as he sells both products.

#8 ·
LOVELLS: Non Adjustable full strut designed and valved for use with LOVELLS Springs. They are tuned to provide a firmer ride without being harsh. Struts include bumpstops, strut bolts and a LOVELLS boot. Struts are designed for up to 1.25" of drop springs

KONIS: Rebound only adjustable cartidge. You must gut and reuse the OEM housing. Doesnt include bumpstops, boots or strut bolts. Works very well with LOVELLS and most aftermarket springs.

I prefer LOVELLS on daily drivers stock height or 20mm lower. The 25/30 kit has an awesome stance (see Dorics Car) but can be rough for daily drivers. Koni has pluses too...Ajustability helps if you track the car.

What you have to honestly ask yourself is how do I use the car? Do I need the adjustability? Will I use the adjustability. ONE IS NOT BETTER THEN THE OTHER!! Both are high quality products...your needs determine which is better.

What ever direction you go in, I can help you with LOVELLS and KONI

#9 ·
First things first, if you haven't bought from Duckman yet, you're doing yourself a tremendous disservice. His customer service is second-to-none.

I had Konis on my '04 and transferred them to my '05. Loveloveloved them with my Eibach springs, but I was ready for a change and Duckman contributed hugely to my charity fund for the Rocky Mountain Rally in 2012, so I ordered the OMGOMGOMG low-low Lovells springs and the Eliminator shocks and struts. The car looks fantastic and the ride is very nice, but if I'm being honest, the dampers could be a bit more stiff. I bottomed out/hit the bumpstops a number of times with this setup. The springs get the lion's share of the blame for that, but if the shocks and springs were just a little bit stiffer, I might have done less abuse to my poor headers.

#11 ·
First things first, if you haven't bought from Duckman yet, you're doing yourself a tremendous disservice. His customer service is second-to-none.
I got all my Lovells bits and pieces from Andy and I plan to buy future Lovells and/or Koni items from him as well. Still on the fence about a clutch but who knows....

#10 ·
Well, I have adjustable QA1s on the wagon (kind of a pro-touring type build) and I used the adjustability to fine tune things to get what I wanted, but I haven't changed the settings since I got the ride and feel I wanted.

I guess if I add in the cost of new bolts and bump stops the Konis aren't monstrously less expensive than the full Eliminator set up.

Can the Lovells struts and shocks be rebuilt? What is their typical street driven longevity?

Would I regret going with a 3/4" drop? I have shorty headers so low hanging long tubes aren't going to be an issue. Do 3/4" drops begin to create camber problems for the rear? Even with a stock ride height and Lovells rear springs, I still have slight inner tire wear though it isn't as bad as it had been.

#12 ·
AND, if I could duplicate the ride and handlling of my WAGON in the GTO I'd do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately the suspension for the wagon was pieced together with parts from no less than seven different manufacturers and I struggled mightily to get the front spring rate and ride height right but it sure came together in the end. The wheels and tires were a good choice too. It would be hard to duplicate this level of customization with off the shelf packages but I can dream.

It may not look super low at first glance, but there is slightly less than 4 inches of clearance at the front frame crossmember (I had to buy a new low profile floor jack just to be able to get under the thing safely) and in the roughly 450 miles I've put on it, I have yet to scrape or bottom out.

#13 ·
Oh, I should also add that I hope to put 245/40-R18 tires on it at some point and sure want to get them on there without any rubbing and I just don't want to modify the sheetmetal at all. Does this mean the 3/4" drop would be a bad idea? How about 255/40-R18s for the rear?

#14 ·
When I did mine, I bought Kollar's no rub kit which included the bump stops & bolts and I just reused the stock boots (which were in great shape). Since you already have the RR bushings, that's probably not an option for you.

Gutting the OE strut housing isn't difficult, just takes an extra hour to do if you have the tools already. I am sure you'd be happy with either Lovells or Koni which is likely why you won't find many folks with experience with both.

I kept my car stock height so I don't experience any issues with bottoming out. Lovells has a special strut for lowered applications. Konis should work equally well in any ride height. Again, I'll point out that Koni has a lifetime warranty. Pedders I think has a 2-year warranty. Not sure about the warranty on Lovells products.

#15 ·
Again, I'll point out that Koni has a lifetime warranty. Pedders I think has a 2-year warranty. Not sure about the warranty on Lovells products.
That's a good point. Maybe Andy can inform us about Lovells' warranty.

#16 ·
I have the full zero drop eliminator kit, Andy was very helpful with that, end links, Hinson mounts, same tire size as you with no issues, there is a tad more NVH but the improvements are well worth it, my long tubes have never bottomed out so I am very happy with my choices

#17 ·
Do the Lovells Eliminator struts require new sway bar end links? I have expensive end links on there already with stock struts so if I had to change the end links to use Lovells that would push me toward the Koni solution.

#20 ·
LOVELLS has a 3 year warranty and is rebuildable. LOVELLS uses standard GTO endlinks. I personnally have put over 100k on a LOVELLS setup with no issues.

#21 ·
I ordered (backordered at least) as set of Hinson poly motor mounts today. It just makes sense to do it now since the headers are off and I can get to them so easily right now. Hopefully they will ship soon so as to not delay my header reinstall. I'm expecting the headers back from the ceramic coating shop soon.

#23 ·
I'm using 3/4" Lovells springs with their dampers. Daily driven with no noticeable wear on tires due to camber. I also run on 245/40/18 about 8-9 months out the year with no rubbing issues. I personally think the dampers are great but the springs could be a little former for my taste but have not noticed any bottoming out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.