LS1GTO Forums banner

Car hit while parked on the street...no note

4K views 33 replies 29 participants last post by  2006KJ 
#1 ·
So my car was parked on the street last night, and evidently someone (my neighbor) hit it. You can tell it wasn't sideswiped, it was definitely backed into or hit straight on. Which makes sense cause my neighbors across the street get drunk almost every night and then their son leaves sometime after we go to bed.

Called the cops and got a police report, he said the exact same thing about it not being sideswiped. Waiting to hear what the neighbors told him.

Surprisingly they missed the door, probably by less than an inch. Just the rear panel is dented.

What does everyone think this will cost to repair? Taking it to the body shop in a couple of weeks when my work schedule changes.

See less See more
#5 ·
People suck.

+1. Body parts for these cars are not cheap.

#4 ·
That stinks bad!!! Sadly they probably won't fess up to it..

My wife backed into a big new work truck parked across the street from us one time, could have just left and said nothing but I went over there, told him and gave him my insurance info.

#6 ·
damn man it dont look to bad, but like everybody else said it goin to cost a little chunk of change. good luck.

#16 ·
That's twice you've acted like a dick when someone's car got messed up. Geez, man.

OP... good luck. I just got in my 2nd wreck, last week. 1st time around, the car should've been totaled, but they found all the damage (cosmetic AND suspension) piece-by-piece. This time, it's just front body damage (bumper, hood), so it should be a lot less.

Make sure to take it to a trustworthy bodyshop, and hopefully you'll get it back as good as new.

#9 ·
Wow, that sucks dude! I had someone do this to me a few months back, I eventually found out who it was and got it fixed through insurance. Also, it doesnt look like any paint was traded, which strikes me as kind of odd based on how much damage is done...
Either way, I hope all works out!

#10 ·
i dont think it was a car i believe paint would have been swapped but who knows good luck

#11 ·
My guess would be ~$1,250 in parts, and an equivalent amount in paint and labor. So, $2,500?

#13 ·
True, but it's only one body panel, and that panel wont cost more then $1,250. If it does, I'd be surprised.

OEM fenders are about $750 a pop. I'd imagine quarter panels are more, which is how I came to my $1,250 figure.

Labor will typically cost around the same, when including paint. But will likely be less.

I think $2,500 is a pretty accurate guess. But I could be wrong.

#14 ·
damn man, i hate that for ya. this is why i'm scared for my car to be parked anywhere except in my garage...haha

good luck with the drunken neighbors.

#17 ·
A fender,door and paint is about 3500.Don't ask how I know... Ill guess 3-4 easy.its into the jamb which is more structural than just an exterior panel.
Any fresh holes in your yard to hide the perpetrators yet?

#20 ·
Any identifiable traces of paint from the other car?

#22 ·
Your looking at a pretty nice chunk of change there. Strictly because of the labor involved. If they do it right they'll pull the back window, driver side rear window, rear bumper, and then cut out the busted rear quarter panel since it doesn't look repairable and then fit and weld in a replacement. And you B pillar is mashed up pretty good in the door latch jam.

Good luck and if you find out who did it, poop on their hood.

#24 ·
Man, this sucks. I've had a similar experience and thankfully it wasn't a shitty neighbor. I was parked at the convenience store located behind my apartment building, walked in to grab a Gatorade, pay and walk out and see this!

Hard to see in the photo but it was flat from the part it was folded under all the way to the scoops. The bumper was sticking out on both sides and loose to the touch.

A loading truck that was parked far ahead of me backed into my car and moved it. The loading lift on the back crushed my hood in and took the scoops with it. The trucks bumper destroyed my bumper and it was almost hanging on the ground...it sucked royally! New hood, scoops, and bumper...well in excess of $2,000 with labor.

Good luck to you!

#26 ·
Still nothing from my neighbors. I can't recall the last day I came home and they weren't sitting outside drinking. The past two days, they haven't shown their face outside. It's really starting to piss me off. They seemed like such nice people...

#28 ·
I JUST got my car back from the shop for a hit and run on my door. I got off lucky compared to you. I'm really sorry to see they hit you where they did. I would look very closely to see if any blue paint is on any of your neighbor's vehicles.

Sorry it happened.

#31 ·
I JUST got my car back from the shop for a hit and run on my door. I got off lucky compared to you. I'm really sorry to see they hit you where they did. I would look very closely to see if any blue paint is on any of your neighbor's vehicles.
^^ This. a little while back I had to deal with insurance because, while I got the Insurance information, no police report :banghead:Well this created a whole smattering of issues, starting with the person who hit me dodging the companies phone calls and not responding to letters.
When the insurance adjuster finally went out to the persons house, they saw that the damage to their car was consistent to the damage to mine, and were able to proceed with that.

#30 ·
Bob, I bid $1.

I feel your pain. I had my first car, a Formula 350, parked outside my apartment on the street, which I never do, for a whole 20 minutes. Came back out and sure enough someone had hit my fender hard. Of course... no note. No one has a sense of Honor anymore. If I, God forbid, hit some one else's car I would be rittled with guilt if I didn't leave a note.

#32 ·
There's no blue paint missing from my car. Plus, there's no dent on the plastic bumper of their car. I believe their son's Mercury Grand Marquis did it, but I haven't seen it since Saturday before my car was hit.

If the damage is $3-4k I think I'm just going to take the check and try and sell the car for $6-7k as is. I only bought the car for $11k 2 years ago, and it's about time for me to get a sedan (hopefully a G8) cause the Mrs. wants to have kids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.