LS1GTO Forums banner

Automatic shifter knob replacement

19K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  MuhThugga 
#1 ·
I can't find the answer in the forums. All of the info is on manual shifters. Where is the best place to get a stock or aftermarket shifter knob for my car? Mine is pealing. Thanks!

#6 ·
I've been wondering this for a while. Pretty much if you aren't going to go all out and install your own custom shifter from B&M then pretty much you need to buy a used one from somewhere unless you want to spend $200.00+

The only solution I've come up with is to purchase the Maverick Man carbon fiber pieces then order the leather boot from RedlineGoods. So you'll spend $265.00 and get a killer shifter with a leather boot designed the exact way you want it to look. *Of course, this does not include the replacement of the gear indicator section.*

#8 ·
Cheap and easy way is to get new stock silver pieces, they're dirt cheap... I got ones for the steering wheel too since they were peeling as well, it was around $50 for everything. Cheap ebay manual shifter boot and made my auto console look 10x better IMO. :)

#11 ·
#13 ·
I bought one for a manual transmission and installed there. You do have to extend those wires, but that's really easy there's only 4-5 of them. Just do them one-by-one.

#17 ·
As far as wiring it's the same, colors and all. I have A4 and used M6. You actually need to use the M6 T/C button when putting beside the door lock switch as you'll see there's slightly different in shape and the M6 is made to sit next to another button.

#21 ·
What I did with my boot is I went over the whole shifter plate so it hides the stock T/C button area along with the DRND321... IMO cleans up the console some.

#23 ·
That's my plan as well, weird the OEM M6 boot I bought on eBay is coming from the UK. The door lock kit, and my M6 T/C button came, and I got impatient and installed all that stuff. Just waiting on the boot.

damnit spooky I am going to pull the trigger on his M6 boot and button mod in the spring. I pm'd him about this earlier...NOW ILL LOOK LIKE THE COPYCAT AGAIN
Ha! This is a relatively cheap way to clean up the A4 area, i'll keep you posted on progress. Just a heads up, I forgot that the stock M6 T/C button and the door lock buttons are illuminated green stock, and Jeff switched my interior to white/red. I'll be sending them off to him soon to get it switched

#24 ·
Ahhh makes sense then, I was wondering why you tucked it, lol.

For the buttons, look on your old T/C button and on the bottom you'll see where you can twist off a cap with a flathead. Swap the bulb to the new T/C. For the door lock though you'll need to get a new bulb, but you can get online for cheap instead of having to send them off. :)

#30 ·
NEO3-xHP is the one I ordered from the super*****led site. Where the x goes the color when you order it, but NEO3 should get you to the bulb at least, my receipt says they were $2.29/each

#33 ·
Finally got my shift boot today, ordered Nov. 18th. It ships from the UK, and took a while in customs. No big deal though, just throwing it out there. I'll post up pics and start a new thread as not to hijack this one anymore lol.

Took the time to clean all the crevices and hard to reach areas of my console trim in my living room with some Adams in and out spray, and a toothbrush. So far so good, had to trim the top a tiny bit for the knob to fit, and ziptied it from underneath.

#45 ·
#39 ·
Wanted to chime back in and say how happy I am with this mod. Just installed it this morning and it looks awesome. It took a little stretching to fit over the console but it fits nice a snug. Well worth the $17 for the boot and 20 min to install. Real leather and smells oh-so-nice :D

This post has been deleted
#41 ·
been hunting a replacement shfiter assembly for my gf's gto and struck out many times.

i think i am going to sell this idea to her and do it. looks so clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.