LS1GTO Forums banner

couple Svede questions

2K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  WinnersBadGoat 
#1 ·
Planning on ordering a Svede and have a few questions.

Is it necessary to buy the upgraded IAT sensor?

Also do I really need to buy the breakout harness or can the stock wiring be extended?

#2 ·
Not a must on the sensor, but to maximize the performance out of the intake I would say yes.

The harness, is a must IMO, you maybe able to cut the tape and extend it, but that just looks jank. The harness cleans it up a bit and allows you to use the IAT sensor (FAST or otherwise) to fill the IAT sensor hole on the side of the intake.

All in all I would get them both. To make the intake worth while & improve air temp readings for the car, which is where it helps not to pull timing & so the power is gained.

#3 ·
X2

#4 ·
You have an IAT sensor inside your MAF.

Save for an LS3 MAF instead. Then you will notice a true difference.

#5 ·
Ditto. You have an 05 with the IAT built in to the Mass Air Flow sensor. You don't need the extension unless you get a separate IAT sensor. If you do opt for the upgraded IAT, you will need the extension.

The other guys above saying to cut the tape and pull the harness out are referring to an '04 setup, where the IAT is already broken out of the MAF from the factory.

#7 ·
I would opt for the new IAT sensor, OP. it's light years ahead of the stock set up and as stated, very much helps to maximize your performance from the Svede. It's part of how most people realize such a huge difference from other intakes such as AEM or K&N. I remember reading somewhere here on the forums that there's a difference of how often the new IAT sensor refreshes the readings for the computer over the stock, which also has a part in making it better. Your computer receives better, faster readings for better adjustments to fuel for maximum output. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that one, guys.

Also, Svede FTW!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
I would upgrade that sensor no matter what you do to your car. You will be amazed on how fast the upgrade reacts when compared to a factory one. I have an Omega Thermister Element on my car.

#12 ·
Not an issue. You can get the Svede and never upgrade the sensor and still realize good gains.

I run an omega thermistor I made for my old vararam ... I just reused it in the Svede when I changed over.

These guys are right, in that the omega thermistor has a faster sampling rate than stock, but it's so fast, you can't see it with your eyes. The reason the IAT temps change faster with the separate sensor, is due to heats soak in the MAF.

It's not a big deal to not upgrade, you'll just still have the heat soak you have now, but will have a good increase from just the Svede.

#11 ·
so here is a question... is putting these two together redundant in a good way or bad way (LS3/7 card)? waste of time or sounds like a good idea?

#14 ·
The upgraded omega sensor IN THE SVEDE will also double as an outside thermometer when going ~40mph or faster...it's that good to take you to flat ambient when cruising! Do I really like my Svede? LOL, oh yeh!

Tom.

#15 ·
The Svede is definately a great intake. I also added the upgraded IAT sensor and breakout wiring harness. This made for a simple install with great results. This year I added the Aeroforce gauges so I'll se what the IAT's are running come spring.

#17 ·
I would not install the svede without the fast acting IAT. The IAT sensor is what helps the svede really shine.

my preference goes as follows:

1. Speed density tune, fast acting IAT in the SVEDE. (eliminates all turbulence in the intake path)
2. LS3 card style MAF, fast acting IAT in the SVEDE
3. Stock MAF, fast acting IAT in the SVEDE

#19 ·
There's been a delay with Svede deliveries lately, but if you have a tuning appointment or some sort of time crunch that you NEED (not want) the Svede before, I would contact spencer and let him know ahead of time. I was in that situation. I called him and we talked about it, and I got my Svede in a timely manner and was able to have the car ready for tuning. He may have a hard time answering his phone, but Spencer is a pretty upstanding guy and will do his best to take care of you, the customer.

#20 ·
Well I tried calling him and emailed him,did not get him and have not heard from him.
I went ahead and took a leap of faith and ordered it just a few minutes ago.Hope I don't end up regretting it,but I can't afford the Duspeed so its my only option.

#23 ·
You're still running stock air box with those numbers? Oh yeah, you're gonna see a huge gain in just the Svede.

#25 ·
I called WCS and spoke with Spencer last week. GREAT GUY! BSed with him for about 30 minutes. I WILL be getting a hold of him again later this week to place my order and get put on "The List" for one of these Svede Intakes and the IAT breakout. From what Spencer had said, they are on a 4-6wk backorder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.