LS1GTO Forums banner

RIP Dennis

2K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  ls2weber 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Sorry for the loss of your friend, don't hold his actions as your fault.

#6 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear that Chris.

Holy Crap now I remembered who he was I had to think about it. WOW!

#7 ·
Chris I hope you do not mind if I posted posting up a pic of him???
If I am correct he was the one that hung out with us at Fremont Street right????

#8 ·
Chris i'm so sorry for the loss of your friend

#11 ·
Man, that sucks to lose a friend. Whatever the situation was, don't feel guilty. We all cut our own deals in life.

#14 ·
As I sit in a hotel room tonight, I am haunted by this story since I read Chris' post. I can't get Dennis off my mind and trying to leverage off Chris' well crafted account of his friend.

I'm compelled to say more as that story published doesn't describe the Dennis I met on a few occassions. Certainly, and in no way, am I conveying his behavior that has shocked us all. Just wanted it clear that he was just a regular good guy and life sure went terribly wrong.

As JJ said, we all had a blast hanging out with him in Vegas. I met him on the forum first back in 2008 when I was a noobie to this GTO vitual world.

I remember the "Sac thread" was way more active in my beginning here and there were always good stuff going on there. There was this guy, ls2weber(Chris) who was friendly and a "crack up" in my book, King408 (Adam), another super friendly chap, and Dennis the Mennace. Between the 3 of them. there were always lively conversations and funny stuff.

One time, when I mustered up enough courage to join in, I said something wrong (didn't know it) and got blasted by one of the veterans on the boards for being a bit of a dork (which I was). Thought I had really blown it and a "On-Line Bully" had really laid into me. Well, Dennis had recognized that I was being blasted and stood up for me. I never forgot that.

Couple of days later, I drove to Sacramento on a rainy night and met ls2weber and Dennis the Mennace to do a little go-cart driving at RPM indoor track. I made sure to thank Dennis for looking out for me that night on the boards and he was as humble as anyone could be and said, no worries. Instant friends.

Seeing him in Vegas last year was great and he fit right back in to the gang.

Reading this ending to his life today, certainly makes me sad that a life could go so wrong, but it's important to stress even good people make poor decisions. Wish there was a way I too could have returned his favor to me to change the course of his destiny.

Chris lost a good friend, and I'm sure Dennis' family is hurting as well. I'll pray for them.

#15 ·
I have been taking this pretty hard since I first heard from Chris earlier today.

I knew Dennis and his wife, Amy, pretty well. They had gone with Katie and I as well as Ken and Amy and Adam and his wife up to Tahoe for a long couples weekend and that's when I really got to know and like Dennis so much. We always talked on the phone and hung out several times even as he started becoming less active on the forum.

I agree with Colin, the Dennis in that news article is not the Dennis that I will remember. My friend was a mellow guy who was really into cars and restoring his classic truck. When I got the 2005 CGM from Richie, I cut a deal with Dennis for his Billet shifter and 18's since he was going to trade his car in. Those 18's are now on JJ's car.

I keep wondering how his wife, Amy, is doing through all of this. I assume she is the one that police cleared from the house prior to the shootout. I don't have pics of Dennis readily available but here are some pics from that fun trip to Tahoe with him, Ken and Adam. That was his PBM goat. That is how I will always remember Dennis.

#17 ·
I'm sorry you all lost a good friend.

#22 ·
This is completely bewildering to me. Like Joel said, we all spent the weekend with Dennis and his wife in Tahoe a few years ago. There was no hint that anything was wrong back then, and there probably wasn't. It's crazy how things can change in a relatively short amount of time.

Condolences to all that knew him. I can't imagine what his wife is going through right now.

#23 ·
I don't know what to say. Dennis and his wife were very nice, I am saddened to hear about this. My prayers are with him, his wife and family.

#25 ·
Wow, I can't believe this! Dennis was a great, nice guy! I had a blast with him in Vegas and would have never imagined him turning up in a situation like that. I'm glad I have nothing but great memories of him.

This is really terrible news. My condolences to his family.

#26 ·
It just occurred to me this week that the Dennis that I was reading about in the newspaper was the fun guy I met one day while we were driving our GTOs to work. I pulled alongside him after getting a haircut on FO Blvd and we mixed it up little. Eventually we pulled off briefly and exchanged contact info and chatted about our favorite car. He stayed in touch for a while with emails about his truck build but faded away as we got busy with family i guess. I can't help but wonder what happened to his truck. I see that it was a beautiful candy apple red from the video that is posted about him. I remember when he bought that engine that is featured in that clip. He was extremely happy; I still have the email that is full of joy. One final thought is about the details surrounding his death. It doesn't make sense that he did what they claimed he did. I am anxiously awaiting the "kicker letter" if it is ever released. He was a good man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.