LS1GTO Forums banner

UPP's Affordable Fuel Sytem!

13K views 90 replies 30 participants last post by  MTGOAT 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, well after messing with the idea to duplicate our already proven fuel system form the Corvettes, we decided to make one for the GTO guys as well. It's almost done, we've got probably 1 week left to get everything documented and finish with the install video, but it's pretty much done!

http://www.uppcos.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_40&products_id=347

It's a completely stand alone fuel system, that piggy-backs your existing fuel system. It's complete with PTFE SS braided AN lines, -6AN Fittings, Fuel pump, check valve, regulator, and return system. We designed it to be a simple bolt on, that's only active under boost pressure (or nitrous arming switch, etc). This means that when you're idling and light throttle cruising, you're running completely off of your stock fuel system, untouched. But once our system is activated (5psi, adjustable) the walbro 255 supplies more than double what your stock fuel system can. And it even plugs into your stock fuel rails for ease of installation! And like I said, this is a complete system with a return, right down to the nuts and bolts!

This system is a complete parallel system, that accompanies your existing fuel system, fully stand alone all by itself. It features it's own fuel pickup from the tank, lines, filter, pump, regulator, and return.

Right now we're targeting to match our Corvette pricing of $649, but depending on the end result and length of lines used, this may change a bit.

We're also working on a stg 2 version with aluminum fuel rails and full AN fittings.

If you're not partial to Walbro, we have Bosch 044's option as well, completely interchangeable!

CK

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
We installed a bulkhead fitting into the top of the tank, and a pickup that pulls fuel inside. The return is T'd back into the feed line, just before the fuel pump, an no, there are no cavitation issues.

Is there a way to mount the regulator under the brake resevoir? That would save on some excess lines instead if going to the front if the car and back. You could probably run the line that goes to the rail to the firewall and run it ontop if the rail also
We're working with this still. We had a really good mounting point, and everything was installed pretty clean, but we forgot to check hood clearance. :bomb: We're playing with different location for a clean install, as well as to not have an abundant excess of lines running everywhere. The pics we posted were just to give a general idea of the layout.

It has to be a certain distance from the firewall for it to pass inspection at some drag events.
However, I do agree that this could definitely be cleaned up more. It looks pretty rough, as-is.
Could you please post links to this? I'd like to make sure we get it correct for everyone w/o breaking any rules.

I applaud any effort to bring more options to the GTO community. Understanding that this is a rough draft, I am sure that some "clean up" would be done for the final kit version.

One thing I am abit confused about, why spend this kind of cash on a fuel upgrade and limit the fuel feed cross section to a -6? For high HP applications a -8 would be minimum IMO.
Yes, on the cleanup. As far as the -8 lines, let's be honest, you're not going to use this system on a 2500hp funny car. The lines aren't the issue here, the pump will be the first limitation. Keep in mind that you're still running your stock fuel lines (which are close to -6), and people have run stock fuel lines in excess of 800hp, that being the case, 2x -6 would be ~1600? The inlet/outlet on the walbro's is only 1/8" NPT, way smaller than -6.

The nice thing about this system is it's easy to install, functional, and upgradeable. You can easily T in a second walbro, it will adapt to aftermarket fuel rails, and since we already have all the lengths and layout, we could easily make it -8, -10, -12, hell we can make it whatever you want!

But really, when we designed this, we're after the guys that need a bit more fuel, but aren't going for the gold with a 1500hp setup. Our "ideal" customer that we're targeting would be someone like 05GTO, simple bolt on of our turbo kit, 8psi, and a single intank walbro just wasn't enough. He ended up with a Walbro plus a KB BAP, and our system will out flow that any day! We could upgrade it to -8 lines, bigger pumps, etc., but in reality most of our customers won't really be needing all that, and I don't feel right charging them for something they don't need.

Like I said the nice thing about this is it's fully customizable to what every you need. Our biggest request is SS for the return instead of rubber, and no problem we can do that! But at the same time we can keep a budgetable for the masses.

It's because we are still a small company, we have the ability to adapt to your needs. Whether it be HKS BOV's on your TT kit, SS return lines, or -8 fuel system lines. ;)

I'll have more time to work on this and post up some more pics tomorrow.

CK

#3 ·
Is there a way to mount the regulator under the brake resevoir? That would save on some excess lines instead if going to the front if the car and back. You could probably run the line that goes to the rail to the firewall and run it ontop if the rail also

#4 ·
It has to be a certain distance from the firewall for it to pass inspection at some drag events.
However, I do agree that this could definitely be cleaned up more. It looks pretty rough, as-is.

#5 ·
I applaud any effort to bring more options to the GTO community. Understanding that this is a rough draft, I am sure that some "clean up" would be done for the final kit version.

One thing I am abit confused about, why spend this kind of cash on a fuel upgrade and limit the fuel feed cross section to a -6? For high HP applications a -8 would be minimum IMO.

#7 ·
I'm interested, but I would like to see a cleaner install under the hood also.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
Look closer...

Can the reg be mounted to the bracket for the brake resevoir? I thought I saw one mounted that way recently.
I think it's too close to the heat from the manifolds, but I'll look to see what room is there.

Those with a Procharger wouldn't benefit from that, though. And it must be 6" in front of the bell housing.
Would this be considered a "Fuel Block" then? That's really all that I can see that needs to be 6" up from the bell-housing.

Thank you.

#13 ·
I am in for something like this right now! Have 2300 begging to be installed before spring.

#15 ·
i might be going rear mount turbo so i might just be in the market for this

#20 ·
UPP part #Pickup002? LOL I guess I'm not following. The pickup is simply a bulk-head fitting installed into the top of the tank with a -6AN/3/8" tube inside that "picks up" fuel from the bottom rear of the tank. Same concept we do on the vettes.

You could also just install the bulk head into the bottom basin of the tank, then it would be just like a fuel cell, but with the steel brace in the way, and the added possibility of leaking, we've included everything to mount into the top of the tank, as it seems to be the simplest solution.

The install instructions will be posted up soon, this may clear things up a bit.

CK

#24 ·
I like your idea for an ad on system, keeping the factory fuel module assembly. One question, though. Most pumps don't like to feed from the top of the tank, most like to be gravity fed. Do you think that might be a problem? Have you had any systems like this out, on the street.

#25 ·
Yes, we've run plenty of systems like this before. We did alot of testing, and even completely dry the pump has NO problem pulling the fuel upwards. Once the systems is primed, it's even easier, as the pump sits way below the tank with longer line than what's vertical in the tank. This causes a siphoning effect.
The only down-side to this type of fuel system (or fuel cells) is since it does not have an actual bucket, fuel slosh is more prevalent. So you'll want to keep your tank above 1/8 or so to make sure there's always enough fuel to cover the pickup.

CK

#27 ·
You mean if we routed the pickup into the bucket? I'd assume that it could (with long throttle pull) run the bucket empty. So we just run the pickup straight into the tank, just like many of the racing fuel cell designs do.

The buckets are designed to trap the fuel in them and keep the pumps submerged when you're low on fuel, this way you don't get the sloshing shutter problems. We're trying to leave the stock system completely untouched so it operates as normal all the time and just pull fuel from the main cell as needed.

CK

#28 ·
(quote) The return is T'd back into the feed line, just before the fuel pump, an no, there are no cavitation issues. (quote)

Why don't you just return it back directly to the tank? Looks to me ( and I may very well be completely wrong) that having the return t'd into the feed line would keep looping the fuel, possibly causing problems.

#31 · (Edited)
You know, I've always thought about this too. The only drawbacks I could think of was, overheating the fuel. But with this setup, you'd have to be running WOT for a long time in order for this to have any negative effect like that.

The positive is that this allows fuel to keep being transfered back to the pump inlet, helping it keep fuel in the pickup line even when the pickup happens to hit a dry spot in the tank if it happens to be low. Plus, the heated fuel will never be returned back to the tank.

I like it! I would do a couple things differently if it were me. But I'd be confident running this system on my car.

Oh and yes, a -6AN line flows way more fuel than most people think. Plus, UPP's is running an additional 3/8th stock fuel line too. Which is approximately another -6AN line.

#29 ·
Does anybody know if this would work on a M-Series Maggie??

#34 ·
Yes, I'm sure we can adapt it to work whatever rails you may have!

That's the beauty of this system, is that it bolts to stock rails, but can easily be adapted. We're working with a setup for aftermarket rails (to be included as an upgrade for the kit). Most rail setups have capability for fittings at each end (usually 3/8" NPT), we just send you the fitting you need, and a different length of line. (If you like shoot me an email to ck@uppcos.com and I'll take a look at what you've got).

Your biggest issue would be finding another place to mount the regulator, but with the aluminum bracket, you could easily form it to suit your needs of a new location for it.

In terms of rerouting the lines back to the tank. When we originally designed this for the vettes, there isn't a whole lot of room by the tank, and we didn't want to be punching a bunch of unnecessary holes it it. This option seemed to work, and work well (much because of what Blowns already stated, keeping fuel constantly at the pump's inlet) so we just kept the same design and went with it.

CK

#32 ·
The Stock Maggie or LS2 Rails?

#35 ·
Wouldn't mind this as a stand alone for my nitrous setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.