LS1GTO Forums banner

Going to Sac raceway tomarrow

1K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  05TREXLS2 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I am heading to the track tomorrow morn. Racing starts at 12 noon. Any showers left are supposed to be before 10 AM. It is supposed to be 55 degrees tomarrow and no wind :turbonaug Cant imagine much better then that !

Only took this car out once since I bought it a few months ago. Last time it was 100 degrees and I drove 4 hours in traffic to get there :bomb: Can you say "heat soak" ? Best I manged was a 12.2 with a horrible 1.95xx 60 foot. Everyone was running poorly. New CTS-V auto was running 12.7s-12.8s @ 110-111 MPH with 2.0 60s so I guess I could have done worse.

Since last outing I will have a few things to help me.

1; about 50 degrees cooler temps lol

2; I got bugs worked out of my tune so I can now do a burnout to heat my DRs

3; Can now brake stall my car up where I couldnt before

4; hooked up my heater core to help chill water and get less heatsoak.

5; rigged up a switch to run my fans in between runs

wish me luck ! I'll be happy with an 11.9 but will be much happier with a sub 11.8 run. I'll post results good or bad dont worry.

See less See more
#3 ·
Good luck and have fun !!
11.81 @ 117.2 is my guess if you can get 1.8 60's.

#5 ·
Good luck out there.

#8 ·
ttt

in for results.

#9 · (Edited)
Got some results and a nice video of my new PB well had a bunch of PB today actually :)

Pretty close fellas. Results towards the bottom and will get video up ASAP. Was a PERFECT day. Nine runs in all and could have gotten many more. hot lapped the last three. Not sure of DA what it was 56 degrees, sunny and very few cars out there. Pulled right in after my long drive and got teched in. I didnt touch anything and lined right up to get warmed up.

Was a LOT of fun. I hooked up with a cool kid wit a Jeep SRT8 stroked to 7.0 or 426 ... We ran about 6 of these runs together maybe 7. First run we did together we looked over at each other right before the 1/4 marker smiled and gave thumbs up. I was getting him on every run but we got very close a couple times. In fact my PB was 11.8 to his 11.9. My trap was always a good 3 MPH faster and I was pulling him up top every time of course. Last 4 runs were all done in 1 minutes every one we ran side by side. Was fun stuff ! Nothing like pulling a AWD stroked SRT8 off the line to make your day. I felt a little bad for him. He said he spent about $16K to mod that truck like that. Ouch. I didnt have the heart to tell him I paid 17K for my whole car with mods included :)

1# Ran a 12.2 @ 114 MPH / 2.0xx 60 foot.

Cooled her off a bit then ran again.

#2 12.12@115.26 / 1.92 7.89 8th @ 95.7 MPH

#3 11.915 @115.25 / 1.902 7.707 8th @94.99 MPH Yay 11s I am happy camper now :turbonaug

#4 11.849@115.37 / 1.852 7.641 @ 94.94 MPH PB for the night :)

Went back out after only 15 minute cool down.. was too excited

#5 11.858@115.17 1.868 7.65@95.05 :) Pretty damn close to last run, no fluke at least.

#6 12.43@110 / 2.0 8.1@93 MPH RAN OUT OF GAS ON PASS LITERALLY :bomb: Totally cut out on me before the 1.4 marker and I let off . Coasted in behind stands on got a couple gallons from someone.

Let the hot lapping begin !! Only 10 minute later I get another run. Would have been sooner but had to refuel LOL

#7 11.909@115.64 / 1.907 7.71@95.08

3 minutes later (yes 3 minutes) I tried a new burnout method and tried stabbing the throttle right away without any success. Was fun spinning most of 1st gear down the track.

#8 12.66@114.49 / 2.11 8.3@90.6

time for one last run before it closes ! TWO minutes later !!

# 9 12.026@115.85 / 1.993 7.87@94.90 No apparent heat soaking with my heater core mod I'd say. Was highest trap of the night for me.

All in all I am very pleased with my results. Clearly with a better driver or better setup this car can get to 11.4-11.5 range. A 1.7 60 foot would have netted a 11.55-11.6 if every tenth on your 60 gives .15 in the 1/4. Good driver should be able to pull a 1.6 with the stall I would think. I also didnt touch my tire pressure. It was at 22 PSI. Thinking I should have tried 18-20. I am running NT05-Rs.

I have decided to get a smaller pulley instead of cam for now. Mainly because it will cost me $100 and give me an extra 25-30 WHP :turbonaug good bang for the buck. Not getting any KR at all so I am going for it.

#10 · (Edited)
Lastly I am addressing this 1/4 mile trap speed at Sac. It is for a fact off. I confirmed it all day long. Talking to lots of other experienced drivers they all said they were off 2-3 MPH on the 1/4 but their 8th was dead on. They were very familiar with their cars and what traps other cars were running with same mods at other tracks too. I also V-boxed half my runs including my PB. My PB trap on Vbox was 118xxx which is about right when you look at my 1/8th mile. All my V-box run were 117xx to 118xx. Now my ET was off by just under a tenth on Vbox every run , reading a little slower then I actually ran. Another guy had a V-box and was getting the same exact drop in MPH on the 1/4. Now I know some of you guys go to Infineon and get similar traps but I personally had always heard that track is hard to get good traps speeds out of probably due to headwind. V-box are very accurate. Could be off maybe 1/2 MPH at times but not this much. So to all of your who ran recently know that your cars were really trapping a good 2 MPH faster.

#11 · (Edited)
Couple pics and vid of my PB

#12 · (Edited)
Glad to see you had some fun out there and got a ton of runs in. We had quite a bit of cars in general last week, this sounded like the great day weather wise and crowd wise. Congrats on running an 11.8 at 115. I was pretty close on my guess with an 11.81 @ 117... You say the mph is off by at least 2 so that almost puts my guess dead on. I'm hoping your correct on the mph being off by 2 and I guess if I go to Infineon on the 25th it will prove it. Your car got off the line fairly well it seemed, what rpm were you able to stall it at ? I just looked at the d.a. and it was between -381 and -250 most of the day !! Man I wish I could of been there today, I would have gotten my first 11.9X pass as well. You should try to make it out to Infineon when we go in 2 weeks, we would be a pretty good race.... With you edging me out of course. :wall:

#13 · (Edited)
Thank you, it was a lot of fun. Was also very happy with a 7.6 8th and trapping 95 MPH :)

I was stalling it to about 1800 RPM. I still cant get close to going WOT off the line. Will just spin through 1st if I do. Lot of TQ with the Maggie. Could drop another 1/10th with a lighter driver, I am 250 :bomb: Lighter and better driver I am sure could get this car to 11.4-11.5 range.

Forgot to mention I still had baby seat and junk in the back :)

Neg DA .... kind of a bummer. Was hoping it wasnt that low if that makes any sense. Runs were all between 12:40 and 4 PM. Same SRT8 driver ran Wed night and was getting lots of 11.9s so I bet it was even better that night. I would have gotten a 11.9xx last time out when it was 2400 DA on my 12.2 pass if I had gotten the same 1.85 60 I got today.

Looking at your times yeah we sure would be a good match up. Cam sure seems to be running well. I'm going to pull the trigger on a smaller pulley and get another 25-30 WHP ASAP. I am not seeing any KR at all and I think I have a very conservative tune so it should be plenty safe.

What would be perfect is for me to bring the V-box to the other track and see how it compares. Takes out a lot of factors.

#14 ·
#15 ·
Damn by 6 PM the DS went way down to -1200 ..... too bad they didnt run later today.

Even an hour after my last run it went from -300 to -700. I think by 8 it was -1300

It is -1600 right now lol

#19 ·
Thanks man, hopefully next time out at least a few members can make it out. Jeep guy was very cool though.

Oh There was a 04 E55 AMG who only had headers, pulley tune running 10.98@127 MPH ... Always liked those cars. Said it ran 11.7 stock with DRs.

ZR1 who did headers , intake, pulley said he is expecting 9.99 with slicks. He didnt actually run but said he got a 10.6 bone stock with tires. That is nuts

#17 ·
Congrats on getting into the 11's! The Vbox is always going to read higher than what any 1/4 mile track says because your 1/4 MPH is not actually what your MPH is at the end of the 1/4 mile, it is an average of two points near the finish line.

#18 ·
Thank you :)

I looked this up and you are correct. The V-box shows your true speed at the finish line while the track they calculate it. The trap speed however is only 1 MPH max over what a track should read. There is also a easy formula to get it the exactly the same as the track.

Here is someone who posted how to calculate it and it gets it virtually dead on with what a track should read. I'll do that with my slips and see what the real traps should be. I beleive my highest trap was around 118.5 and only read 115.35 on the slip. So my real true speed at the finish was in fact 118.xx but an accurate track would have shown it to be 117.xx

Here it is , his traps were exactly 1 MPH higher on his V-box not up to 3 like I was getting ;

So, I looked at my logs and found that my speed at 1260 ft for the first run was 115.25 mph.
115.25 + 117.20 = 232.45
232.44/2 = 116.23 mph

Run 2 is...

115.54 + 117.60 = 233.14
233.14/2 = 116.57

I don't know about you guys, but I would say that the Vbox does a pretty darn good job with providing acceleration results.

Now, when I compare the trap from the track to the Vbox, I get the following:

Run 1
116.21 (Famoso) vs 116.23 (Vbox)

Run 2
116.50 (Famoso) vs 116.57 (Vbox)

#23 ·
The event on Sunday is a elimination type day with test runs from 8:30am - 1pm or 1:30. Then eliminations are From then till 4. From what I hear cars will probably get about 3 maybe 4 runs in before eliminations.

#25 ·
Trophy class runs first right after 8am.

#24 ·
the 2 times i went there i couldn't hook in my camaro and my buddy was there yesterday and he said it was about the same.

#26 ·
So how many people generally turn out at these events ? Are you usually waiting in staging lanes for around an hour between runs ? I did Sac one time on a Wed night drags and it was like 3 runs for 4 hours. TONS of people and lots of waiting. I found it to be very frustrating.

#27 ·
There is a lot of time in between runs, worse than wednesday nights. But you get the best track conditions possible, pretty much on the entire west coast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.