LS1GTO Forums banner

Monster Stage 3 Arrived!

2K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Radio 
#1 ·
Well the stock clutch with 85K on the clock and some new found boost was not up to the task. It is no fun having to get out of the gas due to a slipping clutch. I was hoping to make a trip to the track and a dyno run but that will not happen until I get this baby installed.

I wish I could stick all that crap under my pillow and the clutch fairy would come by and install it for me. Oh well, it will be a winter project along with a punch list of items to take care of from my turbo build.

I picked up the Monster Stage 3 Premium kit with GM bolts, remote bleeder and all the other little goodies. This is not a DD for me so I think I will be able to live with the ceramic clutch.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I will be putting on 3,000 miles max and maybe 10-15 1/4 passes. I hope it last for a LONG time. Speaking of which, seems like there is not much clutch material over the rivet that holds the material to the puck. I presume it wares very slow (i hope).

the stage 3 is mild compared to other stage 3 clutches ive felt very very streatable. The clutch swap isnt as bad as what you might think. the hardest part is unbolting an removing the tranny from the bellhousing and then reinstalling it after the clutch is in.
Glad to hear it has good street manners but not being a DD I can do without the twin disk. Looking forward to getting it in. Driving it 500 miles and not beating on it will be the hardest part by far!!!

I think it literally took me 3 hours on a lift to replace my clutch and add remote bleeder 100% by myself, cadillacing the entire time
I have access to a lift but will likely be doing it in my garage along with other things I wanted to do to the car. Maybe I should be re-thinking that!

While I am in there I am going to change out the trans fluid and maybe replace the front seal.

#3 ·
Well the stock clutch with 85K on the clock and some new found boost was not up to the task. It is no fun having to get out of the gas due to a slipping clutch. I was hoping to make a trip to the track and a dyno run but that will not happen until I get this baby installed.

I wish I could stick all that crap under my pillow and the clutch fairy would come by and install it for me. Oh well, it will be a winter project along with a punch list of items to take care of from my turbo build.

I picked up the Monster Stage 3 Premium kit with GM bolts, remote bleeder and all the other little goodies. This is not a DD for me so I think I will be able to live with the ceramic clutch.
I got to drive my buddies 04 with a Stage 3 in it and it's actually very streetable. He DD his and aside from the odd chattering from not beating on it all the time like he should, it's a great clutch!

#4 ·
the stage 3 is mild compared to other stage 3 clutches ive felt very very streatable. The clutch swap isnt as bad as what you might think. the hardest part is unbolting an removing the tranny from the bellhousing and then reinstalling it after the clutch is in.

#12 ·
i think mine took 5-6 hours my bell housing was stuck on the dowel pins and i milled out the opening on the bottom of my housing a little bit also so that took a bit of time.
Two people now have said that the bell housing was stuck to the motor via the dowel pins. Sounds like this might be a common problem. Seems like it would be hard to get to the pins? Is it easy to access? Can you hit on the housing with a rubber mallet to break it loose or pry on it? Hopefully mine comes right apart but probably not with the mileage I have on mine.

Cant wait to get it installed, it is so bad now I am ready to park the car for the winter. I am excited for spring to hit the track and the dyno.

#13 ·
Two people now have said that the bell housing was stuck to the motor via the dowel pins. Sounds like this might be a common problem. Seems like it would be hard to get to the pins? Is it easy to access? Can you hit on the housing with a rubber mallet to break it loose or pry on it? Hopefully mine comes right apart but probably not with the mileage I have on mine.

Cant wait to get it installed, it is so bad now I am ready to park the car for the winter. I am excited for spring to hit the track and the dyno.
its just from the corrosion of the metal dowel pins and the aluminum. Once you get the tranny its self out of the way you will have some room to get to it. Just hold your tounge the right way it will come out.

#7 ·
ive got around 15k miles i think on mine. LOTS of abuse.

they monsters hold up quite well.

#8 ·
Hey after that clutch fairy is done with your send him to my house he should be able to do mine in no time after yours lol

#14 ·
Well if you have all winter to do this then I wouldn't be worried. I needed by car back together by Monday for work.

There are two slots on the side of the trans, maybe 2 o'clock and 11 o'clock positions you can get a long screw driver and try to pry at the trans. be careful since they are aluminum. Spray some penetrating oil around as well...can't hurt.

And like LsSlow said, it's all in the angle of the dangle getting the trans in and out. I found it good to put a jack under the bellhousing/motor mating faces to relieve the tension put on the assembly by the hanging trans. A trans jack is HIGHLY recommended.

#15 ·
Ok, thanks for all the advice guys. I have done this a bunch of times but it has been on classic american muscle. This will be my first time on a LS2/T56 combo but I assume it should be very similar with the exception of the hydraulics as opposed to manual clutch fork setup. I am going to have to hunt down a transmission jack to make this a little easier on myself. :)

#18 ·
ls7

#20 ·
GM partshouse

#21 ·
My Monster 3 has been a great clutch(aside from the chatter from not beating it.)
I have around 25k miles on mine, only thing i've had to do was slightly adjust the pedal engagement point at about 15k miles...

#24 ·
Took me a little under 6 hours to pull the trans, replace the slave with an fbody slave, pulled the clutch and put everything back together. Done on jackstands. Putting the trans back in was the hardest. I think i. Could be done in 4 hours.

#25 ·
Cool. Sounds like I could easily knock it out in a weekend taking my time. Now that I got my garage all cleaned up and organized it is time to mess it up again with a clutch install. I was going to wait until the dead of winter to install it but now I am thinking I shoulld throw it in now then I can get some break in miles on it all the sooner.

I also plan on updating my hot side for the turbo piping. Putting in a catch can. Meth injection and perhaps an exhaust cutout of some sort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.