LS1GTO Forums banner

Remote start in a 2006 GTO

16K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Ccas1382 
#1 ·
I have a viper 5901 system that I am looking to install in my car and have a few questions left?

I have done a lot of researching and searching in general and have found some good info and diagrams.

My question is that in my search I have found that some people have stated that you do not have to sacrifice a key in the 2006 models but have never stated how to go about it this way.
I just want some on to verify if this is possible and if so how before I go and buy a key to use to install the system.

#2 ·
where are you located?

#4 ·
I had a 2-way remote start/alarm Viper system installed on my GTO. My installer did need to use one of my keys and even then it would only remote start properly if you disarmed the car using the factory fob first.

Apparently the GTO's security system is a rather big PITA. Good luck

#6 ·
You need to sacrifice a key. Its about the chip in it. It gets placed in with the system so that you can remote start it. It "tricks" the car into thinking the key is in it. Great Viper system BTW

#7 ·
I am using a Viper 5901 that Josh aka LSPWR installed with the remote start, no key was lost.

Easy fix with HPT

#10 ·
That is one way to look at it... Another way would be... So, if I disable VATS I don't have to hide an expensive key fob in my car, which if found by the theif would make it just as easy to still the car, and I won't have to tear the dash apart everytime the battery in the fob dies?

In my eyes it is 6 one way and half a dozen the other... I have a hp tuner and I disabled VATS. I have a top of the line 2 way VIPER which has starter disable, remote start and a better than factory alarm. And coming from a guy who had another car broken into 6 years ago with a VIPER alarm... If a theif wants whats in the car or the car they can get it... and if they don't take the car they will do so much damage to the car & dash that you will wish they had stollen it and totaled it, cause it will never be the same again. :(

#11 ·
I have the 5901 installed in my 04.
Instead of sacrificing the whole key, my installer took out the chip inside the key and used that. So I was still able to use the actual key part in the ignition. This also removes the unlock/lock button inside the black part, but that does not matter at all because 100% of the time, you will be using the viper unlock/lock control instead. I like that the factory alarm system does not have to be bypassed because the factory ignition kill is VERY advanced. Leaving it alone is the way to go. Me and the installer tried so many ways to "hotwire" my car, but with no success. When we bypassed the factory alarm and only the viper was in use, we WERE able to hotwire it. Believe it or not LOL. With only the viper activated(and no factory alarm), its easy for any car thief to find the viper unit and disable it. But with the factory alarm still in play, even if they do find and deactivate the Viper unit, the factory is the back up. And the factory VATS won't let you hotwire the car no matter what.

And about the previous post, the battery in the key fob is not an issue. The only part used in the fob for the viper to work is a resistor. As long as the car senses the resistor, it works. The battery is only for the unlock/lock button.

#12 ·
as stated above Ive never seen anyone not use the key or its "guts". thats pretty normal for any remote start on most vehicals

#13 ·
. . . . . lots of confused, ill advised info in here. . . . .

How is the factory vats system any different than any other car out there. . . Wait, it's still only a small hurdle for a thief. And a thief, intelligent enough to find, AND disable a properly installed aftermarket alarm is probably intelligent enough to know towing your car is easier.
As well, there is a hand held computer available that will disable your factory immobilizer system and all that is needed is access to the obd2 connector. . . . . Food for thought. . .

#15 ·
I'm with this guy on the factory VATS. Where there is a will there is a way. A lock only keeps on honest man out.

#16 ·

I used the above diagram from DEI except i pulled the chip out of my key, big PITA since I only had a box cutter when I tried to do it, and soldered directly on the board. This saved me the actual key blade so I could buy another fob and attach. I used a mini relay instead of a full size one and was able to stash the entire set up under the fuse cover on the back, circled in red. I've installed remote starts for over 5 years and mine was my first GTO and I was surprised how easy of an install it was.

As far as ecetim's concern about the factory alarm system, that is 100% correct. When you start the install unlock the car using the button on the key and never lock it with it again otherwise you'll wake up the neighbors.

#17 ·
I feel the need to speak up yet again about the various methods of bypassing vats for RS.
I using the sacrificed key method, a thief can start the car by simply swapping pin 30 to pin 87a of the relay being used. No tools required.
If disabling via HPT, and using the aftermarket alarm as the starter kill, a thief would have to locate the 2 wires used in the alarm starter kill, cut them, and then splice them back together. Takes a few minutes longer, and requires knowledge of various brands of alarm systems.
All relays however work the same, so the hide a key,chip,fob however you want to say it is easier to bypass for a thief.

#18 · (Edited)
Had to jump back in this thread for a min. My VATS is actually messing up in my car. I'll start the car runs for a few seconds then shuts off and I have to remove the key hit unlock again and then restart the car. Its fine after that and although it doenst happen all the time and doesnt leave me stranded its still a pain in the ass. So my though was that since I hate our factory remotes anyway because of their terrible range why not just disable VATS and install a viper smart start system. This should solve me problem correct?

Have tuner disable VATS
Install R/S
Use R/S key fob to unlock/lock/start car
Enjoy not having to be within 10ft of the car to use my remote.
Use my smart phone to see what temperature the inside of my car is on cold winter morning and hot humid summer afternoons
Enjoy not paying $150.00 for a new fob from GM.

Anybody see any reason why this wouldn't work?

#22 ·
Do any of you have an M6? If so how do you go about disabling the clutch to start system?

#24 ·
Just make sure to leave the car in neutral when you park it or its gonna be a bad day.....

#25 ·
Doesnt the GTO have steering lock..? If so, then starting the car no matter how, doesnt matter as it will be be hard to drive. Always think that when in Hollywood they jusy hot wire the car and drive off without disabling the column lock.

#26 ·
Remote starters don't work that way, you still have to put your key in the ignition and turn it otherwise when you press the brake pedal it kills the engine, The only purpose of remote starting a car is to let the engine warm up so you don't have to get in a freezing car in the winter or in a hot car in the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.