LS1GTO Forums banner

L92 Heads/Info and Owners In Here

619K views 4K replies 247 participants last post by  twistedneck 
#1 · (Edited)
Always a lot of talk so I have comprised a list of all the owners with L92 heads and a stock bottom end. I have also done my best to obtain cam specs and track times.

See the redone list below in post #7.

If I missed anyone please let me know as well as if I stated something incorrectly.

Also if any of you can fill in the places where there are ??? that would be great.

#3,690 ·
I'm not sure if its the ls2 tb or just the way the tps in the dbw cars are, as I have never used an ls3 tb with my setup. Every ls2 car i've seen only reads 88% at wot/fully open. To my knowledge the ls3 tb doesn't open any further or give more flow

#3,693 ·
Word it was snowing the day I did my first cam swap. Never too cold to mod

#3,694 · (Edited)
Ugh I am still sitting on the edge trying to decide if I want to do this or not. I am very close to wimping out and just sticking with my stock stuff. Just seems stupid when I am going down to the lifter level already. Just no idea where to get milled and don;t want to end up having to fly cut. If no fly cutting was 1000% ensured it may be a different story. </rant>

Edit: Also no measuring pushrods, screwing that up, waiting for them to ship, etc.

#3,695 ·
Make a decision yet?

#3,696 ·
Haha sadly no. Baby has been taking up all our time lately. AI porting my heads + cam from them was moving up the list as I would know exactly what I am getting and be able to order and install.

#3,697 ·
Anybody have a line on where I could pick up a set of used 823's? I've been trying to find a pair to ship down to EdC but I have been striking out.

I believe Jegs sells a brand new set for $750, so if I get desperate enough I may go that route.

#3,700 ·
Me. But my t-stat decided to take a dump on me about 200 miles after. Regardless, you will have to keep checking the coolant levels as bubbles make their way out and top off accordingly. I would recommend driving it in the evening and as it cools off, take the cap off and leave it off over night. Top off in the morning accordingly.

#3,702 ·
Guess I'll post up here:

Lunati 227/235, .6xx,.6xx, 114
OEM LS3 top end. Heads milled .030, Pistons flycut .030

471/410 at the wheels

#3,705 ·
Guess I'll post up here:

Lunati 227/235, .6xx,.6xx, 114
OEM LS3 top end. Heads milled .030, Pistons flycut .030

471/410 at the wheels

Stock bottom end?

#3,703 ·
Glad you got rid of that vtec bump.

#3,706 ·
I guess that's what happens when you have a LS2 with LS3 heads and a PCM that thinks it is controlling a LS1 :shiner:

Stock bottom end?
Yep. 65,000 mile bottom end.

#3,711 ·
Did you end up fly-cutting, MuhThugga?

#3,714 ·
Using lsl lobes for both intake and exhaust here. My thinking is the same as yours that a mid 220-low 230's duration cam works best with these heads and the weight of the Gto.

#3,718 ·
i have a set of ls3 heads, intake with fuelrails and 42 pound injectors. i am planning on link bar lifters and mill the heads 20. i need rockers and stands. what gasket thickness would anyone suggest? i would like 11 to 11.5 compression. i am also looking at a torque 2 cam. i am running a speed density tune so i don't need a maf. any thoughts or suggestions. tks

#3,726 ·
Texas speed does. 4.080 bore and 0.040 crush thickness. I used them in my build and did use copper spray. I haven't had any problems.

#3,722 ·
#3,723 ·
I'm glad you posted this. I was going to put some thinner gaskets on this summer and switch to E85, and I was wondering, whats a safe, tight quench distance? I was leaning towards a set of .035 x 4.100. My compression will be at 11.7:1.

#3,725 ·
My pistons are flush with the deck, and dished so my quench area is really compromised vs a flat top piston. It never even occurred to me when I built my motor.

#3,728 ·
nah your quench pad is still there on the piston, mirror of the flat part of the head. The dish is opposite the chamber side.
if your pistons are 0 deck and they don't rock more than say .018 or .020 then a .036 thickness should work ok. If you have some larger bore clearance or due to the skirt design it rocks more..then I'd leave a little more room

#3,734 ·
Does anyone know what the max is I can mill the L92 heads? I'm trying to get up to 12.5:1 compression this summer and switch to E85, and I'm using a combination of thinner .040 gaskets and milling.

I'm currently milled .040" at 64ccs, and I'd like to get them to 60ccs or lower.

#3,735 ·
I would think that 0.040 milled would be about 62cc? No?

#3,737 ·
I'm milled .040" also.

Have you fly cut the pistons already? We had to fly it mine.

#3,738 ·
Dished forged pistons with valve reliefs.

#3,741 ·
You don't. If you have GM gaskets, just make sure that your mating surfaces are as clean as possible. Any other basket such as Cometics might call for copper head gasket sealant spray.

#3,742 · (Edited)
I can't launch worth a damn on the track, so my ET is pathetic. However, my best time at the track, at the beginning of April, was 12.6 @ 121mph. 2.2 sixty foot time:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.