LS1GTO Forums banner

Gforce Carbon Fiber driveshaft review thread

60K views 426 replies 95 participants last post by  Turbo kid 
#1 ·
Ok guys.. It's time to take a moment to share your install and drivability experiences of the new Gforce Engineering Carbon Fiber Driveshafts.

I know who you are and where you live :)
If you dont jump in here, I'll send my boys by for a visit, LOL
:pimp:

Ok.. you got me, my boys are only 8 and 10 year olds but I'll send em over, LOL

#2 ·
OK I'll go first.

The driveshaft came very quickly after the billet yoke. The driveshaft is Carbon Fiber and made by PST. Both the DS and the Yoke are a work of art IMO. Without lab testing these pieces look as though they will handle more than any of us are making in the HP/TQ area so I'll leave it at that.
The install was a breeze and everything fits very tight,with no slack. Make sure y'all grind down the seatbelt bolt and round over the welded nut for extra insurance.
Performance is on par with the quality of the driveshaft.After having two DSS shafts and being shafted by one of them this driveshaft is much nicer(10x) Its well worth the money if you can afford it. If your puting down serious power and TQ you cant afford not to have it......PERIOD..!
When the weather is nice I'll add more input as to its performance at HIGH SPEED. Until then I'm just enjoying the hell out of it.
Hands down a premium part for the GTO.:)

#10 ·
I have one installed in the GTO now. I've put about 3K+ miles on the set-up and I have 0 complaints to date. I did not do the install since I was overseas when it came in, but from what I was told, it was not that hard to do. Just had to make sure the bolts were ground down to leave adequate clearance for the shaft to rotate.

I have yet to blast down the 1320 myself. Driving around town and even up to 160+ mph (shhhh) I haven't experience any vibration issues which is awesome considering the Driveshaft comes in 2 different shipments. Chris has someone manufacture the Driveshaft itself and he does the Billet Yokes. Considering that it's 2 different shipments and everything is balanced....Very precise manufacturing tolerances.

Speaking on the Yokes....very VERY nice piece of machined AL there. It's art in itself the machining is so well done. I'm impressed by the overall craftsmanship and design of the billet pieces.

Customer Service is an easy 10+. Everything was said and done FROM IRAQ MIND YOU in about 30 minutes overall. Thanks again Chris. So far you are in a very small group of people with customer service I rank this high.

Quality of the parts...so far I've beaten the shit out of them except for launching hard on it and it's taking everything with easy. (TT set-up. 550RWTQ, 540 RWHP). I'll have to split the difference here and say 10 on looks and I'll hold at 8/9'ish until I do a wicked Clutch drop on it and see how it holds up. More than likely, the rest of the car will have issues. Not this driveshaft. I'll wager on the 1/2 shafts going out 1st.

For myself, the reason for getting the Carbon Fiber was the weight savings and the way Chris took care of the sale. It's only about $300 more than an AL piece and easily as strong from what I can tell. I have the rear of the car in the air so I can snap some pics for people if they need more pictures to look at. If you can spare the extra coin, it's worth the price.

#12 ·
Very good initial review. Thanks for sharing your opinions and comments. My CF shaft is being sent out today and Chris' worked diff is already FedEx'd out. Both should be here by end of week. Woot!!!!

Have to agree with you on Chris's level of service to date. Very reachable, responsive and informative.

Looking forward to seeing how your setup performs when you really push it. Keep us updated :)

#14 ·
We need some M6 reviews. I've heard that the CF does not hold well for M6 cars but I am hoping that is false cause I want one!!

#15 ·
As soon as I get thru this ridiculously Bad-luck sprinkled Wilwood Swap I'll be able to do a clutch drop at say 4K or so and we'll see what happens. That all depends on the weather though. They are calling for T-Storm level of rain thru late Saturday. I'll be on a plane back to Chicago early Saturday morning. God I wish this damn brake install would be done. (I'm looking for a replacement 3/8-24 AL 12 point nut. Damn near impossible to find around here. I might have to ask someone who works at the airfields to snag me one)

#21 ·
I purchased the CF shaft/yoke and level II shafts for my 05' M6 (450/400rwhp). Cust. service is top notch and everything was delivered as promised with tracking #'s. I had the yoke and true trac/gears installed at a drive train specialty shop outside Detroit and they were very impressed with the billet yoke :turbonaug.
After cutting the rear bolts flush I also ground part of the curved oval washer for additional clearance. I also pushed the parking brake cable bracket up slightly towards to tunnel for more clearance there.
The shaft itself was a perfect fit and is secured to the rear yoke with a Spicer (Made in USA) U Bolt kit. I was unable to use the top loop of the BMR DS loop due to clearance but may fit if reworked some.
I will post next week as far as performance as I still need an alignment before I flog it but I'm sure the tranny/clutch (Z06) is now the "weak link" :bomb: It's just too bad that you can't appreciate these parts rolling down the road but I know!!! :)
Thanks Chris!!!

#34 ·
OK Already, just don't sick the kids on me :) I'm Finally on the road again and can post a limited review: First of all the main reason I upgraded the rear sus. was because of massive wheel hop on my M6. I have now installed G Force CF DS/ Billet Yoke & Level II shafts, Pedders springs and GoodYear Asemetric tyers. Also 3.91 gears with Eaton True Trac Posi. Since I've changed so many things at once I can't vouch for what one thing did the trick, but I can state that my wheel hop has disappeared on the street :) Nothing but two black stripes through first and second from a roll. I have not yet "Dumped" the clutch for a Holeshot or been to the dragway but it is smooth as silk to 100mph.., so far so good :turbonaug Just had an alighnment today and have a set of MT DR's on 17s' coming soon so I'll post up when I do it right.

#26 ·
Ya, Well if I break this CF Shaft then I shall where it as a "Badge of Honor" :) My issue is eliminating wheel hop on an M6 with decent HP. Although it seems that it is a combination of drive line parts that cause it, the stock drive shaft and half shafts seem to be the main culprit, along with tires and springs. I have addressed these issues and will post asap. Still need to roll rear wheel well lips and align suspension. :rolleyes:

#32 ·
Ok guys, I know you are all busy and happy as hell with the new carbon fiber driveshafts and billet yokes.. but it's time for some reviews.
I've shipped close to 20 of these bad boys since the initial release so I know your out there, LOL
Thanks
Chris

#38 ·
send me one for free with my rear end and i'll let you know what i think.. i'll even write a full page reivew and test them up to the 160 mph governer... wait i got a tuner, maybe a lil faster now when i get the 3.91...

#43 ·
one will do, but if you wanna throw in some bolt together stubs and level 2 halfshafts i'd take those too lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.