LS1GTO Forums banner

UPP Twin Turbo Dyno Time

13K views 115 replies 42 participants last post by  ShadowGTO06 
#1 · (Edited)
I'd like to tell a short story of yesterday's occurrences to cover the latest dyno session.

Arrived at J&J Performance around 5:30pm for a tuning appointment at 6:00pm with Jeremy Formato. As I was pulling in Jeremy was going out with another customer in his STS GTO for a quick street drive to check over the car. There was also an f-body Camaro strapped onto the dyno waiting for Jeremy to tune - and not long after I pulled in a trailer came up with yet another f-body. Turns out Jeremy had to do the two Camaros before I had my chance. Fast forward until about 9:30pm and the Goat is finally strapped down.

Jeremy makes a base line pull to see how the car is doing from the tune he did up in Tampa while the car was having the misfire issue - 502/48x but leaning out on the top end. Jeremy adjusts the fueling some and the car makes 508/49x still leaning out. One more adjustment to fueling and another pull later still running out of fuel on the top end - bad news. The fueling system of the car cannot keep up with the demand. At this point I was disappointed because this is yet another failed dyno session, but more on my part for not getting a BAP. So I asked Justin, the shop owner, if he has a BAP that he can sell me; but unfortunately no.

Now we are just hanging around pissed off since the twin turbo setup is running flawlessly, just fueling. Suddenly Justin remembers that he does indeed have one so I immediately tell him I'll buy it. About 45 minutes later the KB BAP is installed, albeit a bit ghetto.

The reasoning for the ghetto wire is it was already 11:00pm and we didn't want to spend the time pulling apart the interior and stuff to route the wire - so it is a temporary route for tuning purposes. Jeremy was taking a food break so we put on a fuel pressure gauge on the rail in the meantime. Come next pull the fuel pressure is at 56psi and doesn't move one bit - success! Since the car was nice and cool it put down 539/515 on 15 degrees of timing. After some more fuel adjustments Jeremy gets the AFR in line, then tackles timing. He tries 17 degrees of timing up top but there is slight knock, so he drops it down to 16 degrees which is where it sits at now. The car heatsoaked from the tuning so the final pulls were 521/517, I think it is safe to say if we had allowed the car to cool fully it would break 550, which I am more than happy with being an A4. Oh by the way, we got the car off of the dyno at 1:10am. :bomb:

Cool, dyno tuning is complete - time to just drive around on the street some to check the tune. Part throttle and full throttle in the car feels amazing - and it hooks in 2nd gear! (I didn't try first)

So without further ado, here is the video and graphs from last night. Also a couple pulls from street tuning - I apologize for the wind noise in those clips.

Link to a full mod list for the car is in my signature.

Edit: Here are some street pulls:

First pull: 40-125mph pull - very strong with no traction loss.
Second pull: 50-85mph pull - slight hazing of the tires.
Final pull: First gear - I knew it would blow the tires off, but did it for shits and giggles. Car hit the rev limiter on the 3rd gear shift so I let off.

Edit 2: Redyno'd the car at a dyno day (same dyno as tuned on) for fun, put down 544/508.

See less See more
2 5
#2 ·
What fuel pump and injector size you are running? I'm not up in power as you are, just 445/502 with the Deatsch Werks DW65C and at 7 lbs sometimes it dips to 10's on my AFR since I'm running a MAF tune. Going back to get it adjusted and bring it up to 9 lbs, so I hope I don't have the same problem you have.

#3 ·
See the mod list! :bat:

Haha, just kidding. Walbro 255 (LPE install kit) and 60# injectors. I honestly thought I didn't need a BAP myself from reading other threads - but I had still wanted to get one. Well in the end I did get one. :shiner:

#4 ·
Congrats man !!!! Nice numbers really and it good you got everything figured out. This is a stock bottom car I assume ?

#6 ·
Thanks, it's definitely been a long journey haha. Yup, stock bottom end.

Amazingly almost 500 torque through redline! Can a twin screw do that? Centrifical...pffft.

What exhaust? Cats? Psi?
UPP 3" down-pipes, custom 3" mid-pipes stepped down to 2.5" Borla catback. I removed the x-pipe from the Borla catback, so the mid-pipes connect to the axle-back portion. The car is running 8 psi off of gates - no plans for a boost controller.

#7 ·
#9 ·
Autos tend to run out of fuel quicker than manuals but thats only during extensive pulls with actual gear changes. Plus your actual WOT is so short (from 4.25K and up) its odd your running out in such a short time frame.

#27 ·
Formato was stumped himself as to how it was running out of fuel so quickly. Below 5500rpm the AFR was nice and dialed in, but past that it would start to lean out. He added a ton of fuel and the AFR up top didn't budge - so we knew it was out of fuel.

Really nice numbers. Do you still have the stock cam in the car? I didn't see in your other threads where you switched it, but I did see where you put the LS3 heads on top with the stock cam.

164hp over your previous mods... pretty awesome. How does it feel compared to pre-boost? The charts don't show down low... do you have a lot more torque down low than you did with just the ls3 heads?
That's the only downside to the A4, you can't get lower RPMs in the dyno pulls. Since the turbos spool up relatively quickly down-low power if definitely there - even just driving slightly spiritedly instead of WOT it is still a noticeable difference. As for the cam it is still stock.

Do you have a before dyno?
Indeed, http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430787

Very nice Robert, congrats!
Thanks Rick, it's been a long time coming.

Great numbers, Congats!

If I read your mod list correctly, that is with a stock cam and torque converter?
Mhmm, stock cam and stall.

So aside from all the numbers, technical jargon, and what not, I have one question......

IS IT FUN?

CK
I only did 2 WOT pulls on the street after the dyno (the ones at the end of the video), but the car definitely moved out. Even before the car was fully tuned it was really fun.

All that and still on the stock cam. Get a nice blower cam in there, and you'll see some big numbers! Congrats!

nice! a proper turbo cam for those heads would do wonders
Thanks! If I do change the cam it will be for a LS9 cam. I'm not too much of a fan of the aftermarket lopey cams, I like the stock sound.

#10 ·
Nice. Good to see that everything is worked out. Now I just got to get off my lazy ass and get mine installed.

#11 ·
Really nice numbers. Do you still have the stock cam in the car? I didn't see in your other threads where you switched it, but I did see where you put the LS3 heads on top with the stock cam.

164hp over your previous mods... pretty awesome. How does it feel compared to pre-boost? The charts don't show down low... do you have a lot more torque down low than you did with just the ls3 heads?

#13 ·
All that and still on the stock cam. Get a nice blower cam in there, and you'll see some big numbers! Congrats!

#25 · (Edited)
Heads aren't stock though...I'm wondering how much difference they make. I am also wondering if an LS9 cam would help a bit. I know a custom cam from Ed would.

If he's gonna try to shit on something he doesn't own, might as well shove shit right back at him, eh?
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one..and some even talk through them. :) Dust your shoulder off bro your car is sick. :)

#17 ·
Nice

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#29 ·
Fixed the portion of the video that had the video blacked out.

True. I don't know though, I'm 99.9% sure that I am done with power adders on the car now. My next set of mods will be drivetrain related for sure.

#31 ·
With a stock bottom end and auto trans with no cooler/upgraded pan I'm already pushing my luck. Plus in the next month the car probably won't even move out of the garage. :p

#33 ·
Ultimately I want to do an M6 swap because I enjoy the manual more. Sure it may be slower, but I use the car for enjoyment not raw speed. If I don't do the M6 swap I'll go with a built transmission from RPM.

#35 ·
I'd like to do a TR6060, but a local APS GTO may be interested in a swap. The car actually used to belong to the owner of the shop where I was dyno'd. I've done some preliminary research and from what I've read going A4 to M6 is easier since there isn't any extra wiring involved. I spoke with the shop owner last night about it, he said he is going to look into it for me.

#36 ·
I disagree, I think going M6 to A4 is easier. There's only been like 3 people that have gone A4 -> M6. Conversely there's plenty of people that got tired of burning clutches and threw a TH400 in the car.

You might as well put the LS9 cam in it if you've got the cash laying around. It's like less than $200, and you should see nice gains off of it.

#39 ·
Yeah the cam is cheap, but add in the tune and dyno money and it'll get expensive quick. If I want to get the car retuned for more mods I'd probably want to do more than just a cam, such as meth. As for transmission swaps I was referring stock transmission swaps, not something like a TH400, for a complete stock-like integration.

Going m6 in a turbo car is thinking backwards imho...you will notice lag between shifts..
Like I said, this car wasn't built for all-out racing and speed. I intended for this car to be a fun all around street car, so I just enjoy the manual much more. I have two other cars that are manual/turbo and the tiny amount of lag between shifts is nothing to me. Either way a transmission swap, be it built auto or manual swap, is a long way away from now.

#37 ·
Going m6 in a turbo car is thinking backwards imho...you will notice lag between shifts..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.