LS1GTO Forums banner

04 M6 winter performance??

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Ironmn715 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone can give some insight on how the goats perform in snow on snow tires?

I just got my 04 M6 a few weeks ago, drove it once and planned to park it for the winter (Very sad I know)

Now let me just be clear that I've dreamed of owning this car since they first announced it so I DO NOT want to drive it and expose it to winter conditions. But my Blazer won't pass NYS inspection so I may need to drive the car for a bit.

What I can say is that when I drove it I got caught in sleet/freezing rain on the way home. And as someone who NEVER gets nervous driving in these conditions I was legitimately alarmed at the complete lack of grip I had. But I know the freezing rain and Z rated tires compounded the problem.

So what I'm wondering is how much better do the goats perform on snow tires? I have a set of Blizzaks that came with the car that I plan on mounting. But as I said I live in CNY right off the lake where we have HEAVY winters. It's not rare for us to get 2 ft+ of snow from a single storm. So I'm just wondering if anyone has driven in these sorts of conditions with success, or if I should just take the most likely multiple inspection tickets and not stuff my prized possession in a ditch? :confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Driven the car through 5 winters now. Snow tires are critical, and you have to keep in mind that it will still be interesting.

If you are comfortable with the rears spinning and introducing some slip angle into the driving mix, you'll be fine.

If heavy snow/ice is a constant where you live, the Blizzaks will be great. On Blizzaks I've driven through 10-11" of unplowed snow before. But like all RWD, you just have to use your head and plan your routes. Also, beware engine braking in slippery stuff, these engines are big enough to lock the rears, haha.

Try it. If you get scared off, risk the tickets with the Blazer.

#4 ·
You live in NY....you should know how to drive in snow. Doesn't matter what car you have lol

Like Quicksilver said, use your head. Don't drive like you are in a AWD Subaru or a FWD Civic. Respect the conditions you are driving in and adjust accordingly.

I sometimes turn off my TC because I know the car will go NOWHERE becasue the TC will keep kicking on. I turn it off to get through the packed snow and into the pavement if needed. Once moving, I turn TC back on.

#7 ·
If you're gonna see a lot of snow, then i would suggest dedicated snow tires. If you're just getting the occasional 1-3 inches, then just a good set of all seasons like Conti DWS will do just fine. I was in Columbus IN for Xmas and by the time i left there was over 12" in the driveway. Backed out of the garage ok and had to rock it a bit to get the turn to drive out but it wasn't bad. Got all the way to the end of the drive before the snow plowed wall did me in. Had to have my brother and dad push while i rocked it back and forth and finally made it to the street. This was on my new Conti DWS's that i just added before leaving Dallas.

#8 ·
This is my second winter on Blizzaks. They work awesome and the compound has great grip when dry even if it is really cold. But you still have to be wary or wet/icy/snowy conditions. Like it was said above as long as you expect a bit of sideways slip if you're on a hill you should be ok. Just avoid hard acceleration, braking, and engine braking.

The tires actually work great in the snow, you just have to baby it a bit because of the power. My cam lopes a lot so it can be hard to not slip on an incline. So if I'm worried I can always just start her in 2nd and it's very smooth.

I generally avoid driving in the snow, but with these tires I am not afraid to get stuck it some bad weather by mistake.

#9 ·
I drive my trans am ws6 as a daily and I put ROH wheels on it with blizzaks and it laughs at snow and slush. It's a 6speed and makes 450/450. Has a crazy cam in it as well. I would think if anything the Gto with the same set up would fair even better IMO. I can put the winter set up on my Gto but I put it in storage for winter.

#10 ·
If you want more insurance, toss some sand tubes in the trunk and in the floor behind your driver/passenger seats.

Home Depot sells the sand tubes at 60lbs each...4 of them guys you are adding 120lbs directly in front AND behind the rear axle. Or equivalent of having one of your "healthier" friends always ride in your back seat :)

I did this in my 04 Mustang GT (with blizzaks in MA winters) and 03 Mach 1 and it helped A LOT. With the GTO being as heavy as it is, maybe just tossing 2 tubes in the trunk would suffice.

#12 ·
That video is classic !! He was just heating the tires up getting ready to make a pass down the track is all.... :gears:

#13 ·
'06 M6 in the snow

I will second the need for a good dedicated winter tires if you plan to tackle driving around in the white stuff. I have 3 winters on a set of 1st gen Nokian WRs mounted on the stock 18's, and have never even come close to getting stuck. Keep in mind, no tire will keep you from getting high centered while attempting to blow through crazy deep drifts. The thing becomes a very large, ineffective, snowboard at that point.

Listen to the advice on route planning and adjusting your driving to suit the conditions. It will keep you from starring in a video of your own.

I don't know about you, but I bought mine to drive it. I already have a piece of garage art, my '72 Catalina Convertible.

#14 ·
I have a set of factory 17's with blizzaks I throw on during the winter, as long as you drive smart you'll be fine. Actually, the biggest worry in snow isn't the goat, it's the other drivers.

#15 ·
You should be ok with an M6. I start in 2nd much of the time to help get me going and limit traction loss. Good tires and knowing the vehicles limitations and most of all YOUR limitations are key. Take the car out to a parking lot and mess around and find out how the car reacts when you brake hard under slippery conditions. Which side does it pull towards? Know the car and how it will react and don't be a cowboy.

'Moe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.