Clicking noise when brake pedal is pressed - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 10-29-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
pscmj84

2004 GTO Owner

Clicking noise when brake pedal is pressed

Hello,

This morning, as I got in my 04 A4 GTO to go to work, I pressed down on the brake pedal and heard a distinct clicking noise from the transmission area. If I let off the brake pedal and pressed it again, the clicking noise would occur at about the same braking pressure everytime. Once I started the car and put it in drive the clicking noise never came back.

I'm guessing the clicking noise is the part that keeps you from shifting from park without the brake pedal depressed disengaging. It was cold this morning (around 40 degrees, cold for Florida anyways), so that may have made the clicking noise louder than usual and I just happened to notice it.

Has anyone else heard this noise? I'm not to worried about it, but I did want to check to see if it is normal.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
mdbomgoat

2006 GTO Owner

I think you are right, I was told it was some little gizmo going bad, but was nothing to get worried over. My 06 does it only ever great once in awhile, but I still have warranty
Old 10-29-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
GillSS1
Nothing to see here...

2006 GTO Owner

If you are in park and hit the brake petal and hear the click it is the safety switch and completely normal. If you hear a click in "D" there is another issue.

95 M6 Impala SS

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr295/cat_man_0/DSC04145.jpg
Old 10-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
GOT1GOAT

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

It's the a4 interlock that allows the shifter to disengage park. Mine does it occassionally and then stops. I'm curious as to this as well.
05 Hood and kidney grill inserts.
Limo tint
Predator tune

95 Linc. Mark8 32v 4.6
Wifey white w/Limo tint.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #5
mdbomgoat

2006 GTO Owner

Should it be changed out?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
pscmj84

2004 GTO Owner

I did find some old threads that were about the same clicking sound. It sounds like it is fairly normal in cold weather.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ight=interlock

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ight=interlock
Old 10-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
mechanic58
I'll beat your goddamned ass

This is NORMAL. There is a solenoid in the shifter that actuates when you step on the brake pedal. ALL newer model cars have this feature. There is nothing wrong with your shit. However, if you would like, I would be glad to charge you about $788 dollars to "fix" this for you.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
1 slo gto
6.0 my god that's fast

2005 GTO Owner

it's the solenoid for the park safety feature. it releases the solenoid after brake pressure is applied so you can shift out of park
Old 10-31-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
Flashpoint

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Flashpoint
Mine has been audible to me since day one. No problems yet with it.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
pscmj84

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic58...View Post
This is NORMAL. There is a solenoid in the shifter that actuates when you step on the brake pedal. ALL newer model cars have this feature. There is nothing wrong with your shit. However, if you would like, I would be glad to charge you about $788 dollars to "fix" this for you.

Owning a GM vehicle, I guess we all should accept the "this is normal" line and go on our way without wondering why GM couldn't have put more effort into various parts of the car in the first place. I've never heard any other modern automatic transmission car make that noise before, so obviously it is possible to engineer a solenoid that stays quiet.

Lucky for them, I seem to be drawn towards their wonderfully engineered LSX engines.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
mechanic58
I'll beat your goddamned ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscmj84...View Post
Owning a GM vehicle, I guess we all should accept the "this is normal" line and go on our way without wondering why GM couldn't have put more effort into various parts of the car in the first place. I've never heard any other modern automatic transmission car make that noise before, so obviously it is possible to engineer a solenoid that stays quiet.

Lucky for them, I seem to be drawn towards their wonderfully engineered LSX engines.

If you get into ANY modern car with an automatic transmission, close the door...turn the key on....and be smurfing quiet for 2 seconds....THEN step on the brake, you WILL hear this solenoid work. I don't care what kinda car it is, you will hear it. The reason most people do not hear it is because they get in their cars like cattle on the run, slam the door and waller the seats and turn the ignition on and start the engine all at one time....all the noise of this action usually drowns out the miniscule noise this solenoid makes. Try it for yourself, you'll see.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:46 AM   #12
MannyLobo
HGH Optimist

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to MannyLobo
Thread revival

My first SEARCH victory!

I bought my GTO in June, and it's my DD.

Haven't heard this noise 'til 2 days ago. Got the car washed, got in it to leave, and CLICK. It was freaking me out.

However...

If I listen closer, not only does the shifter click...

If I press the button on my shifter, I can hear an even smaller 'click' come from the cluster. Is THIS normal???
Whoa: Powder Coated '05/'06 Brakes, Russell Stainless Lines, Drilled/Slotted Rotors

Coming Soon:
'04 to '05/'06 Exhaust Setup w/ Stolen Fox H-pipe, PFYC Inserts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: