Duralast pads. Any good?? - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Suspension/Steering/Brakes

Old 02-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
DocDiggy

2005 GTO Owner

Duralast pads. Any good??

I have to change out the front pads and Autozone only wants $35. I went through Marylandspeeds site and pads are pricey. I don't usually go the cheap way on most things, just checking around.

Pacesetter LT's, Vararam, GMM Ripshift, Borla Catback, Catless Mids, 3.91s, Ls7 clutch, Mav Man CF hood, GFocre 1 piece DS, Ls2 Portworks Manifold & TB, JamesBiz CC, IAT relocate, 06 Tails, Splitter, Red stuff, more Blue stuff.
1 of 146.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
aquariussuperman
Christian Goat

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Which Duralast ones? I have the Duralast Gold Ceramics on the rear, and so far, so good. I would go with a better pad for the front since they do about 80-85% of the braking on this car.

Click for more pictures...

_______,
_____0/
____/7,
___.'(
_'^ / >
__/ <
__`
Old 02-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
holler
"There's no good sharks?"

2005 GTO Owner

aye, get the gold either ceramics or semi-metallic, stay away from the cheapo non golds. squeal and dust too much, they belong on a bus. I use the gold semi metallics for daily driving on the front. I don't think the cheapos have a shim, that's were you get most of noise if they are not there. I returned them and I rarely return parts.
Frt&Rr 13.7CTS-V Brembo-ARH 1 7/8 Hdrs with hf cats-Vararam Intake-BTR dual springs Plat-Ti Rtnrs-BilletPro Shifter-SpeedInc SI4 Cam and Tune-LS2 intake ported-CXRacing Coilovers 7gF&9gR- Revshift Motor mounts-Turner adjustable end links-SLP Rear Swaybar-Pedders Strut Mounts RR and rear endlink Bush-Pedders Frnt Sway-Energy Subframe Bush-HBD Steering Wheel-19's ROH Drift R's-SLP UD pulley-Corsa Sport Catback Exhaust-JHP Red Gauge-06 tails 412/383 rwhp

Last edited by holler; 02-09-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
DocDiggy

2005 GTO Owner

I don't know if they were the golds. I do know that they only had one option for a GTO though. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
flink
Has stiffer springs

2006 GTO Owner

Get corvette c5 fitment pads.

I had the Duralast Golds on the front for a while. No issues - quiet, dust-free, stopped the car.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
GTO_06
MASS HOLE

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to GTO_06
get the best ones if u do
SLP LT Headers -*- SLP Loudmouth 2 Cat back -*- SLP 160 Stat -*- AEM Brute Force Intake -*- Lovells ELIMINATOR KIT 20MM (3/4") DROP -*- Fast 102mm intake mani -*- Nick Williams 102mmTB -*- CAM Vararam Intake-*-
Old 02-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
ENUF PWR
Cavalier Limo Edt.

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flink...View Post
Get corvette c5 fitment pads.

I had the Duralast Golds on the front for a while. No issues - quiet, dust-free, stopped the car.

That would be an 05 vette pad?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
flink
Has stiffer springs

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENUF PWR...View Post
That would be an 05 vette pad?

yup.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
MuhThugga
Poppycock

2004 GTO Owner

^^^, 97-04 is C5. 05-present is C6

Get Raybestos Advanced Technology pads. A little bit more in price (~$80), but they work well.

PROJECT SILVERBACK IS COMPLETE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDCGTO...View Post
Squeezing another 50 rwhp out of one of those setups would be like trying to squeeze the sarcasm out of MuhThugga. . . . . . . . not gonna happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
A Prius is a vehicular dunce cap.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 AM   #10
DocDiggy

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga...View Post
^^^, 97-04 is C5. 05-present is C6

Get Raybestos Advanced Technology pads. A little bit more in price (~$80), but they work well.

You would say these are better than HAWK pads?? Where do you find the Raybestos?? I could search if I wanted to, but I need to run out the door for work.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #11
5.0_GTO
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to 5.0_GTO
I have there ceramics on all corners. So far so good. They stop fast and bit hard. No noise. Iv always have had good experinces with there products. In my mustang I have a duralast battery and there alternator. Works good.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
05gofast

2005 GTO Owner

You get what you pay for.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
joejoe0703

I just picked up a set of Raybestos ATs for front and rear for just under $150 shipped from Rock Auto. That was the best price I could find. My Dad works for Federated Auto Parts and that was $10 cheaper than his price.

http://www.rockauto.com/
Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #14
BlackPearl
Pshhhhhht!

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05gofast...View Post
You get what you pay for.

They're built to last buddy, built.to.last.

2005 CGM A4 GTO

Custom T70 Rearmount Turbo, AZA Z-15s Staggered (19 X 8.5 & 19 X 9.5), BC Coilovers, Hotchkis Swaybars
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
MuhThugga
Poppycock

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDiggy...View Post
You would say these are better than HAWK pads?? Where do you find the Raybestos?? I could search if I wanted to, but I need to run out the door for work.

Get them from Rock Auto.

Yes, they are way better than the Hawk Pads. Hawk pads absolutely suck. They're fine for the first few months, but then they get noisy, they get dusty, and their performance begins to suffer.

Personally, I have found both Hawk pads and DBA rotors to be garbage.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #16
8ball

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe0703...View Post
I just picked up a set of Raybestos ATs for front and rear for just under $150 shipped from Rock Auto. That was the best price I could find. My Dad works for Federated Auto Parts and that was $10 cheaper than his price.

http://www.rockauto.com/

Got Carquest pads (made by the same company that makes Raybestos pads) and they seem to be very similar. The biggest difference was the shims and the color they painted the backing. Other than that, they have the same part number aside from Raybestos ATD731AC as opposed to Carquest's BCD731A ... only difference is, got my Carquest ones for $20 cheaper

As for the Duralast Golds, pops used to use them on a lot of cars before he started stocking his own pads with a vendor. He said they were always very good, much better than Wagner or Bendix in his opinion (as far as customer complaints went). Believe they also have a lifetime warranty on them, so when they wear out, you take them off and get new ones for free. That may or may not be the case, I'd double check before making the trip only to find out yours aren't covered under that policy.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #17
egreen99

go to rotorsonline and get some axxis pads for the same price as the autozone brand much better quality. With the money you save buy some stainless brake line
Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
RitcheyRch
Colts fan

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to RitcheyRch
Or you can go to amazon and get some Akebono ceramic pads. Akebono pads are OEM on numerous cars.

"I didn't pay them for sex, I paid them to leave"
Charlie Sheen

Thinks K&N should make underwear. After all, underwear is just a filter.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #19
drawk04
Stands Alone

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to drawk04
Quote:
Get them from Rock Auto.

Yes, they are way better than the Hawk Pads. Hawk pads absolutely suck. They're fine for the first few months, but then they get noisy, they get dusty, and their performance begins to suffer.

agreed......im not really diggin my EBC pads either, they are eating my rotors alive.
04 PBM M6 Mille Miglia EV-S 18s K&N FIPK Intake,SLP Loud Mouth 1, 06 brakes,LS7 Clutch, Kooks 1 3/4's,3.91's, Kaaz LSD, Harrop,BMR One Piece,GForce Axles/Stubs,Lovells Eliminator 20mm drop,NGK IX Plugs,Russel SS Lines, HP Tuners Tune. JL Audio XR650 CXi speakers,Alpine V-Power 4 channel 600 watt amp, Kenwood DPX502 head unit. Black 05 Style Faces w/shiftlight activation.SCSS Gauge Pod.GMM Race.DDM 5K HID's.

92 Honda Accord EX 5 Speed.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #20
drawk04
Stands Alone

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitcheyRch...View Post
Or you can go to amazon and get some Akebono ceramic pads. Akebono pads are OEM on numerous cars.

man i thought u were kidding, but just cause i was bored i checked it out, you're for real ! i had no idea amazon carried car parts, jesus.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #21
DocDiggy

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Get them from Rock Auto.

You sir just made my day. I was looking into the DBA rotors also, then decided to have my friend resurface mine for $20. I'm glad someone had something bad to say about what seems to be top shelf parts. What rotors do you recommend?? Slotted that is. I'm gonna run the originals until they are toast.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #22
MuhThugga
Poppycock

2004 GTO Owner

I went with CQuence rotors, but they are in need of replacement, as well.

I'm going with Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors this time around. They aren't slotted, and to be honest, the stock rotors lasted the longest. So, I'm going with a stock replacement rotor. No slots, no dimples, no kangaroo paw bullshit. Just a stock replacement.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #23
DocDiggy

2005 GTO Owner

Good info!! I have not had the car long enough to have gone through a trial and error with brakes.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #24
nygoat3

2004 GTO Owner

my cquence rotors went to crap on a gto that goes back and forth to the train station and short weekend drives
Old 02-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
RitcheyRch
Colts fan

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to RitcheyRch
Amazon has everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawk04...View Post
man i thought u were kidding, but just cause i was bored i checked it out, you're for real ! i had no idea amazon carried car parts, jesus.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #26
Blk04GTO
Doing the Mid-life thang!!!

2004 GTO Owner

Not to threadjack, but I bought some DBA rotors and EBC Yellowstuff pad for the front and within 1 year my rotors were completely cracked and burnt.* Yes burnt and I was informed that DBA rotors and EBC pads do not mix.* They replaced both my rotors and I purchased Hawk HPS pads and I have not been impressed.* I just recently replaced my front and rear pads with Autozone Duralast Gold Cmax and I am really pleased so far.* The hawks were squeaking so bad I thought I was running bare metal but still had 40% pad life left.

LS3 418 Stroker, Forged Callies Crank/Rods, Diamond Pistons, Pat G cam 251/258 660/598 111+4, 243 heads/ Trunion upgrade, stock intake/tb, Greentop 42# Inj, PowerBond, Melling Oil Pump, RPM Trans, Vig 3K, DSS 1-Pc DS, B&M SuperCooler, Svede, Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cats, Spintech, DBA Rotors, HID's 6K 55w lows, 5k 35w fogs and Pedderized. Motor built, installed and tuned by KK Performance.
http://youtu.be/lzK6EJUANK4
Old 02-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #27
drawk04
Stands Alone

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
I went with CQuence rotors, but they are in need of replacement, as well.

I'm going with Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors this time around. They aren't slotted, and to be honest, the stock rotors lasted the longest. So, I'm going with a stock replacement rotor. No slots, no dimples, no kangaroo paw bullshit. Just a stock replacement.

honestly i think its kinda silly to drop a ton of money on rotors, something that will always have to replaced sooner or later, no matter how good they are, they'll wear out, good choice, im going with these as well, i cant say i had good luck with my stockers but i had just as bad luck with powerslots and DBA's, so the cheapest one wins.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #28
drawk04
Stands Alone

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk04GTO...View Post
Not to threadjack, but I bought some DBA rotors and EBC Yellowstuff pad for the front and within 1 year my rotors were completely cracked and burnt.* Yes burnt and I was informed that DBA rotors and EBC pads do not mix.* They replaced both my rotors and I purchased Hawk HPS pads and I have not been impressed.* I just recently replaced my front and rear pads with Autozone Duralast Gold Cmax and I am really pleased so far.* The hawks were squeaking so bad I thought I was running bare metal but still had 40% pad life left.

have you ever mixed slightly used pads with brand new rotors ? i just put EBC redstuff's all around on mine last year, and like i said, im replacing the front rotors but leaving the pads, i wonder how that will work out, guess we'll have to see.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #29
TCSGTO

2006 GTO Owner

Im running Hawks ceramics right now and its just way too dusty and a bit noisy for my taste. If I knew I had to clean my rims out every 3 days I wouldnt get em...and I wont. Im gonna try to get something else a bit softer instead
Old 02-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #30
8ball

2005 GTO Owner

Any good rotors that are coated? Especially with the Beyern's, it's worth the extra coin of the dba's that the hats don't get completely rusted. Hate that about most stock replacement rotors ... within a month, they're completely rusted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: