LS1GTO Forums banner

Ran with a Saleen s281

480 views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  SIGTO 
#1 ·
On the way home from a friends house I decided to make a lap around town and see if anybody was out and about. Well nobody was out so I was going to head home but an unusual Mustang, weird bumper and spoiler,passed by me and I wanted a closer look. Turns out its a Saleen and it's supposed to look like that. I don't know anything about these cars other than they are supercharged, but from what I looked up quickly it's about an '07 and should have 400HP. He slowed up a bit and continuing at the speed limit i came up next to him. He sped up slightly as we neared the spot where everybody turns around and races. He turns around and just drives back to town normally, not sure why though. We come to traffic at a light and its some punk with a sideways hat and loud bad music. Next light, were up front and hes just ignoring me, so I decide to get his attention. I stay in first up to about 3 grand with a couple taps. He takes off and I drop it. He stays about a car behind me up until 75 or so when I let off because it's really not the ideal place to be going that fast. I believe he was stock but I didn't get a chance to talk to him. I was expecting to get beat, but I like racing interesting cars. I was please to be more or less even though.

#2 ·
I dont believe that the s281 is supercharged but could be wrong. I thought that was basically an appearance package but once again could be wrong.

#4 ·
yup you are correct and for a rarity I am wrong lol They were supercharged..the 06 had 435 and the 07 had 465 hp. Meh remembering too much about crustangs is a waste of brain power lol

OP that puts your right there with them with your mods so your run was right on.

#6 ·
Yea it was definitely supercharged, only thing I could hear over my car. In my quick research, I did see 465HP in one place, but I saw only 400HP in a few places. Car and driver says they have 400hp and run a 12.7, but who knows. Looks like there are 3 different Saleen levels though, atleast for the 2011 Saleens.

#7 ·
I did see 12.7 at 114 to 13.2 at 110. Apparently, in the 1/4 mile they are only .6 faster then the regular 300hp GT.
The time the supercharged S281 took to reach 100 mph was 2.4 seconds quicker than our last Mustang GT ["21st-Century Muscle Cars," C/D, January 2005]. By 130 mph, the difference was 7.1 seconds and growing. That's called driving away.

But the differences are less profound in the quarter-mile sprint, where the Saleen reaches the lights just 0.6 second ahead of the GT (although it's already traveling 7 mph faster).

#10 ·
No he wouldn't have. I ran a red flag version when I was full boltons/ stock stall and walked him slowly - the higher the speed, the faster the walk. Mustang's and bricks have alot in common: difference being the mustang comes in more colors.

#12 ·
Nice run. The Saleen is pricey for what you get in my opinion. The supercharger is mildly boosted, and hence they never seem to live up to expectations in stock configuration.

However, that Saleen S/C is quite capable, and I have seen guys with stock internals in the 10's with that blower.

You never know when there is a blower involved.

#13 ·
I never did like the roush cars... That roushcharger is supposably week... Local guy with a 427r got pully swap full exhaust and made like 370rwhp or so and all he would say about it was the blower "***ed out" lol the saleen cars are nice imo... Good run and kill op

#14 ·
The "s" in s281 signifies supercharged. Not all are. There were about half a dozen options for motors in those years/era of saleens.

#16 ·
There's a bunch of them...the only ones that were supercharged were the S281SC for the new edge mustangs. The rest were just stock engines...kinda lame if you ask me but whatever.

If it was a 5th gen Mustang then only the S-281RF/S-281AF were supercharged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.