LS1GTO Forums banner

Is a FAST intake manifold worth $?

12K views 68 replies 29 participants last post by  briancb1 
#1 ·
Currently have a ls2 with patriot cnc ported 243 heads, torquer v2 cam, formato ported ls2 intake manifold, kooks lt's, etc. car puts down 449whp i would like to do an intake manifold upgrade and was curious is the FAST manifold (that i would have to buy matching tb to go with) worth the money over something like an edelbrock? I've seen great gains with the FAST but just curious the differences in gain between a FAST and other aftermarket intake manifolds

#44 ·
^You should note that you in all likelihood did not pick up 42whp from an intake. You probably picked up 30(+/-) from the head work if anything.

#45 ·
Possibly his stock intake manifold was just choking his flow, and the FAST gave him the needed air flow to make everything work the way it should.

#55 ·
But the LS9 doesn't have an intake manifold. It uses a roots style superchar... oh, I see what you did :)

#48 ·
OP, I have a FAST 102 for sale.
PM me if you are interested.

#49 · (Edited)
I just finished putting a FAST 102 on my buddies M6 LS2 Saturday night. He has 225 Trickflow heads and it went on like a glove. A hell of a lot better than my 92. I didn't have to cut the power steering bracket, but the only thing that was tight was re-connecting the map sensor in the back. For some reason, his 102 is a few inches longer than my 92. I haven't read up on anything, so I'm not sure if that's how they are, but after putting in the lower valley cover bolts, everything was fine. He took it over to Pat G in Victoria, TX tonight and I'm waiting for the numbers. His car put down 438/390 during a nice Houston summer at LMR and that was when he had his heads and a 232/234 cam. Granted those numbers were very low for a H/C car, but he had both stock intakes at the time. Since he put on a Vararam and this FAST, it should absolutely wake this car up! I wouldn't be surprised if it picked up close to 40 rear wheel.

EDIT: His car put down 467/404. Picked up nearly 30/15.

#54 · (Edited)
You can pick up a new 102 for ~$700 and it seems like the average car picks up ~20/20. Seems well worth it when we'll spend $1000+ for a set of headers

I picked up 21/50 with mine.

O and the 102 was originally designed/developed for rectangular port heads. Food for thought

#58 ·
Where can you get one for $700?

As for being made for retangular ports, Yes they make a retangular port version and a cathedral port version too. Also they make a truck version.

#59 ·
I gained 61 rwhp from a cam and fast 102...

#62 ·
I have one on the way. The question for me now is what TB. I'm cammed with ported 243s, LTs, etc. I think 102mm is too big for my cubes and will just give me a twitchy throttle off idle. 90mm? 92mm? 96mm?

#63 ·
Wasn't there an issue with a 90mm TB on the larger 102mm intake at one time, like a drive-ability concern or hesitation? Didn't someone make a velocity ring to ease the transition from the 90 bore up to the 102 bore? I haven't heard anything on this recently though.

I say get the biggest TB you can afford, I don't think it will hurt anything.

#66 ·
There is a reason not no run a 102. If your engine isn't going to require one that big then for each increment of throttle you're going to get an exponential increase in air. I went from the stock 75mm TB to a 80mm and noticed it. Coming off idle it makes the throttle sensitive and if there's no up side then why get one.

My question is how big of a TB is needed on a mid 400 RWHP goat. Above a certain amount you're not going to need more. My feeling is that maybe a 102mm is overkill on a 346 cube engine cranking to 6,500 RPM. You really don't want bigger than you're ever going to need and I'm very near the end of my power mods.

#67 ·
From the dynos ive seen there is about a 5hp difference at the crank on a 500hp motor between a 92 and 102 due to the reduction of turbulence behind the throttle blade. Also the FAST TB has a hump at the bottom to improve low speed driveability. The hump only lets air over the top of the blade at part throttle. But remember the intake runners and head runners/ports determine air velocity, not the TB. Anything before the runner is a restriction, and IMO even though its only a couple HP difference id still run it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.