Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 11-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #31
MuhThugga
Poppycock

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchicia1...View Post

As for the idea of throwing a 5.3 in, I have $3400 into this motor already. What happens to that? I need to try to salvage this as I am already heavily invested. I am meeting with the builder tomorrow morning to give him the news, I am crossing my fingers he stands by his work.

I mean, you have to get a new block anyways. I'm pretty sure the 5.3 stroke is the same as the 5.7. If that is the case, you could transfer the crank and rods if you upgraded. Or sell the rotating assembly to recoup your money.

If the machine shop won't fix their mistake, I would drop in the 5.3 and drop that 5.7 off at my lawyer's office.

PROJECT SILVERBACK IS COMPLETE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDCGTO...View Post
Squeezing another 50 rwhp out of one of those setups would be like trying to squeeze the sarcasm out of MuhThugga. . . . . . . . not gonna happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
A Prius is a vehicular dunce cap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #32
Jaime Lannister

Just talked to machine shop. He was very accommodating and said he would take care of it.

His first suggestion was to see if the cylinders can be simply honed and cleaned up and still have the correct clearance. If not, he suggested resleeving those two cylinders. He also suggested we use different rings....I don't agree with that, I am not even sure you can mix and match rings with Wiseco pistons.

I have two options.

1) Get all 8 cylinders torque plated
2) Just try to save these 2 cylinders and only replace rings there.

I was leaning towards #1, but since those other 6 cylinders are fine, I am not sure I wan't to take that risk again.

Last edited by Jaime Lannister; 11-12-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #33
Jaime Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket...View Post
Sorry to see all that nasty damage OP!

Any word or thoughts on what might have caused this to happen? I see a few members have mentioned rings being an issue?

Well, all I know is the only way it could be my fault is if I dropped a screw in each of those bores. Highly unlikely. Either the ring popped out or the ring gap wasn't set correctly.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #34
Jaime Lannister

Wow, I am silently raging at my desk thinking of all the money I am about to lose on this motor.

No way this shop will fix it correctly. They want to bore it out more and knurl the pistons. Da smurf??????????????? Sounds like a bandaid fix.

I would gladly lose another thousand if a sponsor bailed me out and built me a motor based on my current pistons/rods/crank. I already contacted TSP. If they are on board and the machine shop refunds me the labor, I am doing it.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #35
Beach Goat
So it goes.

2006 GTO Owner

There's always resleeving. I had to resort to that and it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be. The overall bill for dissasembly, sleeve kit, sleeve install/machining, some minor block machining, new rings, a new forged piston, reassembly, and 8 new Manley intake valves installed in the heads was $2500.

If you are looking for a phenomenal, professional, stand up, reputable, extremely knowledgable and skilled machine shop, and are willing to ship a block down here, Abacus Racing in Virginia Beach is the bee's mothersmurfing knees. They will not screw you over, they will keep you informed and follow up on calls.....they have the best customer service of any shop I have ever worked with throughout my hobby, with the possible tie going to MarylandSpeed.

Let me know if you want their info. I'd be willing to help you out any way I can, I know how disheartening it is when this happens, and I know how downtrodden you must feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike...View Post
"Suck my dick" - mistermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbobaggins...View Post
Valve shrouding on a stock motor is fine though, because ultimately you're just going to blow it up anyways, and then bore out the motor. Voila, valve unshrouded.

Last edited by Beach Goat; 11-12-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #36
Jaime Lannister

Thanks Beach! Expensive is a relative term. To me, $2500 is a lot considering I already have $3200 in the motor.

Downtrodden is an understatement for sure. I am close to giving up, but I am also trying to be financially responsible about it. If I gave up now, I would lose a lot of smurfing money on the car, so that is out of the question. Now I am just trying to minimize the loss.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #37
Beach Goat
So it goes.

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Thanks Beach! Expensive is a relative term. To me, $2500 is a lot considering I already have $3200 in the motor.

Downtrodden is an understatement for sure. I am close to giving up, but I am also trying to be financially responsible about it. If I gave up now, I would lose a lot of smurfing money on the car, so that is out of the question. Now I am just trying to minimize the loss.

I totally feel you man. $2500 is a lot when you just dropped a couple grand on the motor in the first place. Not sure if you remember my stroker fiasco last year, but you are going through the exact same situation I did.

I weighed several options, but I ended up going with what I knew with 100% certainty was going to give me a strong reliable block. I did not want to have this happen down the road again if I went with a cheaper fix. So I just bit down and sawed right through that limb (wallet), knowing the hurt now was less than if I skimped by and it smurfed up later.

Not saying you're cheaping out at all. Believe me, I know how hard of a hit you've just taken. Keep your head up man, its just metal, it can be fixed. Have faith in yourself and know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and good times will return.

Last edited by Beach Goat; 11-12-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #38
Jaime Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Goat...View Post
I totally feel you man. $2500 is a lot when you just dropped a couple grand on the motor in the first place. Not sure if you remember my stroker fiasco last year, but you are going through the exact same situation I did.

I weighed several options, but I ended up going with what I knew with 100% certainty was going to give me a strong reliable block. I did not want to have this happen down the road again if I went with a cheaper fix. So I just bit down and sawed right through that limb, knowing the hurt now was less than if I skimped by and it smurfed up later. And by limb I mean my wallet.

Not saying you're cheaping out at all. Believe me, I know how hard of a hit you've just taken. Keep your head up man, its just metal, it can be fixed. Have faith in yourself and know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and good times will return.

Thanks for the pick-me-up, it helped.

You are right. At this point I am fully committed into getting a reliable motor. I had grand aspirations of building my tranny/rear as well (not sure if you read, but I broke my tranny mainshaft as well) but at this point I would rather pour that money into the motor and just put a used tranny back in.

I already sold all my boltons and recouped $2000 INCLUDING getting my blower cam, brand new springs (Thanks Andrew), and my C6Z exhaust system.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #39
Beach Goat
So it goes.

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the pick-me-up, it helped.

You are right. At this point I am fully committed into getting a reliable motor. I had grand aspirations of building my tranny/rear as well (not sure if you read, but I broke my tranny mainshaft as well) but at this point I would rather pour that money into the motor and just put a used tranny back in.

I already sold all my boltons and recouped $2000 INCLUDING getting my blower cam, brand new springs (Thanks Andrew), and my C6Z exhaust system.

Dude, this is getting creepy. You are following my bad luck to a T.

Allow me to sum up 2011:

Feb: Blew (3rd) stock trans. Bought built trans, clutch, shifter.
March: Blew motor.
Aug: Finally installed and tuned 417 LS3.
Aug: Blew 417.
Nov: Installed and tuned sleeved 417.
Nov-current: Fun times

I also met my girlfriend (now wife) in March right after I blew the motor. She married me even though I poured an equivalent of 2/3 of her entire yearly salary into a car she never even saw until we'd been dating for seven months. For all she knew, I could have been blowing all that cash on hookers and blow.

Last edited by Beach Goat; 11-12-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #40
Jaime Lannister

How did you blow your trans?

Congrats on getting married. Just count yourself lucky you weren't already married when that all happened! The only reason my wife is being cool about it is because we just had our wedding last week. We were already married 2.5 years, but decided to have the big party. I dropped $10k on that, so I am getting some leeway with the car. However, she does think it is a ridiculous and dumb hobby and I am beginning to agree with her....
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #41
Beach Goat
So it goes.

2006 GTO Owner

I destroyed the blocker rings and wore out synchros in 3 stock (one in my old spice red and two in the BOM) transmissions before finally biting the bullet and getting a RPM Stage 2 (with upgrades) T56. I believe it was my aggressive shifting habits at WOT exacerbated by having 100hp+ over stock.

At one point, not sure which of my GTOs it even was now, I also destroyed a stock clutch and flywheel which likely weakened/damaged the trans as well.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #42
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:

No way this shop will fix it correctly. They want to bore it out more and knurl the pistons. Da smurf??????????????? Sounds like a bandaid fix.

Run. Run fast.

Sleeve or get another block.
Vararam
Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #43
Jaime Lannister

I am trying to get a refund after researching about the knurling process.

This is going to get ugly.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #44
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
I am trying to get a refund after researching about the knurling process.

This is going to get uglier.

fixed.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #45
Jaime Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
fixed.

Time to get out of this hobby? Not cars in general, I still love the car, but maybe modding wasn't meant to be for me. You have seen my luck over the years. Yes, some was my fault (breaking at the strip) but a lot of it was just crappy work done by others and/or crappy parts.

I have a mild, lower lift cam with soft lobes I am going to throw in...should last forever. With stock 241 heads and the c6z exhaust, it should make at least 380. Maybe just cut my losses with this forged motor, try to get back what I can from the machine shop, and throw a good used ls1 motor and good used trans in and focus on just driving it...

It is not like a 380 rwhp c5 is slow...that would still be a 118 trap car.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #46
slimbobaggins
Let's roll

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Time to get out of this hobby? Not cars in general, I still love the car, but maybe modding wasn't meant to be for me. You have seen my luck over the years. Yes, some was my fault (breaking at the strip) but a lot of it was just crappy work done by others and/or crappy parts.

I have a mild, lower lift cam with soft lobes I am going to throw in...should last forever. With stock 241 heads and the c6z exhaust, it should make at least 380. Maybe just cut my losses with this forged motor, try to get back what I can from the machine shop, and throw a good used ls1 motor and good used trans in and focus on just driving it...

It is not like a 380 rwhp c5 is slow...that would still be a 118 trap car.

If you got that route, 243 heads would make a nice, safe, 50hp addition.

http://www.757goat.org/phpBB3/index.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolAid...View Post
Shaking/vibrating/rattling more is actually a bonus to me. I enjoy the Parkinsons effect at a stop light while the car belches out fumes of unburnt fuel from its monster lopey overlap. To me, thats muscle car.

Mods: ARP hardware
Old 11-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #47
Jaime Lannister

I just sold my #799 AI heads. I could pick up some stock 799s for about $300. I may do that if it turns out that I am just putting a stock ls1 block back in.

Just sent an email to the shop. Let me know what you think. Personally, I think I am too nice, but I am at the mercy of them unless I want to go to small claims court so I am treading lightly. The one thing I have in my favor is I used a credit card to pay for everything.

Hi xxxx, I know we briefly discussed the options this morning, but I wanted to go into more detail.

Here is a larger picture of what I showed you this morning. It looks like a ring wasn't installed properly or the bore wasn't even or something. A stock LS1 comes with a 3.898" bore. The max you can go is .010, or 3.908". Those Wiseco pistons are already 3.905". There is no way honing .003" is going to clean up these marks. You can see the one right in the center is definitely deeper than .003. Also, I spent a lot of money on these pistons and do not want to knurl them. If they were just cheap stock pistons with stock rods on a stock rebuild, then maybe I would consider that, but these are nice, top of the line parts. As for sleeving...sleeves are expensive for the LS1. I know a guy who just spent $3000 at a machine shop to get his block resleeved with new darton sleeves. So to me, that is not really an option unless you think otherwise.

So to me the only options are:

1) You guys source another used LS1 block and redo the machine work. Keep in mind, I got a bargain on that block as the owner and friend of a speed shop sold it to me. I only spent $300. It is very hard to locate a good LS1 block for that price and the one that came out of my car had a nice big crack in the bore, so I gave it away.

2) Resleeve the 2 cylinders. But from what I researched, those Darton sleeves are really pricey.

3) Refund the boring/honing labor + assembly labor + $300 for the block + the cost of the piston rings. The crank work and the bearings seem good as the oil pressure was better than stock and the motor was quiet. The head work is good as well. Both of us would be losing a lot of time and some money, but it may be better to just cut our losses at this point. I am in $1450 for the rods/pistons, $1850 to you guys, the head gaskets plus torque to yield bolts have to be bought each time the motor is installed, or about $250, plus all the labor time of installing a motor twice in a not-so-easy to work on car (equivalent of about $1000 X 2).

After some thinking, I think it would save us both a lot of trouble if we just went with option #3 and wiped the slate clean. I will lose money on the pistons and rods as I will have to sell them used, but I am ok with a relatively small loss at this point. Think it over, take your time, and get back to me when you can.

Here is the picture. I live a block from your shop, so you are welcome to come see it in person for yourself before I pull it if you want.
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/9316/imag0662j.jpg

Last edited by Jaime Lannister; 11-12-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #48
slimbobaggins
Let's roll

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
I just sold my #799 AI heads. I could pick up some stock 799s for about $300. I may do that if it turns out that I am just putting a stock ls1 block back in.

Just sent an email to the shop. Let me know what you think. Personally, I think I am too nice, but I am at the mercy of them unless I want to go to small claims court so I am treading lightly. The one thing I have in my favor is I used a credit card to pay for everything.

Hi xxxx, I know we briefly discussed the options this morning, but I wanted to go into more detail.

Here is a larger picture of what I showed you this morning. It looks like a ring wasn't installed properly or the bore wasn't even or something. A stock LS1 comes with a 3.898" bore. The max you can go is .010, or 3.908". Those Wiseco pistons are already 3.905". There is no way honing .003" is going to clean up these marks. You can see the one right in the center is definitely deeper than .003. Also, I spent a lot of money on these pistons and do not want to knurl them. If they were just cheap stock pistons with stock rods on a stock rebuild, then maybe I would consider that, but these are nice, top of the line parts. As for sleeving...sleeves are expensive for the LS1. I know a guy who just spent $3000 at a machine shop to get his block resleeved with new darton sleeves. So to me, that is not really an option unless you think otherwise.

So to me the only options are:

1) You guys source another used LS1 block and redo the machine work. Keep in mind, I got a bargain on that block as the owner and friend of a speed shop sold it to me. I only spent $300. It is very hard to locate a good LS1 block for that price and the one that came out of my car had a nice big crack in the bore, so I gave it away.

2) Resleeve the 2 cylinders. But from what I researched, those Darton sleeves are really pricey.

3) Refund the boring/honing labor + assembly labor + $300 for the block + the cost of the piston rings. The crank work and the bearings seem good as the oil pressure was better than stock and the motor was quiet. The head work is good as well. Both of us would be losing a lot of time and some money, but it may be better to just cut our losses at this point. I am in $1450 for the rods/pistons, $1850 to you guys, the head gaskets plus torque to yield bolts have to be bought each time the motor is installed, or about $250, plus all the labor time of installing a motor twice in a not-so-easy to work on car (equivalent of about $1000 X 2).

After some thinking, I think it would save us both a lot of trouble if we just went with option #3 and wiped the slate clean. I will lose money on the pistons and rods as I will have to sell them used, but I am ok with a relatively small loss at this point. Think it over, take your time, and get back to me when you can.

Here is the picture. I live a block from your shop, so you are welcome to come see it in person for yourself before I pull it if you want.
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/9316/imag0662j.jpg

I don't think I've ever met someone that regretted not being a dick when trying to get a refund, so I think you did pretty good there. Time to see if the shop owner is an asshole or not.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #49
Jaime Lannister

Just got back off the phone with the machine shop. He offered to resleeve the 2 cylinders, torque plate all 8 cylinders, put 8 new rings in, and reassemble for $0.

They have good customer service, I will tell you that much at least.

Last edited by Jaime Lannister; 11-12-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #50
slimbobaggins
Let's roll

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Just got back off the phone with the machine shop. He offered to resleeve the 2 cylinders, torque plate all 8 cylinders, put 8 new rings in, and reassemble for $0.

8 sets of new rings, I hope?

Crappy work notwithstanding, at least he's being reasonable. Who knows, maybe the tech had a bad day, and you'll be happy with their work this time around.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #51
Jaime Lannister

Yes, 8 new rings. All the cylinders are going to be torque plated as well now.

Yes, he is very reasonable. I knew he was reasonable when I met him, that is why I chose them. I know everyone has bad days, so I just hope they can get it right. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me type of deal here. I am sure it will work out.

He does want to use a different ring manufacturer. I actually did read that some people had issues with Wiseco rings. I know Wiseco outsources them. I just have to see if other brand rings will fit.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #52
Jaime Lannister

FYI, he is going to use melling sleeves, a stock replacement. The reason the Darton sleeves are so much is because they are much thicker than stock.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #53
Cwarta
MO POWA!

2004 GTO Owner

Damn buddy i feel for you Im hoping to get away clean
McLeod rst - prostars - tires - Qa1 coil overs
Custom 4 link 9" SRA

1970 SS Nova - 362ci swapped Lt1 - Cam- t56 - 3:73's - borla - 2,800lbs
Old 11-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #54
Jaime Lannister

Thanks Cwarta, good luck with your build. I am going to make it out of this...
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #55
Jaime Lannister

When you buy pistons, is 3.905" the bore size you need to bore to? Or is that the piston size?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #56
OnyxY2KSS

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
When you buy pistons, is 3.905" the bore size you need to bore to? Or is that the piston size?

I thought 3.905 was the new bore (and piston size) after honing.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #57
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Piston diameter ≠ Bore diameter.

Piston will have to be 0.00X" smaller than the bore diameter, to allow clearance for oil and movement and allow for piston expansion. Generally forged pistons have a little more clearance than cast pistons as the forged pistons expand more.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #58
Cwarta
MO POWA!

2004 GTO Owner

Im wondering if the shop didnt take into account the higher expansion rates of a forged piston? Genarally you get the pistons on hand, measure them, and then bore to size based off piston measurements.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #59
A_VAS
Complete Street Performance
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2006 GTO Owner

woah, wait....
Beach Goat got married? WTF I didn't get an invite to that one either

GTO rear end parts and rebuilds
Dana Gearsets (OEM Australian)
OEM seals, Timken bearings
Old 11-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #60
Cwarta
MO POWA!

2004 GTO Owner

Damn you 87LC2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: