Yet another Gforce 9" on the loose.... almost... - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Drivetrain

Old 11-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Big Tex
Seeking additional traction..

2005 GTO Owner

Yet another Gforce 9" on the loose....

So I got a new Goat with lots of power. Anyone on here knows the stock drivetrain won't stand up too well to 700+. After putting in a Tick Lvl 4 M6 (broke that within a month; destroyed the input shaft and various other parts), figured the drivetrain needed some upgrade love too. I had sent my first set of axles (LVL 1s) back after selling my first Goat and got some LVL 2s due the new ride's power. After weighing available center section options, decided the 9" was the best route for longevity. Casey at Gforce was super cool as I went from one set to the next and he worked with me through all my changes. Awesome customer relations! They have gotten lots of phone calls from me, so much that he picks up the phone and say "Hey Chris, what can I help you with?". Caller ID? Went with 3.50 gears and the trans has F-body gearing. I didn't want to go too extreme.... for now.

Started the build since I had a freeway breakdown, kinda forced my plan to expedited. One of the spreader plates on the driver outer axle swung out and sliced my brake line. Enter the tow truck. Decided to put the 9" kit, coilover relocate kit, toe rods, front BC's, and a bunch of bushings on my back on the garage floor. I took my time but I am also slower due to my lack of experience. I am on week 3. Not an everyday task. A few hours here and there and a weekend. The knowledge I have gained may never be used again but at least I know how my car goes together.

Tow home that started the project. Always sad to see her on a flatbed. This was the third ride since I have owned her.

It has to be red. End of topic. Check the new design on the stubs - retaining plates integral to the assembly.

Pulled the entire rear and went to work sanding the cradle and knocking off all that rust from past years. I hate rust.

All cleaned up and ready for installation.

Getting closer to completion.

Driveshaft and exhaust going on next. Front suspension goodies and then it's off to the alignment shop.

'05 M6- D-1SC / AES 390 / Tick Lvl 4 trans and MC / Centerforce DYAD / GForce1320 9" and coilover kit / Strange S-Trac / Kooks / BC 8K fronts / VMR V718s / Nitto NT05
'06 A4- 419/386. Volant/FAST 92/SLP LTs/Magnaflow CB/DBA/Hawk/ATI Stall/Pedders Xa/Energy Suspension/DMH//G-Force *SOLD*

Last edited by Big Tex; 11-21-2012 at 04:07 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
GTOEGO

2006 GTO Owner

Awesome setup man.

Top Sportsman Beretta. N2OFED DART585ci BBC.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
01SS346

2004 GTO Owner

Just sexy... good work!

Sent from my GT-P5113 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
04 PBM M6 GTO - Pedders XA's/All Bushings/Ported 5.3L Heads/Ed Curtis Custom Cam/Kooks 1 7/8ths headers No cats/Magnaflow Exhaust/Volant CAI/4.10 Gears with Harrop Cover and Harrop LSD/G Force DS with Billet Yoke/42Lbs Injectors/Chrome 18's (OEM)/06 Brake Conversion/Limo Tint/Eclipse Nav system/HID Low and Fogs/SAP Front and Rear bumper/SAP Grills/Spoiler Delete
Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Shift_GRIND

Like a boss.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

Looks great man! I love the red, I might have to pull the 9" out of our shop car and do it all in red. Red really looks great under a black car.

Thanks again !!
Chris
Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
smitty2919

2004 GTO Owner

What be those red bits by the jack stands? Sub frame connectors?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Big Tex

2005 GTO Owner

Yup. Those are the BMR units. They stiffen the chassis GREATLY. In that pic the car is up on four jackstands but really it is only sitting on three. The driver rear isn't touching, rails sit off it by 1/4 inch. It's there just in case but it has been up on stands for two weeks and hasn't touched yet. Speaks volumes for how much they stiffen up the car. Garage floor isn't level but the car didn't care. The plates in the rear did make it more difficult for me to get them mounted after the fat Whiteline bushings went in. And red... cause it has to be.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
BigRedWitch

2006 GTO Owner

Gotta love those 9 inchers.

Kooks 1 7/8 LTs-Partiot gold springs-Comp blower cam-Spec3+ clutch-Maggie TVS 1900-ECS 8 rib pulleys with 3.1 snout & 8 inch crank-Pac Alkey control system running 100% meth-K&N CAI-catless mids-MagnaFlow 3 inch cat back with x pipe-275/35/18 back-235/40/18 front-raptor shift led light-Autometer electric FP and Boost gauge and a lot more useless stuff.Some not so useless.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
The Wrench
Premium Member

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quality parts from a Great company. You can't go wrong with Chris or his parts! and the red is definetly sexy! LOL

ECS Tuning FTW

Work for a cause, not for applause. Live life to express, not to impress. Donít strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt
Old 11-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
quick05

2005 GTO Owner

coilover kit but no minitub?
427 LSX, PRC 285cc, LS7 102, Blower Cam, FLT level 7 w/ SC3000, P&P TB, Kooks catless 1 7/8 LT's, center exit, LPE pump+KB BAP, TR-6, DBA, Pedders 2275, Lovells Struts, BMR Skidplate, FLC pod w/ SCSS Boost/Fuel, SCSS A-pillar w/ Oil,Trans & A/F, VX tails, 5% Tint, Satin Black FLX Paint, TSS emblems, Gloss black DMS rear valance, Monaro front, Non-Sponsor STB + control arms, 8.8 Kit, Minitub w/ G-force coilovers by LSPWR
Numbers coming
Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Tims05

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Tims05
BigTex - I thought I was the only one with that issue with having the bmr sfc and the car only sitting on 3 outta 4 jack stands. Had my car up like that all winter while I was doing stuff and never touched the 4th stand and yet the car never moved.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
leong6gtp
750WHP club :P

2005 GTO Owner

I hate you....Looks like a really nice piece. How much did it set you back with the options you chose?
408 Stroker Built by AVAS
EDC Lunati camshaft
Tuned by Andrew at Complete Street Performance
Corn Fed
New SNL Fuel Hat system
Kooks 1 7/8 Headers w/3" catless mid pipes-DMH low pro e-cutouts
Spintech 2.5" SS exhaust
GFORCE1320 9" coming
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDC...View Post
I hate "dyno" threads (and "flow number") threads because, last time I checked, I never lined up against a fking flow bench or Dynojet.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:21 AM   #13
Big Tex

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims05...View Post
BigTex - I thought I was the only one with that issue with having the bmr sfc and the car only sitting on 3 outta 4 jack stands. Had my car up like that all winter while I was doing stuff and never touched the 4th stand and yet the car never moved.

Good way to check your floor for being level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leong6gtp...View Post
I hate you....Looks like a really nice piece. How much did it set you back with the options you chose?

Too much. Went the whole 9 yards, didn't want to leave anything to chance since I plan on beating on this set-up. All the prices are up on the Gforce1320 site. I did the 35 spline S-Trac and the CF shaft. Not cheap but knowing it is lifetime warranty is a good feeling.

The mini-tub is on hold till next year.... I have to find someone I feel comfortable with before I let them cut my car up. There are places around here that are capable but I want someone with experience doing it on this car.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:24 AM   #14
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex...View Post
Good way to check your floor for being level.

Too much. Went the whole 9 yards, didn't want to leave anything to chance since I plan on beating on this set-up. All the prices are up on the Gforce1320 site. I did the 35 spline S-Trac and the CF shaft. Not cheap but knowing it is lifetime warranty is a good feeling.

The mini-tub is on hold till next year.... I have to find someone I feel comfortable with before I let them cut my car up. There are places around here that are capable but I want someone with experience doing it on this car.

We do mini tubs, we also keep mini tubs in stock. They are patterned off the mini tub we have in our shop car.

Thanks
Chris
Old 11-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
Big Tex

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce1320...View Post
We do mini tubs, we also keep mini tubs in stock. They are patterned off the mini tub we have in our shop car.

Thanks
Chris

If the "click your heels three times" would actually work, my ride would be at your shop for the tub job. Kansas is only 1,400 miles away....
Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
If the "click your heels three times" would actually work, my ride would be at your shop for the tub job. Kansas is only 1,400 miles away....

LOL.. yea, a little far to drive
Old 11-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
3800Chris

2006 GTO Owner

That is awesome. I'm jealous.

I see that coilover relocate. Does that give more room for a wider tire? Or is it just needed to provide more room for some other structure under there?
2006 IBM M6: Svede, Ported Fast 102, AFR 230v2 62cc heads, EdC cam 236-244, Kooks stepped headers, Corsa sport catback, GMM shifter, Monster level 2 clutch, BC coilovers, BMR STB & DSSL, Pedders bushings, HSC motor mounts, poly trans mount insert, 19x9.5" wheels & 275 RE-11s, aeroforce & wideband, Tuned by Andrew at CSP, HID headlights and fogs
482whp/429wtq
Up Next: Anti wheel hop Axles & Stubs
Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #18
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

It does allow for a little wider tire. But wheel offset and back spacing are also a determining factor. Stock wheels can go to a little wider tire.

Setup looks great Chris! Can't wait for the new updated track times.
Thanks,
Casey
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #19
05TorridGTO

2005 GTO Owner

Great build! Wish I had the money for a 9" lol.

2005 Pontiac GTO

Typhoon 96mm Intake Manifold | SvedeSpeed OTRCAI | GMM Ripshift | Kooks LT Headers | Flowmaster Mufflers | Drag Bags |
Old 11-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
Koondog

2004 GTO Owner

1) Your car looks tits
2) great job doing it yourself

I guess Im going to have to call these Gforce guys and figure out how much this is going to cost me.

04=Heads/cam/intake TR M6 GTO (SOLD)
05= TVS2300 and much much more
09-G8 GT-Stock for now!...
Old 11-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #21
Big Tex

2005 GTO Owner

Thanks fellas. Exhaust didn't fit quite right and it is going to need some "massaging" to fit. The drive shaft sits lower than before and contacts my mufflers. The drivers rear pipe is also right up on the pumpkin. That ain't gonna work. It's going to a shop next week to get tweaked. So much for the do it by myself initiative.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #22
ZigZag
Eva, my new love

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Lotta work, lotta money, and lots of luck to you my friend.
TSW Chrome Nogaro Wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires
18x8 front / 18x9 rear 245/40 front 275/35 rear
2007 Pontiac G6 GT (winter car)
First car 1968 GTO 4 speed Mayfair Maize 6.5

Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
Big Tex

2005 GTO Owner

Everything is all done! Woohoo!!
The exhaust needed a little cut and reweld action. The 9" was a crowd draw in the shop since its such a sweet setup. It's a shame to hide such great work but... Race car!

I have limited ground clearance now with the way the mufflers had to be pushed down. Might have to redesign it down the road and go with an axle back setup. They hang lower than the BMR SFCs so I will have to be wary of speed bumps and raised manhole covers. Will post pics once I get her up on a lift again.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Everything is all done! Woohoo!!
The exhaust needed a little cut and reweld action. The 9" was a crowd draw in the shop since its such a sweet setup. It's a shame to hide such great work but... Race car!

I have limited ground clearance now with the way the mufflers had to be pushed down. Might have to redesign it down the road and go with an axle back setup. They hang lower than the BMR SFCs so I will have to be wary of speed bumps and raised manhole covers. Will post pics once I get her up on a lift again.

So how do you like the 9" ? Haven't heard from you in awhile
2005 GTO 1.27 60ft 9.01 @ 149 mph
Follow us on facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gforc...4909065?ref=hl
gforce1320@gmail.com
www.Gforce1320.com 316-260-8433 or 8439
Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #25
Big Tex

2005 GTO Owner

Thumbs up I like it, I like it a LOT!

The set-up is really sweet. No fears of breaking things anymore. I firmly believe it will take all I can throw at it and not even flinch. I haven't put more but about 600 miles on it so far and haven't taken it to the track yet. I was planning on it last weekend but after my tuner said I was running a bit lean up top I decided to play it safe and get it right. I can't limit myself to 5500 rpm shifts; I don't have the will power for that. I am waiting on some ID 1000's, a Revxtreme Monster catch can, and a 180 tstat before I get the tune retouched. By the time I get that done, all the tracks within driving distance are going to be down for the winter. Bah!
It looks so beefy - I have been accused of stealing the rear end out of a Farm-All tractor. (That's my favorite observation) Along with the 9", I also replaced the rear bushings with Whiteline and I have yet to get any wheel hop. It is pretty easy to break traction with 700hp, but no wheel hop, just spinning! Gear noise from the diff is louder than what I had stock but it isn't bad. Perhaps more miles will quiet it down. The Nitto's don't bark but rather an eraser on sandpaper sound. Keeps me from blowing my cover.
For anyone doing the 9" and you have a BMR loop - mine DID NOT FIT. It worked fine when it was the 3.5" aluminum and stock rear. It was welded in using the locating holes. It might work if you put it in after the 9" but it will be tight with a CF shaft. The new pinion angle is lower on the 9" making the BMR bends less than accommodating. Not knocking BMR at all. When you change a bunch of stuff like I did, it just doesn't work as designed. I cut it out and am currently running without one. I'm going to get a custom job before I get out to the track, but I would hope any savvy tech inspector would see carbon fiber and realize it won't present a failure risk. Who knows? Good luck looking under the car Mr. Inspector, it's low. I have to jack it up to put it on a lift as the arms hit the SFCs.

There were a couple things I didn't/couldn't do due to lack of skillset. I had a shop "massage" my exhaust system to fit around the lowered driveshaft. Also had a shop change out the slip yoke on the CF shaft so it can mate up with the T-56 Magnum Viper output shaft. I can't weld and I wasn't going to jack up an expensive driveshaft trying to learn.

Thanks to Casey and Chris at GFORCE1320 for all the support during my build process. I must have called like 20 times with silly questions while putting it together and not once did he make me feel like a dumbass (which in hindsight I was at times ). This was my first attempt at something on this scale. I learned a bunch doing this project. Before this, the most I ever did was change spark plugs and brake pads. If I can do it on jack stands in a tiny garage, pretty much anyone can. This forum has so much good info and was crucially instrumental during all the work. If you can turn a wrench and read you can do this too.

The only negative with the 9" set-up is that it will encourage you to beat on it relentlessly without fear of failure - wait, is that really a problem?

Now somebody come up with wider fenders so we can have 335's!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #26
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
The set-up is really sweet. No fears of breaking things anymore. I firmly believe it will take all I can throw at it and not even flinch. I haven't put more but about 600 miles on it so far and haven't taken it to the track yet. I was planning on it last weekend but after my tuner said I was running a bit lean up top I decided to play it safe and get it right. I can't limit myself to 5500 rpm shifts; I don't have the will power for that. I am waiting on some ID 1000's, a Revxtreme Monster catch can, and a 180 tstat before I get the tune retouched. By the time I get that done, all the tracks within driving distance are going to be down for the winter. Bah!
It looks so beefy - I have been accused of stealing the rear end out of a Farm-All tractor. (That's my favorite observation) Along with the 9", I also replaced the rear bushings with Whiteline and I have yet to get any wheel hop. It is pretty easy to break traction with 700hp, but no wheel hop, just spinning! Gear noise from the diff is louder than what I had stock but it isn't bad. Perhaps more miles will quiet it down. The Nitto's don't bark but rather an eraser on sandpaper sound. Keeps me from blowing my cover.
For anyone doing the 9" and you have a BMR loop - mine DID NOT FIT. It worked fine when it was the 3.5" aluminum and stock rear. It was welded in using the locating holes. It might work if you put it in after the 9" but it will be tight with a CF shaft. The new pinion angle is lower on the 9" making the BMR bends less than accommodating. Not knocking BMR at all. When you change a bunch of stuff like I did, it just doesn't work as designed. I cut it out and am currently running without one. I'm going to get a custom job before I get out to the track, but I would hope any savvy tech inspector would see carbon fiber and realize it won't present a failure risk. Who knows? Good luck looking under the car Mr. Inspector, it's low. I have to jack it up to put it on a lift as the arms hit the SFCs.

There were a couple things I didn't/couldn't do due to lack of skillset. I had a shop "massage" my exhaust system to fit around the lowered driveshaft. Also had a shop change out the slip yoke on the CF shaft so it can mate up with the T-56 Magnum Viper output shaft. I can't weld and I wasn't going to jack up an expensive driveshaft trying to learn.

Thanks to Casey and Chris at GFORCE1320 for all the support during my build process. I must have called like 20 times with silly questions while putting it together and not once did he make me feel like a dumbass (which in hindsight I was at times ). This was my first attempt at something on this scale. I learned a bunch doing this project. Before this, the most I ever did was change spark plugs and brake pads. If I can do it on jack stands in a tiny garage, pretty much anyone can. This forum has so much good info and was crucially instrumental during all the work. If you can turn a wrench and read you can do this too.

The only negative with the 9" set-up is that it will encourage you to beat on it relentlessly without fear of failure - wait, is that really a problem?

Now somebody come up with wider fenders so we can have 335's!

Excellent!
Glad you got it all installed. Now go beat the hell out of it at will
Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
Canada
All motor...deep 10

2005 GTO Owner

Only thing stock is my rear diff and I want that wavetrac. I've already got the outer stubs, botl together level 2 inner stubs and level 2 halfshafts with carbon fiber DS. Outer stubs stay the same but the inner stubs, Australian 3.91, harrop cover and CF DS all have to be swapped. Curious if you buy any of this stuff back? The stubs and halfshafts have no miles on them and wondering what it would cost to go to the 9" so I can get the wavetrac and not have to ever worrry about the rear end. I also have your toe links. Would those stay the same or need to be swapped out. Feel free to shoot me a pm on what kind of money we are talking.

Beta Tester for Mavrick Man Carbon
Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #28
wrp
Taco Bell

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Not knocking BMR at all. When you change a bunch of stuff like I did, it just doesn't work as designed. I cut it out and am currently running without one. I'm going to get a custom job before I get out to the track, but I would hope any savvy tech inspector would see carbon fiber and realize it won't present a failure risk.

BTW Chris.....Hint hint..... I don't think this is that big of a deal. You just need a longer bottom bar. You can probably use the top loop, don't know for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGoat...View Post
Curious if you buy any of this stuff back? The stubs and halfshafts have no miles on them and wondering what it would cost to go to the 9" so I can get the wavetrac and not have to ever worrry about the rear end. I also have your toe links. Would those stay the same or need to be swapped out. Feel free to shoot me a pm on what kind of money we are talking.

A year or so ago it was right between 6k and 7k with the Wavetrac which is over 2 grand. However, the Wavetrac has a lifetime warranty. You can sell quite a bit of your OEM stuff on the board. Especially if it is upgraded. The CF DS should be in demand as well as the stubs hubs and other components. Not sure about the toe links.

"ZOMG, boost it to the moon, it can handle it"

Mods: A bumble bee is considerably faster than a John Deere tractor.

Last edited by wrp; 12-12-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #29
slimbobaggins
Let's roll

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Really sorry I wasn't able to help more with this build, but it's awesome looking, and even cooler that you did so much of it yourself!

Though, $50 bucks says that next time we go to the track, I still kick your ass.

http://www.757goat.org/phpBB3/index.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolAid...View Post
Shaking/vibrating/rattling more is actually a bonus to me. I enjoy the Parkinsons effect at a stop light while the car belches out fumes of unburnt fuel from its monster lopey overlap. To me, thats muscle car.

Mods: ARP hardware
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #30
2006 GTO
Pittsburgh City of Champions

2006 GTO Owner

Man, I wish I had the money. This would be my winter mod. Well if anyone wants to purchase a 1979 Pontiac Formula 403, please let me know so that I can get this setup! Please
SUSPENSION: Pedders Serious Street Package with Gforce 9" IRS.
1979 Pontiac Formula (403 Big Block)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: