Non-Sponsor Wheels Installed and a question - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Wheels/Tires

Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Geoff17

2005 GTO Owner

Non-Sponsor Wheels Installed and a question

Alright I'll grab some pics in a few minutes here. Anyhow they are the Non-Sponsor/champion speed series wheels 15x10 and since the car rarely sees the track (maybe once a year) I went ahead and put MT ET streets on 275 50 15 and I know that Thomas recommended I go with a Hoosier 9 inch slick but its a street warrior. Anyhow I ground down the caliper bolt and bent the brake line in order for the wheel to clear the brakes then I also cut the dust cover off the rear shock and notched the A-arm slightly. Mounted the wheel and tire and it rubbed the inner fenderwell so pulled it back off and beat in the inner fenderwell. Kept putting the wheels on and back off and beating the fenderwell in and I now think I'm at a point to where it can't be beat in anymore, I think I am hitting the frame rail. Everything is pretty good now except that it rubs on a right hand turn but left hand turns are fine and I can even turn a hard left with no problems but even a slight right will rub. My question is how far are you guys beating in your fenderwells? Also can I just run a small spacer in the rear with these wheels? Or will that cause issues with the outer fender? My fenders are already rolled fyi.
Thanks guys
Out to get some pics now, I'll post them up here in the next 20-30 minutes.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Geoff17

2005 GTO Owner

Ok Heres the pics, sorry car is very dirty right now and still haven't had a chance to paint the rotors yet so they're still rusty.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Geoff17

2005 GTO Owner

Edit: Suspension is completely stock except for the drag bags and in the pics the bags are inflated to 20psi (except the closeup night time pics in the garage there not inflated at all). The rub still occurred even with 30psi in the drag bags.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
glenj3

2006 GTO Owner

Looks sweet! too bad its rubbing
Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
O4 GTO

2004 GTO Owner

Bigger hammer!

05 Yellow Jacket M6

05 Torrid Red M6

06 Torrid Red M6
Old 11-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
EDISKRAD EHT
Back to Blown

2005 GTO Owner

I've never had any rubbing issues with my Non-Sponsor wheels, but I also pounded my inner quarter before even getting them (to clear my 285's).

You need to man up with the hammer though,

Yours,

Mine,

I brushed over mine with some of that thick tar-like undercoating, and you honestly can't even tell somebody went buck wild with a small sledge.

(Previous) Maggie setup = 551RWHP/536RWTQ
(Current) Procharger F1A / 385 LS2 : 696RWHP/641RWTQ, MOAR timing + MOAR boost = ???
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Big Tex
Seeking additional traction..

2005 GTO Owner

Do you have room to fit a spacer without rubbing? Put a straight edge on the face of your rim and check how much room you have to the outer lip before you order one up.

'05 M6- D-1SC / AES 390 / Tick Lvl 4 trans and MC / Centerforce DYAD / GForce1320 9" and coilover kit / Strange S-Trac / Kooks / BC 8K fronts / VMR V718s / Nitto NT05
'06 A4- 419/386. Volant/FAST 92/SLP LTs/Magnaflow CB/DBA/Hawk/ATI Stall/Pedders Xa/Energy Suspension/DMH//G-Force *SOLD*
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Geoff17

2005 GTO Owner

I gotcha I may try to hammer it some more then only thing is though right where that crease so to speak thing is like 1 inch up from the lip all around at some points I think that is the frame rail. When I was doing the hammering you could hear it audibly change tones and my buddy even on the other side of the car was like "That's solid you ain't gettin any further than that" It just sounds and feels like a solid frame piece behind it that isn't going to move in any further. Mainly the area closest to the spring. Did you run into this issue as well? If I keep beating it in will it eventually go in further? Also what exact tire and size are you running on your Non-Sponsor 15x10's?
Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
Geoff17

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex...View Post
Do you have room to fit a spacer without rubbing? Put a straight edge on the face of your rim and check how much room you have to the outer lip before you order one up.

Yeah I'm not too sure on that I'll have to check. Also with IRS though I would imagine that sitting normal it could hang out past the fender lip a little but only a little since when it squats and compresses the spring it brings the top of the tire inward giving negative camber allowing it to possibly still clear and tuck in.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
INeedAGoat

It looks like you can definitely get a bit more clearance with more hammering. I had to beat the sheet out of my wheel well to get my 10" weld rts's not to rub. You really have to put some effort into to get that last 1/2" - 1".
Old 11-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Big Tex
Seeking additional traction..

2005 GTO Owner

You can jack up your control arm to simulate travel. I've done that but on jackstands first
Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Non-Sponsor-Engineering
Banned

Its real simple,if you cant move the tire towards the outside of the car,which i would bet you could then you have to modify the inside and your running a hell of a wide tire.Also a craddle alighnment is critical ,are you rubbing on both sides or one side? If you remember we sent you the deepest offset so you could run a huge tire down the road.I would say you need a 1/4 spacer
Old 11-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
Non-Sponsor-Engineering
Banned

i would also add the tire you choose is really big,it has 1.5 inches more tread with and 1 inch more section width than what we recomend.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
Geoff17

2005 GTO Owner

I understand that I went with a larger tire than recommended and am not trying to say anything bad about the wheel just was wondering if I can bang it in further which apparently I can, just gotta man up and not be afraid of breaking anything I guess. Thomas you have been nothing but huge help to me and have top of the line customer support and service and I thank again for that, I also love the wheels. Back on topic I am only rubbing on the drivers side. Also how is a cradle alignment done? I went down to tire kingdom last week for an alignment and had a tech that wasn't really sure how to do certain things with the gto I am going back on Tuesday to have a few things corrected since all he did was adjust toe in the front and rear and put it at factory specs and he never knew how to adjust the front camber. But I myself don't understand how the rear cradle alignment is done could someone explain?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
Geoff17

2005 GTO Owner

Because as far as I know the rear camber cannot be adjusted in stock form unless I put in the eccentric bushings.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
Geoff17

2005 GTO Owner

So nobody knows how the rear cradle alignment is done?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
Wang
unbanned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff17...View Post
Ok Heres the pics, sorry car is very dirty right now and still haven't had a chance to paint the rotors yet so they're still rusty.

Pick up some Undercarriage Spray rubber plastidip type shit and give a shot to the BFH hammer marks before they begin to rust, is my suggestion.

Also, how about matching fronts ? Looks good so far.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #18
Wang
unbanned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Sponsor-Engineering...View Post
Its real simple,if you cant move the tire towards the outside of the car,which i would bet you could then you have to modify the inside and your running a hell of a wide tire.Also a craddle alighnment is critical ,are you rubbing on both sides or one side? If you remember we sent you the deepest offset so you could run a huge tire down the road.I would say you need a 1/4 spacer

1/4 spacer or wheels made with different offset ~52-55.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
Non-Sponsor-Engineering
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff17...View Post
So nobody knows how the rear cradle alignment is done?

Hey man give me a call tommorow and ill walk you through it.I have a cradle tool i can send u so you can get it correct
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
smitty2919

2004 GTO Owner

Is it just the tire rubbing?

Otherwise I would say that's the wrong offset if you have to cut the control arm, and hammer the sheet out of the wheel well...

But like Thomas said, prob should have run the tire they said so you don't have those rubbing issues.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #21
Wang
unbanned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

275s fit when the cradle is correct. Due to the drag bags, the inner sidewall is hitting at the place shown. Usually with 275s, you have to BFH massage the area about 3" up, and near the shock tube.

I have Michelin PSS 275/30/19 and the little wee bit of scrape I got was solvable with a hammer, and spray of Undercarriage Rubber Plastidip type Carquest shit.

This might be your invitation to

(a) take advantage of the superior Non-Sponsor support and borrow the tool
(b) consider lowering the back end. it might be too high for what you are trying to achieve. you can hammer out much more clearance on an IRS from the sheet metal just 1/2" above
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #22
Wang
unbanned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

^^^^ Can i and i buy'z some parts off u ?

Old 11-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #23
Wang
unbanned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobaltss...View Post
Looks pretty sexy, but sux u have to sledge hammer your car

You'll have to sledgehammer *and* torch your Flexy Flyer man, but tanks 4de imput.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #24
EDISKRAD EHT
Back to Blown

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobaltss...View Post
Looks pretty sexy, but sux u have to sledge hammer your car

Yeah. Fitting wider tires sucks.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #25
Geoff17

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Sponsor-Engineering...View Post
Hey man give me a call tommorow and ill walk you through it.I have a cradle tool i can send u so you can get it correct

Will do thanks Thomas
Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #26
Geoff17

2005 GTO Owner

And wang I def am going to re-spray that area to prevent rust I just left it that way so in the pic you can see which areas I beat in. Also I pumped the bags up real high thinking that would help with the rub but I guess my thinking is wrong? I can let the pressure all back out and it will lower the back end down more which won't bother me as I think it looks worse having the rear sitting that high.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
Geoff17

2005 GTO Owner

Matching fronts may happen one day but not for a while. These tires will only be on the car on some select saturday nights for some races (This saturday they worked out well, beat a stalled auto camaro SS with a granatelli TT kit) It is my daily so no skinnies for now and I don't wan to have to swap out 4 wheels when just looking for extra traction on race nights.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #28
ModernMuscle
First day in GTO: 65 in a 45

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wang...View Post
275s fit when the cradle is correct. Due to the drag bags, the inner sidewall is hitting at the place shown. Usually with 275s, you have to BFH massage the area about 3" up, and near the shock tube.

I have Michelin PSS 275/30/19 and the little wee bit of scrape I got was solvable with a hammer, and spray of Undercarriage Rubber Plastidip type Carquest shit.

This might be your invitation to

(a) take advantage of the superior Non-Sponsor support and borrow the tool
(b) consider lowering the back end. it might be too high for what you are trying to achieve. you can hammer out much more clearance on an IRS from the sheet metal just 1/2" above

Wang, what offset are you running on your rear wheels? I am looking at 275/30/19's too and have +45 offset.

06 Torrid Red M6 | Tinted Tails | SAP Grilles | Painted rear valence | DBA 4000 rotors | Hawk HPS | ATE Super Blue | BC Coilovers | Whiteline sway bars | Lovells poly bushings | Spoiler delete | Catch Can | 19" Petrol Vengeance with 245 / 275 NT-05s | 20 coats of Zaino |

www.meetup.com/modernmusclenc
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #29
Wang
unbanned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernMuscle...View Post
Wang, what offset are you running on your rear wheels? I am looking at 275/30/19's too and have +45 offset.

+52, the "perfect" offset according to GroupEh ROH guize. And I gotta say, with 275PSS back there I believe 295 would run on this wheel. Michelin doesn't make 285 (guaranteed) ...

And 295/30/19 is a Ferrari size, +$150
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #30
Non-Sponsor-Engineering
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wang...View Post
+52, the "perfect" offset according to GroupEh ROH guize. And I gotta say, with 275PSS back there I believe 295 would run on this wheel. Michelin doesn't make 285 (guaranteed) ...

And 295/30/19 is a Ferrari size, +$150

Just incase you and others dont understand.All 275s arnt equal.If the op was running the smaller 275/30/19s you are refering to he wouldnt need to do anything.The 275/30/19 is smaller in every way,diameter is less which is a big deal ,section width is alot narrower which is also a big big help and the tread width is smaller.You cant put 6 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket no matter where you place it.Tis has nothing to do with offset it has to do with making room for the tire chosen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: