High idling and traction off! - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 11-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
reddragon022

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via MSN to reddragon022
High idling and traction off!

I know there are numerous post on high idles and traction off, but really haven't found an answer yet! I have changed 3 tps so far and it seems like every time I change one it works then starts back with the high idling symptoms. The last one I changed was 3 days ago. The idling and traction was back to normal but today it started back idling around 2k and traction kicks off and stays off. 3 days back I went to advance auto to get the check engine checked, said it was tps, maf, and map sensors..like wtf...Don't want to changed out all of them and find out the issue will come back soon. Does anyone know the correct fix for this?
Whenever the issue starts I have to unplug the tps and drive it around town that way, then the idle will get back normal..

VRX6 Cam/SLP Long Tubes/ '05 Corsa Exhaust (Resonator Off)/ ASP UDP/K&N CAI/ Vengeance Racing Tune (Dyno Jet)/ Orssom Short Shifter/ Pedders Serious Street II/JHP Rear Lip Spoiler/ 18x8 & 18x9 TSW Vortex Wheels/ '05 Painted Rear Bumper Conversion/ MWPD Front Splitter/ CV8-R Tails/ Banshee Hood (2-Tone),Fake SAP Painted Front 413.82rwhp:388rwtq
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
TheRocket
I Wanna Go Fast

2005 GTO Owner

Have you tried cleaning the MAF. I bet you that's what's causing all your little problems.

2005 Pearl Orange Metallic
PB:12.98@107.1mph
LS3 Intake/Heads - Comp Custom Grind Cam 224/230 .609/.609 113+2 - FTI 3200 Triple Disc - Svede - Lunati - Katech - Cometic - GMPP - SLP - Kooks - MagnaFlow - BC 8/10k Coilovers - Pedders - Whiteline - DBA - Hawk - TSW Cadwells - Goldilocks Splitter - Maverick Man Carbon Spoiler - Morimoto - 06 Tails - Elemental Designs Nine.1 Amp - Phoenix Gold - Hybrid Audio - TC Sounds - Kenwood
Old 11-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
SJFGTO
Oh it's Friday night

2005 GTO Owner

A wild internet guess would be a MAF issue. Try cleaning your MAF with MAF cleaner. Also, check the wires in the MAF harness. I had the identical issue and it turned out to be a bad wire in the the little MAF connector.
2005 M6 QSM/BLK, Pedders track II+steering rack, Kooks stepped LTs, catless mids, Corsa Sport, Vararam, polished TB, ported FAST90, FAST46lb injectors, A.I. cnc ported/milled TF220s, Cam Motion custom cam (230/236 .630/.620 113+3 lsa), ASP pulley, OZ700 clutch, GMM ripshifter (race), Hawk ceramic, DBA slotted/drilled rotors, RE-11s, G-Force driveshaft, BMR shafts/stubs, Harrop diff cover, Harrop TruTrac, 4.10s

Built/tuned by Spartan LSX Performance!
492RWHP @6200 rpms / 448RWT @4800 rpms
Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
reddragon022

2004 GTO Owner

Forgot to mention that I checked the wires/plug prongs and cleaned the maf with maf cleaner too. Also cleaned the throttle body and check vac lines too. But after I wrote my post here I read if you reset the pcm it would possibly fix it too. So I decided to do that option. So I reseted the pcm (all the steps), then started the car up. Car started idling good and tc was usuable (also check engine light wasn't showing). After all that, I shut the car off and got ready for work.
Started the car up again and every thing was fine until 5 mins during my drive to work. Started back idling up around 2k again then proceeded at a red light. Car sat at 2k idling and about 2-3 seconds dropped to normal idle. Light changed and didn't have the issue yet. Not sure if that help it relearn the idle but its driving better. Car is killing me right now. Hopefully, when I leave work in the morning it will be good still.

Last edited by reddragon022; 11-19-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
DoomDevil
~СЛАВА ГЕРОЯМ~

Lumina SS

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon022...View Post
Forgot to mention that I checked the wires/plug prongs and cleaned the maf with maf cleaner too. Also cleaned the throttle body and check vac lines too. But after I wrote my post here I read if you reset the pcm it would possibly fix it too. So I decided to do that option. So I reseted the pcm (all the steps), then started the car up. Car started idling good and tc was usuable (also check engine light wasn't showing). After all that, I shut the car off and got ready for work.
Started the car up again and every thing was fine until 5 mins during my drive to work. Started back idling up around 2k again then proceeded at a red light. Car sat at 2k idling and about 2-3 seconds dropped to normal idle. Light changed and didn't have the issue yet. Not sure if that help it relearn the idle but its driving better not again for the 4th time, lol. Car is killing me right now. Hopefully, when I leave work in the morning it will be good still.

Sounds to me more of an idle linkage issue! Disconnect it and rev your engine with your hand, see what happens! Try simulating your driving condition that provokes the problem and see if it still occurs even with the linkage disconnected.

Another thing, test before you change! Suspect your TPS? Disconnect it and drive without and see if your problem still occurs! Since you say you cleaned your MAF, I'm ruling it out. But you can still test this. Disconnect your MAF and drive without it! Play around for a few hours or days even!

No worries, your PCM will switch to different modes to compensate for the missing sensor input!

Keep us updated!

96 Suzuki X-90
03 Lumina SS Coupe (stock "cat-less" & "built trans!")
03 Lumina SS Coupe (393 whp, LS1, bolt-on's and cam)
07 Toyota Aurion (270 hp and a 6-spd AT)
12 VW Tiguan Highline Sport (for driving the wife and my little girls!)
Old 11-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
reddragon022

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDevil...View Post
Sounds to me more of an idle linkage issue! Disconnect it and rev your engine with your hand, see what happens! Try simulating your driving condition that provokes the problem and see if it still occurs even with the linkage disconnected.

Another thing, test before you change! Suspect your TPS? Disconnect it and drive without and see if your problem still occurs! Since you say you cleaned your MAF, I'm ruling it out. But you can still test this. Disconnect your MAF and drive without it! Play around for a few hours or days even!

No worries, your PCM will switch to different modes to compensate for the missing sensor input!

Keep us updated!

Well I did the tps disconnect thing before...it stopped when I did it...but that was before I did the clean maf/clean throttle/change tps... But I will post back later on today after I leave work.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
reddragon022

2004 GTO Owner

Well made it home from work! Didn't have not one issue leaving work and stopped by a couple places. Probably traveled around 7-8 miles. Will let you guys know if anything happens..
Old 11-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #8
DoomDevil
~СЛАВА ГЕРОЯМ~

Lumina SS

Premium Member

Any updates???
Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
reddragon022

2004 GTO Owner

I think earlier this week..I went back to auto zone again and got another tps (changed it out in the parking lot)...The problem acted like it wanted to creep back up on me again so I decided to do it again. Also, checked the throttle body to see was there any oil build up made sure I tightened the 3 bolts so no air will not enter their too. But all went well there and drove the car back home after I did the swap.
But there is one other problem that I think I didn't list before. I know when I turn the key to on position, the throttle cable moves a little (like a click click noise then stops). Does it everything time I turn to on. And when the key is turned to off, the IAC makes a buzz noise (not sure if its suppose to do that) I tried many different scenario's like reset the tps, lower the bolt down for the throttle position lever, and just looked around for anything else dealing with that.
But all has been working well after the tps swap again. No high idles or anything. Just acts like it wants to when I change to 5th or 6th but gets back right to normal idle. It does that every so often. If the high idle happens again, not sure what to do
Old 11-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
keypunch

The 04 has a throttle cable device called a relaxer,used to control the traction control.Follow your cable from the throttle body to a round device. On the passenger Sid e and that will be your problem if that is the location of the noise and moving cable
Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
reddragon022

2004 GTO Owner

The plastic cup thing...I took it off but didn't know what to do. Does that deal with cruise control too? What do I look for?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
Steel Chicken
Cthulhu's IT D1r3ktФя

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Why haven't you pulled codes yet. This should step number 1, always.

Quote:
Justice is swift and unfair in the eyes of those who don't know shit. - tmiller

Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
PIYF
9's or bust

Vauxhall CV8/VXR

Race mode is activated.

624/588 <-Dyno Video w/M6
A4 made 560rwhp
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic29974_4.gif
Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
reddragon022

2004 GTO Owner

auto zone said tps/maf...advance said map/maf/tps...
Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
Steel Chicken
Cthulhu's IT D1r3ktФя

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon022...View Post
auto zone said tps/maf...advance said map/maf/tps...

Thats like saying "yep, somethings wrong."

Theres only about 11ty billion codes related to those things. Post specific code numbers. They are there for a reason, to help you find out whats wrong.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
sappy96

2005 GTO Owner

how are the wire looms looking?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #17
reddragon022

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Chicken...View Post
Thats like saying "yep, somethings wrong."

Theres only about 11ty billion codes related to those things. Post specific code numbers. They are there for a reason, to help you find out whats wrong.

Will see can I find the recite that had the codes on there. But the cell isn't showing anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappy96...View Post
how are the wire looms looking?

Looks normal to me but will double check them tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #18
Steel Chicken
Cthulhu's IT D1r3ktФя

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Codes will be retained in memory even if the light goes off, unless you clear codes or yank the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: