Long tubes catless mids for dd? - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Exhaust

Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
IRC_SS

2004 GTO Owner

Long tubes catless mids for dd?

I was looking to put longtubes with catless mids stock catback on my car which I dd I want a nice sounds but nothing crazy. I feel like it might be too loud and get annoying after a while. What's some of your opinions should I go with catted mids and stock catback?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
6point0 goat
Yes, I'm a Registered User...

2005 GTO Owner

On a stock catback, longtubes with catless mids will be very mild.
Show: |6000k Lows/Fogs|TSW Nurburgring|CV8-R Tails|Tinted Markers|PBM Valance|Debadged|Adams|
Handling: |Megan Racing|Hotchkis|Pedders|Lovells|Stoptech|iRotors|S tarSpecs|
1/4 mile: 12.7@109 1.9 60'(Bolt-ons)
"Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races"-Caroll Shelby
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
elephantrider
registered loser

2004 GTO Owner

if your dd'ing it, why do you want to run catless ?

440/400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wang...View Post
It's the smell on your finger that you fap to after a Taco Bell date and some makeout in the 04 with 210k?

Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
PontiacGTO.info
Chunk Chunk Chunk

2005 GTO Owner

Catless is fine if you don't mind the extra smellyness

456 RWHP 425 RWTQ
Bought 7/9/08 Sold 4/25/14
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
GTOStevie

2004 GTO Owner

I had Kooks LT's with the uncatted mids and the stock 04 catback on for about 2 weeks. Wayyyy to quiet and despite what everyone else says I thought the car sounded weak and just awful. Went with exhaust from the mids back and I DD 50 miles a day no problem with the set up.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Coreyc20

I have pacesetter lt's and catless mids with stock catback. Not much louder at idle in my opinion, and you can't really tell a difference from stock at highway speeds. But you can really tell at wot, car sounds like it should have stock. I expected it to be a little louder honestly.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Coreyc20

I dd mine 140 miles round trip to work by the way, very comfortable too, no drone.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #8
EricBlueGTO

2005 GTO Owner

Depends on your budget and what you use the car for. If you daily drive, I would go with catted mids. Nothing worse than smelling like exhaust all day at work, or on a date. Power difference is insignificant between the two. Catted is a bit quieter, but again that's not such a bad thing. I outgrew getting attention from the police a long time ago, so having the loudest exhaust does not appeal to me.
- SLP UDP
- Home ported intake
- Predator w/ Bobcat 455 Tune
- EE catch can
- Lovells suspension bits
Old 11-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
IRC_SS

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBlueGTO...View Post
Depends on your budget and what you use the car for. If you daily drive, I would go with catted mids. Nothing worse than smelling like exhaust all day at work, or on a date. Power difference is insignificant between the two. Catted is a bit quieter, but again that's not such a bad thing. I outgrew getting attention from the police a long time ago, so having the loudest exhaust does not appeal to me.

I'm not in a hurry to put all this on so I can save up to put a catted mids. That's what most I don't want having the extra attention. I have a trans am with cam lt's and true duals dump so I'm pass the loud exhaust thing. Just want something that sounds nice and not annoying.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

IMHO catted cars are the ones that stink. They smell like rotten eggs. FWIW I run LTs with just a X pipe and Borla Pro XS muffs and it has a very nice sound compared to a lot of goats that have cats and louder mufflers.

"It's a well know fact that after you hit 400 HP you have to go with split dual exhaust like the LS2 GTOs. The '04s could get away
with single side because they were only 350 HP. With 400 HP and beyond the car wants to turn right at WOT from the thrust."
Old 11-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
KO6GTO
Banned

Lumina SS

I don't find my cat-less cars to stink at all. I like the smell but I also like burnt toast so my opinion is irrelevant
Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
BigRedWitch

2006 GTO Owner

I run Kooks LTs with catless mids and everything out the back is Magnaflow 3" SS X pipe.It sounds really good driving around,when you get on it WAY too loud,almost sounds like open headers.---Almost

Kooks 1 7/8 LTs-Partiot gold springs-Comp blower cam-Spec3+ clutch-Maggie TVS 1900-ECS 8 rib pulleys with 3.1 snout & 8 inch crank-Pac Alkey control system running 100% meth-K&N CAI-catless mids-MagnaFlow 3 inch cat back with x pipe-275/35/18 back-235/40/18 front-raptor shift led light-Autometer electric FP and Boost gauge and a lot more useless stuff.Some not so useless.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
smitty2919

2004 GTO Owner

I don't smell like gas at all with my catless setup..I don't know what's wrong with your cars. These GTO's smell a lot less than my old 04 GT and 03 Mach 1 did with catless setups.

On stock 04 catback it's not loud.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
sunnyday

2005 GTO Owner

I was worried about the smell but went catless anyway and in my case rarely smell anything. Your stock exhaust should sound good catless.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
PorkchopExpress

My 06 has pacesetter LT's with catless mids going to a stolenfox H pipe and stock exhaust, and my car is pretty loud. But, I like loud.

In fact, the first thing anybody says about my car is "wow, that's loud". It also stinks. BUT, I am pretty sure I am running pig rich down low and need to get my tune cleaned up.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
GunTotingOverhailer
Grunt

2005 GTO Owner

The smell shouldn't be an issue, especially if you lean it out with a tune. I cant wait to go catless...
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #17
paulsz28
Bolt Extractor

2004 GTO Owner

My car = DD + catless mids + Kooks headers.

VERY mild around town. It sounds pretty much stock under 3000RPM as long as I don't goose it. Once I hit 3500RPM, though, those headers start a-singin'. WOT throttle is just a wicked sound, makes me pitch a tent.

It was a little louder than I had expected, but I've gotten use to it and my neighbors say it's not as bad as their cars (70's chevy truck, and 68 camaro ss).
Lovells Front RR Bushings + Strut Mounts|Lovells 0-Drop Springs|KYB Shocks/Struts
05/06 Calipers|DBA Standard S/D Rotors|Hawk PC Pads
Kooks SS Headers + O/R Mid-pipes|Stock Asymmetric Mufflers
HSC Stock Height Motor Mounts
Torco RGO|ATE Super Blue Brake/Clutch
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
KO6GTO
Banned

Lumina SS

Older cars seem to have alot deeper of a tone that you can hear better (like inside a house)
At least my car sounds more high pitched being stock manifolds x-pipe and some bullet mufflers compared to say a 67 427 with sidepipes
Old 11-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #19
Chivorojo

2006 GTO Owner

I did catless Mids with shorties and stock catback. I like the sound, not too loud, but deeper than stock. I'm not too sure about the smell, I always have a window down and never smell like exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #20
IRC_SS

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsz28...View Post

VERY mild around town. It sounds pretty much stock under 3000RPM as long as I don't goose it. Once I hit 3500RPM, though, those headers start a-singin'. WOT throttle is just a wicked sound, makes me pitch a tent.

It was a little louder than I had expected, but I've gotten use to it and my neighbors say it's not as bad as their cars (70's chevy truck, and 68 camaro ss).

I guess this is what I was looking for. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #21
Ehrgeiz X
Leading cause of missing 3rd

2004 GTO Owner

I've got pacesetter LT's and catless mids mated to a custom catback with Spintech mufflers. She sounds very nice, IMO. The idle isn't deafening, but you'll certainly know the car is running, lol. At WOT, she screams her blessed little heart out. With my setup, I deal with very little drone (if at all) and if I feel I need to be as quite as possible, I just drop the RPMs to idle and that usually quiets her down enough to only wake up only the stingiest of neighbors at 2 AM. Honestly, if you're looking for tone over volume, I'd focus on your catback more than headers and mids. Yes, they obvious play a factor in everything, but by adding headers and catless mids to mine, all it did was make her significantly louder. The tone and note stayed pretty much the same.

2004 IBM M6 Cavalier SS
Svede. Pacesetter LT's, Spintech R221's. Pedders/Lovells holding up the rear. NT05R's on her feet. Tuned by Chuck Anders
350/360 on a hot day
1 of 478
LSX Reapers' token '04 Goat
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
smitty2919

2004 GTO Owner

Old 11-20-2012, 04:34 AM   #23
srtwhat

2006 GTO Owner

Ive had my Lts and Catless mids on my cars for about 40k ......... 15k of that was with the stock catback. I personally thought that was too quiet, so i went to dynomax bullets and a jegs x-pipe and i really liked the sound.

2006 Torrid Red M6
Modified Hurst Shifter/ RAM PowerGrip Clutch/ Pacesetter LTS with Catless mids /CTS-V front brake upgrade / Lingenfelter CAI /Ported TB and Manifold / Tuned by John@Broadview Auto / Stock 18s Painted Gloss Black / Eibach 1' Drop springs in the front/ Drag bags in the rear

76mm Single Turbo coming soon.......

388 whp/388wtq

1997 Tahoe- Beater
Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #24
01SS346

2004 GTO Owner

I haven't had Cats on the GTO or my Last Camaro, I love the smell and think my DD is weird cause I can't smell it, but a Mini without cats would be strange haha
04 PBM M6 GTO - Pedders XA's/All Bushings/Ported 5.3L Heads/Ed Curtis Custom Cam/Kooks 1 7/8ths headers No cats/Magnaflow Exhaust/Volant CAI/4.10 Gears with Harrop Cover and Harrop LSD/G Force DS with Billet Yoke/42Lbs Injectors/Chrome 18's (OEM)/06 Brake Conversion/Limo Tint/Eclipse Nav system/HID Low and Fogs/SAP Front and Rear bumper/SAP Grills/Spoiler Delete
Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
BWinc
Tu stultus es

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to BWinc
I'm starting to not notice the smell as much on my catless mids. Can't wait to put on my Afterburners tomorrow for a better sound.

Current: MGW-p, H-pipe, SS OTRCAI, Lovell rear springs, Eliminator shocks, Pioneer AVH-P3300BT, JBA LTs and catless mids, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Kooks Afterburners, Catch can & Tuned by Area47... so far. Next: ???

Quote:
I wanted a friend with benefits not a friend on benefits...

Quote:
I'm so tired of the government reading but never liking my statuses.

Quote:
I despise people who go to the gutter on either the right or the left and hurl rocks at those in the center.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #26
GTOJOE2
Decision, Decisions.

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to GTOJOE2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOStevie...View Post
I had Kooks LT's with the uncatted mids and the stock 04 catback on for about 2 weeks. Wayyyy to quiet and despite what everyone else says I thought the car sounded weak and just awful. Went with exhaust from the mids back and I DD 50 miles a day no problem with the set up.

I disagree. my car: idle and rev with longtubes catless mids and stock catback:

http://youtu.be/sTVwT50nPQo

and a fly by clip:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454570

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsz28...View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212...View Post
IMHO catted cars are the ones that stink. They smell like rotten eggs. FWIW I run LTs with just a X pipe and Borla Pro XS muffs and it has a very nice sound compared to a lot of goats that have cats and louder mufflers.

i rarely smell my car, maybe once an awhile, but even letting idle and sitting outside, doesnt smell.

Svede, Kooks 1 7/8, Catless, Stock 04 CB, TR224, 05/06 driveshaft, 3.91s, Hotchkis Sways, GMM, Russell, DBA, Carbotech, Aerofroce, Breyton Race GTS-AV

"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #27
Koebot

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinc...View Post
I'm starting to not notice the smell as much on my catless mids. Can't wait to put on my Afterburners tomorrow for a better sound.

Gonna be loud! I have the Afterburners but I'll be adding a Magnaflow Tru-X muffler when the headers and catless pipes go on.

Billet Prototypes | Hawk | Kooks | Lovells | Maverick Man | Pedders | Svede | V-LEDS
Old 11-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #28
BWinc
Tu stultus es

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to BWinc
Hopefully the H will take some of the bite out. If its too loud I'll go to Borla.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #29
Ehrgeiz X
Leading cause of missing 3rd

2004 GTO Owner

Magnaflows have a good tone to them while still being relatively neighbor-friendly. The thing about exhaust is you may need to mix and match a few times before you finally find what you want. I got lucky and got it right the first time, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #30
ssclone

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to ssclone
I ran kooks 1-3/4 and catless mids about 20k miles (1year) with stock cat back and cammed.

Then for a month and half I ran it with moroso spiral flow race mufflers. Stock car back was too quiet.

I sold it all and back to stock with the moroso's, due to money reasons.

I never noticed the smell, but I'm used to cammed no cats carbed vehicles. So it didnt bother me.

If you think it'll be too loud don't do it.

Sound is subjective. I hate flowmasters, but others love them. So everyone's opinion with a grain of salt.

Aaron

Built and tuned by yours truly!

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/ssclonelq9/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: