Diablo Predator on Daily Driver - Worth it? - Page 6 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tuning/Dyno Results

Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #151
J.D.
Daily Driver

2006 GTO Owner

So my thoughts after running this for awhile now on a daily driver - same trip day in day out, same gas station, gas grade, etc.

Diablo tune definitely has better power and throttle response, you can definitely feel it when driving especially under power. Definitely shifts crisper without the little "lag" for lack of better terms. Seems to idle the same, start just as easy. The only negatives are the traction control is basically disabled, and I consistently get 0.5-0.7mpg LESS than the stock tune. I've decided to run the stock tune through winter when I need the traction control and then put in the performance tune in the summertime for a little bit of fun. No regrets, definitely worth the money and I'd recommend it to anyone on a daily driver, and still no regrets I didn't opt for a full blown custom tune
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #152
raygnicky
Mr.CGM / Team G.P Performace

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D....View Post
So my thoughts after running this for awhile now on a daily driver - same trip day in day out, same gas station, gas grade, etc.

Diablo tune definitely has better power and throttle response, you can definitely feel it when driving especially under power. Definitely shifts crisper without the little "lag" for lack of better terms. Seems to idle the same, start just as easy. The only negatives are the traction control is basically disabled, and I consistently get 0.5-0.7mpg LESS than the stock tune. I've decided to run the stock tune through winter when I need the traction control and then put in the performance tune in the summertime for a little bit of fun. No regrets, definitely worth the money and I'd recommend it to anyone on a daily driver, and still no regrets I didn't opt for a full blown custom tune

Cam heads intake still on a diablo no need for a Dyno tune ...congrats on your gains on your diablo you can go along ways with the diablo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG6q0VLYHDU
GTO #1
Cyclonic Rabbit

Mods : Trick flow heads & cam | Fast 102 | L.T.'s | Vararam | 3.91's | 3600 Stall | 610 lbs diet

485/441 stock cid
10.993 @ 122.90 1.55 60ft E.T. Streets @ sac
best 60 1.51 trap 125.99
str weight 3075 lbs
Race weight 2975 lbs.
Diablo tuned myself

GTO #2
2006 CGM M6

Mods : Ported 243's | VRX5 | Fast 92 | Long-tubes | Vararam |

494/452 Stock cid
11.70 @ 119.42 1.81 60ft @ Sonoma

str weight 3440 lbs
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #153
jbo'sgoat
100k Club

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I'm on a diablew tune and happy with it. See sig.

'05 QSM M6
Ported Intake Manifold, Ported TB, Powerbond UDP, Duspeed OTRAI LS3 maf, Kooks, Cherry Bomb Mufflers, MGW-P, BC Coilovers, 4 cornered DBA 4000 Slotted, Motive 3.91's built by AmericanBadAss

396 hp 382 ft/lbs tq tuned by Diablew

JBA Shorties w/catless mids, Ported Intake Manifold, Svede
379/384 Diablew Tune
12.661 @110.2mph 1.92 60' on street tires
Old 11-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #154
BWinc
Tu stultus es

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to BWinc
I know nothing about the Predators, but can't you adjust fuel trims and air/fuel ratios to get your mpg back?

I'm one of those people still debating getting an InTune or having someone with HPT tune my car. Mine is just a street and trip car for fun. I want get a decent balance of performance/economy.

Current: MGW-p, H-pipe, SS OTRCAI, Lovell rear springs, Eliminator shocks, Pioneer AVH-P3300BT, JBA LTs and catless mids, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Kooks Afterburners, Catch can & Tuned by Area47... so far. Next: ??? Wish list: Intake & TB, modest cam (and supporting hardware), UDP, gears

I'm so tired of the government reading but never liking my statuses.

"I despise people who go to the gutter on either the right or the left and hurl rocks at those in the center."
Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #155
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinc...View Post
I know nothing about the Predators, but can't you adjust fuel trims and air/fuel ratios to get your mpg back?

Absolutely. And no Predator tuning should be considered complete until you have run some logs and adjusted the long term fuel trims.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #156
evillally
Pontiacfex Maximus

I recently bought a used Predator. Car pulls a little harder, but I lost at least 2 MPG. I've been logging data and adjusting LFTRs with my Predator using this old thread:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60633
Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #157
paulsz28
Bolt Extractor

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by evillally...View Post
I recently bought a used Predator. Car pulls a little harder, but I lost at least 2 MPG. I've been logging data and adjusting LFTRs with my Predator using this old thread:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60633

I lost MPG, too, but it was BECAUSE the car pulls like a burned boar. I had a really heavy foot the past year since I put the P-tune and headers on there. The car sounds great and is really fun to drive. I had been getting like 14.7 MPG in city with Pred+headers, when I used to get like 17.1 MPG before the Pred+headers.

Lately (really just the past month), I've been babying the car more and I don't run the A/C in the cooler weather. My MPGs are almost back up to where they were (16MPG or so in town vs the 17MPG they used to be).

I'm still on the fence about a Diablew tune vs a dyno tune, though.
Lovells Front RR Bushings + Strut Mounts|Lovells 0-Drop Springs|KYB Shocks/Struts
05/06 Calipers|DBA Standard S/D Rotors|Hawk PC Pads
Kooks SS Headers + O/R Mid-pipes|Stock Asymmetric Mufflers
HSC Stock Height Motor Mounts
Torco RGO|ATE Super Blue Brake/Clutch
Old 11-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #158
87LC2
Banned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I have a '05-'06 Predator for someone local to Philly for free, if anyone's interested.

Unlocked, no USB cable.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #159
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

My MPGs went up with a Predator canned tune and a little more with a Lew tune. I get 21-22 on a regular basis, 19-20 if I do a lot of city driving.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #160
jbo'sgoat
100k Club

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower...View Post
My MPGs went up with a Predator canned tune and a little more with a Lew tune. I get 21-22 on a regular basis, 19-20 if I do a lot of city driving.

^^^^this if you're not getting better mpg's! I highly recommend SSMonte for a tune! It's a great tune for bolt-ons until you get in heads/cam if you're not comfortable tuning the diablo yourself! My MPG's are sky high after all said and done with my tune! Ever seen your fuel range say 490?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #161
BWinc
Tu stultus es

2006 GTO Owner

Rich runs shorties and I'm assuming jbo's being in Cali is also. How much a factor would that be in the mpg game?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #162
jbo'sgoat
100k Club

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Rich runs shorties and I'm assuming jbo's being in Cali is also. How much a factor would that be in the mpg game?

Yes shorties, catless. When I was on the stock tune M6, I had to be no faster than 70mph to get a freeway average of 24-26, after the SSMonte tune with the headers catless ported intake I can run freeway speeds of +75mph 26-28mpg depending on road conditions. I drove back from Las Vegas 180 miles and had an average of 32mpg, another guy same mods but with a v.2 torquer cam got 27mpg on a diablo tune by one of club members.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #163
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:

I was getting the roughly the same MPG before I put on the Vararam, shorties, high flow cats and catback. Well, maybe the MPG went up just a little after all these bolt-ons and an update to the tune. Basically stock with a Diablew tune I got 24-26 on a road trip.

BTW, I calculate my MPG using actual miles / gallons math, not just trusting what the DIC readout is telling me since the DIC can tend to be optomistic.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #164
87LC2
Banned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbo'sgoat...View Post
^^^^this if you're not getting better mpg's! I highly recommend SSMonte for a tune! It's a great tune for bolt-ons until you get in heads/cam if you're not comfortable tuning the diablo yourself! My MPG's are sky high after all said and done with my tune! Ever seen your fuel range say 490?

No.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500range.jpg (97.2 KB, 247 views)
Old 11-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #165
BWinc
Tu stultus es

2006 GTO Owner

The insta mileage at 0.62 I've seen.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #166
GTOZZ
Holdiac Performance

2006 GTO Owner

The Predator reduces torque management on the engine side for a noticeable increase in throttle response . It's an easy and cost-effective mod for the LS2. The Diablosport Predator DOES NOT alter the 465le in the 05-06 A4's.

I recently averaged a surprising 23mpg over a 360 mile highway trip with the cruise control set to 70 mph most of the time. I can't say if that was due to using cc or maybe my new SAP (Magnaflow) 18" oval chambered mufflers. Other engine mods are K&N drop in filter and Vector HSRK with IAT sensor relocated inside the airbox. Typical Predator mpg with stock mufflers and no cc was always 19.5 hwy, 15 city, about 1mpg lower than the stock tune.
Eyes: FLC bezel pod w/ dual Aeroforce Interceptors. 9005XV fogs.
Show: Autocross grilles. IBM rear valance. GraFxWerks.

Last edited by GTOZZ; 11-20-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #167
jbo'sgoat
100k Club

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
No.

Looks like you even got a few miles on it too. I got 80 miles before mine dropped to 480. And that's crap 91 from California summer junk blend.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #168
87LC2
Banned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Summer = best mpg.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #169
JP86SS

Thumbs up Try it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
I have a '05-'06 Predator for someone local to Philly for free, if anyone's interested.

Unlocked, no USB cable.

So how much for someone not quite local?
Not sure if I'm risking smurfing the ECM using one but if the price is right and you still have it.
I might have VIN option issues already from the PO.
LMK
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: