My Bassani takes a dump! - Page 2 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Exhaust

Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #31
44CUPMASTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishkevich...View Post
Well, this is the 6th bad story I've heard about BEHE. I've heard three good ones, so I thank you for that. They charge an arm and a leg for everything, and apparently do good work for their regulars, but half ass for the newbies/one timers.

Sorry to hear about the muffler, I have nothing to add to that, Just wanted to thank you for the feed back.

What bad stories have you heard? Just curious as they've always done me right.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #32
sam5828

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
In the old days, we would take a beater and get it going pretty good through a tunnel. Take your foot off the gas, shut off the engine, pump the gas a couple times and then turn the key back on.

People have blown mufflers right off the car.

With a carb, even on engine decel it would feed some gas, pump the pedal and the engine sucks up the fuel and dumps it right out the exhaust. Turn the key back on and you light the fire. All that raw fuel pumped into the exhaust lights off and you get a good backfire. Too much and it will blow the exhaust apart.

You had a little one of those.

LOL that was always fun.

- GT1-1 Camshaft

- Ported/Polished throttle body

- Lingenfelter air intake

- 160 degree thermostat

- Kooks stainless headers

- Magnaflow exhaust no cats Xpipe

- Monster Stage 3

- 4.10 Gear

- Drag Bags/ Anti wheel hop axles

Old 11-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #33
PontiacGTO.info
Chunk Chunk Chunk

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
In the old days, we would take a beater and get it going pretty good through a tunnel. Take your foot off the gas, shut off the engine, pump the gas a couple times and then turn the key back on.

People have blown mufflers right off the car.

With a carb, even on engine decel it would feed some gas, pump the pedal and the engine sucks up the fuel and dumps it right out the exhaust. Turn the key back on and you light the fire. All that raw fuel pumped into the exhaust lights off and you get a good backfire. Too much and it will blow the exhaust apart.

You had a little one of those.

I remember years back when I was younger my dad did this in a Utility truck he was borrowing. He did it right past a ton of cops that had a remote DUI station in a grocery store parking lot. Talk about some heads turning.

456 RWHP 425 RWTQ
Bought 7/9/08 Sold 4/25/14
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #34
LsSlow
340 rwhp/tq at $9800.00 :)

2004 GTO Owner

have you had your tune looked at yet?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #35
torrid06gto

2006 GTO Owner

ur not alone my bassani muffler split at the weld also with no backfire.......i was just driving down the road, hit a bump and all of a sudden it sounds like i got open headers......look under the car and there was a 6" tear up the muffler like superman ripped it open with his bare hands....and the car DID NOT bottom out and hit......i junked it and bought a magnaflow

Torrid Red on Red 06' M6
Advanced Induction 226/234 Cam, FAST 90 422rwhp/397rwtq
12.7 @ 115 blazing out of the hole like grandma with a 2.28 60' at a featherweight 4085lbs

95 LTx Camaro
386c.i., Advanced Induction Heads and Cam -9.91 @ 134.77 Naturally Aspirated 3300#
2010-2011 LTX Shootout Mod NA Champion....GMHTP past two spring issues....
MVMotorsports Engine Building and Electrical Design
Old 12-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #36
44CUPMASTER

I just did a Google search and found several references to Bassani muffler failures. SVT forums, Charger Forums, Modded Mustangs Forum, etc. It may just be a quality issue. I've had no issues at all with Corsa, and I have had B&B, Borla, Remus, and other high-end exhaust manufacturers fail. It usually resulted from too-thin pipes but others were weld issues.

Also, you never mentioned if you ever got the tune checked.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #37
MDbrazengoat
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44CUPMASTER...View Post

I can't comment on what others have experienced at BEHE, but I have heard others say bad things about them. I met a guy at the track last summer with a twin turbo GTO that wishes he'd never heard of BEHE, but I can't say specifically why. I can only report on my own experience.

The following is a excerpt from an email I sent to another shop (Andy at CSP), where I'm just detailing for him, some of the problems I've had with BEHE, so he'll have an idea about what may have led to my current problems:

1) Had a GMM Ripshift installed by Tony's Corvette Shop about 2-3 years ago. I had
Tony's do it because from all accounts, it's a super bitch to install.
Never had a single problem with it. BEHE does my drive train, and within a
day of getting the car back, the shifter is flopping around like a freshly
caught trout. Took it back three times to get them to tighten it back up,
and then finally gave up. It's still loose as a goose, and I hope you can
fix it for me so that it stays solid.

2) To do the engine and cooling system work, BEHE had to take off my front
bumper and hood. When I got the car back, the hood was not lining up with
the fenders (shut lines had sizable gaps), and the bumper clip was bowed
out on both ends. They claimed that the car was that way when I brought it
in!!!! I was just in an accident 2 months ago (lady in a CTS t-boned me,
but that's another story). When I got to the body shop, they removed the
bumper cover and said that whoever had worked on the car last had removed all of the bumper clips that hold the thing in place! Since they are not sold individually (they say), and since it was not part of the accident
damage, I had to spring for a whole new bumper cover!

3) When I picked the car up after the drivetrain install, I noticed that
both my exhaust pipes would clang around when I went over bumps. Checked them out and they were both loose. BEHE had forgotten to put back on all of the rubber support hangers. Took the car back and they couldn't find my lost hangers, so they strategically moved the remaining hangers from place to place to steady the exhaust and said they would order some replacements for me. I called back a week later to check on the hangers, and they had no idea what I was talking about.

4) Just like your guy with the maggie and 3.91's, my speedo is also off. I
had 3.70's installed and ever since then, my speedo now reads 5 MPH faster
than the car is actually going. Went back twice for him to correct that,
and whatever he did, if he did anything at all, made absolutely no
difference. So everyday I drive the car, I'm putting some non existing
mileage on the OD that the car has never actually driven. Hopefully you'll
be able to fix that for me as well.

5) When I got my car back after the cam install, I was about 2 miles from
leaving the shop (BEHE), and I started hearing this awful shuddering air
noise whenever I'd back off of the throttle. Took the car back right away,
and while BEHE's son was fiddling around with the throttle body, I looked
under the car and saw that the vacuum hose going to the Procharger's BOV
was cut. It was cut because he had run the hose down through the
serpentine belt pulleys!! I mean, I'm certainly no mechanic, but that
really seems like some rookie shit right there, right? This is when the
sweat started to bead on my brow, as I considered all the money I'd just
given to this bozo and his shop to go and screw my car up so royally!

6) When I picked the car up initially, the center console cover was
missing. Yes, you read that right. Missing. They had forgotten to put it
back on and left it in the trunk! I mean Christ! How could you miss a
thing like that? They just handed me the keys and said all finished! When I list all these things out here, I can't believe
that I was ever dumb enough to go back.

There's a lot more, but you get the picture. I glad they did you right, but count yourself as lucky.

Power: Custom CSP Built LS3 Stroker - 416 C.I. Forged. D-1SC @ 10 psi - 100 lb. injec, 8-rib, Kooks SS LT's, & Catless Mids, Bassani Ex.

Drive-Train: Rick Kim T-56, SS Twin Clutch, 2-Piece DS, Anti-hop Axles, Stubs, Eaton Trutrac, Motive 3.70 Gears, GMM Ripshift.

Brakes: DBA 4000 w/Hawk CC Pads + Russell Lines.

Suspension: Pedders Full Repair.

Wheels: Stock 17's, VY CV8-R - 18's, Weld RT-S 17x10's.

Dyno: 660 RWHP, 601 RWTQ
Tuned by Andrew @ CSP.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #38
MDbrazengoat
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LsSlow...View Post
have you had your tune looked at yet?

Sorry for not responding sooner, but there has been nothing new to report. I spoke with Andrew at CSP and I'm scheduled to bring my car to him after the new year, so I'll let everyone know the results after that. Right now, I drive the car very gently, which is hard cause it's such a beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrid06gto...View Post
ur not alone my bassani muffler split at the weld also with no backfire.......i was just driving down the road, hit a bump and all of a sudden it sounds like i got open headers......look under the car and there was a 6" tear up the muffler like superman ripped it open with his bare hands....and the car DID NOT bottom out and hit......i junked it and bought a magnaflow

Wow, okay, that's the first time I've heard that another GTO had the same/similar issue. Perhaps my tune is okay, or did not cause the Bassani to fail, but I won't really know that until I've had some expert eyes on the thing. If it turns out that the unit failed due to a poor weld, then I'll go after them for a replacement under their lifetime warranty.

Quote:
I just did a Google search and found several references to Bassani muffler failures. SVT forums, Charger Forums, Modded Mustangs Forum, etc. It may just be a quality issue. I've had no issues at all with Corsa, and I have had B&B, Borla, Remus, and other high-end exhaust manufacturers fail. It usually resulted from too-thin pipes but others were weld issues.

Also, you never mentioned if you ever got the tune checked.

See above about the tune, but I will definitely check into the other reported Bassani failures, and use that as leverage should I go after them for a replacement. Thanks for that, however, I really don't want to go with another exhaust system as I love the Bassani sound. If it is a quality issue, then I may be persuaded to go with either the Kooks or Spintech 3" systems, but I'm hoping to restore what I currently have.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #39
3800Chris

2006 GTO Owner

Even though you are already going to CSP, I wanted to chime in and say Andrew is a very good guy. I went to him for a tune and some injectors and he was very professional. I have some background in tuning, but not on GTOs. He took the time to explain a few things to me and tell me about what he was doing.

Also, I've had the car for 6-9 months tuned and it is running great. Considering how rough my cam is I am very impressed with how driveable it is and how well it idles.
2006 IBM M6: Svede, Ported Fast 102, AFR 230v2 62cc heads, EdC cam 236-244, Kooks stepped headers, Corsa sport catback, GMM shifter, Monster level 2 clutch, BC coilovers, BMR STB & DSSL, Pedders bushings, HSC motor mounts, poly trans mount insert, 19x9.5" wheels & 275 RE-11s, aeroforce & wideband, Tuned by Andrew at CSP, HID headlights and fogs
482whp/429wtq
Up Next: Anti wheel hop Axles & Stubs
Old 12-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #40
MDbrazengoat
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3800Chris...View Post
Even though you are already going to CSP, I wanted to chime in and say Andrew is a very good guy. I went to him for a tune and some injectors and he was very professional. I have some background in tuning, but not on GTOs. He took the time to explain a few things to me and tell me about what he was doing.

Also, I've had the car for 6-9 months tuned and it is running great. Considering how rough my cam is I am very impressed with how driveable it is and how well it idles.

Thanks. That's good to hear. Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about Andrew and CSP from the members out here, whose opinions I value the most. I initially wanted to go with Andrew for my last major round of mods, but since he's not local to me and does not do suspension work (a big part of my mod list) I went with BEHE instead.

When I originally contacted Andrew, he was very open and honest about what he could and couldn't do at his shop, as well as making some suggestions about my mod list. For this and his great reputation, my gut was telling me to go with him for as much of the work as possible, but I ignored my gut and went with (what I thought was) the practical route. Oh boy, do I wish I'd listened to my gut...
Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #41
MDbrazengoat
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

**UPDATE**

Okay, I think it's finally over, for now anyways. Attached is a picture of the Bassani X-pipe muffler that's clearly blown open and burned out. Andrew at CSP took the pic and described the Bassani material around the seams as being a bit thin, however, it should not have failed like that. As it turns out, the BEHE tune was whack! The air tables were okay but the fuel was way out of balance and super-rich, like I'd suspected, and likely caused the detonation that ruined the exhaust.

Bassani was good about this though, and they honored their lifetime warranty, with the only caveat being that I had to send them the damaged section (at my expense), and wait a few weeks for them to manufacture me a replacement. Given the probability that my tune is what destroyed the original muffler, I can't say anything bad about how Bassani handled this.

Andrew was a bit stumped initially by the readings he was getting when looking at the BEHE tune, but he figured out, not only what was wrong with my tune, but why it was so messed up in the first place. BEHE had failed to account for the electronic pigtail adapter (which had originally been installed by Tony's Corvette Shop) to allow the stock MAF to work with the larger injectors after the blower was put on. This is a very neat way of doing things, that Andrew said he hadn't seen before, but was going to recommend for those that wish to keep their stock sensor in place (for cost reasons).

If I'm understanding things correctly, The pigtail that Tony's put in is a very clever way around the problem, because it tricks your stock MAF into greatly expanding the range of fuel delivery, behind the stock sensor readings, but if you don't connect to the pigtail for your readings, then the sensor data on the stock MAF is going to appear to be incredibly lean cause it thinks your using the stock 38 lb. injectors, and not the 60 lb. ones that are actually in there. Andrew thinks that BEHE completely ignored the pigtail, and it would explain why the tune was soooo rich, because they were proceeding from incorrect readings.

He found other mistakes as well, but you get the picture. Through Andrew at CSP, I went from 505 WHP when I arrived to 565 HP after he finished. That's a 60 HP gain folks, and I got also got over 50 lbs more TQ!!

I picked up the car yesterday and truly enjoyed the 2 hour ride back to Maryland. The car is running sweet, smooth and very strong. The acceleration is very linear, like it should be, and no flat spots. The engine runs up as smoothly as it did when stock, but it pulls much harder of course!

Andrew is a great guy to work with. Patient, and very dedicated to what he does, and the results speak for themselves. While I was there, there were a couple of guys who'd come down from New York with their 1955 Chevy Belair Rusto-mod! Awesome car. It was featured in the August 2012 issue of Hot Rod mag. Guys like that coming to Andrew should say it all for anyone wondering if they should bring their car to him for tuning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-01-22_16-36-19_701.jpg (166.0 KB, 296 views)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #42
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Glad to hear you are back on the road better than ever.
Vararam
Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #43
Chamberz

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Chamberz Send a message via Yahoo to Chamberz Send a message via Skype™ to Chamberz
You drive it today? and will there be an track appearance for you Saturday?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #44
Quiksilver
Grumpy Bastage

2004 GTO Owner

This ^

I haz it too.

Except the hole is about 3x larger and loud as smurf. Just ordered a new 05/06 catback because of it, and the fact that one of the hangers in the middle of the catback just ripped clean off the pipe (WTF). Bought the exhaust second-hand, so no warranty.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #45
dizzysn

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to dizzysn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDbrazengoat...View Post
Lots of words

Glad you got it all worked out, and that you're making the power you should be. BEHE is whack. Just search for "BEHE problem" on LS1tech or corvetteforums.com to see what I mean.

2004 YJ M6: LS7 clutch, GMM ripshift, Pacesetter LTs, catless mids, SLP LM1, RPM 3 cam: 113LSA 236/242, UDP: 411/375 SOLD

2002 Electron Blue C5 Z06: LS7 clutch, American Racing LTs, XSP exhaust, Vararam CAI, MGW shifter, RPM 3 cam: 114 LSA, 236/242, RPM lvl4 trans: 430rwhp/385ftlbs.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #46
MDbrazengoat
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Glad to hear you are back on the road better than ever.

Thanks bud.So nice to be driving a fast car again, and even nicer to be driving a well balanced one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberz...View Post
You drive it today? and will there be an track appearance for you Saturday?

You know I did! What's the story on Saturday? Is that a test and tune night at Capitol? If so, then yeah, I might go. Not sure if I'll run though. I might be able to squeak a high 11 sec pass, spinning through 1st and 2nd gears, but I'll need slicks on 15's if I ever hope to get a time worthy of the HP I'm making.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #47
MDbrazengoat
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzysn...View Post
Glad you got it all worked out, and that you're making the power you should be. BEHE is whack. Just search for "BEHE problem" on LS1tech or corvetteforums.com to see what I mean.

lots of words...that great, and so true. Yeah, I've since looked into BEHE enough to know that I'll never go there again, and will warn others to stay far away...
Old 03-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #48
MDbrazengoat
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilver...View Post

This ^

I haz it too.

Except the hole is about 3x larger and loud as smurf. Just ordered a new 05/06 catback because of it, and the fact that one of the hangers in the middle of the catback just ripped clean off the pipe (WTF). Bought the exhaust second-hand, so no warranty.

Wow. Sounds like you may have a tuning issue as well, especially since yours blew up even worse. Even though it's not under warranty, contact Bassani anyway. They may be willing to sell you just the parts you need to restore the system at a reasonable price. They were pretty good to deal with, so they might help you out here.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #49
Quiksilver
Grumpy Bastage

2004 GTO Owner

No tuning issues here, but I did have the 02s shit bricks multiple times due to some connection/water/leak issues.

My stance is still that the muffler is very heavy, and is at the least supported point in the exhaust. Enough bending moment and flexure targeted right on a spot that is no more than a weld and some sheet metal and you have a recipe for fracture.

I bought a new Bassani already, specifically because of the lifetime warranty. So it's good to hear that they stood behind it and fixed your muffler.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #50
Ol' Yeller
Vtec

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:

He's not the only one. Had a buddy who had a good bit of work done by them and the car ran like shit, to make a long story short, until he got in touch with Nick Williams. That was a few years ago. I would not let them touch my car, especially with their ridiculous prices..

2005 PBM M12
APS TT
Coilovers
Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #51
Phoenix
It will rise again
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2004 GTO Owner

[QUOTE=Quiksilver;9886674]

I had the same thing happen to the Bassani muffler on my 04.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #52
MEAN GTO

2005 GTO Owner

Sorry to hear about your problems with Behe Performance. Bassani is a GREAT sounding system though.

In case you're interested, feel free to check out this post regarding problems I've personally had with Behe. Others have had tuning problems from them as well:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574690

Precision Turbo Twin 62mm T4 Turbos | FlowTech Custom Blower Cam | Full 3" Custom Stainless Exhaust
Bassani X-Pipe | Bassani Race Mufflers | Bassani 4" Exhaust Tips | LC-1 Wideband
Siemens 60lb/hr Injectors | Aeromotive LS2 Fuel Rails | Walbro 255 lb/hr Fuel Pump
Performabuilt Level II 4L60E | Vigilante 3400 Converter | Hughes Performance Trans Pan | BMR Drag Bags
NLR AMS-1000 Boost Controller | Lingenfelter Launch Controller | Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump

Old 10-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #53
GTOWhisperer
Voted Most Likely to be FPFQ

2006 GTO Owner

Old 10-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #54
wrp
Taco Bell

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDbrazengoat...View Post
Okay folks, looking for help here...

A few weeks ago, I heard a loud backfire directly under my seat (where the Bassani x-pipe muffler sits).

I'm really wondering why the Bassani muffler split open like that.

Any thoughts from the great and the wise out here would be appreciated!

Do you have any idea how much I would charge you to blow such a perfect hold in your muffler? Looking at the pics I can sense a high level of artistic quality in that zaust pipe mod, surely it was the hand of a higher being. On the smell mine was tuned rich for years and considering the way I abused it that may have been a good thing. One great cure for the gas smell is E85. Drawback is you get a lot of ATF agents foloowing you around the neighborhood.

Here is some documentary History on zaust mods

And of course the turbonator

What the heck, this is my family's role in inventing the Subaru WRX STi

Just think, now you can ride around and respond to people like this

"ZOMG, boost it to the moon, it can handle it"

Mods: A bumble bee is considerably faster than a John Deere tractor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: