opinions about clutches - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Drivetrain

Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
WYGSS

opinions about clutches

Hey guys I got an 04 and since I bought the car Last Feb the master cylinder has been bad. I got a clutch fluid flush but it jut got dirtied back up. Now in spring I'm going to get it fixed but just want to get some opinions on what type of clutch to put back in I hear people telling me to do a ls7 clutch and fly wheel but what about after market clutches? I heard some people say they won't last as long. I'm thinking about a monster stage 3-5.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Ironmancan
Bite my shiny metal ass

2006 GTO Owner

Monster or Non-Sponsor will perform better than the LS7 and last just as long. Unless your putting down serious power I'd stick with the stage 3.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
WYGSS

That's the other thing I don't know but I might build the engine for more power but idk how much tho. Right now everything is just stock.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Ironmancan
Bite my shiny metal ass

2006 GTO Owner

Since a clutch is a wear item get a little more than you need and upgrade when you need to. Having a clutch that will handle 1000hp in a 400hp car is overkill of the worst sort. Your still wearing on it so when you actually have 1000hp you'll be needing a new clutch. As you can imagine 1000hp clutches aren't cheap.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
TheRocket
I Wanna Go Fast

2005 GTO Owner

I really love how the Monster Stage 3 drives. It's a bit on the aggresive side for DD, but it certainly isn't overwhelming. I enjoyed the peddle feel. Knowing that it's good on power for a decent build is also a plus.

2005 Pearl Orange Metallic
PB:12.98@107.1mph
LS3 Intake/Heads - Comp Custom Grind Cam 224/230 .609/.609 113+2 - FTI 3200 Triple Disc - Svede - Lunati - Katech - Cometic - GMPP - SLP - Kooks - MagnaFlow - BC 8/10k Coilovers - Pedders - Whiteline - DBA - Hawk - TSW Cadwells - Goldilocks Splitter - Maverick Man Carbon Spoiler - Morimoto - 06 Tails - Elemental Designs Nine.1 Amp - Phoenix Gold - Hybrid Audio - TC Sounds - Kenwood
Old 11-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
GTO_22
Devil Powered Engine

2004 GTO Owner

+1 on monster 3 its what I run and its good till 700, I believe. One of the vendors has them on sale right now too.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Big ol 68

2004 GTO Owner

I love my Monster stage 2. Drives like stock, just a firmer pedal. When you get after it tho, it grabs. Great for a DD.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Radio
Steve @ SNL/Monster Clutch
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2004 GTO Owner

Our level 2 or 3 will work great. How much do you plan on making?

We do it all! Pricing or install questions? Email me directly at steve@snlperformance.com

Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
JoeMama's GTO
This car goes to 11

2006 GTO Owner

Here is my opinion, the Monster Stage 3 has about a 30% stiffer than stock pedal feel. This is not a bad thing unless you find yourself in heavy traffic often (Green Bay commuting?). It has more of a older muscle car feel to it that is reassuring. Monster's customer service is also excellent. However, for availability reasons I went back to a Textralia OZ700 and damn near put the pedal through the floor as the clutch is light as stock. The OZ700 has since held up to 5500 RPM clutch dumps at the track with over 600 ft-lbs of RWTQ on my old nitrous setup. The Tex is still going strong on a Procharged setup with over 500 ft-lbs 30k miles later. I would highly recommend this clutch for applications that I have mentioned and where DD duty may involve heavy traffic.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
WYGSS

It will be a year or two before I might get to building the motor. Right now I'm paying on the loan. If i do build it I might try around 700hp. No green bay doesn't have a lot of heavy traffic right now. So I'm thinking with my taxes I'm going to purchase a stage 3 and upgrade down the road if i have to. Just the main thing is I want to get my master cylinder fixed cause right now when I floor it on the highway the clutch pedal will just stiffen up and will grab right as i Let off instead of the usual 1/2 way off the floor.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
yowzerman
Clean is good...

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYGSS...View Post
It will be a year or two before I might get to building the motor. Right now I'm paying on the loan. If i do build it I might try around 700hp. No green bay doesn't have a lot of heavy traffic right now. So I'm thinking with my taxes I'm going to purchase a stage 3 and upgrade down the road if i have to. Just the main thing is I want to get my master cylinder fixed cause right now when I floor it on the highway the clutch pedal will just stiffen up and will grab right as i Let off instead of the usual 1/2 way off the floor.

Since you're a year or two away from a build and don't know how strong you'll make it, a level 2 or 3 Monster will be more than enough. In two year's time, it'll be gently worn and you can always upgrade then with your new build. My Monster 3 has 25K on it and my stroker is well over 500whp and torque and grabs like new.

Tom.

404 forged stroker, M6...ETP 225s, FAST, 3:91s, Lunati/Morel high rpm link bars, etc.,etc...not bad...

Custom paintwork and wheels by CGCBandit.

Did I say my car can go very fast, fast?
Old 11-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
Ovrpwrd
"The Detailer"

2005 GTO Owner

A year or two is a long way off. I personally would go with a mild clutch(ls7) for the stock feel, still will hold some power upgrades and see where you take it in a couple of years. It's not like the clutch is a major job.
A Monster will be more expensive, prob chatter(from what I hear) and be total overkill on a daily driver. Just my $.02
You can usually find a used LS7 for $250-$300 . Then if you upgrade in a couple of years... No big loss, got you moneys worth out of it
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Ovrpwrd; 11-22-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
Non-Sponsor-Engineering
Banned

We have the StreetSlayer at $499,much better piece than the ls7 and as good or better than clutches costing nearly twice as much.Very smooth and easy pedal,give me a call and ill be glad to help you
Old 11-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
mebuildit

I'm getting ready to put in a Mantic clutch from Australia. They have been making clutches for our cars for years with great success.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
N2oGTO
N2oGTO

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to N2oGTO
I put an ls7 in my car a couple years and still happy with it...
Old 11-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
wrp
Taco Bell

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I've had pretty much every brand except the Non-Sponsor and the Monster Clutches served me best. After dropping two Tex OZ700's in less than 4000 miles (longest lasting of the aftermarkets) I was very happy to get a stage III that held the power and lasted for a long time. I went through several stages as I upgraded my car. Kinda sorry I didn't have the opportunity to install one of the Monster Twins or Triples but my 11 inch ceramic Monster held 800+ horsepower and 1000 lbs ft of torque for nearly three years. We have the same components that McLeod uses in my wife's Honda accord and that does seem to hold the Honda power well.

"ZOMG, boost it to the moon, it can handle it"

Mods: A bumble bee is considerably faster than a John Deere tractor.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
Radio
Steve @ SNL/Monster Clutch
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp...View Post
I've had pretty much every brand except the Non-Sponsor and the Monster Clutches served me best. After dropping two Tex OZ700's in less than 4000 miles (longest lasting of the aftermarkets) I was very happy to get a stage III that held the power and lasted for a long time. I went through several stages as I upgraded my car. Kinda sorry I didn't have the opportunity to install one of the Monster Twins or Triples but my 11 inch ceramic Monster held 800+ horsepower and 1000 lbs ft of torque for nearly three years. We have the same components that McLeod uses in my wife's Honda accord and that does seem to hold the Honda power well.

WOOOORDDDDD!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
Steel Chicken
L33T IT Direktor, Excel PhD

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

My only advice would be to search on vendor ratings in the feedback section. Also, whatever level of clutch you think you might need, go up one level. Many clutch manufacturers overrate what their clutches are capable of.

Quote:
Justice is swift and unfair in the eyes of those who don't know shit. - tmiller

Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
Duckman
Kollar Racing Products

2004 GTO Owner

Monster makes an ass kicking clutches. Best of all they are on sale right now!!

NEED TECHNICAL SUPPORT? SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE EVERYDAY 8AM-8PM EST

631-902-2276
http://kollarracingproducts.com
sales@kollarracingproducts.com
GREAT PARTS, GREAT PRICES, FAST SHIPPING.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: