Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #32
dreadpirateroberts
derp

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike...View Post
HPT cable has two analog inputs that cannot be calibrated.

EFI live cable has a direct digital input for widebands, far more accurate than analog inputs. It also has four analog inputs that can be calibrated, along with two thermocouple inputs for diesel tuning, and a switched state input that nitrous guys find useful.

The custom O/S's ... EFI Live offers for free are more sophisticated and bug free than the ones HPT charges for.

The VCM scanner is software that runs on a PC. EFI Live will scan and read out engine functions from the cable itself with no PC needed. The same goes for changing tunes. Simply hook up the EFI Live cable at the track, or when switching from E85 to regular gas, and pop in a new tune without hauling around a laptop. Also has unlimited scanning and logging without a PC needed. Many tracks do not allow you to make runs with a PC in the car.

Looks like I may be switching soon.

2004 Impulse Blue Metallic/Blue M6 - much slower than it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft...View Post
I like my cars how I like my woman. Small, light, low to the ground and pre obd2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft...View Post
GTO is jack of all trades, master of none.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #33
Lakegoat

2005 GTO Owner

EFI Live is $3,000.00 ???? Am I looking at the wrong thing on the website.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #34
OnyxY2KSS

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegoat...View Post
EFI Live is $3,000.00 ???? Am I looking at the wrong thing on the website.

$899
Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #35
brigos65
Bad Ass LS2

2006 GTO Owner

There is no point in tuning a stock LS2 or LS1. The benefits from tuning your motor will come when you rebuild the motor with a new stroker kit, cam, head work, and intake, and on and on. Then you will need to tune the ECM and Dyno!! Tuning a stock motor… you will get some small gains, but not enough to feel it under your ass.
I have the Diablo inTune. It makes the LS2 idle fluctuate whenever you re-map the ECM. And the 91 Octane setting… there is really no difference in performance?? It’s great for checking fault codes, and reading parameters when the engine is running, that’s all. Hp Tuners is the way to go!! There is a guy in Florida making a living tuning motors with the Hp Tuner and he is loved by all LS2 Gear Heads!!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #36
jegten
riding the wave!

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to jegten
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRawDogIt...View Post
wait tuning school? I don't know if your serious or not but, if you are, what school is that through? Super interested in that....

sorry man! i just saw this.

also, i noticed your location is now stateside.
either way, they offer training/classes. i will pm you some info.
go-forged ls2 447ci/MastLS7 295 70cc, ported/painted FAST102/NW102, jegten cam/tuned,Manton,Melling,Lunati,Cloyes,Edelbrock,60#, Kooks SS/catless,JBAcb,taylor bluewires,MF5",GForce,OTRCAI,BBKfr,GMM/LSS-oemknob,Brembos/BaerSS lines, GZpump,SLP-skid plate/udp/160t,Revshift,Monster3,IngallsETD,Lovells,Hotchkis , pc'd DSS/blue flange.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #37
Lakegoat

2005 GTO Owner

I don't see any vendor on here advertising EFI live. I looked at the website and clicked on the area that had 2005-06 GTO and $2,999.99 cam up in the price box. I didn't see $899.00. Thats not a LOT different that HPT.
What all do you need besides the tuning program and a good wide band to get started? (yeah, I know, a little knowledge also)
Old 11-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #38
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigos65...View Post
There is no point in tuning a stock LS2 or LS1. The benefits from tuning your motor will come when you rebuild the motor with a new stroker kit, cam, head work, and intake, and on and on. Then you will need to tune the ECM and Dyno!! Tuning a stock motor… you will get some small gains, but not enough to feel it under your ass.
I have the Diablo inTune. It makes the LS2 idle fluctuate whenever you re-map the ECM. And the 91 Octane setting… there is really no difference in performance?? It’s great for checking fault codes, and reading parameters when the engine is running, that’s all. Hp Tuners is the way to go!! There is a guy in Florida making a living tuning motors with the Hp Tuner and he is loved by all LS2 Gear Heads!!

Diablo...really? Don't gauge the potential of a good, software based tuning package applied with actual intelligence and experience, with the results from a shit-box, one-size-fits-all, canned tune. There are countless people who've gotten improved power and efficiency from optimizing their tunes. Evidently, you're not among them.

Blown H/C 408 and other stuff. Billet tires. Plasti Dip tints. Stage 3 keyboard. /////.
2008 HHR SS tweaked
2003 CTS w/ dead hooker in spacious trunk
fquick
Old 11-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #39
dreadpirateroberts
derp

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Diablo...really? Don't gauge the potential of a good, software based tuning package applied with actual intelligence and experience, with the results from a shit-box, one-size-fits-all, canned tune. There are countless people who've gotten improved power and efficiency from optimizing their tunes. Evidently, you're not among them.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:15 AM   #40
DoomDevil
~СЛАВА ГЕРОЯМ~

Lumina SS

Premium Member

Quote:
Hey im in the market for my own tuning software, what is the best software you guys have used for tuning, that is the most user friendly? I have never tuned before and am interested in starting.

Thanks guys.

HPT all the way, bro! Don't waste your time looking here and there!

Quote:

With regards to hand-held tuners, I simply could not agree with you any more! Besides, I've seen fully stock Holdens race against just finely tuned stock Holdens, and the difference is really impressive!

96 Suzuki X-90
03 Lumina SS Coupe (stock "cat-less" & "built trans!")
03 Lumina SS Coupe (393 whp, LS1, bolt-on's and cam)
07 Toyota Aurion (270 hp and a 6-spd AT)
12 VW Tiguan Highline Sport (for driving the wife and my little girls!)
Old 11-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #41
proxses

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegoat...View Post
I don't see any vendor on here advertising EFI live. I looked at the website and clicked on the area that had 2005-06 GTO and $2,999.99 cam up in the price box. I didn't see $899.00. Thats not a LOT different that HPT.
What all do you need besides the tuning program and a good wide band to get started? (yeah, I know, a little knowledge also)

I don't advertise it, but I am an EFI Live dealer.
EFI Live is better with custom OS's, and is getting into direct injection faster than HPT.
I am also a Diablosport CMR, so I can tune Predators, inTunes, and Trinities to the same level as HPTuners.
Although, HPTuners is still my go to, so I use it unless requested otherwise.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #42
slow

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to slow
I prefer to have both a hardware device and a tuning software package to back it up. Currently I have a Livewire TS color touch screen in my GTO for data monitoring, holds up to 10 custom tunes.

There are pros and cons to most tuning software out there, and HP is well liked, but personally and professionially it is hard to use a product that has been in beta for almost 53+ months
Sold: 1998 WS6 M6 #370 Bright Red
Old 11-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #43
SCyjGTO
Unleaded Regular Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

HP finally added the "without PC" scanning. BUUUT it won't do wideband. I'm still gonna get EFI before I get into big mods.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #44
SCyjGTO
Unleaded Regular Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxses...View Post
I don't advertise it, but I am an EFI Live dealer.
EFI Live is better with custom OS's, and is getting into direct injection faster than HPT.
I am also a Diablosport CMR, so I can tune Predators, inTunes, and Trinities to the same level as HPTuners.
Although, HPTuners is still my go to, so I use it unless requested otherwise.

Good to know, I'll be in touch when I'm ready.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #45
ACCLR8N
Chief CAD monkey

2005 GTO Owner

I have EFI Live and friend has HPT Pro. Both of us have turbo LS2 GTOs. I went with EFI for the swapping trans capability as I do a lot swaps and it appeared to be better at that sort of thing.

My friend seem to find more help on the HPT forums. I found a lot of help on the EFI forum targeted to LS1s and had to adapt and translate formulas to the E40 ECM. I did get good help on specific questions. The OP's LS1 04 will make getting help on the EFI forum easier.

HPT has configuration files that bundle your PIDS, histograms, and logging graphs. He found E40 config files. I had to piece these things individually and create my own maps for the E40. Good learning experience though. With an LS1 you will probably find the example maps and graphs more useful that are bundled in the EFI software.

His HPT Pro required a laptop to do scanning and flashing the car's ECM. The EFI unit took some effort to set up, but now it is really easy to do my scanning and flash the car with just the V2 hand unit. With the display it is also my boost and WO2 gauge. The serial connection to my Innovate LC-1 wideband is really sweet. After logging, I pull the SD card out of the V2 hand unit and stab it into my laptop for review.

The HPT custom OS has a Boost Enrichment table. I'm a little jealous of that as EFI doesn't.

I downloaded both demos and found EFI easier to navigate. I like the codes like B0200 is my main VE table. The codes are easier to talk to and search for when getting help on the forums.

If all you were ever going to tune was your GTO without swapping to a 4L80 my opinion is HPT will be cheaper and easier to start with. I'm still hoping my EFI will be the better choice in the long run for me.
Siemens Deka 60lb injectors, DeatschWerks pump return fuel system
McLeod twin disk RST clutch
G-Force anti-wheel hop axle (single)
EFI-Live for tuning and logging

Last edited by ACCLR8N; 11-25-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #46
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCLR8N...View Post
The HPT custom OS has a Boost Enrichment table. I'm a little jealous of that as EFI doesn't.

They used that memory space for the custom O/S MAP/RPM/Fuel table under 105 kPa, which is arguably more useful, since there is no need to mess with PE in that MAP range. Boost enrichment can be accomplished by invoking PE above 105, or simply stretching the boost VE table.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #47
Phil'sC5vette
Premium Member

Premium Member

Quote:
wait tuning school? I don't know if your serious or not but, if you are, what school is that through? Super interested in that....

Ill be up at the tuning school this week helping if anyone is going
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: