Plastidip Crash Course - Page 3 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Appearance/Detailing

Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #61
CoolAid
Dat Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagtoe...View Post
If you post it, you'll get opinions anyway. It's the nature of a forum.

No!

I want a completely free and paid for place to voice my ideas where the thousands of members are FORCED to say something nice or nothing at all! This is the way public schools have taught me the world works and I demand someone else besides me provide this outlet and enforce these feel good rules!

Hhhrrumph!

Sent from an 80,000 pound truck on the Interstate.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #62
GOATCRUISER
Louie Angel

Monaro CV8

Location: If you are ever in the 3-1-2, please, holler at a player.
Premium Member

Ugh.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #63
Doric

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Been to a lot of car shows and looked at a lot of 'matte finish' paint jobs. The vast majority of them looked like hammered ass. It is such a hard finish to pull off - and harder still to take care of. Any and all blemishes will be blatantly obvious.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #64
Midnight
Grafftard

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwalker...View Post
In defense of the OP, he didn't ask for opinions.

Welcome to the innerpipes. This is how things work.
1. Post pictures on the innerpipes.
2. Get opinions whether they're wanted or not.
3. Extreme e-butthurt.
4. ?
5. Profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doric...View Post
Been to a lot of car shows and looked at a lot of 'matte finish' paint jobs. The vast majority of them looked like hammered ass. It is such a hard finish to pull off - and harder still to take care of. Any and all blemishes will be blatantly obvious.

Exactly.

If making this idea look right were possible, chances are we would have an example to point to by now. The fact that the OP used a picture of a Vette as inspiration is noble enough, but said inspiration has a cum-circle on the front-right headlamp. Inspiration failure begets test-run failure; test-run failure begets grumpy-ass original owners wanting to e-crush the OP.

OP, that sucks. Peel it off and fix your hood. Or sell the mothersmurfer so that you don't have to deal with us. You don't want us angry. You wouldn't like us when we're angry.

Winning isn't everything. Watching you lose is.

2005: SAP grilles, M6, Factory 18s - 1 of 114
Mods: 18x8.5 Beyern 5s, DBA Standard Series Slotted and Drilled Rotors/Hawk HP Plus Pads, JHP Gauge Pod, Holden Bluetooth & Door Lock, Afterthoughts Auto stainless steel lettering kit, CAGS delete, Gas-Cap Velcro, BMR Color-Matched Strut Tower Brace
345.72-hp & 351.13-ft/lbs... BONE STOCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagToe...View Post
Go cry lowjo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm...View Post
Sometimes you need to tell a person they suck at the life.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #65
Jay06GTO
SLO GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Jay06GTO
There's a HUGE difference applying plastidip from the can or from a gun. You are going to receive a lot of criticism due to the fact that you rushed a job to get a quick baseline result to give you an idea. If you're comfortable with that, there's no issue.

Although, matte black is definitely a very difficult color to pull off on our cars due to body line's and certain combinations. I chose to plastidip mine, because I had half of my car sanded down and didn't want to fork up 5k at the moment to re-paint the entire car. My car was prepped and worked on for close to 10 days to ensure that I could pull off the "wrap" look instead of the "plastidip" look. Some people hated it, but some people loved it. I had an idea and vision in mind and for the temporary look I wanted, I was able to pull it off. Take a look at my thread and look at a few of the close up photos. You can see from using a gun that there are ZERO streaks on the entire car.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...447&highlight=

2006 Plastidip Matte Black GTO
Full Exhaust/Cam/CCW/Plastidip
635/594 10.27 @ 141
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #66
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman...View Post
I guess 87LC2 is sleeping late today...

Check it out...it works on socks too!

lol

Just 'cause I don't post, doesn't mean I don't care.

meow?
Vararam
Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #67
Afroman
06 Cyclone GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Originally Posted by AlphaEden...View Post
you're quite the manwhore now aren't you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5215@bellsouth.n...View Post
Owing a GTO is like marrying a stripper. You know it's wrong and it's going to end badly, but the sex is so hot you can't help yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians Goat...View Post
No he ain't doing no freaking manwhoring, he has a collar around his neck lately, he rarely shows up anymore on Saturday's and when he does he usually has some HOT babe with him who causes him to constantly drool and walk funny!!!!!!!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #68
markpetersonii
Sergeant Type

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to markpetersonii
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtan...View Post
They prolly just pissed that all these young bloods are coming in here with their $8k 04s and think they hot shit just because they have a GTO finally.

Oh wait...you have an 04

WTF does having an 04 have to do with anything? I have an 04 but, I've also owned a 06 and an 05. The year has nothing to do with the mentality of the new owners of these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #69
slammin86
...brah

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpetersonii...View Post
WTF does having an 04 have to do with anything? I have an 04 but, I've also owned a 06 and an 05. The year has nothing to do with the mentality of the new owners of these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Smart man here. He owned a 05 and a 06 and realized that the LS2 just burned too much oil...so he went back to the trusty dependable LS1 in the 04.

meow.
10.9 @ 132 w/ 1.8 60 HAHALOL

99 Civic SI
Old 11-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #70
Quicklynx

2005 GTO Owner

Makes me want to try every color of plastidip so I can have a rainbow car...

meow.
|_...__...JAPAN_______=====|.|_|..|...|
"'(@)'(@)""'''''''"'''''''l''/(@)(@)*****(@)"
http://i.imgur.com/DZyqB.jpg
Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #71
redtan

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
WTF does having an 04 have to do with anything? I have an 04 but

It was a joke, moreso directed at the guy for being a noob that just finally was able to own a GTO and is now tough guy around here.

Moo
The cylinder heads became deformed because the air filter was so dirty they couldnt handle all the build up of air and oil coming through the air filter and the throttle body so i tried replacing the air tube with a cold air intake and i think the extra power blew out the cylinder heads and they crashed through valley pan into the crank. Then the crank spun hard and threw the pistons up to hard to cause a misfire

Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #72
dantheman
ROW ROW ROW...

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to dantheman Send a message via MSN to dantheman Send a message via Yahoo to dantheman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay06GTO...View Post
There's a HUGE difference applying plastidip from the can or from a gun. You are going to receive a lot of criticism due to the fact that you rushed a job to get a quick baseline result to give you an idea. If you're comfortable with that, there's no issue.

Although, matte black is definitely a very difficult color to pull off on our cars due to body line's and certain combinations. I chose to plastidip mine, because I had half of my car sanded down and didn't want to fork up 5k at the moment to re-paint the entire car. My car was prepped and worked on for close to 10 days to ensure that I could pull off the "wrap" look instead of the "plastidip" look. Some people hated it, but some people loved it. I had an idea and vision in mind and for the temporary look I wanted, I was able to pull it off. Take a look at my thread and look at a few of the close up photos. You can see from using a gun that there are ZERO streaks on the entire car.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...447&highlight=

THIS.

while im not sold on the whole matte black car thing, it definitely looks better when its done properly.

Jay's car looks really well done. you cant even tell its plastidip, looks like paint or a wrap.

one fo the biggest keys to pulling off the matte finish look is you HAVE to have good looking wheels on it. without those it looks like a cheap primer job.
SNL 346, AFR 205s, TSP 233/239, Fast 92/92, SSOTRCAI, SW LT's, Full 3in Catback with Xpipe and magnaflows, Monster LT1S twin disc, RPM level 4 trans, gforce CF 1pc DS, pedders street II, staggered VMR V710 18s.

465/422
Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #73
Johnnyjet

2006 GTO Owner

Id like to see a dark green metallic GTO with Gunmetal stock 18s. Just sayin
Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #74
CaliGTO

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to CaliGTO
OP that looks like doodoo.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #75
Quicklynx

2005 GTO Owner

It's not a bad idea for weekend racers, especially those drift kids, that tear up their car bodies pretty good. There are constant repairs with the body work and plastidip could make the car respectable going in each week.

I'm not too familiar with the stuff but does it peel off the car real easy? Say if someone could tell your car was plastidipped (and didn't like you,) could they easily just rip it all off in a parking lot or something?

How well does the stuff handle high speeds? Does it start to bubble over time? Lifespan?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #76
Quicklynx

2005 GTO Owner

Forgot to mention. If you're going to go with a flat/matte/satin color, I've seen the Satin Orange in person and that color is pretty sexy. I'd prefer that over the black.

Jay's car looks pretty good with the flat black, but I still think his IBM is better. I'm bias to blue though
Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #77
Rauq
is a scrub

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklynx...View Post
It's not a bad idea for weekend racers, especially those drift kids, that tear up their car bodies pretty good. There are constant repairs with the body work and plastidip could make the car respectable going in each week.

I'm not too familiar with the stuff but does it peel off the car real easy? Say if someone could tell your car was plastidipped (and didn't like you,) could they easily just rip it all off in a parking lot or something?

How well does the stuff handle high speeds? Does it start to bubble over time? Lifespan?

It's not going to just flake or peel off. If I wanted to spend 5 minutes per wheel, I could have my wheels looking the exact same as they did before I dipped them. I've gone deep double digits with the wheels dipped and they look just like they did when I dipped them almost a year ago (plus brake dust doesn't show up), no peeling or flaking. A friend of mine had a Canadian EF Si coupe that he wanted to protect while he was trying to get it into sellable condition so we made him a plastidip bra, it was loltastic and held up just fine to the car's speed limit. I think people tend to underestimate how strong the stuff is, it stays on unless you want it to come off or scratch it on a curb or something.

1 of 323 IBM/black/M6/04

Torquer V2 112 | SLP LT | BC Racing Coilovers | Hawk HPS | Whiteline bits | Self-tuned with HP Tuners | LS7 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike...View Post
Taking advice from Ford guys is like....well...taking advice from Ford guys. "Hey, lets add 3 more cams so it will make less power and take up more space."

Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #78
springfield45
06 GTO

2006 GTO Owner

I like the satin black look but I can tell you from experience that it is a pain in the a$$ to take care of. If your going to DD the car I wouldn't recommend it. I took pristine care of my 08 SE ZX1400 and it seemed like every time I came home from a ride there was a new scratch on the bike and the only way to fix it was to repaint the panel. There is no way to buff or rub out any blemishes without making the panel look off from the rest of the car.
Mods: Kooks1 7/8 LT's/cat-less mids, Magnaflow 2.5 cat-back, Hendrex N/A Power Chamber, LS3 Heads, Intake, fuel rails-injectors, FTI LSX StreetSweeper-X in 224/276 ex 230/284, Lunati springs,Hardened Pushrods,Comp cam trunnion upgrade, Rollmaster Billet Signal Roller Timing Set,Melling oil pump, SLP UDP, Mcleod twin disk clutch
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #79
LS2-GTO
1 of 40,757

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Don't see why people get so riled up about it.. It never looks good, especially in person.

2006 GTO - QSM - M6
Old 12-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #80
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Crash course?

Patiently waiting for the crash.

Blown H/C 408 and other stuff. Billet tires. Plasti Dip tints. Stage 3 keyboard. /////.
2008 HHR SS tweaked
2003 CTS w/ dead hooker in spacious trunk
fquick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: