PlastiKote Wheels - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Wheels/Tires

Old 11-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Henicke9

PlastiKote Wheels

Has anyone heard of anyone doing this to their rims? Someone suggested it to me and I have ZERO idea of what they are talking about. I googled and searched the forums and only found this website: http://www.plastikote.com/products/S...eel-Paint.html

Any thoughts or information on it?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Crimsongtp
GTP Turned GTO

2004 GTO Owner

just looks like wheel paint to me

2004 LS1 A4-

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech, Pacesetter LTs, Tuned By Rian

Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, WCS Splitter, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint, Satin Black painted 17's

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low,Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman

Every time I grab a fistful of throttle in my GTO, I suck up an assful of seat leather- Doric
Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
KO6GTO
Banned

Lumina SS

A mix between plastidip and opticoat...
Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
redtan

2006 GTO Owner

Basically a knockoff of plastidip. That can't be the only brand around...
The cylinder heads became deformed because the air filter was so dirty they couldnt handle all the build up of air and oil coming through the air filter and the throttle body so i tried replacing the air tube with a cold air intake and i think the extra power blew out the cylinder heads and they crashed through valley pan into the crank. Then the crank spun hard and threw the pistons up to hard to cause a misfire

Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Henicke9

How well does plastidip perform/look?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Rauq
is a scrub

2004 GTO Owner

Plastidip from a can is like a more refined bedliner. It was originally intended for making plastic handles for your tools, I believe. If you do it right, it comes out as a fairly smooth, flat/matte (not gloss) color, whether it's black, gray, or whatever.

It's cheap- $4 or $5 a can, and I used 1 can per wheel. It's been on for almost a year now and looks about the same as it did when I first put it on. It's also easily removed- I got grass on the 1st coat of the 1st wheel when I dropped it in the grass, so I just let it dry and 15 minutes later it all peeled right off. Despite how easy it is to remove, it's stayed right where I put it for about 10 months now.

1 of 323 IBM/black/M6/04

Torquer V2 112 | SLP LT | BC Racing Coilovers | Hawk HPS | Whiteline bits | Self-tuned with HP Tuners | LS7 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike...View Post
Taking advice from Ford guys is like....well...taking advice from Ford guys. "Hey, lets add 3 more cams so it will make less power and take up more space."

Old 11-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
05GTOMo
The Domino Effect

2005 GTO Owner

WARNING

Prepare to get

I'll hit 10's this year... Just wait on it.

Domino 05 M6 - 1 of 1

Show: 3/5 full SAP - Banshee Hood - VMR V718's - Mav Man Diffuser - JHP Side Markers - Limo Tint - Domino Paint

Go: 416 Stroker - Kooks 1 7/8 - GForce 9" - GForce Coilovers - Monster 3 - Tick MC - GMM Short Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface...View Post
We'll see if the tune changes when you find out she was cupping the balls of her ex while he was drifitng the car into a concrete pole at Red Lobster and then finishing the deed in the backseat of his Kia.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Henicke9

I like that look a LOT, how many coats does it take to get that look. Also does anyone out there have this color on a PBM by any chance?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
KO6GTO
Banned

Lumina SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henicke9...View Post
I like that look a LOT, how many coats does it take to get that look. Also does anyone out there have this color on a PBM by any chance?

However many a can will get you on one wheel
Old 11-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
Henicke9

Which color is it the smoke?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
slammin86
...brah

2004 GTO Owner

You should try it on your brake calipers bra.

meow.
10.9 @ 132 w/ 1.8 60 HAHALOL

99 Civic SI
Old 11-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #12
Ehrgeiz X
Leading cause of missing 3rd

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauq...View Post
Plastidip from a can is like a more refined bedliner. It was originally intended for making plastic handles for your tools, I believe. If you do it right, it comes out as a fairly smooth, flat/matte (not gloss) color, whether it's black, gray, or whatever.

It's cheap- $4 or $5 a can, and I used 1 can per wheel. It's been on for almost a year now and looks about the same as it did when I first put it on. It's also easily removed- I got grass on the 1st coat of the 1st wheel when I dropped it in the grass, so I just let it dry and 15 minutes later it all peeled right off. Despite how easy it is to remove, it's stayed right where I put it for about 10 months now.

That looks pretty good, actually. I've been considering doing the same thing to my stock rims until I get my hands on some better looking rims. Did you just tape off anything you didn't want covered, like the tires? I've got a can of pasti-dip sitting in the dining room right now...

2004 IBM M6 Cavalier SS
Svede. Pacesetter LT's, Spintech R221's. Pedders/Lovells holding up the rear. NT05R's on her feet. Tuned by Chuck Anders
350/360 on a hot day
1 of 478
LSX Reapers' token '04 Goat
Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #13
hardcore
HARDCORE since 1982

2004 GTO Owner

I did my RTS welds... some like some don't...
I don't really care it protects the wheel and comes off whenever I want
10.95@123.46..1.50 60' motor pump gas
FLA's Fastest GTO

The Art of SPRAY...

Tuner of Florida's Fastest GTO's
GForce 1320 test car
33 spline spool-level 2 axles
DSS CF Drive Shaft
Custom FTI Converter

Old 11-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #14
INeedAGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore...View Post
I did my RTS welds... some like some don't...
I don't really care it protects the wheel and comes off whenever I want

Hardcore, What size tires are those on the back? I have the 17" rts's and my tires don't seem fill wheel well as good as yours.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #15
hardcore
HARDCORE since 1982

2004 GTO Owner

i have. 15x8 with 6.5 bs tire is a 295-55-15
Old 11-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #16
Rauq
is a scrub

2004 GTO Owner

I did one can per wheel. Most important thing in the finish is how far away you spray- I kept it at a consistent 12" for best results. Took the wheel off the car and sprayed it over the whole wheel. Don't worry about getting it on the tire, that part will come off easily later.

Smoke is a different color that starts off translucent and gets to be a more solid smoke-gray color as you add more coats. One of my friends did the wheels on his GTI black and then added a coat of gold metalizer, and they came out looking kinda like STi gold wheels. It's some pretty cool stuff.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
Ehrgeiz X

2004 GTO Owner

Rauq, how many coats did you do? I've heard you generally want to use about 4-5 coats for a good, solid finish

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
Henicke9

Quote:
I did one can per wheel. Most important thing in the finish is how far away you spray- I kept it at a consistent 12" for best results. Took the wheel off the car and sprayed it over the whole wheel. Don't worry about getting it on the tire, that part will come off easily later.

Smoke is a different color that starts off translucent and gets to be a more solid smoke-gray color as you add more coats. One of my friends did the wheels on his GTI black and then added a coat of gold metalizer, and they came out looking kinda like STi gold wheels. It's some pretty cool stuff.

One can of smoke per wheel? Or is there a black that you used?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #19
Rauq
is a scrub

2004 GTO Owner

I used black, one can per wheel, it was either 4 or 5 coats per wheel, I don't really recall. But a can a wheel did the job you see in the pictures. No smoke. One can of metalizer took my friend's black wheels to a pretty solid gold. I'm trying to find a picture somewhere.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #20
Rauq
is a scrub

2004 GTO Owner

Before and after black

After gold metalizer (1 can/4 wheels)

Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #21
Henicke9

Is that just painters tape? I guess it can just be temporary. What does it take to take the black off if I don't like it?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #22
Rauq
is a scrub

2004 GTO Owner

Yeah that's just painters tape, although he only had it on the tires because he was adding the gold metalizer. The first time he did his wheels just black, and when I did mine just black, I sprayed right onto the tire. You don't even notice it's there, and that portion just peels itself off.

It took me 5 minutes to peel the stuff off my stock 17, it would probably be faster on a stock 18 with fewer different surfaces. Super easy. You could literally change your wheel color on a weekly basis if you didn't mind spending $20 on the stuff per week and taking the time to spray it on.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #23
Rod Run
Likes tan lines

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:

This is a very clear picture of how a lot of this stuff comes out. People see pics online and think "wow, that looks awesome", but all the stuff i've ever seen in person looks bad

In this picture you can see all kinds of bubbling and a bunch of different surface textures.

If it looks that bad in a small pic online, I can only imagine how much worse it would look in person. Not my car so I really don't care what you do to it, but I just think people should look a little closer before they think this stuff is the best way to "paint" a wheel
Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #24
Henicke9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Run...View Post
This is a very clear picture of how a lot of this stuff comes out. People see pics online and think "wow, that looks awesome", but all the stuff i've ever seen in person looks bad

In this picture you can see all kinds of bubbling and a bunch of different surface textures.

If it looks that bad in a small pic online, I can only imagine how much worse it would look in person. Not my car so I really don't care what you do to it, but I just think people should look a little closer before they think this stuff is the best way to "paint" a wheel

I think you need to have your eyes check kind sir. You are the first person who has said they look terrible in person.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #25
OdenLoki

I used 3X5 index cards to keep the dip off the tires, real quick and easy.
Cleaning the wheel surface really good is the key to getting this stuff to stay on and look right. I did three or four coats on mine. Make sure to allow them to dry between coats.
I think we can all Agree this isnt as nice as aftermarket rims, but its a nice look until you can buy the real thing as long as you take your time and do it correctly. Also be careful putting the lugs back on.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #26
Henicke9

Do yall know where to buy the black lug caps? Or can you just plastikote those too?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #27
slammin86
...brah

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henicke9...View Post
I think you need to have your eyes check kind sir. You are the first person who has said they look terrible in person.

hey meow,

all you have to do is enlarge that pic and you can see it looks like utter crap. there are random circles in it. texture is not the same across the wheel. overall color isn't the same. but hey...crap is the new OMG THATS HOT.

meow.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #28
Rod Run
Likes tan lines

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin86...View Post
hey meow,

all you have to do is enlarge that pic and you can see it looks like utter crap. there are random circles in it. texture is not the same across the wheel. overall color isn't the same. but hey...crap is the new OMG THATS HOT.

meow.

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one that DOESN'T need my eyes checked

Pictures can hide a lot of stuff, so like I said, if it looks that bad in a picture............................
Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #29
Ibm Adrenaline rush
Nothing is free.

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ibm Adrenaline rush
Does anybody have a simple safe solution on removing plasti dip off of the rim? I decided to be a cheap ass and only spray 2 coats on my rims, and now it is very difficult to remove from the rim.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #30
Ehrgeiz X

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibm Adrenaline rush...View Post
Does anybody have a simple safe solution on removing plasti dip off of the rim? I decided to be a cheap ass and only spray 2 coats on my rims, and now it is very difficult to remove from the rim.

Just spray on a few more coats and that should help you out. That, or kill it with cleansing fire.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: