E30 BMW drag suspension setup - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors


Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Suspension/Brakes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
dreadpirateroberts
derp
 
dreadpirateroberts's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NWI
Posts: 14,167


Offline
E30 BMW drag suspension setup

So, i was thinking about the similarities between the E30 BMW and GTO suspension... e30 bmw has a remotely similar suspension setup to our cars - semi trailing arm. differential is bolted to the subframe. seems they have no toe link, however.

http://www.speichers.com/e30_suspension.htm

Then, I thought, somebody somewhere has drag raced an E30. So I did some google-fu.

take a look at this E30 and it's setup, and tell me what you think.

http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread...on(drag-racing)

looks like he did away with the rear subframe entirely. differential bolts to some kind of tubular member that is attached to the framerails, looks like?

control arms are these massive tubular constructs that attach FAR forward, perhaps where 4 link SRA arms would attach. This probably allows for some pretty massive weight transfer, excellent toe/camber control and i doubt he has any wheelhop issues.

plz discuss.
__________________
2005 Torrid Red/Red M6 - 11.7 @ 120mph, nssp cam/fast 102.

2004 Impulse Blue Metallic/Blue M6 - much slower than it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft...View Post
I like my cars how I like my woman. Small, light, low to the ground and pre obd2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft...View Post
GTO is jack of all trades, master of none.

  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
04GTODKH
Registered User
 
04GTODKH's Avatar
 
2004 GTO Owner

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Covington, LA
Posts: 1,018


Offline
Looks interesting. I have heard somewhere that the designer of the GTO/Monaro suspension used to work for BMW. But don't take my word for it. This might explain the simularities
__________________
QSM/Red/M6 Still mostly stock except:

Tune by Hardcore using HP Tune.

05 hood thanks to MiamiGTO

Spintech dual exit exhaust system with the banshee inserts, tips & right side hanger from JBA.

Staggered TSW Vortex rims with 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rear
Just added Svede SS OTRCAI Intake & GMM Street Shifter


  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
dreadpirateroberts
derp
 
dreadpirateroberts's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NWI
Posts: 14,167


Offline
i care more about that e30 drag car setup
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
dreadpirateroberts
derp
 
dreadpirateroberts's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NWI
Posts: 14,167


Offline
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
dreadpirateroberts
derp
 
dreadpirateroberts's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NWI
Posts: 14,167


Offline
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
dreadpirateroberts
derp
 
dreadpirateroberts's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NWI
Posts: 14,167


Offline
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
dreadpirateroberts
derp
 
dreadpirateroberts's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NWI
Posts: 14,167


Offline
looks like he also has some sort of crossmember welded in where the tubular control arms bolt to.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
magnum-gto
8 second club
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Statham,Ga
Posts: 2,255


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvulpes...View Post
looks like he also has some sort of crossmember welded in where the tubular control arms bolt to.

Yes, that crossmember is effectively the same as the GTO cradle.
Probably a few pounds lighter, and performs the same function.

I'm not familiar with this suspension....it is difficult to see a clear advantage
over the existing GTO suspension though.

edit: I do see one...let's play find Waldo. Who can identify the capability this
suspension has that is missing from the GTO.
__________________
A big thanks to Ron, Mike and Jey @ Vengeance Racing
Thomas @ Non-Sponsor Engineering 980-521-0722
Greg @ FTI 386-736-5816
Frank@Driveshaft Shop 704-633-2380
gto.jpg
Brian/Jason@ Kauffman Tire

Last edited by magnum-gto; 11-28-2012 at 10:26 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
05raptorle
Registered User
 
05raptorle's Avatar
 
2004 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jamestown, ND
Posts: 288


Offline
mounting points on the same centerline? just a guess.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
dreadpirateroberts
derp
 
dreadpirateroberts's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NWI
Posts: 14,167


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum-gto...View Post
I'm not familiar with this suspension....it is difficult to see a clear advantage over the existing GTO suspension though.

I would think this suspension would maintain a totally constistant wheel geometry throughout the suspension travel from this design.

I would also think a significantly longer control arm mounted farther up the body of the car would not only help with wheel hop but also far more importantly weight transfer during launch. I think you would get a much better "tire hit" with a longer control arm.



i also want to be sure you we are both talking about that rectangular bar that sits farther up the car and sits under the driveshaft when we're talking about the "crossmember", not the tubular frame that's bolted to the differential...

Last edited by dreadpirateroberts; 11-29-2012 at 01:02 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #11
dreadpirateroberts
derp
 
dreadpirateroberts's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NWI
Posts: 14,167


Offline
Then again a longer arm may only really be of benefit when used with an SRA...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #12
MuhThugga
Poppycock
 
MuhThugga's Avatar
 
2004 GTO Owner

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hockessin, DE
Posts: 9,460


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum-gto...View Post
edit: I do see one...let's play find Waldo. Who can identify the capability this
suspension has that is missing from the GTO.

I see complete adjustability of the control arm locations.
__________________

PROJECT SILVERBACK IS COMPLETE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDCGTO...View Post
Squeezing another 50 rwhp out of one of those setups would be like trying to squeeze the sarcasm out of MuhThugga. . . . . . . . not gonna happen

  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
smitty2919
Registered User
 
2004 GTO Owner

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,774


Offline
I've wondered why we insert bushings into the rear diff bracket and not make a solid mounting bracket. Bolt it to the diff, then bolt it to the frame.

I guess for NVH reasons, but people go to solid motor/trans mounts and say there isn't a lot of added NVH.
__________________
1995 Camaro Z28-current
2004 QSM M6-sold
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
magnum-gto
8 second club
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Statham,Ga
Posts: 2,255


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05raptorle...View Post
mounting points on the same centerline? just a guess.

Probably, but we have no way to prove it.
There is something else.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #15
magnum-gto
8 second club
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Statham,Ga
Posts: 2,255


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvulpes...View Post
I would think this suspension would maintain a totally constistant wheel geometry throughout the suspension travel from this design.

I would also think a significantly longer control arm mounted farther up the body of the car would not only help with wheel hop but also far more importantly weight transfer during launch. I think you would get a much better "tire hit" with a longer control arm.



i also want to be sure you we are both talking about that rectangular bar that sits farther up the car and sits under the driveshaft when we're talking about the "crossmember", not the tubular frame that's bolted to the differential...

We are speaking of the same item. The cross member we are referring to
holds the trailing arm bushing mounts.

Last edited by magnum-gto; 11-29-2012 at 08:17 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #16
magnum-gto
8 second club
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Statham,Ga
Posts: 2,255


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga...View Post
I see complete adjustability of the control arm locations.

Correct!
That little feature affects the car's launch significantly.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
magnum-gto
8 second club
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Statham,Ga
Posts: 2,255


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919...View Post
I've wondered why we insert bushings into the rear diff bracket and not make a solid mounting bracket. Bolt it to the diff, then bolt it to the frame.

I guess for NVH reasons, but people go to solid motor/trans mounts and say there isn't a lot of added NVH.

Our 8.8 mount is solid......but then being deaf can have some advantages.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
magnum-gto
8 second club
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Statham,Ga
Posts: 2,255


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvulpes...View Post
Then again a longer arm may only really be of benefit when used with an SRA...

Arm length is much more critical in SRA applications, and have a totally
different function.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
dreadpirateroberts
derp
 
dreadpirateroberts's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NWI
Posts: 14,167


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum-gto...View Post
Arm length is much more critical in SRA applications, and have a totally
different function.

I was thinking that might have been the case after all. Ladder bar or links in an SRA would transfer torque from the axle assm. to the chassis, helping to transfer weight. I assumed from the e30's wheel stand something similar was the case, but once thought about it, i couldnt see how the forces applied could make it do that, since these control arms are not linked to the diff or axles in any way.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
dreadpirateroberts
derp
 
dreadpirateroberts's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NWI
Posts: 14,167


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum-gto...View Post
That little feature affects the car's launch significantly.

Plz splain more lucy
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #21
magnum-gto
8 second club
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Statham,Ga
Posts: 2,255


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvulpes...View Post
I was thinking that might have been the case after all. Ladder bar or links in an SRA would transfer torque from the axle assm. to the chassis, helping to transfer weight. I assumed from the e30's wheel stand something similar was the case, but once thought about it, i couldnt see how the forces applied could make it do that, since these control arms are not linked to the diff or axles in any way.

You are correct on all points.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:04 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2003-2008, LS1GTO.com
Site Banner Design 2005-2007, Cylosoft

LS1GTO.com is not affiliated with General Motors Corp.