Non-Sponsor Wheels Installed and a question - Page 2 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Wheels/Tires

Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #31
Geoff17

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Sponsor-Engineering...View Post
Just incase you and others dont understand.All 275s arnt equal.If the op was running the smaller 275/30/19s you are refering to he wouldnt need to do anything.The 275/30/19 is smaller in every way,diameter is less which is a big deal ,section width is alot narrower which is also a big big help and the tread width is smaller.You cant put 6 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket no matter where you place it.Tis has nothing to do with offset it has to do with making room for the tire chosen

+1
My daily driven stock wheel has a 275 40 17 on it and they fit effortlessly and I also feel as though I could fit like a 295 on there. But a 275 street tire and a 275 MT DR are vastly different in the actual width of them.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #32
Ret NYCPD
2/23/2007 = 11.058@126.22

2004 GTO Owner

Thomas
Same exact 15x10 as the OP....
Will using the following Hoosier avoid all aspects of what the OP is undertaking to fit his MT ET Street 275x50?

Hoosier.. Quick Time Pro DOT #17500
27x10.50
Tread Width=9.0
Section Width=10.1
Diameter=27.0
Circumference=85.0
Rec Rim & Test Size=8-10...8

Correct to assume this #17500 is a DR, and not Bias-Ply?
Any other optional DR/Slick choices?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #33
EDISKRAD EHT
Back to Blown

2005 GTO Owner

^^^

That's wider than the tire Thomas recommends.

(Previous) Maggie setup = 551RWHP/536RWTQ
(Current) Procharger F1A / 385 LS2 : 696RWHP/641RWTQ, MOAR timing + MOAR boost = ???
Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #34
Ret NYCPD
2/23/2007 = 11.058@126.22

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDISKRAD EHT...View Post
^^^

That's wider than the tire Thomas recommends.

Let me ask it this way.... with the same exact 15x10 as the OP

What is the recommended tire, and/or what other tire will fit based on the following:
in place..... 5/16 raised springs/shock extenders/drag bags
without..... using BFH/notching Control Arm/eliminating dust cover/cutting or bending fender lip.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #35
EDISKRAD EHT
Back to Blown

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret NYCPD...View Post

What is the recommended tire, and/or what other tire will fit based on the following:
without..... using BFH/notching Control Arm/eliminating dust cover/cutting or bending fender lip.

The ones Thomas recommends. Lol
Old 11-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #36
Non-Sponsor-Engineering
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret NYCPD...View Post

I knew you would chime in lol.Its real simple,this is no magic rim,it will not give you any more room than what your wheel well has,you canot put a wider tire than what the wheel well will hold. We only recommend a 9x26 hoosier slick,the same one recommended to you,anything other than that is up to you to find .Since these wheels are not recomended for street duty i have no reason to find a dot tire that fits,we have been 9.60s on the 9x26 hoosier so thats what we recomend
Old 11-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #37
EDISKRAD EHT
Back to Blown

2005 GTO Owner

FWIW, I had zero traction issues with the 26x9 Hoosier. I didn't even get 10 passes on them before I went with bigger brakes, but 6-7 of those runs were 1.6 second 60's and there was a LOT left on the table still.

If I didn't put these stupid brakes on, that setup would have easily had me in the 10's with the new setup.

Edit:

This is how low my car sits,

So with them being tucked at rest, just imagine how much they're stuffed in on 1.6 second 60's, and they did not rub at all.

Last edited by EDISKRAD EHT; 11-23-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #38
Geoff17

2005 GTO Owner

Well I feel really retarded now, came home from work today and pulled the stocker wheels off with my daily tires on them and started pounding in the fenders a bit more and then put the 15x10's back on and drove it (no air in drag bags) still had some rubbing noises. Pulled back in the garage and manangled my way under the car without jacking it up to see what my clearances looked like (mind you only one side made rubbing noise) well the side the noise was coming from had MORE clearance than the other side, I was puzzled. Since I had spent all my time worrying about the front part of the wheel well since thats where the metal gets narrower I never looked at the back until today when it was not jacked up and all the noise I was hearing was from the plastic piece of the fender liner?? not sure thats what its called but just took some scissors and trimmed it nice and neatly and voila, everything is perfect, no noises even on heavy cornering and all. So I most likely banged in those fenders all that way for nothing. Oh well nothing some paint and undercoating can't fix, either way awesome set of wheels and I'm loving them.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #39
EDISKRAD EHT
Back to Blown

2005 GTO Owner

*thumbs up*
Old 11-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #40
Non-Sponsor-Engineering
Banned

thanks for the write up,now we know you can get that size tire under the car with lil to know work.....Awesome now lets hear some kill stories!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #41
Geoff17

2005 GTO Owner

Well again last night I ran that same TT camaro stalled auto after he added exhaust and put i lil more boost in it and I beat it again.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #42
lowpro192000

2006 GTO Owner

I have the exact same wheels and tires and had the same problem, I actually tore a tire up in the process but that's neither here or there. Anyways before I put them on I cut my inner fenders so that wasn't a issue. I put 25 psi in my drag bags and got 1/4 inch spacers and stopped all the rubbing and no more problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: