New to this..m6 questions - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Drivetrain

Old 12-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Andyfnjones

New to this..m6 questions

i have a bone stock 2005 m6 no mods.. no tunes nothing.. it seems after driving a while the car shakes when u try to take off from a stop...im not a noob at driving a stick either.. and also at WOT its like the car is hard getting into gears.. could this be fixed with a tune or what...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
BigRedWitch

2006 GTO Owner

Welcome to the crowd.Sounds like your clutch may about worn out..You know these things do have 400 hp without mods.................

Kooks 1 7/8 LTs-Partiot gold springs-Comp blower cam-Spec3+ clutch-Maggie TVS 1900-ECS 8 rib pulleys with 3.1 snout & 8 inch crank-Pac Alkey control system running 100% meth-K&N CAI-catless mids-MagnaFlow 3 inch cat back with x pipe-275/35/18 back-235/40/18 front-raptor shift led light-Autometer electric FP and Boost gauge and a lot more useless stuff.Some not so useless.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Konnie the Goat
Will Moderhate for Money.

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

cant tune a manual.

Sounds to me like you have a mechanical issue with the clutch or an internal trans issue.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Goated 05

Mine just started shaking about a month ago. Curious as to what it could be. I am a noob to manuals...

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Andyfnjones

the clutch feels really stiff thoe is why i ask
Old 12-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Goated 05

I'm with BigRedWitch. I think the clutch is wearing out. But that is my opinion. I've only been driving a manual for 6 months so I don't really know much about them other than from what I've read.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
06 Blue Devil
Dragon Slayer

2006 GTO Owner

The clutch is chattering and the only way to fix it is to replace the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. As for the OP's hard shifting, change the trans fluid and flush the clutch hydrolic system. Thes two things will make a big difference in the way it shifts.
06 Impulse Blue, Blue, 6Sp, 18" JHP gauges, SAP grilles, SAP Ft. Bumper, SAP Rockers, Kooks SS headers, O/R mids, Corsa Sport Exhaust, DSS driveshaft, DSS stubs and halfshafts, pedders track II, hotchkis swaybars,gentex mirror, Dominant Motorsports CAI, Jamesbiz catch can, DBA cross drilled and slotted rotors, Tuned by Blue Devil Motorsports. 2nd GTO with the GTO rear insert letters light up, 1st in blue, Bohnman LED conversation in Blue, Bohnman step plates in blue
Old 12-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Gatorfan

2006 GTO Owner

My car is my first stick but I have driven b4, just not daily, I notice a lot of noise at about 60-65 when I let off the gas. Why is that?

Also how much does it cost to replace a clutch, with some close to stock? My car has a short throw but how do I find out what kind, my gears and gate is super tight and stiff.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
theredgoat

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan...View Post
My car is my first stick but I have driven b4, just not daily, I notice a lot of noise at about 60-65 when I let off the gas. Why is that?

Also how much does it cost to replace a clutch, with some close to stock? My car has a short throw but how do I find out what kind, my gears and gate is super tight and stiff.

Check out our sponsors on the left side of the page and you can see what the prices are for clutches. I know Maryland speed has some good deals sometimes. Is the noise coming from the rear end or the tranny?
Lovells bushings
MGW-P
Vararam
JBA L/Ts with catted mids
SLP LM1 cat back with x pipe
Tuned by Josh @ Spartan performance
Driven everyday
Old 12-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Rob GTO

2006 GTO Owner

I bet the previous owner beat on the car or didn't take care of it. There's a good chance you have little to no clutch fluid, or it is very dirty.

06 Pontiac GTO 6spd
08 Honda CBR600RR

www.chicagoholdenconnection.com
www.chicagonissanclub.net
Old 12-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyfnjones...View Post
i have a bone stock 2005 m6 no mods.. no tunes nothing.. it seems after driving a while the car shakes when u try to take off from a stop...im not a noob at driving a stick either.. and also at WOT its like the car is hard getting into gears.. could this be fixed with a tune or what...

Are you spinning the tires when you are feeling this? If so then it is wheel hop.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
GTOzilla
100K club

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyfnjones...View Post

Have a look at the Master Clutch Cylinder reservoir and tell us how the fluid looks.
That would help to sort out a few things.

This one is sneaky and often overlooked:
Is your floor matt still secured by the knock down screw ?
If not it will slide up and messup your clutch engangement ( It limits the pedal travel ).

Here are some observations I made over they years on mine:

The hard pedal ( Significant more clutch effort ) is something I have seen on long trips 200 miles + without shifting.
Short term fix: While standing still (Shifter in neutral) excercise the pedal like 20 - 30 times.
Long term : Change the clutch fluid to get rid of the trapped dirt.

One of the issues is that the fluid gets contaminated with clutch dust and needs to be changed out frequently, there are several threads on remedies from sucking the fluid out of the reservoir and replacing it to adding a line to the bleed valve port on the slave to facilitate remote bleeding.

Is the clutch fully engaged when the vehicle shakes ? or does it happen during the normal gradual release of the clutch ?

On my 04 the clutch (But not the vehicle) sometimes chatters ( More like grabbing ) when it is cold and humid = alas I got 92000 on clutch #1. But it still grabs brutally when shifting through gears.
I daily drive on the Hyw, so the hardware last longer.

On mine gear changes and shifter feel are actually smoothest at higher RPM's.

Last edited by GTOzilla; 12-02-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
O & V GTO

Mine was making a loud clicking sound in the tranny area during long periods of travel. I did some looking around on the site and figured out how to change the tranny & clutch fluids, simple really. Jack her up and change the fluids before you do anything, they may just be low or really dirty. Mine is running like new at 100k+.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
Andyfnjones

Figured out my master cylinder is bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: