The Ultimate CTS-v Brake Thread - Page 4 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Suspension/Steering/Brakes

Old 12-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #91
Oh4GTO
dum dum dum dum dudum

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oh4GTO
The current pad that I am running has a very progressive bite to it. It starts off pretty weak and gets stronger progressively, rather than uniformly as I have felt in the past with the StopTechs. The nice thing with that is that they are not touchy. Also it allows the brake pedal to sink in deeper and align with the gas pedal under heavy breaking for relatively easy heel/toeing. However the pas is strictly for street so I doubt it would last on high speed tracks. I think you may have to find a less aggressive pad to get what you want since everything else is a constant and not much you can do about it.

LS3 longblock, LS9 cam, LS9 headgaskets, NW 90mm, APS 5psi = 610 RWHP / 578 RWTQ
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #92
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Send a message via AIM to miker Send a message via MSN to miker Send a message via Yahoo to miker
2 days to first Time Trial.
- 18x9 APEX EC7 / 265 RE-11, V2 Brembos, Coilovers, Bushings, Fastrack, Swaybars, ARP Studs, 15lbs Braille, Dual 3" Stainless Catback
- T56, GMM Race, Quicktime Bell, LNC-003, Anti-Hop Axles, 3.5" Alum DS, TrueTrac, 3.73s, Harrop Cover, Sparco Evo2s
- Ron Davis, Derale PS Cooler, JBiz CatchCan, AeroForce, Bel RX65
Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #93
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Send a message via AIM to miker Send a message via MSN to miker Send a message via Yahoo to miker
BMW rotor retaining bolts; $1.29 each from my local dealer.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #94
MTung

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc...View Post
Based on what you're describing and the modifications made (Larger rotor >greater torque arm leverage = less pedal effort. larger caliper >increased piston area, greater clamping force = less pedal effort) it sounds like a larger master is in order.

A bigger master cylinder would create less pressure, and therefore require higher pedal effort making the system easier to modulate… of course I have no clue what the ABS system would make of all those changes. This is why BBK manufactures keep piston surface area near stock or reduce it in the case of adding larger rotors; that keeps pedal effort, travel and balance near stock levels without the need to monkey around with master cylinders…

But the band aid solution is as you suggested, less aggressive pads; though that doesn’t cure pedal feel or travel.

yup^ Miker is the pedal effort too low?

Also, how's the brake balance? How are the rears doing when you lock the fronts?

Last edited by MTung; 12-06-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #95
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTung...View Post
yup^ Miker is the pedal effort too low?

Also, how's the brake balance? How are the rears doing when you lock the fronts?

Pedal effort might be to low.

Rear don't lock up. Bias is definitely front heavy.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #96
HunterKiller89
Ecotec tech

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to HunterKiller89
^^ rears should never lock up by design
Old 12-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #97
Fourman
not as cool as fiveman

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fourman
Ive had my rears induce ABS on a really hard braking event with warm ET streets out back on a couple occasions. Thought that was weird at the time, but maybe a combo of no tow/tank brace and a low tank of fuel?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #98
MTung

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterKiller89...View Post
^^ rears should never lock up by design

Maybe. I think if they tuned the system correctly from the factory the rears should go into slip. Otherwise you're giving up stopping distance since you're not utilizing the rears.

Miker, def keep us updated on what you do. I'd be interested in doing this once you figure out all the quirks. If you're looking at different master cylinders, maybe try to find out the brake distribution and knee point. Otherwise are you going to upgrade the rear calipers too?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #99
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

So 30minutes into the event my rear pads were metal on metal. They were almost new, and I never used to wear rear pads. It has to be a bias or ABS issue but these calipers do not play well with the OEM rear.

Fronts only had slight fade after epic abuse, 130 down to 80; then 120 down to 30 like 15 seconds later; doing around a 1min lap. It was the east course at CMP.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #100
Quiksilver
Grumpy Bastage

2004 GTO Owner

That would suggest a rear bias. Which doing the Brembo front should make it more front bias I'd think. Possible that you're just using the fronts so much harder that the rears are starting to show weakness?

Just throwing ideas out. I'm way too drunk to think about this shit... :lolz:
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #101
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilver...View Post
That would suggest a rear bias. Which doing the Brembo front should make it more front bias I'd think. Possible that you're just using the fronts so much harder that the rears are starting to show weakness?

Just throwing ideas out. I'm way too drunk to think about this shit... :lolz:

My thinking is maybe less piston area in the front is putting more bias to the rear? I was also abusing the brakes way harder then I used to. The fronts bite so much hard it feels like it is a front bias but more pressure is going to the rear.

Last edited by miker; 12-08-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #102
choicesmade24

2004 GTO Owner

I converted to rear CTSV brakes about 2 or 3 months ago to match my fronts. I have yet to put them through the same testing you have but I am damn interested now to know what the wear will be like.
04 GTO A4 - Magnaflow dual exit catback, Longtubes 06 Taillights, CTS-V Brembo Big Brakes Front and rear, 06 Hood. Torqstorm Supercharger on E85 walbro 450 (484hp/463tq) Lunati 60513 Cam LS6 heads (upgraded trunions and Lunati dual springs), Pedders Track II with Xa's, Harrop diff cover. Custom tuned by Dynosport, Lincoln, NE
70 GTO - Auto 400 CA Car
Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #103
HunterKiller89
Ecotec tech

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTung...View Post
Maybe. I think if they tuned the system correctly from the factory the rears should go into slip. Otherwise you're giving up stopping distance since you're not utilizing the rears.

Miker, def keep us updated on what you do. I'd be interested in doing this once you figure out all the quirks. If you're looking at different master cylinders, maybe try to find out the brake distribution and knee point. Otherwise are you going to upgrade the rear calipers too?

Find the braking effort required to lock the front tires, then try to make the bias to rear so that the rear tires lock /w 10% more pedal application than the fronts. Maximizes control and still has all 4 tires working at either 100% or 90% stopping capacity. You need to factor in the added rear brake force from engine braking too though, or the rears will lock before the fronts at higher RPMs under no throttle, causing a lot of fish tailing.

The rears being gone likely has to do with the fact that you just upped the rear braking force a lot in comparison to the fronts. They're doing a lot of the work that the front brakes used to do, killing their lifespan

Last edited by HunterKiller89; 12-08-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #104
Havoc
Don't drink the Kool-Aid...

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker...View Post
So 30minutes into the event my rear pads were metal on metal. They were almost new, and I never used to wear rear pads. It has to be a bias or ABS issue but these calipers do not play well with the OEM rear.

Fronts only had slight fade after epic abuse, 130 down to 80; then 120 down to 30 like 15 seconds later; doing around a 1min lap. It was the east course at CMP.

Two questions? 1) Are you saying you did this same event with the old brake setup and never experienced this sort of rear wear?

2) Did the ABS engage often with the new setup?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #105
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Two questions? 1) Are you saying you did this same event with the old brake setup and never experienced this sort of rear wear?

2) Did the ABS engage often with the new setup?

I was running the identical rear setup I used to run when I had the stock 05-06 fronts; I used to see next to no wear on the rear pads.

ABS was engaging the same as it used to.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #106
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Sorry the audio sucks.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #107
choicesmade24

2004 GTO Owner

Miker if you have the ability to get some brackets made, are willing to run a longer wheel stud and use a 3mm spacer I can help you out with a ctsv rear setup if you choose to go that route. I have have to admit it would be nice to see them tested hard. PM me if interested.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #108
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by choicesmade24...View Post
Miker if you have the ability to get some brackets made, are willing to run a longer wheel stud and use a 3mm spacer I can help you out with a ctsv rear setup if you choose to go that route. I have have to admit it would be nice to see them tested hard. PM me if interested.

I already run ARP studs, the spacer doesn't both me except I don't have 3mm of spare room to move the tire out as low as I am.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #109
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #110
Havoc

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
My thinking is maybe less piston area in the front is putting more bias to the rear? I was also abusing the brakes way harder then I used to. The fronts bite so much hard it feels like it is a front bias but more pressure is going to the rear.

Where did you get the idea there's now less piston area in the front? You have more area AND larger rotors to boot. Both of which add up to more front bias.

Quote:
I was running the identical rear setup I used to run when I had the stock 05-06 fronts; I used to see next to no wear on the rear pads.

ABS was engaging the same as it used to.

Well you already said, “20% pedal gets ABS to engage; I pulled the ABS fuse and any time I got into the brakes at all they locked up.”
So the ABS can’t be engaging exactly as it did with the 05/06 brakes.

Assuming the rest of the system is functioning properly, my guess is this: The greater initial bite you feel is just fool’s gold and doesn't necessarily equate to better overall braking. The problem with using the wrong caliper/rotor combo is an overactive ABS system, and when it’s activated the braking is no longer as effective as it was prior to activation. So despite the greater initial bite the overall front braking effectiveness (once the ABS kicks in) is likely less than the old 05/06 brakes, hence the rear brakes are now being overworked.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #111
Kingsize
Tech Mod

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Where did you get the idea there's now less piston area in the front? You have more area AND larger rotors to boot. Both of which add up to more front bias.

Well you already said, ď20% pedal gets ABS to engage; I pulled the ABS fuse and any time I got into the brakes at all they locked up.Ē
So the ABS canít be engaging exactly as it did with the 05/06 brakes.

Assuming the rest of the system is functioning properly, my guess is this: The greater initial bite you feel is just foolís gold and doesn't necessarily equate to better overall braking. The problem with using the wrong caliper/rotor combo is an overactive ABS system, and when itís activated the braking is no longer as effective as it was prior to activation. So despite the greater initial bite the overall front braking effectiveness (once the ABS kicks in) is likely less than the old 05/06 brakes, hence the rear brakes are now being overworked.

Correct, more front piston area will behave exactly like Miker is describing. The greater piston area in front is causing the pistons in the rear too way overwork. The only way to combat this is to increase piston area in the rear, or decrease it up front. This is why I have refused to run the CTS-V setup unless both front and rear calipers are being utilized, or a proportioning valve is installed on the rear line. This will help balance the system, and is really the only way to do this "kinda right". The area increase is going to make the pedal ever more touchy however.

2006 GTO: 500rwhp Stock bottom end LS2 with Bolt on's
Idle Clip>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2rKmw2DDZY
500rwhp Dyno Pull>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z21MepuHe2g

2004 RCSB Silvy, Arrival Blue Metallic, 2/4 drop

2000 Formula: 615rwhp N/A, TH400, 9" Rear
615rwhp Dyno Pull>>> 615rwhp dyno pull N/A
9.87 Motor Pass>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWYRSYr3nys

www.fquick.com/Kingsize
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #112
bohnman
Horse Power = $$$
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to bohnman
05 MBM M6, Kooks 1 7/8" w/cats, Bassani Cat Back, SLP UDP, Drag bags, Ported TB, GMM Street, Lovels 0 drop, HE Twin clutch, Rear re-built by 2qwk, Tuned by AMS Performance, CCW 505A 19", 8" J&L subs, The 1st GTO with "GTO" lit rear bumper insert, AUX input. Interior LED Red/Blue (Done by me), LS3 Heads/Intake custom Cam From Bret Bauer

446/395 Mustang Dyno

11 F-150 With Ecoboost
01 HD FLSTFI

<a href=http://www.bohnmancustoms.com target=_blank>http://www.bohnmancustoms.com</a>
LCD screen Options

http://www.bohnmancustoms.com
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #113
Oh4GTO
dum dum dum dum dudum

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oh4GTO
Like I said before, my brakes act nothing like Mikers. It would be nice if others with the Brembos would chime in. I can't imagine pads alone making such a huge difference.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #114
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Quote:

Well you already said, ď20% pedal gets ABS to engage; I pulled the ABS fuse and any time I got into the brakes at all they locked up.Ē
So the ABS canít be engaging exactly as it did with the 05/06 brakes.

That was due to a rotor with .07 runout. Abs started calming down with a true rotor.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #115
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Going from a 2 piston floating caliper to 4 piston non-floating you only count the pistons on one side.

Going into turn 8 I was going 10mph faster then I was on the stock motor/brakes yet braking 100ft later. I could have went in deeper but I'm not a fan of finding the limit on a road course.

Ill be putting the rear CTS-v brakes on as soon as possible.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #116
HunterKiller89
Ecotec tech

2004 GTO Owner

^^ ??
I can't see how that makes sense
Old 12-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #117
ddawson
Purple Administrator

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I can, remember everything is a balance.

Stock the rears barely do anything. Now they do too much but that was better then before.

That's whats cool about miker doing the testing.

Dialing it in and fine tuning is what it's all about now. The old fox body guys made the same mistake over and over replacing the stock calipers with 73MM SVO units.

The rear drums would then do too much of the braking causing longer stopping distance.
2011 Mazda 2 Touring
2014 Subaru Outback Limited
Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #118
HunterKiller89
Ecotec tech

2004 GTO Owner

i meant the fixed vs floating part. I don't see how that makes sense? Even if one side is fixed, the pressure from the pistons will still be equal on both sides, but the displacement is not. While the displacement only happens on one side, wouldn't it be displaced by 2x the distance for the save given pedal effort/fluid displacement? effectively evening out?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #119
Havoc

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Going from a 2 piston floating caliper to 4 piston non-floating you only count the pistons on one side.

Going into turn 8 I was going 10mph faster then I was on the stock motor/brakes yet braking 100ft later. I could have went in deeper but I'm not a fan of finding the limit on a road course.

Ill be putting the rear CTS-v brakes on as soon as possible.

That's not true, but even if it were the CTS-V @40/44 would still have more piston surface area than the stockers @ 40/40mm.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #120
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Quote:
That's not true, but even if it were the CTS-V @40/44 would still have more piston surface area than the stockers @ 40/40mm.

A floating caliper with two 40mm pistons, vs non-floating with four 40mm pistons will have the same clamping force at a given pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: