Dynamat Anyone? - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 12-11-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
jasen
Insert Witty Title Here

Monaro CV8

Dynamat Anyone?

I've got my interior gutted at the moment to fix some of the dreaded back seat stitch seperation as well as condition the shit out of everything that is harder to do while it's actually in the car. Meanwhile, I'm contemplating going a rear seat delete and figuring out other things I can do while I have it all gutted. One thing that hit me this morning was to Dynamat it all while I've got all of the seats out. Anyone else done this? If so, does it make that much of a difference in these particular cars?

2010 Honda Civic GX - CNG DD. Got tints yo!

2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged 5.0

Call Late. Call Often:
John Paul Bishop
11222 Kinsale Ct
Ellicott City, MD 21042-6132

(410) 997-0186
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #2
redtan

2006 GTO Owner

I've dynamated the entire back seat area that was exposed (when I took out the seats to fix the stitching). It helped with the rattle a little bit, not so much the noise. I actually just got some RAAMAT IUO which is supposed to help with the noise vs. Dynamat which is for rattles.

If I were to do it again, I would definitely do both at the same time for the full effect. I would also not bother with the expensive Dynamat brand and go with a cheaper product as they are really all the same. And the foam is what really blocks sound, not the Dynamet.
The cylinder heads became deformed because the air filter was so dirty they couldnt handle all the build up of air and oil coming through the air filter and the throttle body so i tried replacing the air tube with a cold air intake and i think the extra power blew out the cylinder heads and they crashed through valley pan into the crank. Then the crank spun hard and threw the pistons up to hard to cause a misfire

Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #3
jasen
Insert Witty Title Here

Monaro CV8

Good point. I wasn't going the full "Dynamat" brand route. Just you mention another brand and peole generally give the "Huh?" look to you, but all acheive around the same result.

Thanks for the heads up on the foam. That had slipped my mind. I literally just thought about this idea on the drive in this morning so there's a few other things to be worked out. I don't have any rattles, I've been very fortunate to not have any yet. Whenever I do get a rattle, so far, it's just been a coin or something I've tossed in the cup holders.

I used to Dynamat the shit out of everything when I was competing in the car audio cirquit so I "think" I might still be able to get some deals if I decide to go with that particular brand. But yeah, you're exactly right on getting a different, less expensive brand to get the same results.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
TObey
Where's my elephant?

2005 GTO Owner

Pull the side panels and do the fenderwells and stuff also. Lots of bare metal under there. It didn't make my car Mercedes quiet, but it definitely helped.
www.nismorons.com
Old 12-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
jasen
Insert Witty Title Here

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObey...View Post
Pull the side panels and do the fenderwells and stuff also. Lots of bare metal under there. It didn't make my car Mercedes quiet, but it definitely helped.

Also contemplating pulling the carpet as well. Depends on how saucy I'm feeling when I actually decide to do the work.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #6
NormGTO
2004 GTO

I haven't searched but do wear earplugs on couple of hour long highway trips as my ears ring afterwards. The noise would bother me back in 2005 when I had a new 05 GTO then so my hearing has declined drastically.

The Solstice/Sky group have a vendor that put together 3 types of sound deadening because some of the exhaust system they run that are only ending 6ft from their ear. Has someone done similar here?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #7
Steel Chicken
L33T IT Direktor, Excel PhD

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

The seat delete is good for race only, but not so much for the street. Interior noise goes up a lot and you dont save much weight with the back seats out. I took my delete kit out and its collecting dust.

Quote:
Justice is swift and unfair in the eyes of those who don't know shit. - tmiller

Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
zech912
Wol Gemut

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

dynamat on rear seats, dynamat and dynapad (great product) on floor. agree with removing panels and getting the wheel wells from there. i was really frustrated because it was still noisier than i liked (very noise sensitive) then i got the inner lower portion of front door. amazing how much tire and road was coming through there. i had no rattles, just 'noise'. now very very quiet. amazon has almost unbelievable deals on dynamat.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #9
jasen
Insert Witty Title Here

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Chicken...View Post
The seat delete is good for race only, but not so much for the street. Interior noise goes up a lot and you dont save much weight with the back seats out. I took my delete kit out and its collecting dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech912...View Post
dynamat on rear seats, dynamat and dynapad (great product) on floor. agree with removing panels and getting the wheel wells from there. i was really frustrated because it was still noisier than i liked (very noise sensitive) then i got the inner lower portion of front door. amazing how much tire and road was coming through there. i had no rattles, just 'noise'. now very very quiet. amazon has almost unbelievable deals on dynamat.

Thanks for the heads up on both of these.

Really, the seat delete is more of a looks thing for me. I'm still unsure as to whether or not I want to spend the couple hundred bucks or whatever only to not like it and have it collecting dust like your's.

The inner door thing is something else I was toying with. What was mentioned has me convinced.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
Steel Chicken

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Seat delete is also great for a full on stereo system in the back, would look very nice... and being able to say "sorry, can only take one passenger."
Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
jasen
Insert Witty Title Here

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Seat delete is also great for a full on stereo system in the back, would look very nice... and being able to say "sorry, can only take one passenger."

It sure would! If it weren't this car with this kind of power I would definitely consider something like that. While I'm not on the bandwagon of gutting it out to get it down to 3k pounds I'm also not one to want to put a whole bunch of unnecessary weight back there either. But again, that's just me. I see other people load theirs down with subs in the trunk and what not and don't notice a difference, but that's their cars not mine. Tomato...Tomahto I guess.

With the whole one passenger thing I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've actually used the back seat. But I think that's a lot of us on here.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
Steel Chicken

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I would love to have a spare, gutted GTO for race only duty, but the interior on our cars is so nice, it would be a crime to pillage it.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
jasen
Insert Witty Title Here

Monaro CV8

Quote:
I would love to have a spare, gutted GTO for race only duty, but the interior on our cars is so nice, it would be a crime to pillage it.

Amen to that one. Kind of cliche, but the interior is on par with being the most comfortable that GM has ever produced.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #14
Shawshank
Cyclone Gray Moneypit

2005 GTO Owner

Cliche yes, but I love the interior as well. I hadn't thought about sound deadening the Goat before, but I think it would be a fun project that would cut out some road noise. No real rattles here, but I wouldn't mind a bit more insulation from sound/the elements!

Sent from my Inspire 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
2005 CGM M6 VR HAI, NOT STOCK EXHAUST MANIFOLDS, AFTERMARKET CATBACK, STOCK CRANK PULLEY, LS2 INTAKE MANIFOLD, P&P TB, NOT STOCK TUNE, NO COILOVERS, STOCK RR & SUBFRAME BUSHINGS, NOT STOCK DIFF INSERT BUSHING, NO TRUCK SHIFTER MOD, 05/06 BRAKES, NOT STOCK ROTORS, PADS, LOW MILE TAKE-OFF WIRES, SPARK PLUGS, CATCH CAN, CAST IRON TENSIONER, LITTLE TO NO AESTHETIC GOODIES.... - shawfigg
Old 12-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
jasen
Insert Witty Title Here

Monaro CV8

Ehh....smurf it.

My "thoughts" this morning started out as just putting some in the back to reduce some noise, but it's evolved into a full blown deadening project. It's torn apart anyway and I don't really relish the thought of even thinking about driving it in the coming months due to the weather that most certainly will rain on my parade. And it'll be a fun project provided I can convince the Mrs. into letting me go all out with whatever I decide to go with for deadening.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
jasen
Insert Witty Title Here

Monaro CV8

Quote:

You weren't smurfin' around about Amazon having almost unbelievable deals.

Amazon Amazon

I used to use the self-adhesive kind on about 7 out of 10 installs that I did and it always worked just as well as the rolled on kind. FWIW.

For that much of it that's one helluva deal.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 AM   #17
zech912
Wol Gemut

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasen...View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-.../dp/B00020CB2S

I used to use the self-adhesive kind on about 7 out of 10 installs that I did and it always worked just as well as the rolled on kind. FWIW.

yep, at the time. ordered a year or so ago, it was literally about half the cost at local warehouse store, plus free shipping and all that. It is good to know its quality even matches the rolled on.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
Dictatorsaurus

Is there a decent cheaper substitute to the Dynamat stuff?

Mods:
K&N Drop-in Filter
Billet Prototypes Catch Can
Billet Pro Shifter
BMR Drag Bags
Lovells Differential Insert
Lovells Radius Rod Bushings
JBL GTO607c Speakers (Front)
JBL GTO 627 Speakers (Rear)
Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
Shawshank
Cyclone Gray Moneypit

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus...View Post
Is there a decent cheaper substitute to the Dynamat stuff?

^^^

Sent from my Inspire 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
NormGTO
2004 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasen...View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-.../dp/B00020CB2S

Ebay has them beat by a buck or two shipped. You don't have to cover every square inch of area when dampening. Just the areas that have more flexing.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #21
Raysadude

how much weight does it add to the car, considering they are already heavy
Old 12-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #22
weissadam24

There was a thread rolling around here, the gentlemen did much what you are attempting to achieve. If I remember correctly he used a product similar to Dynamat, and also heating and air foil wrapped insulation. With a heat gun and foil tape, he laid it over the doors, floor pan, wheel wells.,and even the headliner. He said it made a major difference in the "solid feel" of the interior. Something I've thought about tackling myself?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
2step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysadude...View Post
how much weight does it add to the car, considering they are already heavy

It's heavy. But you don't have to do a full coverage. You can do 1" cross hatch strips for almost as much benefit as a full coverage job but only 20% of the weight. I think most vendors list both the square foot and the weight of the rolls that they sell. I think??
Old 12-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #24
wildey475mag

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to wildey475mag
this is the stuff i just got from amazon to use for my door speaker installs in my expedition and f-450

Amazon Amazon
2001 f-350 powerstroke 4wd heavily modded
2009 f-450 powerstroke modded moderatly
2005 ford expedition limited 4wd
Old 12-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #25
Robert

2006 GTO Owner

Sounddeadener showdown did a nice comparison awhile back and you could decide based off their test and what you want to spend. I'm sure there has been 10 new brands on the market now.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:01 AM   #26
Raysadude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step...View Post
It's heavy. But you don't have to do a full coverage. You can do 1" cross hatch strips for almost as much benefit as a full coverage job but only 20% of the weight. I think most vendors list both the square foot and the weight of the rolls that they sell. I think??

Make sense i got to try this on my camaro see if its going to make a little more quiet inside the cabin
Old 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #27
redtan

2006 GTO Owner

So I got around to installing the RAAMAT Ensolite peel n' stick foam on top of the dynamat I previously installed and I must say it made quite a difference. Moreso than just the dynamat alone which supposedly isn't so much a sound deadner as this.

Without even putting the rear seats back in it's already quieter in the cabin than before with just the dynamat in place. And the seats make quite a bit of difference in sound especially if you have loud mufflers out back. Mine are in the 04 location, right underneath the rear seat...and since 05-06s don't have any heatshielding under the car where the 04s place their mufflers it was extra loud.

Setup is: 1 layer of dynamat right on the bare metal panels behind and underneath the rear seats. Then 2 layers of this foam right on top of that. It is also very very light compared to dynamat. To do the whole back took like 8-10lbs of dynamat in 1 layer. To do the entire back took like 3lbs of peel n' stick to do 2 layers.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #28
NormGTO
2004 GTO

Quote:

I did the driver door with Dynamat Extreme and it made a big enough difference that I could hear less volume near my left ear and more in my right ear. The door has a slight improvement the closing clunk but I only did CLD tiles on the inner skin. By then it was sealed because of the cold to remove and do the outer skin. I'll have to wait until summer sun loosens it up again.

If your concerned about weight Dynamat makes a lightweight version that is just thinner.

More info on the 3 types of deadening to do it right:

http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/wp/...e-areas/doors/
Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #29
xspeed

I dynamatted the whole floor, trunk, and doors of my GTO and although it help it adds a lot of weight.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #30
dreadpirateroberts
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Am I the only one here who likes the noise?

no rear seats, no sound deadening tar, lightweight carpet. I hear everything. I hear the rearend, axles and driveshaft, transmission, engine, exhaust, everything. rocks hitting the fenderwell.

i love it. i love hearing what the car is doing.

ahhh.

of course it isn't a DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: