Please critique my burnout - Page 2 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors


Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > Racing > Drag Racing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #31
dlively11
Registered User
 
dlively11's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SLV
Posts: 1,804


Offline
I think my real problem last time out was I wasnt lifting up enough on the brakes to get it spinning as fast as it could have. Need more practice .. got to get back out there !
__________________
Very newest ride . 2005 E55 AMG / 550 whp 600 tq bolts ons only =)

Newest ride; Porsche Cayenne Turbo

New ride; 06 PBM 35K miles Maggie 112 / 2.6 pulley 9 PSI / JBA shorties / X pipe /3 inch exhaust to Magnaflows
BC coilovers / Hotchkis F/R Sway bars / Endlinks / Bushings / built A4 tranny / 2800 stall / 11.8 with 1.8x 60 ft hot lapping.

05 300C Hemi stock 14.3@98 MPH 2.2 60 ft =?(

05 GTO A4 IBM
01 GTP 3.8 turbo
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #32
NOS GTO
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 42


Offline
I have 275/40/17 mickey thompsons and i run 12psi in them. As stated above unless you have skinny go around and back up (but do not get front tires in water). You want as much wheel speed as you can so the car doesnt start to drift sideways. After my burn out i always do a dry hop because when you do a burn out it throw water in the fender wells which then drips on top of the tire. Hope this helps.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #33
dyno junkie
Registered User
 
dyno junkie's Avatar
 
Monaro CV8

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 875


Offline
That's way too low a pressure to be running in Mickey Thompson radials
__________________
2001 Monaro CV8 LS3
11.089seconds
121.78mph
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #34
bluhaven
That ain't no cake
 
bluhaven's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tijuana,Cal
Posts: 2,385


Offline
MT recommendations for drag radials. http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/tech.php?bulletin=s3 The more air the better, as long as you can still hook.

Kevin
__________________
Some Bolt On's

11.990@112.54mph-1.643 60ft(Fontana)Hers
11.895@114.62mph-1.641 60ft(Famoso)
11.632@114.86mph-1.570 60ft.(Infineon)
11.512@116.63mph-1.553 60ft AI Heads(Famoso)
11.632@114.86mph-1.570 60ft(Sonoma)


11.944@111.84mph-1.600 60ft.(Fontana)His
11.924@113.46mph-1.632 60ft(Famoso)
7.445@ 92.11mph-1.585 60ft(Irwindale)
11.969@112.57mph-1.632 60ft.(Infineon)
12.010@114.97mph-1.637 60ft.(Firebird)
PB MPH 114.97--------------(Firebird)
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #35
bluhaven
That ain't no cake
 
bluhaven's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tijuana,Cal
Posts: 2,385


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS GTO...View Post
I have 275/40/17 mickey thompsons and i run 12psi in them. As stated above unless you have skinny go around and back up (but do not get front tires in water). You want as much wheel speed as you can so the car doesnt start to drift sideways. After my burn out i always do a dry hop because when you do a burn out it throw water in the fender wells which then drips on top of the tire. Hope this helps.

If there's big puddles of water, thats too much, have them sweep it out or move further up in the water box to get out of the puddle to avoid getting the water thrown up into the wheel wells and dragging it further up to the starting line for you and the next guy. Also before driving into the water box, pick a spot in the water box where the water is straight across so both wheels well end up on the edge of the water and not completely in it. This has worked well for us.

Kevin
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #36
XBoT
Registered User
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 557


Offline
2nd gear, 5 seconds, light on brakes and you'll be set. When i first started racing, i had a problem i could never do a good burnout, well it was because i was holding the brake too hard. Doh.
__________________

TSP Torquer 2 112 LSA, GMPP World Challenge Heads, FAST 102, NW 102 TB, 1 7/8" ARH Headers w/ cats, Monster LT1-S, Corsa Touring, UDP, LS9 Injectors, LPE CAI, MGW-P Shifter, GForce Built Diff with TruTrac, GForce Level 1 Stubs, CTS-V1 Front and Rear Brakes


19" CCW 505a, Lovells 340/350mm Drop, HD End Links, Lovells Eccentric Bushings, Air Lift Drag Bags, 6000k Low/Fog DDM HIDs, Mav Man CF Diffuser, Mav Man CF Grilles, Mav man Lip Spoiler
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #37
dlively11
Registered User
 
dlively11's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SLV
Posts: 1,804


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoT...View Post
2nd gear, 5 seconds, light on brakes and you'll be set. When i first started racing, i had a problem i could never do a good burnout, well it was because i was holding the brake too hard. Doh.

So start in 2nd ? I think I was holding brake too had as well. Whoops
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #38
xtaspeed05
Abracadabra Holmes
 
xtaspeed05's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 4,524
Premium Member


Offline
Yes, if the rpm's seem to be hard to hold up at 6k and it seems like the engine is struggling..... Then let off the brakes a bit and the rpm's will shoot back up. The car may even start to inch forward which is fine... That means your applied brake pressure is good. It's not a bad thing to let the car go into 3rd in an auto as well. If your aggressive when you start your brake stand in drive, then your car will get into 3rd gear in no time.
__________________

"Let's see if these bastards can do 90..."

2005 gto MBM M6 1 of 566

Stock~315/317~13.35@104.85~2.09 60'

Go Fast-Vararam|Ported Intake & T.b.|Jba shorties w/gutted cats|Tq.V2 cam 113lsa|Asp udp|LS7 clutch|Lss|S.S. clutch line|X-pipe|4" magnapacks|Dyno tuned|420/393

Show-Sap front fascia & grill's|Klearz markers|06 tails|Jhp V1 lip spoiler|18X8.5 ADR's

Best E.T.
1/8 mile~7.74@92.13
1/4 mile~11.99@115.46~1.82 60'on Nitto Dr's~D.A. 250ft.
Best 60ft. 1.78
Curb weight ~ 3620lbs.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #39
raygnicky
Mr.CGM / Team G.P Performace
 
raygnicky's Avatar
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Manteca CA
Posts: 4,507


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtaspeed05...View Post
Yes, if the rpm's seem to be hard to hold up at 6k and it seems like the engine is struggling..... Then let off the brakes a bit and the rpm's will shoot back up. The car may even start to inch forward which is fine... That means your applied brake pressure is good. It's not a bad thing to let the car go into 3rd in an auto as well. If your aggressive when you start your brake stand in drive, then your car will get into 3rd gear in no time.


You seem to have some decent exp @ this , we're did you learn this from lol
__________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG6q0VLYHDU
GTO #1
Cyclonic Rabbit

Mods : Trick flow heads & cam | Fast 102 | L.T.'s | Vararam | 3.91's | 3600 Stall | 610 lbs diet


485/441 stock cid
10.993 @ 122.90 1.55 60ft E.T. Streets @ sac
best 60 1.51 trap 125.99
str weight 3075 lbs
Race weight 2975 lbs.
Diablo tuned myself


GTO #2
2006 CGM M6

Mods : Ported 243's | VRX5 | Fast 92 | Long-tubes | Vararam |

494/452 Stock cid
11.70 @ 119.42 1.81 60ft @ Sonoma

str weight 3440 lbs
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #40
xtaspeed05
Abracadabra Holmes
 
xtaspeed05's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 4,524
Premium Member


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygnicky...View Post
You seem to have some decent exp @ this , we're did you learn this from lol

  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #41
Plumcrazy1
10 Second Club
 
Plumcrazy1's Avatar
 
2004 GTO Owner

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Jacksonville Fl
Posts: 1,101


Offline
I thought you did a pretty good job!! I am like most everyone I have my wife stop me at the very edge of the water box so the back tires are just still in the very end of the water. I have a TH400 so I start in second gear bring the rpm way up I shift to Third and run it all the way threw. It didn't sound like you were hitting very high rpm's in your burnout I found that to make them stick you really got to spin the hell out of them at the higher Rpm. I release my linelock while in third let her rollout a little till I feel them try to bite and make the car jump.. That's what I do.. I have been told that My burnouts are a little excessive!!!
__________________
My LSX Build
04 Cosmos
LSX 427
Many Parts from
Gforce1320
C/F Driveshaft--Rear lower Control arms--
Trans Mount--Trans Tunnel Plate--To list a Few

Gforce Ford 9" IRS
FTI Th400 & Stall
Autoform Cowl Hood
Lonnies Fuel System
Nitrous Dave Dry Kit
Hardcore Intake
Tuned by Hardcore
PB
10.02 @ 140
Best 60ft 1.45
LSXGOAT BUILD WEBSITE
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #42
mk9190
12.21 at 110.81 bolt-ons only
 
mk9190's Avatar
 
2004 GTO Owner

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mason City , Iowa
Posts: 5,941


Offline
Aside from getting the front tires wet,I don't really see anything wrong with the burnout.Only the first burnout of the day needs to be longer,every one after that only needs to be half as long.What I do see is a suspension that needs to be dialed in though,the front is way to firm.....I would start there.



The BOM has coil overs,not dialed in yet.The PBM has Konis on the front set on soft....pause at 23 seconds to see the difference.I hope this helps
__________________
stock LS1 with a few bolt-ons....12.211 at 110.81
http:www.youtube.com/user/mk04gto#p/u/13/8BCtGwiWHqE
Thanks to Advanced Auto Service,FTI,Gforce1320,Karl Performance and Holeshot Wheels

Last edited by mk9190; 12-25-2012 at 11:22 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #43
XBoT
Registered User
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 557


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlively11...View Post
So start in 2nd ? I think I was holding brake too had as well. Whoops

Yes. I tried the whole do it in D and 1st->2nd but it would always bog. Personally, ive had the best luck starting and staying in 2nd gear.

Here is a quick burnout video of my car from awhile ago, the beginning is cutout but its pretty much all there.

  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #44
dlively11
Registered User
 
dlively11's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SLV
Posts: 1,804


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumcrazy1...View Post
I thought you did a pretty good job!! I am like most everyone I have my wife stop me at the very edge of the water box so the back tires are just still in the very end of the water. I have a TH400 so I start in second gear bring the rpm way up I shift to Third and run it all the way threw. It didn't sound like you were hitting very high rpm's in your burnout I found that to make them stick you really got to spin the hell out of them at the higher Rpm. I release my linelock while in third let her rollout a little till I feel them try to bite and make the car jump.. That's what I do.. I have been told that My burnouts are a little excessive!!!


Thanks. It was going into 3rd too soon and caused RPMs to go low. I think I will try to do the whole thing in 2nd next time out. Just need to remember to let out on the brake a little more

Quote:
What I do see is a suspension that needs to be dialed in though,the front is way to firm.....I would start there.

I was thinking the front is still too low and the rear is kind of high. I have BC racing coil overs. I had the best luck with the softest settings. Tried setting the rear to 50% firm but it hurt my 60 foots.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #45
dreadpirateroberts
ಠ_ಠ
 
dreadpirateroberts's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NWI
Posts: 21,241


Offline
I have always pulled slightly out of the box or stayed at the edge. If the track is very sticky, as you burn out you will feel the rear start to squat a little when the tires are ready. If not, 5-6 sec burnout is sufficient--right when you start to see smoke in your mirrors. Don't want to burn too long, or your compound will start to ball up and get greasy. Roll out of the burn and stage immediately, no stopping or dry hops in between.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 AM   #46
dyno junkie
Registered User
 
dyno junkie's Avatar
 
Monaro CV8

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 875


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk9190...View Post
Aside from getting the front tires wet,I don't really see anything wrong with the burnout.Only the first burnout of the day needs to be longer,every one after that only needs to be half as long.What I do see is a suspension that needs to be dialed in though,the front is way to firm.....I would start there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_J65...laOAA&index=21


The BOM has coil overs,not dialed in yet.The PBM has Konis on the front set on soft....pause at 23 seconds to see the difference.I hope this helps



Those are very short/small burnouts.

Our Monaro would skate all over the track if I did such a short burnout.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #47
mk9190
12.21 at 110.81 bolt-ons only
 
mk9190's Avatar
 
2004 GTO Owner

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mason City , Iowa
Posts: 5,941


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno junkie...View Post
Those are very short/small burnouts.

Our Monaro would skate all over the track if I did such a short burnout.



Both GTOs are on 15 inch rims.The BOM M6(cam and bolt-ons)high 1.5 60ft and the PBM A4(bolt-on only)low 1.6 60ft.

Here is a video of us breaking-in new tires...


notice the smoke activates the pre-stage and stage lights
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #48
PIYF
9's or bust
 
PIYF's Avatar
 
Vauxhall CV8/VXR

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dickinson, Tx
Posts: 8,746


Online
1.5 with an M6 is impressive
__________________
Blown 2003 Z w/RPM Level 6 4L60e swap
Everything installed by me with the help of ECS,
RPM and the Internet.


624/588 <-Dyno Video w/M6
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic29974_4.gif
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #49
dyno junkie
Registered User
 
dyno junkie's Avatar
 
Monaro CV8

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 875


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk9190...View Post
Both GTOs are on 15 inch rims.The BOM M6(cam and bolt-ons)high 1.5 60ft and the PBM A4(bolt-on only)low 1.6 60ft.

Here is a video of us breaking-in new tires...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVKuJsI4KkA

notice the smoke activates the pre-stage and stage lights

I guess the tyre size is what is making the difference.

Those burnouts a similar to my normal burnout with well worn tyres.
I'm using Mickey Thompson 265/40/18 radials with an auto, so far have run a few 1.52 sixty foot times on Tein coil overs.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #50
mk9190
12.21 at 110.81 bolt-ons only
 
mk9190's Avatar
 
2004 GTO Owner

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mason City , Iowa
Posts: 5,941


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno junkie...View Post
I guess the tyre size is what is making the difference.



I sold my widened 17s(with 275/40 MT DRs) before I swapped converters and went to the 15s(with 275/50 MT DRs) so I can't give you a true apples to apples comparison.I can tell you,the 15s are way more consistent even with the high stall converter.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #51
XBoT
Registered User
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 557


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk9190...View Post
I sold my widened 17s(with 275/40 MT DRs) before I swapped converters and went to the 15s(with 275/50 MT DRs) so I can't give you a true apples to apples comparison.I can tell you,the 15s are way more consistent even with the high stall converter.

Truf.

More sidewall the better. I've been running 1.59-1.65 60' on 255/60/15 (27"), rarely spin since i went with the 27".

Last edited by XBoT; 01-01-2013 at 06:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #52
dyno junkie
Registered User
 
dyno junkie's Avatar
 
Monaro CV8

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 875


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoT...View Post
Truf.

More sidewall the better. I've been running 1.59-1.65 60' on 255/60/15 (27"), rarely spin since i went with the 27".

What power, times and mph are you running?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #53
randy555
>__<
 
randy555's Avatar
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,210
Premium Member


Offline
Send a message via AIM to randy555
I run the Nitto NT05R's in a 275/40/17. Around 14-16psi will get you to hook great with a decent burnout. Here's mine. Right after this picture was taken I detroyed my rear.

  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:53 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2003-2008, LS1GTO.com
Site Banner Design 2005-2007, Cylosoft

LS1GTO.com is not affiliated with General Motors Corp.