Found an 06 GTO- Need Advice - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 01-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
mjdxtreme

2006 GTO Owner

Found an 06 GTO- Need Advice

I found an 06 silver on black GTO, 6 speed, with kooks headers, borla cat back exhaust and a volant intake. 32,000 miles with the interior in great condition and the exterior has a few minor blemishes. A ding on the rear bumper, and a shirt button sized chip on the front drivers quarter pannel that has been touched up, it also has normal front bumper rash from driving it. The place is asking $19995. I would like your advice on if you think it is worth it. I have tried to negotiate him down but he is very firm on his price. At the price he is asking he is willing to give me a 4 year 48k warranty and my out the door price would be like $23500. Without the warranty I am looking at $21900 out the door. Please tell me what your thought are and if you would make the deal??
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Fox Mulder
Alien Moderator

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

That's definitely on the pricey side.
Is that to 48K total or the current mileage + 48K? If the former it's only a 16K warranty which isn't that great if you're going to drive the car a lot.
Get the VIN and post it here to get a VIS report to see what's been done to it by GM-
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152902
Old 01-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
700Rocket

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

My thoughts are he is not giving you the warranty, you are paying for it. I also think the price is high. Do a search on Auto Trader and see what GTOs are going for in your area.

Edit: I take back my statement on price, it looks like it is in line with your area. Wow

GMM Shifter
Bohnman sill plates "PONTIAC"
Vararam
JHP Dash pod plus custom dual pod with Aeroforce
Kooks 1 3/4 headers with Cats
Magnaflow Stainless system
Billet Prototypes Catch Can
VX Tails
Ported TB and Intake, Thanks to Cory @ Portworks
Complete Red interior install, seats, doors and dash.

Lost my little pug friend 3-21-2014, RIP Buddy Bob.

Last edited by 700Rocket; 01-01-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
JNR
Quidditas

2004 GTO Owner

Yeah, does seem a little high and esp. for silver (not that it's a bad color, just don't think it carries quite the premium)...It's good that it has headers on it already and stuff, provided the car wasn't abused, but that doesn't add anything despite what some folks think when they sell their modified cars Warranties are useless to me, unless it's included or dirt cheap, for a little piece of mind and if this is a mom and pop shop, you're pretty much stuck going there only and you'll have to read the fine print real good.

For reference, I bought my 04 with 32k on it a few months ago from a dealer and I thought it was a little high at $14,800, BUT it was clean, untouched and my favorite color (cosmos) and 6 speed...With the convenience factor and them paying me more than I paid for my truck as a trade, it worked out nice...the bad part is financing an 04 carries a higher %, but it's not too awful; 06 you should be alright as a new vehicle %, so that'll help.

Good thing here is a it's a 6-speed and has low miles, so sounds like a good one to pursue IF you can get em down to a more realistic price ($17k tops IMO if it's at a dealer). My advice is give him an offer and be serious you're going to buy it then, or let it sit for awhile and they'll eventually call you back...dealer I bought mine from started off at $17k, only offered me like $20k for my truck and I didn't come back again until a month later, where they went down $2200 and went up $6k on my trade. It's funny where those clowns always start and where they end up.

I had an 06 I bought brand new and sort of miss the 6.0 and IBM/18's, but do sort of like this 04 more (esp. the color).
1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
1971 Chevy Malibu "383" <--need to get this back together!

Last edited by JNR; 01-01-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
esau999
O_o

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Meh, taking 5 minutes to look at my market, $20K looks like a good starting price to negotiate down from at a dealer...especially with that mileage and provided that the car is very clean. You will easily find better prices from private sellers. Regardless of what you do, have a good mechanic give it a thorough once over. Personally, I never buy an aftermarket warranty unless I can leverage it into lowering the price at which I'm buying the car in which case I usually cancel it and get a prorated sum of it back. I've never found that I got much use out of 'em, and, on a car like this that I plan to heavily modify, any warranty company will put the kibosh on many claims - don't know what your plans are for the car. On top of that, the markup on them is insane: it's how the F&I guy makes a little money for himself on your deal. That said, if you're intent on buying a warranty, it is as negotiable as the price of the car.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Alexander

That warranty is way too much money. Just find a good indi shop.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
mjdxtreme

2006 GTO Owner

The car is at an independent dealer and the warranty is through ASC. I cannot seem to find many others out there. I offered him 20k out the door and was not willing to take it. What I can tell you from connections I have is that he got it for 16500 at auction and I am guessing at most he has $1000 in shipping and reconditioning into it for a total of $17500. I have received a solid out the door price of $18300 for a brazen orange, 6 speed with 71k miles. I really want another GTO but damn these things are still steep in price.

Last edited by mjdxtreme; 01-01-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
JNR
Quidditas

2004 GTO Owner

I forgot to mention that at least in commifornia they typically give you a 3k/3 month warranty as part of the sale and that should be enough to address anything major that may be wrong with it...bad part (again with a warranty where you're stuck going to that place only) is if it's far to take your car, it's pretty much useless and if it's a make/model they don't sell or work on, chances are it won't do a whole lot of good. I've used them before many years ago, but anymore unless it's something majorly wrong, I don't bother going back there.

Private party is nice for $, but remember it can be a hassle if you finance and esp. if they have a lien also, as they have to go to their bank with your check and you have to get their car appraised by bring it to the bank; least with some banks; then there's all the DMV bs...As much as I hate the dealers, the convenience factor is worth a couple thousand to me. Somehow I get lucky finding what I want but wouldn't mind looking PP...just kind of tough on newer stuff and things that are >$10k, etc.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
greenmtn
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

for that kind of money look at this:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453406
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
J-Rod_Almighty
Banned

Here is a one.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/3450891992.html

I would (if I were looking to buy) offer $21,5, Better color, Better miles, No Tax Etc..
Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
spike
Spike

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to spike
to much for the warranty IMHO
Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
high school goat
Retarded Spark

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to high school goat
He wants too much. If you like the car leave your number and walk. He will sit on it and if it doesn't sell he will be calling.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
theredgoat

2005 GTO Owner

I'd leave it and pick up one of the ones posted above. Better cars for better deals.
Lovells bushings
MGW-P
Vararam
JBA L/Ts with catted mids
SLP LM1 cat back with x pipe
Tuned by Josh @ Spartan performance
Driven everyday
Old 01-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
SIGTO
Banned

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to SIGTO
Dealers have stupidly ridiculous prices on these cars. I don't know why. They must be selling them if they keep listing them for so high..but dayum
Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
africangoat

My $.02 is to wait!! Patience is virtue and trust me you will find what you want for the right price. I'm looking for a z06 and each one of them is pricey. I've been waiting for a while now and I just found one in the color that I want with good mileage. Don't buy it and regret it. I know that feeling and it sucks
Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
mjdxtreme

2006 GTO Owner

I would prefer to pick one up locally as I normally do not have that much time to travel to get one. I have decided not to look at purchasing the warranty but I am still looking at a price of $20k plus tax, title, and docs. Unfortunately the state of nevada and our sales tax is going to hit me for 8.1%. At that price I also will not have to install an intake and exhaust, which I normally do. So considering that the headers would cost me $1000 and the intake and cat back exhaust would cost me another $1000 down the road, in order for me to get a better deal I would need to find one under 18k. I cannot seem to find one it better condition with the low miles in my area. There was another one that just popped up on carmax in california for 23k with 14k miles, so the price is right in line with what everything is selling for. I have also been hunting for 3 months now trying to find a good one and this is the best one I have seen. I am going to make an offer of $21k out the door and if he does not bite I will walk. That will put the price at about 19000 which is right a NADA book value.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
africangoat

Make that offer and stick to it, my buddy was suppose to pay 35k for a car with 4000 miles on it. He negotiated and paid 24k out the door with warranty and got a free remote start installation. It works you just have to be stick to the price. Cash talks if you have the money/check in hand As well
Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
JNR
Quidditas

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGTO...View Post
Dealers have stupidly ridiculous prices on these cars. I don't know why. They must be selling them if they keep listing them for so high..but dayum

Sickening part is you know they probably paid the guy like $10k for it.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #19
Shawshank
Cyclone Gray Moneypit

2005 GTO Owner

Good things come to those who wait. Dealerships are pretty crazy over here too. You can easily find one for less on the forums and in a lot of cases have a better idea of the condition of the car!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
Third_Goat

2006 GTO Owner

mjdextreme:
I feel your pain with our 8.1 tax rate here and the dealers propensity to add another several hundred for 'doc' fees. FWIW, I bought my 06 via this forum in San Jose over 4 years ago for $20K with 8200 miles. No tax, I flew to SJ for $164, drove back and considered myself way ahead. BTW, check out sincitygoats.com if you'd like.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #21
SIGTO
Banned

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdxtreme...View Post
The car is at an independent dealer and the warranty is through ASC. I cannot seem to find many others out there. I offered him 20k out the door and was not willing to take it. What I can tell you from connections I have is that he got it for 16500 at auction and I am guessing at most he has $1000 in shipping and reconditioning into it for a total of $17500. I have received a solid out the door price of $18300 for a brazen orange, 6 speed with 71k miles. I really want another GTO but damn these things are still steep in price.

They're really not...you're just looking in the wrong places. $18,300 is ridiculous for a car with 71k!

For the one you're looking at with those miles i'd be a buyer at no more than 17k. $19995 is crazy. You never get mod money back so tell the dealer he can shove the headers up his ass. And don't forget the grand or so you'd have to spend to get the paint right. I'm assuming you're buying the car outright? Be patient and look for a private seller. Dealing with dealerships is like dealing with the devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR...View Post
Sickening part is you know they probably paid the guy like $10k for it.

When I bought mine in 09, I went to a chevy dealership close by and they had 2. Both had like 25-26k miles on them. They wanted 26k for one and 27k for the other. Neither was a color I really wanted (black and red). And those prices were before tax/title/whatevs. In reality I was only looking for a free test drive but I listened to the spiel for the hell of it. They weren't even giving a warranty with those cars, they were just "certifying" it. The warranty was extra. smurf that noise. I'm not paying nearly full retail for a used car.

Waited a few weeks, found an MBM with 20k miles in Indiana. Gave him $18k for it. The rest is history.

I guess they get most people because they don't have the cash to buy the car outright. It takes a lot of their bargaining power away. But if I was pulling a loan and could get the payments within tolerable levels I'd probably buy it too. I have in the past...but now for what I was paying a month for the payment and insurance I have 3 cars I own with insurance and am still ahead a few hundred bucks a month. I don't think I'll ever take another car loan again.

Last edited by SIGTO; 01-03-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #22
mjdxtreme

2006 GTO Owner

I wish I was able to pay for it out right with cash but that is not the case. In most cases I am ok dealing with dealerships as I am a pain when it comes to working with and sometimes they cave just to finish the transaction. Also even though there is a mark up if they are a reputable dealer is most cases you know what you are getting, where as I have friends and family that have sold cars and hid things that are worng just to make the sale and I dont want to have to go through that. I have looked around craigslist and just cannot seem to find the quality and miles that this one has. I am going to make an offer and see what the outcome is. I could be a GTO owner again shortly if he bites.

Last edited by mjdxtreme; 01-04-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #23
hondahunter
Slutslayer

2005 GTO Owner

Way to much.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #24
06BOM6
Mmm BOM

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

For a dealer, it's not way too much. Especially if you are not paying cash (therefore not buying private party)

Mine at 48k on the clock and a million previous owners was listed at 19990. I got it for a bit less out the door than that for sure, but around me, less than 100k and good condition (mine is super clean inside and pretty good out) they go for pretty high. I've seen others go for mid twenties here by dealers.

So if its in line with your area, and your comfortable spending the money and its really what you want, get it.

Don't let someone here bitch at you about 1-2k.

Just be happy and take care of the goat and life will be good.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Horsepower numbers are just like dick measuring contests. Sure, one guy gets the trophy for having the biggest dick, but it is bulky and his pants don't fit too well, it always dunks into the water when he sits on the toilet, and women find it to be rather uncomfortable during sex so they make him stop, and one day he will realize that all he has is a trophy for ultimately having an otherwise useless penis.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #25
csucguy18

2005 GTO Owner

Seems expensive to me as well. Do you need the car or want the car? If you want it, i would wait to find a better deal.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
J-Rod_Almighty
Banned

Quote:
I wish I was able to pay for it out right with cash but that is not the case. In most cases I am ok dealing with dealerships as I am a pain when it comes to working with and sometimes they cave just to finish the transaction. Also even though there is a mark up if they are a reputable dealer is most cases you know what you are getting, where as I have friends and family that have sold cars and hid things that are worng just to make the sale and I dont want to have to go through that. I have looked around craigslist and just cannot seem to find the quality and miles that this one has. I am going to make an offer and see what the outcome is. I could be a GTO owner again shortly if he bites.

You are out of your mind!!!!!!!!......

I did a cl search within 500 miles of you and found no less than a dozen (BETTER) cars.

It does not sound to me like you are actually looking.

You fell in love....
and are Blind as to the rest of the world

Just my .02
Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #27
700Rocket

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod_Almighty...View Post
You are out of your mind!!!!!!!!......

I did a cl search within 500 miles of you and found no less than a dozen (BETTER) cars.

It does not sound to me like you are actually looking.

You fell in love....
and are Blind as to the rest of the world

Just my .02

Give him HELL man!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #28
SIGTO
Banned

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
I wish I was able to pay for it out right with cash but that is not the case.

Well, like someone else asked...do you need the car or do you want it? These are great cars but let's face it...they're depreciating pretty fast. You'd be upside down buying it at that price cash, let alone adding a few years worth of interest. You'll never sell it for what you owe...or even worse, if it gets wrecked, well, I hope you have gap insurance.

Quote:
Also even though there is a mark up if they are a reputable dealer is most cases you know what you are getting, where as I have friends and family that have sold cars and hid things that are worng just to make the sale and I dont want to have to go through that. I have looked around craigslist and just cannot seem to find the quality and miles that this one has. I am going to make an offer and see what the outcome is. I could be a GTO owner again shortly if he bites.

Sorry I disagree with that. Yeah people sell cars with problems just to get rid of them but that's where it takes common sense on the buyers part to spot problems.

Dealers I believe you almost never know what you're getting. It's common practice for them to cover up problems just to sell the car and make a quick profit. Shit, there's stories here about dealers stuffing banana's in diffs that were failing and noisy to quiet them down so the buyer was none the wiser. Plus, I guarantee every salesperson and every tire kicker in town has ridden that car hard through the neighborhood.

I feel I know what I'm getting when the previous owner shows me service records and I can't spot any rust, body repair, water damage and can't hear any engine knocks, transmission noises or rear end noises.

But anyway, I hope you get a car you like..but if it's at all possible you'd really be better off saving up for a year or so and just buying one. You'll have more money for mods without a payment.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #29
Audacious Nick
Savannah Katz!

2004 GTO Owner

Wow. For a few thousand more, I could get a corvette.
Sounds like a great deal, getting a beat up Gto for that much.

Mods:
  • Not Stock mufflers
  • Not stock Spark Plugs
  • Not stock Headers
  • Not stock bushings
  • Not stock shocks
  • Not stock tune
  • Not stock heads
  • Not stock CAI that produces 9psi
  • Not stock fuel setup
  • Not stock Semen injectors
  • 93 octane fuel
  • fuel pressure gauge
  • Not stock air filter
  • not stock Belts
  • not stock tires

2008 Corvette- The Honda
Stock- 11.718@119.94(this is my car's capability)
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #30
mjdxtreme

2006 GTO Owner

Just to be clear I am looking at the 06 silver m6 with 32k miles. Blue book on this vehicle is 18900 for nada and just under 20000 with kbb. So based on that information the vehicle is right in line with pricing. Also kbb private party says the car should be 17500 from a private party. With that being said and looking at the numbers it is a great bargain no but it shows the car is priced right in line with nada and kbb. This is not a need for the car it is that I want to get back into another GTO and they are getting hard to come by. There are currently only 5 manuel GTO's at auction and 3 have been wrecked.

I can also tell you that the dealer is into the vehicle for about 17500 or so. He bought it at auction for 16500 out of state so he had shipping costs, plus added a new spoiler onto it, oil and detail. So he has about 2500 mark up on the car.

Last edited by mjdxtreme; 01-05-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: