Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Suspension/Steering/Brakes

Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #151
psu goat
Owns a slow GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ls7gto...View Post
The only thing I don't really like about the Wilwood kit is how small the rear setup looks behind bigger wheels.

Yeah, but the rear setup is actually slightly larger than the factory rear setup, so the factory rear brakes look small behind the 18's too.

2006 GTO TVS1900. Pedders Track II. Xa Coilovers. Wilwood BBK. Rota P45's. Dunlop. Hotchkis. Maverick Man Carbon. West Coast Speed. LS9 cam. PRC. Comp. RPS twin. GForce1320 cf driveshaft, stubs, axles. 2QWK. ARP. Titanium lugs. MGW-P. SCSS mounts and gauges. Innovate. JHP Gauges. Duspeed OTR. Kooks LT's/catback. Harrop. Russell. LPE. NGK. MSD. Billet Prototypes. Schroth. Pioneer. 5500k HID's. VLEDs. 553/511Proxses tune.
2014 Regal GS AWD 2.0T.
2002 Sonoma LSX truck of doom.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #152
thedak
-----------

2006 GTO Owner

Why the F did I part this car out and sell it ?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #153
high school goat
Retarded Spark

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to high school goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedak...View Post

Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #154
slammin86
...brah

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedak...View Post

The red grand am?
10.9 @ 132 w/ 1.8 60 HAHALOL

99 Civic SI
Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #155
Audacious Nick
Savannah Katz!

2004 GTO Owner

Because you wanted that minivan.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #156
05ls7gto
Original Owners Club

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu goat...View Post
Yeah, but the rear setup is actually slightly larger than the factory rear setup, so the factory rear brakes look small behind the 18's too.

Oh definitely, but compared to the 13.5" AP Racing/HSV rear brakes they aren't all that... Too bad the AP Racing kit is even more expensive than Wilwood.

2005 QSM/Anthracite/17/A4 - R.I.P.
2006 SRM/Anthracite/17/M6 - Mod List
2014 PBM Chevy SS/Sunroof/No Spare - Holden Conversion
Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #157
6.0 GTO
Goat Fast

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to 6.0 GTO Send a message via Yahoo to 6.0 GTO
AP racing is the way to go. You get what you pay for. No shit rigging involved with AP brakes. And they were engineered for these cars long before wilwood decided they would slap a set together.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

HPE Megadeath cam, UDP, SLP LT Headers, Corsa Catback, Textralia clutch kit, ACPT CF driveshaft, Billet shifter, SAP Spoiler
Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #158
Tony Luna

2005 GTO Owner

I bought thedak's used Wilwood 14"/12" set up about a year ago.

Just got a new set of front rotors and pads for Christmas (Summit Racing). The pads that originally came with the set up (from Wilwood) were not the best for my driving style and were causing wheel shake during light braking at moderate speeds. I had the rotors resurfaced once and everything smoothed out... for a few months. I talked to the guys at Wilwood and they indicated the pads + how I drive were the issue. Had I hammered on the brakes like they were intended to be used, they most likely would have been fine. They recommended another set of pads better suited for how I drive. Just got done with the install and bedding last weekend. Breeze to work on and the shims are a non-issue after the initial setup. We'll see...

I do think the rear rotors look a little small with 18"s, but functionality will always win over looks (at least w me).

I may have eventually gone with the AP set up, but the higher price and an available used Wilwood set (from someone that probably has/ had the cleanest car on the forum) cemented it for me.
GMM Ripshift Street w JHP short shaft, LS7 clutch w 2QWK4U MC and lines, Harrop diff cover, G-Force CF DS and half shafts, Hinson mounts, Bassini cat-back
JHP gauge pod, sport wheel, Bluetooth, door lock, SSCC fuel pressure gauge
Various Maverick Man CF parts, VX tails

Last edited by Tony Luna; 01-04-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #159
Havoc
Don't drink the Kool-Aid...

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Luna...View Post

Just got a new set of front rotors and pads for Christmas (Summit Racing). The pads that originally came with the set up (from Wilwood) were not the best for my driving style and were causing wheel shake during light braking at moderate speeds. I had the rotors resurfaced once and everything smoothed out... for a few months. I talked to the guys at Wilwood and they indicated the pads + how I drive were the issue. Had I hammered on the brakes like they were intended to be used, they most likely would have been fine. They recommended another set of pads better suited for how I drive. Just got done with the install and bedding last weekend. Breeze to work on and the shims are a non-issue after the initial setup. We'll see...

I do think the rear rotors look a little small with 18"s, but functionality will always win over looks (at least w me).

I may have eventually gone with the AP set up, but the higher price and an available used Wilwood set (from someone that probably has the cleanest car on the forum) cemented it for me.

What was wrong with the functionality of what you took off?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #160
Tony Luna

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc...View Post
What was wrong with the functionality of what you took off?

Nothing. They were the original pads and rotors at 80K.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #161
slammin86
...brah

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Luna...View Post

I may have eventually gone with the AP set up, but the higher price and an available used Wilwood set (from someone that probably has/ had the cleanest car on the forum) cemented it for me.

What pads did you switch to? Sell me the setup? LOL I tried.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #162
Tony Luna

2005 GTO Owner

I don't remember right now, but I'll post it when I return from this trip. The old rotors (w/out hats) look like ass. Between the turning and me taking an orbital sander w 100 grit to clean the surface, the black electro-coat got wasted and led to rust. You can have them if you want to pay for the shipping, but you'd be much better off buying a complete, new kit.

Last edited by Tony Luna; 01-04-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: