Funniest misinformed GTO fan - Page 19 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 09-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #541
smitty2919

2004 GTO Owner

OMG..I saw a Bonneville pull up to a Subway one time and I was convinced it was a special edition Monaro imported when seeing only the front end and the 4 doors...I felt like a dumbass when the guy said "Nope, but my son has a GTO" I left and looked at it...Bonneville badges....I hung my head in failure/disappointment and went about my way.

Guilty as charged...
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #542
steamwalker
Goatlove

2006 GTO Owner

Yeah, if a goat owner occasionally misidentifies another goat, you can't blame the uninitiated folks too much.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #543
05 yellowjacket
Premium Member

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwalker...View Post
Gotta give it to GM styling gurus. I've been guilty of waving at cars across and intersection only to feel embarrassed to find out that I waived at a Grand Prix.

Witness:

GTO

Grand Prix

G5

G6

Bonneville

You can easily tell which one is the GOAT..........

The one with the orange arrowhead!
So sad, so true!

-In storage till spring 2015.
-BC Coilovers & Bushings installed.
-SAP grilles
-18" OEM's
-Svede OTRCAI
-SCSS Gator Pod with Aeroforce gauges.
-Mavman Billet YJ arrowheads
-WCS SAP lower grill insert

-1 of 234 (definately fewer) 05 A4 YJ'S
Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #544
smitty2919

2004 GTO Owner

^too much spacing...took too long to scroll
Old 09-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #545
05 yellowjacket
Premium Member

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919...View Post

Ok is that better?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #546
dbzguy
Apex Silver Sheep Squadron

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919...View Post

+1 on that!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #547
smitty2919

2004 GTO Owner

^ suck it lol
Old 09-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #548
The intimidator

2006 GTO Owner

GM has NO design/artistic prowess at all. I actually met some designer employees from detroits big three, I asked if they could have the lead designers to stop smoking crack and go back to weed and acid. They designed better cars then. I pulled the trunk badge (filled holes with putty and painted with touch up color), also removed the 6.0 and all lettering. So when certain idiot's get beaten they sit there and wonder was that modded G6 or a grand prix????
Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #549
sakeunited
N.C.G. Web Ambassador

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The intimidator...View Post
I pulled the trunk badge (filled holes with putty and painted with touch up color), also removed the 6.0 and all lettering. So when certain idiot's get beaten they sit there and wonder was that modded G6 or a grand prix????

nice

Tuned by G.P.P. Performance
Old 12-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #550
dclaw_fantum
It's only cosmetic...

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech912...View Post
during the 60s GM limited Pontiac performance levels to protect the Vette, so I accepted it without checking as plausible that Chevrolet resisted again. The fact that it was only the Vette base engine makes that very unlikely. thanks for the link.

Separately, I googled 'decision to put Ls2 in GTO' and came across an interesting thread on another forum in which the 04 owners were generally sure it would not happen. And this was in May 2004, not that far from the announcement. a dissenting opinion came from someone who had an inside track, and said they were already running mules.

I agree that describing it as a Corvette engine is a good way to give folks unfamiliar with the GTO a reference point.

They were restricted on the calibration for the U.S. bound cars. They were not supposed to put higher output programming into our GTOs. It wasn't a big deal, they were allowed to match the 'Vette, not beat it.

The only recent resistance of that kind that I heard of was the with the HSV W427. HSV supposedly had to fight to get the LS7 into that car and had to severely limit the production of it too (even less than what they planned). There were some heavy restrictions given to them in order to make that car exist.

Coming soon - Forged 402, LS3 Heads
Even Later - Boost, BC Coilovers, Full bushings, 9" rear conversion.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #551
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDrake...View Post
My brittle old grandma asks me what I was driving now.. I said "a GTO" she's like "oh the Grand Prix out there?" I said "no grandma they are nothing a like this one has a v8" she said "it's still a Grand Prix". Damn her. All she owns is pontiac grand am/Prix's too.

Should've smacked the beer out of her hand and called her out for a race. Smurf her Grand Prix.
Vararam
Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #552
Audacious Nick
Savannah Katz!

2004 GTO Owner

I just say Holden Monaro, now.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #553
Gatorfan

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19...View Post
I haven't run into many idiots in my year of ownership. I have run into some very misinformed people though. One guy next to me at a red:
Him: Is that a GTO?!
Me: Yeah it is.
Him: What year is it?
Me: Its a 2004.
Him: Oh I didn't know they made them again! They sure have changed though!"

Another buddy of mine kept swearing it would beat him motorcycle since the GTO's have v10 engines. . .

Had a guy ask me if mine was the V12 option?!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #554
sam5828

2004 GTO Owner

Lol great reading, guess I will add my story.

I was at the tire shop getting new front tires put on and they were almost done and this kid comes up to me that worked there, says I might wanna get longer axels and I asked why. He said with my tires out past the fenders it puts a lot of stress on the bearings and they will go bad fast because his dad had that happen.

I said we'll the rear tires are not out past the quarters why would I need longer ones? He said no the front with the spacers, I told him its rwd not fwd he said oh what is it. I just acted like I got a phone call, thank god he only changes tires.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

- GT1-1 Camshaft

- Ported/Polished throttle body

- Lingenfelter air intake

- 160 degree thermostat

- Kooks stainless headers

- Magnaflow exhaust no cats Xpipe

- Monster Stage 3

- 4.10 Gear

- Drag Bags/ Anti wheel hop axles

Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #555
Hitman9

2005 GTO Owner

I get this every once in a while. Mostly from the old school hotrodders from way back, especially at the track..its like its my fault for not restoring or buying a 67 model. It can get annoying, its not a "REAL" GTO...I get the point. I just tell them its more like a pissed off Grand Prix and go on with my low 12 sec pass.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #556
Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious Nick...View Post
I just say Holden Monaro, now.

I want to do the Holden conversion just to mess with idiots.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #557
NinjaBall
I just fly real low

2005 GTO Owner

Just in case some were wondering... lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800px-MelissaSecondShoot266r.jpg (112.2 KB, 204 views)
2010 Ford F-150 long bed quad cab; The Toy Hauler
2008 Honda CBR1000RR; My Street Bike
2011 Suzuki GSX-R 600; The Wifey's Street Bike
2006 Honda CBR600RR; My Track Bike
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600; Wifey's Track Bike
Old 01-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #558
nomiss05

The drive thru guy at jack in the box said " whoa that must be fast, my speed thingy only goes to 160. yours goes to 200" i just smiled and said "yea its not too bad"

next day at work a guy says "thats not a muscle car, they dont make muscle cars anymore" I asked what he considered a muscle car- "rwd, huge horse power, manual, load exhaust. I just got my phone out, googled the specs of a stocker and handed him my phone, he apologized.

and my absoluet FAVORITE one- sitting at a light with my window down, this man pulls up in a stock GT mustang, llate 2000's model. he says "GTO huh?" so I figure old dude had cars in the day and would be a fun lil chat waiting for green. So I say "yup I love it" he says "too bad it isnt a 'real' GTO" ( I hear this all the time and just say "weird, i didnt know i had an imaginary car") so I just look at his mustang and say "nice mustang, I'd run ya for pinks but I'd rather own a "real" mustang" and then burry my foot into the throttle and sit at 5000 rpms for a few seconds. his face was priceless when he head the exhaust open up. he gave a thumbs up and we left.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #559
NinjaBall
I just fly real low

2005 GTO Owner

Dumbest one I have had was a local mechanic who has built his fair share of race cars actually asked if it was a V6 as I pulled up with catless Kooks, Corsa exhaust and cam... He can't figure out why doesn't get my car to work on.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #560
Hitman9

2005 GTO Owner

Funny thing is I own them both. Talk about confusion. I'm just a Pontiac kind of guy. I tell people my wife's car is faster. The other day I went to a birthday party with my wife and she took her car as well and I so happened to have the kids in the back of my car. After we got parked and everyone was outside, talking about how good my car sounded. I just told them "Didn't you see me get my kids and birthday gifts out of that thing?...Family car son."

The wifes...

Mine

Last edited by Hitman9; 01-01-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #561
Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaBall...View Post
Dumbest one I have had was a local mechanic who has built his fair share of race cars actually asked if it was a V6 as I pulled up with catless Kooks, Corsa exhaust and cam... He can't figure out why doesn't get my car to work on.

An LS sounds like an LS... no matter what its in... Mazda RX-7, S2000, etc.

If you can't recognize the sound of an LS you do not deserve to work on cars.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #562
weissadam24

I was helping my neighbor shovel and clean his driveway. After we were done with his he politely helped me dig mine out. As we were finished, sipping a beer in the garage. He asks "hey why is this one always parked inside, I thought these Grand Am's did well in the snow? I smiled and started in on the history. Didn't make me upset one bit to talk about my car!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #563
Shawshank
Cyclone Gray Moneypit

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by weissadam24...View Post
I was helping my neighbor shovel and clean his driveway. After we were done with his he politely helped me dig mine out. As we were finished, sipping a beer in the garage. He asks "hey why is this one always parked inside, I thought these Grand Am's did well in the snow? I smiled and started in on the history. Didn't make me upset one bit to talk about my car!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

That's pretty awesome haha. I feel the same way when people ask! My wife just loves when I start talking about the Goat

The stories here are awesome. I had a buddy a little while back ask me if my GTO was a Ford. Too bad we were on the phone
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #564
GT0FAST

2006 GTO Owner

One time I was with my buddy got to a red light, and an old Malibu pulls up like a 197x. At least it looked liked it not to sure. He says "nice car" I replied "thanks. So then he tells me those have 500horsepower huh. Lol Then he said it sucks they only made them front wheel drive. My friend and I just look at each other. So I told him no man it's rwd. He said oh you did a conversion lmao. Where is this guy getting his info!? Then I told him no dude never made a 500hp fwd drive. He kept insisting. Lightt turned green then had to go lol pretty funny though.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #565
redtan

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
It can get annoying, its not a "REAL" GTO...I get the point.

Next time someone says that, ask them if they own a "real" GTO. If they say yes, then say "Oh so you own a Ferarri right? Because that is the real GTO. Your '67 GTO is just a Pontiac Tempest with a big engine". See what they say, but from experience they get all fussy and tend to shut the smurf up afterwards.
The cylinder heads became deformed because the air filter was so dirty they couldnt handle all the build up of air and oil coming through the air filter and the throttle body so i tried replacing the air tube with a cold air intake and i think the extra power blew out the cylinder heads and they crashed through valley pan into the crank. Then the crank spun hard and threw the pistons up to hard to cause a misfire

Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #566
smitty2919

2004 GTO Owner

I never get look or anyone even questioning the car.

They either know what it is or have no clue. But a 04 QSM with L/T's catless mids and stock 04 catback is not really a head turner either lol.

When I was running L/T's catless and dual 3" with no muffler, yea that sound turned heads!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #567
gvernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawShank...View Post
I had a buddy a little while back ask me if my GTO was a Ford. Too bad we were on the phone

My one buddy thought my gto was a mustang, this was after he had been in the car 10-15 times. I understand that not everyone knows or cares to know about cars, but come on.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #568
theredgoat

2005 GTO Owner

A guy I work with said "That's not a real GTO, that's a girls car." I asked him if he wanted to run whatever he had, he said no I have my wife's minivan so I just laughed. One day we were going to lunch and I asked him if he wanted to ride with me in my "girl car" and he said okay. I get to a light and leave pretty hard and kept in it till I hit 4th and let off. Once he caught his breath he asked me what was in it and couldn't believe how quick it was. He told the guys at work it wasn't a girls car and couldn't stop talking about it for the rest of the day.

I get the guys at gas stations all the time that ask me if its fast. I just nod my head and say "yeah she'll move."
Lovells bushings
MGW-P
Vararam
JBA L/Ts with catted mids
SLP LM1 cat back with x pipe
Tuned by Josh @ Spartan performance
Driven everyday
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #569
Dustpunk
Beast Mode!

2006 GTO Owner

Yesterday I overheard two younger guys talking about my car in the parking lot, one was explaining how it was a Grand Am and how it must be a special edition. I decided to ignore them and let my exhaust do the talking.

"My car is like my own personal universe, she's my drug and it only takes twelve bucks to fill 'er up"
Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #570
b4z
Official Dragon Straightner

2006 GTO Owner

Ferrari made a GTO? Copycats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: