NorCal Track Day - Page 2 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > Regional Forums > North Western

Old 12-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #31
TCorzett
www.norcalgoats.com

Other Holden/HSV

Had some great conversations with people at the Holiday party last night. Found a couple more people who are forward to getting on track!

-Todd...

Old 12-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #32
TCorzett
www.norcalgoats.com

Other Holden/HSV

Added some track guides to the second post. Also posted links to each group's tech inspection form. I'll do a more complete write-up on the rules/flags/tech soon, but since each everyone has their own nuances I'm holding-off until we decide on an event.

-Todd...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #33
City Goat
Missing my little one.

Premium Member

You rock, Todd.
| 08 Bullitt #3489 | KW V3 Coilovers | Stoptech ST-40 BBK | Strano Sways | MM Panhard Bar | MGW | Obnoxiously Loud |

GONE:
09 Saab 9-7X Aero | 67 Lotus 7 | 04 C5 Z06 Z16 | 04 GTO - 429whp |
Old 12-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #34
Hogtos

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Hey Todd, good talking to you and others at the Christmas party about this upcoming event(s)! I agree with you the enthusiasm is really building as many of us have wanted to either do this for the first time or return to the track for the fun and camaraderie. Count me in for sure this year but a little closer to springtime as I have some other car-goals underway. Anything I can do to help, goes without saying.

Last edited by Hogtos; 12-17-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #35
ls2weber
36 35 15.5 121 45 9.9

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to ls2weber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtos...View Post
Hey Todd, good talking to you and others at the Christmas party about this upcoming event(s)! I agree with you the enthusiasm is really building as many of us have want to either do this for the first time or return to the track for the fun and camaraderie. Count me in for sure this year but a little closer to springtime as I have some other car-goals underway. Anything I can do to help, goes without saying.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

+1 with Collin on time and really looking forward to this.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #36
Ivman
Carbon Feaver

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to Ivman
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlively11...View Post
Wow, no shit ? I need to find out if my Farmers policy covers non timed events. I have four tires sitting right here ready to roll. I would totally be down for a track day especially Laguna Seca. My car has a lot of good suspension mods done to it and I think it would be a lot of fun with good tires. Can you run regular street radials too ?

They definitely don't. Ask me how I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlively11...View Post
Maybe not anymore it seems

Yep.
Looks: 32%/4% Front/Rear Tint, Jamesbiz Arrowheads, SCSS Gauges

GoFast: 122HH, 228/236 116lsa Cam, ARH 1 7/8th LT's, Catless, 3in Magnaflows, Billet, SCSS Mounts, KWv3's, Hotchkis Sways, HD Endlinks, Lovells RR Bushings, SS Brake Lines, BMR Skid Plate, IW 8rib, Hex Clutch, SS Clutch Lines/Bleeder, RPM 5 T56, BMR Alum DS, EE Catch Can, Harrop diff cover, BMR Half Shafts

477hp/476ft-lbs @ 9.92psi (pre cam / LT's / exhaust / pulley)
Old 12-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #37
flink
Has stiffer springs

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivman...View Post
Ask me how I know.

How do you know?

Old 12-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #38
raygnicky
Mr.CGM / Team G.P Performace

2006 GTO Owner

bump

GTO #1
Cyclonic Rabbit

Mods : Trick flow heads & cam | Fast 102 | L.T.'s | Vararam | UDP | 3.91's | 3600 Stall | 610 lbs diet

485/441
10.993 @ 122.90 1.55 60ft E.T. Streets @ sac
best 60 1.51 @ sac
street weight 3075 lbs
Race weight 2975 lbs.
Diablo tuned myself

GTO #2
2006 CGM M6

Mods : Ported 243's | VRX5 | Fast 92 | Long-tubes | Vararam | UDP |

494/452 SD Tune
11.70 @ 119.42 1.81 60ft @ Sonoma

street weight 3440 lbs
Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #39
05TREXLS2
Don't Claim Power If UCANTMPH

2005 GTO Owner

Looking forward to getting some road racing in this coming year!

2005 QSM/Black GTO A4 LS2

Dynotuned by Nick/Newtech for 91 octane , VR Ported Fast Intake, Ported TB, Insulated Vararam W/ IAT Breakout, Performabuilt Pro Race 4L65E, PTC Stall, Comp Cam based on MS3, '650 Lift Dual Valve Springs w/ Titanium Retainers, Comp Pushrods, Powerbond Pulley, Coated Pacesetter's, Catted Mid Pipe, X Pipe, SLP 160, BP Catch Can, NGK TR6's, Taylor 10.4's, Protected by Redline, Monitored Via Torque Pro
11.49 @ 117.8MPH best 118.62, 1.75 60' on 255 Toyo TQ's

Old 12-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #40
Ivman
Carbon Feaver

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to Ivman
Quote:
Originally Posted by flink...View Post
How do you know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_-HhtdwjXI

Haha, exactly.

I haven't been to the track in the GTO since.

To clarify, this is not the reason why I haven't been to the track, though....
Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #41
TCorzett
www.norcalgoats.com

Other Holden/HSV

Happy New Year!
Now that the celebrations are over, time to get back on-track...

HoD has added dates to their schedule so I'll update the list soon.

It looks like NASA is planning on running 4 HPDE groups at Sonoma on Sat/Sun Feb 9-10th. Pricing has not yet been posted, but I'll keep an eye-out. I'll add the additional info on HPDE run groups to the schedule as well.

For those wanting to drive at Sonoma, especially those new to driving on-track, would you be interested in attending the Friday, Feb 22nd Hooked on Driving event? Based on some conversations I think this could be the best choice for a first event. The price is $350 (but if I know how many people are going I might be able to work-out a discount).

-Todd...
Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #42
2004KID
Premium Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCorzett...View Post
Happy New Year!

It looks like NASA is planning on running 4 HPDE groups at Sonoma on Sat/Sun Feb 9-10th. Pricing has not yet been posted, but I'll keep an eye-out. I'll add the additional info on HPDE run groups to the schedule as well.

For those wanting to drive at Sonoma, especially those new to driving on-track, would you be interested in attending the Friday, Feb 22nd Hooked on Driving event? Based on some conversations I think this could be the best choice for a first event. The price is $350 (but if I know how many people are going I might be able to work-out a discount).

-Todd...

I would be down for being a Spectator and taking vids and Pics of the guys going down the track. Put me in as tentative at this point but that sounds like a lot of fun. I have not been to an Auto X since the last Time with Ike and James when he had his G8 before the wreck.

Best E.T. to date 11.93@114MPH
Hoosier Quick Time ET Slicks and MT Skinnies
Special Thanks to Raygnicky for all his help to make these times possible and to all my Buddies in our group!!
Also thanks to ACE for loaning me his skinnies.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #43
05TREXLS2

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCorzett...View Post
Happy New Year!

-Todd...

Friday will be tough to get off work...
Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #44
City Goat
Missing my little one.

Premium Member

Traveling for work the week of the 22nd...outsies for that date.

Golden Gate Lotus club has some VERY attractive Laguna Seca dates coming up that I will ABSOLUTELY be going to some of.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #45
TCorzett
www.norcalgoats.com

Other Holden/HSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GOATLS2...View Post
Friday will be tough to get off work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Goat...View Post
Traveling for work the week of the 22nd...outsies for that date.

Good to know, thanks guys.

-Todd...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #46
csucguy18

2005 GTO Owner

I got 1-day track pass from my fiancee for Xmas and im super pumped! Its going to be my first time out on the track. I'll have to go look at the cert. but i think its for NASA. I'd love to take my car out to the track with other NorCal members sometime this spring!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #47
TCorzett
www.norcalgoats.com

Other Holden/HSV

Updated the NASA and HoD events on the list. Also added some pricing/run group information on the TrackMaster events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csucguy18...View Post
I got 1-day track pass from my fiancee for Xmas and im super pumped! Its going to be my first time out on the track. I'll have to go look at the cert. but i think its for NASA. I'd love to take my car out to the track with other NorCal members sometime this spring!

Awesome! Double-check the information on your pass, it would be great to have an event you can use it at. Do you have a preference for tracks? Would you be able to do a weekday event or would a Saturday/Sunday be better? Are you interested in a 2-day event? What are your thoughts about a track day in the spring/fall (with the potential of rain) vs. one in the hotter summer months?

-Todd...
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #48
The Yeti
Done modding... For Now...

Todd sign me up for the Friday Feb 22nd event...

2008 G8 GT Sports/Premium Package W/Roof
Just an 11 sec NA grocery getter
Heads/Cam/Stall/Gears
Every bolt on under the sun

April 2011 G8 of the Month
June 2012 G8 of the Month
April 2013 G8 of the Month
@G8BOARD.COM
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #49
TCorzett
www.norcalgoats.com

Other Holden/HSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti...View Post
Todd sign me up for the Friday Feb 22nd event...

Sounds good; that day works well for me too. I'll send you some information on registration for that event.

It might also be fun to check-out the NASA event on either the 9th or 10th to see how a track day is run. It also looks like they are doing a "Hyperdrive" session some might be interested in:

Quote:
A NASA membership is NOT required for this. Hyperdrive is intended for new drivers that do not want to commit to a full day (although anyone can sign up) . Drivers will receive a classroom session followed by an on track session. You will drive your own car with a NASA Instructor riding in the passenger seat. Knowledge of the flags and other on-track rules is NOT required. Our instructors will guide you every step of the way.

For those who can't make the 2/22 HoD date, don't worry... there will be others. Look at the schedule and propose an event that will work with you and we'll try to get a group together. From other's comments the NASA events will likely have good participation.

-Todd...
Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #50
The Yeti
Done modding... For Now...

I will do the hyper drive session too
Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #51
mr_ro_co

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Todd, we talked at the xmas party. I am also interested in the HoD event on Feb 22nd. I've taken the beginner and advanced sessions and been on a few passing days with NWARC at Pacific Raceway in the Seattle area.

Steve
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 AM   #52
05TREXLS2

2005 GTO Owner

I am thinking about the Nasa event on Sunday, Feb 10th...
Old 01-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #53
TCorzett
www.norcalgoats.com

Other Holden/HSV

NASA posted pricing/run group information for the February 9-10th event (LINK).

Quote:
One-Day HPDE-1 $195
One-Day HPDE-2 $179
One-Day HPDE-3 $195
One-Day HPDE-4 $179
Two-Day HPDE-2/3/4 $329

Hyperdrive - $99 (Saturday 2/9) *No membership required*

Flink, City Goat, Bill... are you planning on attending the NASA event at Sonoma on Feb 9-10th?

The NASA HPDE events require a NASA membership ($45 annual). There is a basic description of the NASA HPDE Run Groups. People who have never driven on track before would be in HPDE-1, those with some experience (point by passing) would likely be in HPDE-2. If you think you should be in HPDE-3 I'll leave that for you/NASA to determine (see this survey).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti...View Post
I will do the hyper drive session too

The Hyperdrive session is $99 ($45 NASA membership not required) and is being offered on Saturday, Feb 9th. The full HPDE-1 run group for a single day is ~$100 more (+$45 membership) for 3-4x more time on track.

Now that the pricing information is out for the NASA event, we might want to reconsider that weekend (one or two day) vs. the HoD event on Feb 22nd. The price for both is similar for the amount of time-on-track, but the NASA event is spread over two days. For those wanting a one day Sonoma track day at a minimal cost the NASA event is likely the best deal for beginning drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_ro_co...View Post
Todd, we talked at the xmas party. I am also interested in the HoD event on Feb 22nd. I've taken the beginner and advanced sessions and been on a few passing days with NWARC at Pacific Raceway in the Seattle area.

Steve, great to see you post in the thread. The Feb 22nd HoD event looks like a good one for those who are available. As I said above, now that the NASA pricing/information is available we might want to consider that event. Would you be able to attend the NASA on Feb 9-10th?

Quote:
I am thinking about the Nasa event on Sunday, Feb 10th...

One-day HPDE-1 group is available for Sunday and would be a great option. If there are people who want to do the Hyperdrive (only offered Saturday) there might be more people around the track that day. Would you be able to do a one-day on Saturday?

What are everyone's thoughts?

I've been flip-flopping on this the past few days... but my feeling right now would be for us to try and do the NASA event. Those who only wanted a single day can do that (on a weekend for less money than the other track days). Those who want more track time (at a similar cost to the HoD event) can do both days. For those who just want to get their feet wet there's the Hyperdrive option on Saturday as well.

If I do two days at the NASA event I'd probably not do the Feb 22nd HoD event (as a driver). If we have people who would prefer the HoD event I'd likely just do a one-day at NASA (Saturday or Sunday based on when more people would be going) so I can still do the HoD event.

-Todd...

PS - Everyone who is considering one of these February events... take a look at the tech inspection sheets. Nothing is too crazy, but it's just something to remember not to put-off until the last minute.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #54
csucguy18

2005 GTO Owner

Checked out my gift certificate... its for HoD. I would be interested in the 2/22 Sonoma event and im sure it would be a great first track experience. I would also be interested in any HoD events at ThunderHill due to its proximity to Chico. I need to check the calendar and see what dates could work.

Only tentative at this point, but would prefer single day events on friday or saturday.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #55
05TREXLS2

2005 GTO Owner

What exactly do you get with the hyperdrive session? I might be able to do that Saturday instead of Sunday...
Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #56
TCorzett
www.norcalgoats.com

Other Holden/HSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by csucguy18...View Post
Checked out my gift certificate... its for HoD. I would be interested in the 2/22 Sonoma event and im sure it would be a great first track experience. I would also be interested in any HoD events at ThunderHill due to its proximity to Chico. I need to check the calendar and see what dates could work.

Only tentative at this point, but would prefer single day events on friday or saturday.

Great to know. HoD has a few events that should work well for you. I know I really want to get out to Thunderhill for a Saturday/Sunday event at some point this year.

Quote:
What exactly do you get with the hyperdrive session? I might be able to do that Saturday instead of Sunday...

UPDATED: The Hyperdrive is a 45 minute "25mph" session with an instructor at lunch and a 20min "at speed" session with an instructor in the afternoon. It would be similar to the first session of a HPDE-1 track day with the addition of the lunch session. Passing will be very minimal, so mostly a lead-follow situation. The cost/time is higher than a HPDE-1, but is overall lower than a full HPDE-1 day. The nice thing about the 45min "25mph" session is you'll get a good understanding of the proper driving line (and Sonoma is a technical track). For this reason alone I'm considering doing it (in addition to the HPDE).

If you don't know if you want to do a HPDE, the Hyperdrive is a great way to get out on the track and get a feel for things. If you know you're interested in doing a track-day... I'd would start with at least the one-day HPDE-1 event. It's a little more expensive (total cost), but you'll learn much more over the course of the day. You'll be able to talk with the instructor between sessions and apply what you learn in the next session. It will also prepare you for solo driving (learning flags, etc.) that will likely not be done in the Hyperdrive. Also, 15-20min will fly by extremely quickly (6-8 laps). It's almost like making a single pass down the drag strip and calling it a day!

-Todd...

Last edited by TCorzett; 01-11-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #57
City Goat
Missing my little one.

Premium Member

Signing up for DE3 Sonoma Feb 9-10 right now. I'm 99.9% sure Andrew and Bill will be attending as well.

***To anyone attending NASA Events...I highly recommend getting your car tech inspected BEFORE the event. In the Northeast, NASA does it for you at the event free of charge...here in the Northwest they charged Snowairg and myself $30 each for a look-over.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #58
TCorzett
www.norcalgoats.com

Other Holden/HSV

Quote:
Signing up for DE3 Sonoma Feb 9-10 right now.

Awesome! Looks like I need to start a list of who is attending what events...

Quote:
I'm 99.9% sure Andrew and Bill will be attending as well.

That would be great... I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to check-out their cars.

Quote:
To anyone attending NASA Events...I highly recommend getting your car tech inspected BEFORE the event. In the Northeast, NASA does it for you at the event free of charge...here in the Northwest they charged Snowairg and myself $30 each for a look-over.

I would agree 100%. There are quite a few places that will do the tech... and getting it done before the event gives you the piece of mind that your car is ready for the track (rather than finding out that your brake pads need to be replaced the morning of the event).

For the new drivers I'll put together a quick list of the things you need to do (registration, tech, read-up on the rules, flags, etc.).

Todd...
Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #59
05TREXLS2

2005 GTO Owner

Where can you get your car teched before the event?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #60
TCorzett
www.norcalgoats.com

Other Holden/HSV

Quote:
Where can you get your car teched before the event?

NASA has a long rule book with specifics for HPDE:

Quote:
How do I get my car inspected?
1. Please inspect your car closely before taking it to a tech shop.
2. Look over the various tech inspection stations and select one (note: see #11 below). They are listed in order of area code.
3. Do not show up at the shops without an appointment. They are very busy and may not be able to accommodate you.
4. If you choose to tech your car at the track, you must:
A - Pay the $40 late tech fee, and
B - Have your car ready for tech at 7:00 AM, whether you reregistered or not.
5. NASA, SCCA, PCA, BMW, VARA, CSRG, IMSA, GA, and FIA road race cars may be exempt from tech inspection.
The vehicle's logbook must be presented to a tech inspector at the track. If the log book is not present, the vehicle must go through tech and you must pay the $40 tech at track fee. [Note: The vehicle MAY need to be inspected if the logbook notations indicate corrections are needed.]
6. Call early (2 weeks before the event is recommended). The inspection should take about 10 minutes, and it is free.
7. This is an important inspection, as it could save your life and you car from damage.
8. The tech shop will inspect your car using a tech sheet that they keep on hand. If you would like a copy of a Tech Inspection Form before hand, you may download one from the web site.
9. The authorized inspection locations are as follows: Tech Inspectors
10. The tech shops have the tech forms, however it is best to download one ahead of time:Tech Form
11. If you have a car with unmodified safety equipment, in particular seat belts, seat, seat mounting and no additional safety equipment, such as a roll bar, then you may have any auto shop* stamp your tech form. * “Any auto shop” means an auto shop with a BAR registration number. In other words, if you haven’t added any safety equipment, nor modified safety items such as the seat and belts, then you can have any auto shop stamp your form.

Here is a list of the places in the area for race cars or if you don't meet the requirements for #11.

-Todd...

PS - This is the sort of information I'll be putting together into a checklist in the next few days.

Last edited by TCorzett; 01-08-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: