Spintech - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Exhaust

Old 01-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
AllRyse

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to AllRyse
Spintech

Finally decided on a catback. It was a hard decision. Contemplated the magnaflow competition,corsa,exhaust depot and spintech. The magnaflow and corsa double the exhaust depot/spintech pricing so that was a deciding factor. Also I'm not a fan of the corsa sound. Exhaust depot never got back to me so I guess they didn't want my money. So spintech here I come!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
psycho1000r
1 LITER DUC EATER

2005 GTO Owner

i didnt see bassani in your search! did you search marylandspeed?

Kooks Signature Series stepped LTs, Bassani cat back, Magnaflow X-pipe, Svede OTRCAI, P.P TB and Intake, AI ported 226cc 243 heads, Lunati custom cam, CSP tuned, SLP UDP, LS7 clutch, GMM street: 475/409
Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
1QWIK7

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to 1QWIK7
what other mods do you have or planning to do??

If you plan on keeping it catback only, spintech was a great choice. Great sound, even when everything else is stock. Now if you're planning on doing long tubes in the future, combined with the spintech and it might be too loud for you.

I have a spintech now and im doing long tubes next month so ill have to live with the loudness til i decide to cam my car, then ill be switching up exhausts.

But you'll be happy with it, even if i know i gained probably 0hp from it, im glad i spent the money for the sound lol
Old 01-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
AllRyse

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho1000r...View Post
i didnt see bassani in your search! did you search marylandspeed?

I looked at TONS of different setups. Bassani definitely was one of them. I thought it sounded decent, pretty much like the 2.5 magnaflow catback. Especially after headers and a real x-pipe. I just didn't think it was loud enough, or the tone I'm looking for. Not knocking it at all because I definitely considered it.

I looked at spintech,I eat my own poo.,getting a custom catback with xr-1's/pypes m80's/magnapacks,sweet thunder,dynomax bullets,corsa sport,kooks street screamer/afterburner with an x,both magnaflows and a few others I can't remember.

Last edited by AllRyse; 01-16-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
psycho1000r
1 LITER DUC EATER

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllRyse...View Post
I looked at TONS of different setups. Bassani definitely was one of them. I thought it sounded decent, pretty much like the 2.5 magnaflow catback. Especially after headers and a real x-pipe. I just didn't think it was loud enough, or the tone I'm looking for. Not knocking it at all because I definitely considered it.

i hear ya. you probably saw my videos if its the X pipe one, the black GTO? its is very quiet if your all stock. my bud has spintech, sounds good, but very different soud then my set up. more of an old school sound vs my new school sound. im having an H pipe put on mine now, just wanna change it up a bit. see if it makes any difference.
you'll love the spintech
Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
AllRyse

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIK7...View Post
what other mods do you have or planning to do??

I'm pretty much stock right now with just a k&n. I do plan on getting headers. Another reason I decided on the spintech versus lets say a corsa for example, is if it gets unbearably loud I can just cut out the spintechs and weld something else in without being afraid of hacking up a thousand dollar catback.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
AllRyse

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho1000r...View Post
i hear ya. you probably saw my videos if its the X pipe one, the black GTO? its is very quiet if your all stock. my bud has spintech, sounds good, but very different soud then my set up. more of an old school sound vs my new school sound. im having an H pipe put on mine now, just wanna change it up a bit. see if it makes any difference.
you'll love the spintech

I'm pretty sure I've seen yours. The one in the garage of you in your cute pajamas lol. Or the one under the car port. Yeah I love the x pipe, although the h sounds good too.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
psycho1000r
1 LITER DUC EATER

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've seen yours. The one in the garage of you in your cute pajamas lol. Or the one under the car port. Yeah I love the x pipe, although the h sounds good too.

lol, they were running pants!!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
AllRyse

2005 GTO Owner

Well you just so happened to be walking, so they were pajamas.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
TXLS1GOAT

Im going with spintech as well. getting the pair of pro mufflers from marylandspeed.

here is my brothers old 05' doing a flyby with LT's and spintechs in 04 location

fuarking nasty IMO.

-Quality Tuned/BC Coils/Custom Intake/Pacesetters/Spintechs/224r/SLP 160
-315rwhp/335rwtq (Tune Only)

Last edited by TXLS1GOAT; 01-19-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
1QWIK7

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
I'm pretty much stock right now with just a k&n. I do plan on getting headers. Another reason I decided on the spintech versus lets say a corsa for example, is if it gets unbearably loud I can just cut out the spintechs and weld something else in without being afraid of hacking up a thousand dollar catback.

Thats true.

There is a member here with a spintech catback and kooks LTs with CATTED mids and it sounds absolutely amazing. I hope to replicate that sound when i do my long tube install next month. Although i dont have a spintech xpipe i have a magnaflow xpipe so we'll see.

If you get catless mids it will be really loud, almost raspy loud, especially with the spintechs.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
AllRyse

2005 GTO Owner

That gto does sound amazing!

I definitely will be getting catted mids, every goat I hear without cats sounds bad in my opinion, except for the regular magnaflow catback.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
GannyGoat
Transplanted Sooner...

2005 GTO Owner

I have Spintechs in the '04 location along with Dynatech longtubes, catless mids and an h-pipe. To me it's not all that loud...although my basis for 'loud' comparison is my dad's old '69 428 Cobra Jet Torino with headers, h-pipe, no mufflers and dumps at the rear axle. Deep, loud, obnoxious, and one of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard.

I prefer the sound of no cats vs. cats, but that's subjective. My thought is you'll love the Spintechs, but make sure you have them welded in the '04 location for a deeper, better sounding exhaust note (again, just my opinion)...
TSP 402 w/"mild cam", LS3 top end, Dynatech 1-3/4 headers catless mids, Magnaflow Competition 3" S/S with X-pipe, Speed Inc tune, Svede intake, FLT Street Performance T-56, Monster Level 2 Clutch w/18lb flywheel, GForce 1320 3.5-inch aluminum driveshaft, GForce 1320 Level 1 Anti-Wheel Hop half shafts, DSS inner stubs, Eaton TruTrac, Motive 3.91's, Harrop diff cover, Monroe GT struts/springs, Kings HD front/HD rear springs, Whiteline sways, 19x8 Polished 5th Gen Camaro wheels.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
BLK_GOAT5.7

2004 GTO Owner

Just had my spintechs installed last week x-pipe and catless. Really liked the sound, then a couple of days ago got my long tubes on and world of difference. It is raspy but I like it. I have a 04 and surprisingly quiet on the inside. You will be happy, my favorite exhaust from what I have heard.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
AllRyse

2005 GTO Owner

I think I will be very happy just like you guys. The only thing I don't know is if I'm gonna buy the mufflers,x-pipe and tips and take them to a shop, or just get the catback from maryland speed. I've searched here and seen all the issues with spintech fitment and that its best to get it welded,etc. Plus I don't like their 4 inch tips. Atleast with a custom shop doing it, I'd know it's not going anywhere, and I can get the corsa/magnaflow style tips I want. Opinions?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
AllRyse

2005 GTO Owner

I've seen that video a dozen times. As well as the other ones of that same car, and every magnapack video on youtube. Don't get me wrong it sounds good, I just think spintech sounds alot better and about half the price.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #17
GannyGoat
Transplanted Sooner...

2005 GTO Owner

I bought the mufflers and tips and had a local exhaust shop weld everything up for way less than $500.00 for everything. The big benefit of the catback is that everything is mandrel-bent for a smoother flow for both 2.5 and 3" piping options, versus the crimps and inconsistent 2.5" diameter of the stock piping.

I'm not looking to squeeze every last hp out of my exhaust, I already had my h-pipe, and I am a poor bastard, so I opted to do mufflers and tips and have them welded in...
Old 01-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #18
SkiPopeye36
Super Moderator

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIK7...View Post
Thats true.

There is a member here with a spintech catback and kooks LTs with CATTED mids and it sounds absolutely amazing. I hope to replicate that sound when i do my long tube install next month. Although i dont have a spintech xpipe i have a magnaflow xpipe so we'll see.

If you get catless mids it will be really loud, almost raspy loud, especially with the spintechs.

You have the axle-back's, correct? You plan to change to the catback or move the mufflers to the 04 position? I've had both configurations on my 06 and the sound is completely different based upon where you place the mufflers. The sound is much deeper and less raspy in the 04 position vs with the axlebacks. On the throttle produces lots of tinny metallic rasp with the axlebacks. Moving them to the 04 position eliminates all of this and gives out a nice deep loud roar.

Kooks LT's, Catted Mids, H-pipe and Spintech Axleback:
Kooks LT's, Catted Mids, and Spintech 3" Catback with H-Pipe:

Quote:
I think I will be very happy just like you guys. The only thing I don't know is if I'm gonna buy the mufflers,x-pipe and tips and take them to a shop, or just get the catback from maryland speed. I've searched here and seen all the issues with spintech fitment and that its best to get it welded,etc. Plus I don't like their 4 inch tips. Atleast with a custom shop doing it, I'd know it's not going anywhere, and I can get the corsa/magnaflow style tips I want. Opinions?

I just installed the 3" catback last fall on my 06. Fitment is perfect and is rock solid. That said, and with anything that is put together in pieces, you need to slide everything together and slowly begin snugging everything up while routinely checking your alignment and fitment as you go along. You'll run into all sorts of fitment issues if you just bolt the pieces up from front to back.

You don't like the double wall 4" Spintech Tips? Shit. I think they are the best tips I've ever seen on a GTO. I like the fact that the tips are "deep" enough where you can't see them reduce down from the side of the car like you can with most other tips.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spintech.jpg (112.5 KB, 1159 views)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #19
Rauq
is a scrub

2004 GTO Owner

I can't imagine that a complete catback would be cheaper than buying the parts and putting them in yourself... Plus, like you said, you get to pick your tips and everything.

Just make sure that you're very clear with explaining how you wanted everything done. I told a shop I wanted a flange from my header collector to the mids, and a flange from the mids to the catback... and they welded the mids to the header collector. That's what I get for leaving them alone, though, I guess.

1 of 323 IBM/black/M6/04

Torquer V2 112 | SLP LT | BC Racing Coilovers | Hawk HPS | Whiteline bits | Self-tuned with HP Tuners | LS7 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike...View Post
Taking advice from Ford guys is like....well...taking advice from Ford guys. "Hey, lets add 3 more cams so it will make less power and take up more space."

Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
1QWIK7

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPopeye36...View Post
You have the axle-back's, correct? You plan to change to the catback or move the mufflers to the 04 position? I've had both configurations on my 06 and the sound is completely different based upon where you place the mufflers. The sound is much deeper and less raspy in the 04 position vs with the axlebacks. On the throttle produces lots of tinny metallic rasp with the axlebacks. Moving them to the 04 position eliminates all of this and gives out a nice deep loud roar.

Yeah lol unfortunately. Its not that bad though, especially with my magnaflow xpipe. Sound is ALOT better. When i had just the axlebacks, it sounded awesome upon cold startup idle or just idling in general but any type of throttle and it sounded like a dodge truck with a cheap muffler. I didnt like it.

I know already about the 04 location producing a better less raspy sound but right now i just wanna do my long tubes. Then when i cam the car, i'll switch out the exhaust to probably a 3" magnaflow competition.

Quote:
Kooks LT's, Catted Mids, and Spintech 3" Catback with H-Pipe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjkKVAtaHLw

Yeah thats the sound im going for. Although i wont have the H, ill have the X.

You have any driving videos? or any type of video when there's a load on the engine? I wanna hear what that sounds like. Your car sounds awesome. Very hard to find the perfect combo and i know its all opinion but im sure the general public would agree thats a great sounding exhaust.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #21
EDZGTO
Them Freaky Girls!!!

2005 GTO Owner

You'll love it..I had Magnaflow on mine and I was the same way, it was way too quiet for me and I think these cars need to be loud..Every where you go you get comments etc or at least I do but I think others do too..*Note I am not stock so results will be different*

PB: 12/1/13
12.3 @ 113
1.8 60Ft
Fastest MPH 115
Atco Raceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpossinger...View Post
"Driven' Hard..Not Hardly Driven'"

LS1GTO.com aka "The Mother Ship"

2005 IBM M6
Mods??? What Mods???
Old 01-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #22
Bigschwerm
1 of 160 Built

2005 GTO Owner

Sounds great!

“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”
― Winston Churchill
Old 01-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
AllRyse

2005 GTO Owner

That sounds amazing!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #24
miltrez
Worlds slowest modder...

2004 GTO Owner

I am loving my side exit spintechs. They are getting a tad louder (breakin' in?) though. Not gonna complain. I have a quiet DD if need be.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #25
AllRyse

2005 GTO Owner

Is this catback pretty simple to install in my driveway with basic handtools? I'm thinking about having marylandspeed do it.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #26
EDZGTO
Them Freaky Girls!!!

2005 GTO Owner

Re: Spintech

Quote:
Is this catback pretty simple to install in my driveway with basic handtools? I'm thinking about having marylandspeed do it.

I did mine at a buddies garage with hand tools..Of course he had a lift but I cant see any real problems doing it in your driveway..Make sure you have a helping hand to help you

Sent from my Samsung S3 at your girls/wifes house
Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #27
o'doyle
AWWWWW YEAH....

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltrez...View Post
I am loving my side exit spintechs. They are getting a tad louder (breakin' in?) though. Not gonna complain. I have a quiet DD if need be.

Still no sound clips, I don't believe you...

2006 SRM A4 Sold

1993 Red Lightning... Nowhere near stock
Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #28
6PntHo

2006 GTO Owner

I love my Spintech. You made the right choice.
Yes you ca install in your driveway, just make sure you have someone there to help you.

04 Cosmos... 1 of 377... stock rebuilt ls1.. 325/332

06 BOM 1 of 340... Stawk
346/357... 13.1@106
Revised 402 coming soon... MAYBE...
Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #29
AllRyse

2005 GTO Owner

I think so too. Ordered it up last night. I'm assuming it'll be here in a week or so. Might tackle it in my driveway depending on how cold it is. Probably will end up getting it welded so I just might have a shop do it.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #30
1QWIK7

2006 GTO Owner

Wait what did you order? The catback or just the spintech mufflers??

You dont need to weld it in if you ordered the catback, its a bolt in installation. If you ordered just their mufflers, then yes you do need a welder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: