Tech II - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
notransistors

2004 GTO Owner

Tech II

I never understood why even the most die-hard mechanics on this forum are stuck when a Tech II is required for service.
Just looked up the price for such a tool. Four thousand dollars at a discount tool house.
Is this to keep the profits in the hands of the stealerships, or is this gadget packed full of gold bullion?
Seems that we all would really like one for certain.
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Wang
unbanned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Buy a GM Dealership.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
notransistors

2004 GTO Owner

Perhaps when I move to the land of Kangaroos and Wallabys.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Wang
unbanned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

There are Chinese clone Tech2s out there, but for the hobbyist with a single car (or maybe a couple SBC V8 cars), I'd have to strongly recommend a product like HPTuners Pro, in the same price range. Unless you are unlocking radios or swapping modules with the VIN in flash, over and over, a Tech2 is sort of overkill. By comparison, HPTuners allows the enthusiast to have a nearly complete domain over their own car at an affordable (?) price point.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Fox Mulder
Alien Moderator

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Every manufacturer has their own proprietary scan tool, for GM it's the Tech2. Although the OBDII standard is universal for engine/PCM data and you can buy tons of cheap generic scanners for that, communicating with any of the other data modules in the car (and also to access advanced PCM data and functions) requires the Tech2. Some of the functions are available on aftermarket tools like the Snap-On scanners, but those are almost as pricey as the Tech2. That's just how it is.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
TheRocket
I Wanna Go Fast

2005 GTO Owner

Working at a dealership has its perks

2005 Pearl Orange Metallic
PB:12.98@107.1mph
LS3 Intake/Heads - Comp Custom Grind Cam 224/230 .609/.609 113+2 - FTI 3200 Triple Disc - Svede - Lunati - Katech - Cometic - GMPP - SLP - Kooks - MagnaFlow - BC 8/10k Coilovers - Pedders - Whiteline - DBA - Hawk - TSW Cadwells - Goldilocks Splitter - Maverick Man Carbon Spoiler - Morimoto - 06 Tails - Elemental Designs Nine.1 Amp - Phoenix Gold - Hybrid Audio - TC Sounds - Kenwood
Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
lautinjr

2006 GTO Owner

Don't get the problem Tech 2 is availble used these days for around 1200 sometimes cheaper. It's a little out dated and GM is up for something new coming soon. I personnally like the Autel has all the functionality on GM and most other cars specially Euro cars. Even does key programming.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
Kingmanbc
Fear The Goat

2005 GTO Owner

I work at a chevy dealer so I use one whenever I need it brah.

-Buckeye Goats Member
Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
Wang
unbanned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT LOL...View Post
There are some features that ONLY a tech II can do.

For the cost of a Tech2, sometimes it will be more economical for a consumer to take the car to the dealer for that.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Wang
unbanned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT LOL...View Post
That's why the average Joe doent buy a tech II..

OP is rolling in the doughs.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
Trekk

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via MSN to Trekk
They cost a lot, because they make money. Many guys make a pretty decent living just buying a high end scanner, and letting little mom and pop shops call them up when they need a system scanned or programmed.

Rawr!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
KO6GTO
Banned

Lumina SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wang...View Post
OP is rolling in the doughs.

Then op should buy a tech 2 then mail it to me so I can be rolling the in doughs too
Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
Wang
unbanned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO6GTO...View Post
Then op should buy a tech 2 then mail it to me so I can be rolling the in doughs too

He's prolly working on the tube model for more pure performance will the Mallory points ignition upgrade.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
notransistors

2004 GTO Owner

Funny.
I had a Mopar 440 that I re-fitted with a Holley 750 CFM vacuum- secondary and Mallory Dual-Point. My couch-on-wheels New Yorker became a beast. These days, I probably could not afford to feed such a car.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #15
NorySS

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to NorySS
LOL..... 4K + subscription to TIS.

IE if you need to program something (window switch, BCM, etc etc) you need to pay GM a subscription. Cheapest is $55 for 2 days. Gluck
Old 01-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #16
notransistors

2004 GTO Owner

Obviously far from fair that GM has forced the average car owner to depend on a stealership for repairs. And our tax money bailed those pigs out. [OK, not GM of Aussieland.]
Is it even legal?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
04QSGTOMA

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekk...View Post
They cost a lot, because they make money. Many guys make a pretty decent living just buying a high end scanner, and letting little mom and pop shops call them up when they need a system scanned or programmed.

We have a mobil guy that we use that does just that. He has MOST of the major auto brand specific tools. Charges $100 just to show up and $100 an hour after that. He makes a good living at it once all his equipmwent is paid for.
Pedders/Koni/BMR/DBA
RPM LVL 5 T-56
Tick/Gforce1320
SAP front/ DMS bumper and spoiler
Slowhawk tuned 484/455
11.47 @122 4/7/13 NED
SOLD 6/8/13

Winter/Tow truck: 07 TBSS Summit White
KW coilovers lowered rear bags.
Volaint CAI and Magnaflow CB
LS1 E-fans-Brake duct trans cooler
Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #18
CMNTMXR57
Certified Dirty 'Ole Man

2004 GTO Owner

GKNZ47

Send a message via AIM to CMNTMXR57
I own my own Tech2 (with a CANdi module), I am also a former GM Tech, and except for my van, I own all GM vehicles in my personal fleet. So it still gets used pretty much daily. On top of which I help people in local groups with it a lot. So it gets used! I bought mine used also, and then had to repair a few things, in all, I spend $1,500 for mine. Are they cheap? No! But they're stupid cheap compared to some other manufacturer's tools. Go look up a Chrysler DRBIII or Chrysler StarSCAN. When you pick your jaw back up off the floor, the T2 looks like a bargain.

The Tech2 is aged compared to the StarSCAN for instance, but GM (well Vetronix/Bosch that make the T2), is much better thought out tool for future adaptability. The DRBIII was used through 2007 on non-CAN compliant Chrysler vehicles. The StarSCAN replaced it for used on CAN compliant vehicles. So now you have to have 2 scan tools if you're a Chrysler tech. Whereas the GM Tech2, all you need to do is plug in a CANdi module inline, while still using your original tool. Granted there will come a time that the Tech2 will be superceded, but for the money you spend on it, you get a lot more useful life out of it due to the reason I mentioned above.

As to why? There are bi-lateral, diagnostic and troubleshooting functions that a Tech2 can do that HP Tuners cannot. HP Tuners is more for "tuning" and making non-oem adjustments. Can you use it for basic diagostics, yes. But doing injector balance testing, running I/M system tests manually, and commanding stuff on/off while running other tests (just as quick examples), HP Tuners cannot do. The Tech2 can also reflash PCM's, and do other re-learn type functions (more on this in a second). A lot of what you can do with the tool is more limited by what the PCM and vehicles' specific network will allow. For example, I can do a myriad of things on my Cadillac because it's CAN Network supports those features, that my GTO (non-CAN), does not.

The other options such as Snap-On Modus units can do about 95% of the Tech2 capabilities, but they're almost more expensive than a Tech2. If I also recall correctly, the rempovable PROM's for specific manufacturer/vehicles (so you can use them on more than just GM), are also very expensive.

The one downfall with having a Tech2, is that I, as a personal guy, doing it to maintain his own vehicle and as a hobby, cannot do anything such as SPS setups as I do not have access to a terminal like TIS that is linked to the GM Tech Center. So if you put in a new PCM, I can't do the Service Programming System (SPS) setup(s) necessary as that is and requires authorization from GM and I have to download it from GM. I can't do that from my home PC as I don't have access.

Overall, my T2 is like a wrench, I often have it with me at most times for situations where someone needs a code scanned, freeze frame data, or I/M system statuses as well as general live data feeds from the vehicle.

Toy #1: 2004 Pontiac GTO: IBM M6 400+rwhp/400+ lbs/ft rwtq
Engine: Heads, cam, headers, and everything else needed to support it.
Drivetrain: Monster L4, FLT built T56, G-Force 3.5" Driveshaft with 1350 U-Joint conversion.

Toy #2: 2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic 400+rwhp/470+ lbs/ft rwtq
Spectre CAI, 160* t-stat, Magnaflow, Speed Inc. tune, 6K HID's

Daily Driver: 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4: Sunset Gold Metallic
Western 8' UltraMount Pro-Plow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: