Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #3631
TheElementalCashew
Mid-level Boss (again)

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavell...View Post
Read an article on GMhightechperformance.com where they did back to back engine dynos of stock LS3 crate engine, then put some GMPP CNC ported heads on. Not much of an improvement at all, at least not worth shelling out the extra cash.

My question is, would it be worth it to port the LS3 intake when doing the top end swap to an LS2? Or just keep both intake and heads stock and slap 'em on?

Porting is debatable in its gains. It will flow better than the stock LS2 manifold either way though. If you want to save some money on the build, I'd skip it as you won't leave much on the table. FWIW, I did get mine ported.
BC Coilovers, Pedders sway bars, Fast Ratio Steering Rack, Pedders and Kollar bushings.
Jamesbiz, Maverickman, Bohnman, various Monaro pieces.
Old numbers: 367rwhp/358tq

2014 Silverado 1LT Z71, Black

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #3632
Cwarta
MO POWA!

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElementalCashew...View Post
Porting is debatable in its gains. It will flow better than the stock LS2 manifold either way though. If you want to save some money on the build, I'd skip it as you won't leave much on the table. FWIW, I did get mine ported.

I have CNC ported aftermarket castings and a self ported LS3 intake. Hopefully Ill have some #`s soon :/
McLeod rst - prostars - tires - Qa1 coil overs
Custom 4 link 9" SRA

1970 SS Nova - 362ci swapped Lt1 - Cam- t56 - 3:73's - borla - 2,800lbs
Old 01-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #3633
TheElementalCashew
Mid-level Boss (again)

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwarta...View Post
I have CNC ported aftermarket castings and a self ported LS3 intake. Hopefully Ill have some #`s soon :/

I am interested in seeing how your CNC heads do. Like I said, I did the intake and TB, but may do the heads down the road if it is worth it or I go with more cubes.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #3634
Cwarta
MO POWA!

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
I am interested in seeing how your CNC heads do. Like I said, I did the intake and TB, but may do the heads down the road if it is worth it or I go with more cubes.

They probly wont do much, and hopefully DONT hurt me. But I am setup now for about anything I want to throw at it cube wise lol
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #3635
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

Besides camaro5 and corvetteforum, any other large forums to troll for parts that you guys know of?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #3636
TheElementalCashew
Mid-level Boss (again)

2006 GTO Owner

LS1Tech and the G8 board may have some stuff as well.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #3637
Beach Goat
So it goes.

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Read an article on GMhightechperformance.com where they did back to back engine dynos of stock LS3 crate engine, then put some GMPP CNC ported heads on. Not much of an improvement at all, at least not worth shelling out the extra cash.

My question is, would it be worth it to port the LS3 intake when doing the top end swap to an LS2? Or just keep both intake and heads stock and slap 'em on?

It depends on how much you have to spend. You will make great power on stock LS3 heads and intake. If you have some extra cash, there is more power to be found through intelligent porting.

I had stock LS3 intake/heads for a long while, then got both ported and picked up 20+rwhp with the same cam and exhaust. This is when I was on the stock 6.0L block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike...View Post
"Suck my dick" - mistermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbobaggins...View Post
Valve shrouding on a stock motor is fine though, because ultimately you're just going to blow it up anyways, and then bore out the motor. Voila, valve unshrouded.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #3638
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

Someone is selling these: http://paceperformance.com/i-7139127...-assembly.html new for $1k on another forum. Or, I can get brand new OEM regular heads for $600. Not sure if $400 is worth another ~20hp or not...
Old 01-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #3639
TheNewGoat

2006 GTO Owner

I've been debating this swap for a while an have a few questions for the people who have been running this set up for atleast a year. Anything you would do different or would you still stay with the ls3 swap and I'm new to this so flycutting is it ok for the stock pistons or should I upgrade.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #3640
Cwarta
MO POWA!

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Someone is selling these: http://paceperformance.com/i-7139127...-assembly.html new for $1k on another forum. Or, I can get brand new OEM regular heads for $600. Not sure if $400 is worth another ~20hp or not...

Tell that to these guys who Buy FAST intakes. Im sure they would LOVE to only spend $400 for 20hp
Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #3641
TheRocket
I Wanna Go Fast

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGoat...View Post
I've been debating this swap for a while an have a few questions for the people who have been running this set up for atleast a year. Anything you would do different or would you still stay with the ls3 swap and I'm new to this so flycutting is it ok for the stock pistons or should I upgrade.

Maybe. . . almost maybe going a little bit bigger on the cam. I would have done a 227/235 duration with about the same lift on the same LSA instead of a 224/230. But don't get me wrong, it's almost negligible and I have to be honest with myself in that I DD the goat.

I might have considered doing a five angle valve job and maybe some 'intelligent' intake porting on the heads along with porting the intake manifold (not that I can't do that later). I am however happy that I did mil for 63cc chambers and am using a 0.040 gasket. I also did some porting and polishing on the exhaust side to free the ports up some. TQ is amazing down low and I laugh at all those who say this setup is 'soft' down low.

Overall I'm happy with the swap. I had a lot of fun planning it and doing it and I learned a lot. I get crazy GM discounts so it was very affordable for me to do. Once I turn around and sell my old stuff, I think I might almost laugh at the cost.

It's a very affordable and very great setup if you do the right things. Good luck!

2005 Pearl Orange Metallic
PB:12.98@107.1mph
LS3 Intake/Heads - Comp Custom Grind Cam 224/230 .609/.609 113+2 - FTI 3200 Triple Disc - Svede - Lunati - Katech - Cometic - GMPP - SLP - Kooks - MagnaFlow - BC 8/10k Coilovers - Pedders - Whiteline - DBA - Hawk - TSW Cadwells - Goldilocks Splitter - Maverick Man Carbon Spoiler - Morimoto - 06 Tails - Elemental Designs Nine.1 Amp - Phoenix Gold - Hybrid Audio - TC Sounds - Kenwood

Last edited by TheRocket; 01-17-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #3642
TheNewGoat

2006 GTO Owner

Thanks for the answers. How much can u cut from the stock pistons an remain safe.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #3643
TheRocket
I Wanna Go Fast

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the answers. How much can u cut from the stock pistons an remain safe.

Couldn't comment with an exact answer. However, this is also very dependent on the cam you get. I didn't have to fly cut on mine. Others haven't with bigger cams. But you shouldn't have to do it anymore than 0.050.

Remember that 0.080 PTV for the intake and 0.100 PTV for the exhaust is what is considered acceptable and safe.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #3644
TheNewGoat

2006 GTO Owner

Thanks rocket
Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #3645
A_VAS
Complete Street Performance
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2006 GTO Owner

I typically notch them .060 deep and I feel that is plenty safe on a stock LS2 pistons from the measurements I took

GTO rear end parts and rebuilds
Dana Gearsets (OEM Australian)
OEM seals, Timken bearings
Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #3646
Beach Goat
So it goes.

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:

Knowing what I know now, I would have done the following things differently:

1. Never gone with the stock hollow stem valves. They are absurdly thin-walled and failed spectacularly (and catastrophically) where a solid valve would have stayed in one piece and not cost me a motor.

2. Double springs. The intake valves in the LS3 are large, and when you use solid valves the weight is a bit much for some beehive single springs to handle. Valve float can be a problem if you don't have the right spring.

Aside from that, I was happy with the stock LS3 heads, and happy with them ported when I got around to it. I never flycut and still made 470+rwhp on a small (224/230 .5xx lift) cam. I think that flycutting is unnecessary, because you don't need a cam big enough to require flycutting (to make great power with these heads). The heads perform very well with small camshafts, and it really seems like the guys who get larger cams and flycut don't see any substantial horsepower gains over guys who don't. Just seems like a waste of money so you can put a bigger cam in your motor. IMO of course.

LATE EDIT: 3. I also would have put in link bar lifters from the start. I ended up using them and never had a stock one fail me, but it's not something I'd risk again.

Last edited by Beach Goat; 01-18-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #3647
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

I found this article, FYI for anybody looking to see differences between stock LS3 head castings, and different vendors who sell ported versions. They back-to-back dyno'd all of them on the same engine. This may have been posted before in here, but not going to search through every page... Article was written in Feb 2011, so pricing is probably cheaper on some of the items listed.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...t/viewall.html
Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #3648
TheElementalCashew
Mid-level Boss (again)

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
I found this article, FYI for anybody looking to see differences between stock LS3 head castings, and different vendors who sell ported versions. They back-to-back dyno'd all of them on the same engine. This may have been posted before in here, but not going to search through every page... Article was written in Feb 2011, so pricing is probably cheaper on some of the items listed.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...t/viewall.html

I could see the flow numbers and prices being handy, but the actual HP and TQ gains between different heads probably would not be the same on a stock bottom LS2. Their motor used for testing was significantly larger.
On a separate note, some of the prices for those heads are HUGE!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #3649
PBANDPKGTO
Jeffrey Bolger Sucks

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
I've been debating this swap for a while an have a few questions for the people who have been running this set up for atleast a year. Anything you would do different or would you still stay with the ls3 swap

For the net cash out of pocket it is easily the best option...

Different?

I would have replaced the stock GM lifters while I was in there...I would have bought stepped headers...I would have built the trans while it was out...I was happy with my numbers but I should have found a real shop to tune it..I would have put more money into the suspension and gear'd it toward running a faster ET...I would have made a trip to ATCO...I would make more of an effort to get a 10 sec time slip...

L92/L76 Swap, Yella Terras, Tiger Shark Cam (Ed Curtis at Flowtech), Yank ss3600, Kooks stepped, Spintech, Konis, pedders, superpro, noltec

1.583 60' 11.22 at 120.57mph
Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #3650
MuhThugga
Poppycock

2004 GTO Owner

Got my set-up running the other day.

Stock LS3 heads milled .030"
Stock LS3 intake
Lunati cam, 227/235, .6xx/.6xx, 114
Lunati linkbar lifters

Wound up having defective lifters the first time around. Noticed the valves hit on three of the pistons ever so slightly. The deepest mark was not even .005", and the other two marks were only discernible in certain light. Being it was only three and the lifters were defective to begin with, I chalked it up to a loss of valve control, but I still replaced those three intake valves for good measure and flycut the pistons .030" for peace of mind.

She runs. Now it is time to tune.

PROJECT SILVERBACK IS COMPLETE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDCGTO...View Post
Squeezing another 50 rwhp out of one of those setups would be like trying to squeeze the sarcasm out of MuhThugga. . . . . . . . not gonna happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
A Prius is a vehicular dunce cap.

Last edited by MuhThugga; 01-18-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #3651
TheElementalCashew
Mid-level Boss (again)

2006 GTO Owner

She's alive! And yet untuned.

Last edited by TheElementalCashew; 01-20-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #3652
TheElementalCashew
Mid-level Boss (again)

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga...View Post
Got my set-up running the other day.

Stock LS3 heads milled .030"
Stock LS3 intake
Lunati cam, 227/235, .6xx/.6xx, 114
Lunati linkbar lifters

Wound up having defective lifters the first time around. Noticed the valves hit on three of the pistons ever so slightly. The deepest mark was not even .005", and the other two marks were only discernible in certain light. Being it was only three and the lifters were defective to begin with, I chalked it up to a loss of valve control, but I still replaced those three intake valves for good measure and flycut the pistons .030" for peace of mind.

She runs. Now it is time to tune.

Sounds good man! Looks like your cam specs are very similar to mine, it will be interesting to compare our numbers.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #3653
TheElementalCashew
Mid-level Boss (again)

2006 GTO Owner

Mine is 227/238 .6xx .6xx 113
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #3654
AutomaticWpn06
Slow N/A Gto owner

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to AutomaticWpn06
227/235 ftw. Sounds just like my slow setup
11.13@125 1.51 60'

99 GTP
3.4 mps/ZZP 1.0 pcm/4"intake/Plog/3"DP/YT 1.95rr
13.76@98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoddyHog...View Post
Getting the right cam the first time is pretty goddamn boring. Ask SK360...he'll set your ass straight.

l
Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #3655
TheElementalCashew
Mid-level Boss (again)

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticWpn06...View Post
227/235 ftw. Sounds just like my slow setup

Wow, your setup is almost exactly the same as mine, except you are automatic.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #3656
6point0 goat
Yes, I'm a Registered User...

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
She's alive! And yet untuned.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Wx2zkeET8

Dude I need to change by damn boxers after hearing that thing.....sounds absolutely tits man! You're going to love your FTI grind, Im having a hoot with my custom Tiger Shark grind
Show: |6000k Lows/Fogs|TSW Nurburgring|CV8-R Tails|Tinted Markers|PBM Valance|Debadged|Adams|
Handling: |Megan Racing|Hotchkis|Pedders|Lovells|Stoptech|iRotors|S tarSpecs|
1/4 mile: 12.7@109 1.9 60'(Bolt-ons)
"Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races"-Caroll Shelby
Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #3657
TheNewGoat

2006 GTO Owner

Did the price jump on the heads. Or am I not looking in the right place all through this thread it says $350 but I can't find any place that is that cheap any help.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #3658
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

Re: L92 Heads/Info and Owners In Here

Summitracing.com has em for $359 new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #3659
TheElementalCashew
Mid-level Boss (again)

2006 GTO Owner

Cwarta, I saw you are going to the dyno today. Did you ever find 4.10 gears to put on?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #3660
TheElementalCashew
Mid-level Boss (again)

2006 GTO Owner

Also, make sure to take some video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: