I'm only moderately insane (4kw stereo) - Page 3 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Stereo/Electronics

Old 07-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #61
GTOguy531
#fitted

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to GTOguy531 Send a message via Skype™ to GTOguy531
Unlike my other build logs (on other sites) this one appears to have been active while I wasn't paying attention.

I have thought about relocating the tank and cutting out the rear wall. However then I am in the modified class anyway and running 1 15 on close to 4000 watts, and at the cost a wall may be a better solution if I choose to continue competing with this car. I already have a bit of a 3 18s wall in mind... Hmm I guess there will be another build log down the road which ever route I take. I doubt that I will wall the car. At the moment it's too nice to wall. Most likely I will attempt to change the gas tank somehow and run 2 15s on 6000 to 8000 watts. Eventually I would like to do a swap to a corvette or f-body waterpump and alternator set up and get an ortcai. With this position change I could do a dual or triple alternator set up.

6000k HID/LED conversion:

led amber sidemarkers in clear housings

Here are some pics of my quietness:

Holy sag... ok it's not that bad:

Oh and something concerning my brother's GTO's progress:

Other GTO's current state (04/PBM/black)

Headunit: Clarion CX609 with ASWC & Bluetooth handsfree
electrical system: stock 150 amp alternator, 1 Optima yellowtop under the hood
Amps: factory
Speakers: Stock
deadening: ??? on the rear quarterpanels, and trunk floor
other mods: aftermarket mufflers, Enkei EKM3 18" wheels, 05/06 front brake set up, braided brake lines, JHP lip spoiler

eventual plan: APSM1500 bass amp, 1 American Bass XFL 12" sub, false floor style box, eventually American Bass front stage and an APSM 4 channel, and plenty of deadener

Last edited by GTOguy531; 07-20-2012 at 09:47 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #62
Non-Sponsor-Engineering
Banned

Im not sure what your trying to do,you already have a fbody type pump,the moroso electric will give you the most clearance .I dont know what your goal is ,if you want to make some sick bass i can help you do that in your trunk.If you want to win a few local events i can help you do that,if you want to be a world champ,i can help you do that.Each step will require more decimal points but we can do it.You can give me a call after aug 4th,im slamed till then with Camaro 5 fest,after that ill be glad to go over some ideas with you.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #63
GTOguy531
#fitted

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Sponsor-Engineering...View Post
Im not sure what your trying to do,you already have a fbody type pump,the moroso electric will give you the most clearance .I dont know what your goal is ,if you want to make some sick bass i can help you do that in your trunk.If you want to win a few local events i can help you do that,if you want to be a world champ,i can help you do that.Each step will require more decimal points but we can do it.You can give me a call after aug 4th,im slamed till then with Camaro 5 fest,after that ill be glad to go over some ideas with you.

Sounds good. I don't think I am going to do the gas tank relocation for quite some time... atleast more than a year away. But I gladly would like to see what kind of numbers I can get out of my trunk.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #64
GTOguy531
#fitted

2004 GTO Owner

I decided to take some pictures of my car last night. I know they aren't really amazing but still an update on how it looks. I don't remember if I ever included this in this thread but I am now I am running BC br Coilovers with 7k/10k front/rear spring rates. I also have Lovells Shock and Strut bushings

Old 10-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #65
GTOguy531
#fitted

2004 GTO Owner

Some cool pics my brother took a few weeks ago

some of my car and his together

from the Louisville Cars and Coffee

Last edited by GTOguy531; 10-28-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #66
GTOguy531
#fitted

2004 GTO Owner

Ok long time no update...

I had the wall laid out in this car, subs, wire everything and then decided against it. I did finally clean up my amp rack.

So here is a pic of that:

Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #67
GTOguy531
#fitted

2004 GTO Owner

Hmm I guess I have an update. The passengers door had water in it and killed my Pioneer D-series 6.5. So I did the only possible thing and upgraded to Zapco 6.5 inch slim components. they sound so awesome but now I am having a protection issue with my zapco amp so I'm going to inspect that in the morning. Oh and the car is kinda slammed
Old 05-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #68
GTOguy531
#fitted

2004 GTO Owner

With constant issues with my current front stage I am starting to plan how I am going to go all out on the front stage... What I am thinking: In the kick panels fiberglass either 2 6.5" woofers or 2 8" woofers in each, somehow put 2 3.5" midrange speakers in each door either hidden behind the grills or fiberglass the grills smooth and mount them there. For highs I am going to put 2 tweeters in each A-pillar I am not sure whether I will glass them in or what yet, like I said I am planning this still. For power I will probably either go with Hifonics or MB Quart 4 channels and it will be a 100% active set up. Eventually I will go with some high quality SQ speakers but for now I am just going to get either cheap pro audio stuff, or just cheap stuff. Eventually I will get high quality amps as well.

I am also going to go through the substage and finally rebuild the box. This times plan...

keep the Fi SP4 running off of the 3500. Box will be about 4 cubes again probably. What has changed you may be asking? The port is the answer. This time I am going to somehow try to run 2 4" aeroports through the rear shelf. Most likely my peak frequency will be 30-33 hz.

Last edited by GTOguy531; 05-07-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #69
GTOguy531
#fitted

2004 GTO Owner

Oh and my brother and I got bored one day and wanted to see if the stereo could do a hairtrick... and I'll leave the whether it is a hairtrick or not to your judgement. The song is a slowed version of Love Sosa by Chief Keef. I think it peaks around 25 or so hz... Any distortion heard is from the iphone microphone it is loud and clear in person

Last edited by GTOguy531; 05-07-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #70
GTOguy531
#fitted

2004 GTO Owner

I evaluated my front stage issues today. So one tweeter is definitely blown. the crossovers are really an unknown issue. The mids are still good. So I looked at my kicks and I don't think I can do anything more effectively than a single 8 there. I think I am going to try to get RE rex8d4's. So the RE SX's may not have ever played in the car there will be an RE sub playing in it. For tweeters I will probably go with some sort of vifa tweet. I like how the attached vifa tweets look. I like the dayton 3s or vifa 3.5s. If I do a 3 way front stage I think I am going to go with one of the previously posted MB quart OA400.4s and probably a MB Quart ONX2.100 for the RE's. If I go the 4 way route and keep the zapco 6.5s, run the 8s in the kicks, run tweets in the pillars, and a 3-3.5s in the door I will probably use 2 OA 400.4s or maybe 1 400.4 and one more powerful 4 channel. I may glass the 3 or 3.5 into the sail panels if the kicks turn out well and there is not enough space in the stock speaker grill area.

Vifa tweets:http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1018

REs: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io-REX8D4.html

Vifa 3.5s: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1062

Dayton 3s: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-422

I am going to tune my new box fairly low maybe 30ish hz with 2 aeroports through the rear shelf
Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #71
GTOguy531
#fitted

2004 GTO Owner

Update. I think I have changed my amp choices. I leaning towards going with Precision Power PPI BK800.4s. They have a wider range of frequency adjust-ability so I will be able to have the 2 different midranges play in different ranges of sound
Old 05-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #72
ts114

using some very nice equipment there! Not my thing for this car but does bring back memories from a Ford Bronco audio build I did back in the day. Very nice choices.

2003 BMW M5
2010 BMW 750i
Old 05-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #73
GTOguy531
#fitted

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts114...View Post
using some very nice equipment there! Not my thing for this car but does bring back memories from a Ford Bronco audio build I did back in the day. Very nice choices.

Yeah it keeps me pretty entertained. I daily the car so having an awesome stereo makes me happy. I can't wait to really dig into the build.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #74
GTOguy531
#fitted

2004 GTO Owner

Well I should be making progress on this soon. I am planning to order my 8's tomorrow maybe the rest of my drivers also. I am still debating on the mids but I think 2.5s are what I am going to use in the stock tweeter location. Vifa mids and tweets are the plan. I hope to have it 100% done for Import Alliance.

I am also thinking I am going to build a 4th order bandpass for the substage.

Plans for that I am going to try to glass in the spare tire well to gain 2ish cubic feet and maybe remove my fuel tank brace to try to get close to 7 or 8 cubic feet of total usable space. I am hoping to figure out the right dimensions for a 4th order bandpass aeroported through the rear shelf. Right now after a little discussion and planning I am thinking 1.5 to 2 cubes in the sealed chamber and 3-4 in the ported chamber. It will be tuned low which will make me happy.

Total RMS power should be close to 5500 watts
Old 06-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #75
Motownpontiac
Motownpontiac

2004 GTO Owner

I feel like a dope. I didn't even realize SPL competitions were still popular. I dabbled in it in the late 90's. It's not a knock at all, I just hadn't heard anything about them in quite awhile.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #76
GTOguy531
#fitted

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motownpontiac...View Post
I feel like a dope. I didn't even realize SPL competitions were still popular. I dabbled in it in the late 90's. It's not a knock at all, I just hadn't heard anything about them in quite awhile.

No worries. I went to slamology last weekend and it was insane.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #77
GTOguy531
#fitted

2004 GTO Owner

Right now I am planning to do the bandpass just about 100%. I will be mounting all the amps in the trunk. With the 4th order I will seal everything to fire forward. I will probably make a big pretty trim panel for the trunk to hide all the wire. The amps will all be centered on the box. The crescendo on the back and PPI's on top most likely somehow overlapping. I think I may also sell the Crescendo and buy 4 Audiopipe APSM 1500s or 2000s. That would be 6k or 8k rated power for the substage and 1600 for the front stage bringing the total power to 7600 or 9600 watts. I'm not sure if I'll do that yet, but the thought is there. I will need more electrical support however If I choose to go to 7600 or 9600 watts rms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: