X Pipe Installed - Wow - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Exhaust

Old 01-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

X Pipe Installed - Wow

I haven't been around any other goats to see what kind of a difference it would make in the sound. I was extremely surprised at how different the car sounds now after ditching the stock resonator. Only other exhaust mod right now is a set of LM1's to replace stock mufflers.

There used to be a very resonant drone just under 2k rpms where I normally cruise at. That's completely gone, but still a deep rumble off idle. But at 3k rpms and above is where this sounds like a completely new car. I can see now where reading the descriptions of the differences between H and X. X is very euro v8, almost NASCAR-ish. With the stock resonator, even though the RPMs would climb, the car still had the same note to it. Now it sounds like a high revving track car.

Only downside, is after I put headers on, I'll probably need to get some quieter mufflers... Starting and idle is enough to wake the neighbors.

Best $40 I've spent on the car so far though!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Kingmanbc
Fear The Goat

2005 GTO Owner

nascar baby, zoom zoom

-Buckeye Goats Member
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
o'doyle
AWWWWW YEAH....

2006 GTO Owner

I really enjoyed the exhaust note after replacing the resonator with an x pipe. I had LT's with the stock catback, I can only imagine with the LM1's. As you stated it will be LOUD after headers.. Enjoy

2006 SRM A4 Sold

1993 Red Lightning... Nowhere near stock
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
psycho1000r
1 LITER DUC EATER

2005 GTO Owner

my friend had LM1s with LT headers. I never thouht Id say this, but that shit was too loud. by too loud, as in he scared the shit out of me one day while i was puttin along on the highway, windows rolled down, he snuck up along side my and buried the throttle, i jumped like a Lonestar, almost had a heart attack lol. my ears were ringin.

Kooks Signature Series stepped LTs, Bassani cat back, Magnaflow X-pipe, Svede OTRCAI, FAST102, NW 102 TB, AI ported 226cc 243 heads, FTI custom cam, CSP tuned, SLP UDP, LS7 clutch, GMM street:
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
1QWIK7

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to 1QWIK7
Haha your reaction is the same with Me when I ditched the resonator for a magnaflow xpipe.

It was a totally different car. Before my car would sound like a dodge truck. Even when you go up the rpms. Around town I shifted at like 1800rpm because I didn't like the sound lol.

Now with the xpipe it sounds like an actual "race" car. I find myself revving higher in each gear now because I love the sound..sounds like a proper v8 now.

I really can't wait til I install my kooks lt's.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

When my girlfriend got home she wanted to hear the difference. Standing about 5 ft behind the car. I started it up and she shrieked a little bit while jumping. Didn't think the volume was going to increase by *that* much.. Now that the sound is there, gotta get the extra hp to back it up!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
04 LS1 GTO M6

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho1000r...View Post
my friend had LM1s with LT headers. I never thouht Id say this, but that shit was too loud. by too loud, as in he scared the shit out of me one day while i was puttin along on the highway, windows rolled down, he snuck up along side my and buried the throttle, i jumped like a Lonestar, almost had a heart attack lol. my ears were ringin.

Haha, yeah the LM's are a loud bunch. Mine came with LT's and LM II's and people kept telling me it was tooloud and I wasn't having any of it. Well just driving normally through town, restaurants and gas stations lining the road, I ended up setting off 3-4 car alarms in a parking lot. Mind you, I wasn't revving or at WOT, never got over 2,500 RPM.

Bought a bassani the next weekend and haven't looked back. Still loud, but now its not obnoxiously so.

Mods: PaceSh!tter LT's & no cats | Bassani CB | SS OTRCAI | TSP Torquer V3 (231/234 .643/.598) | LS7 Lifters | .650" Springs | Ported LS6 Oil Pump | Monster Stage 2 w/ 18lb flywheel | MGW-P

393/367 at the wheels w/ a slipping clutch (before the Monster S2)

To come: P&P 243's | Fast/TB | Geforce Driveshaft/Axles/Stubs | Suspension goodness
Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
Ironmn715
Premium Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Any videos of your 04 with the Bassani? Really curious about how this sounds inside and out. Hard to find an 04 with Bassani on youtube.

'Moe
Old 01-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
04 LS1 GTO M6

2004 GTO Owner

I'm cam'd, and cat less so it may not be a great representation for a typical '04. Its also a cold start so I didn't rev any higher than 2-2500RPM

She's put away for winter right now, and half the engine bay is torn apart so this is the only video I've got with the Bassani.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--kO...e_gdata_player
Old 01-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
wavrun

2006 GTO Owner

This is good news. I have an X pipe sitting in my garage that needs to be installed. I am hoping for a sound bump and this confirms I should get a good one.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

Re: X Pipe Installed - Wow

It's probably just the tone that can be heard from inside the car, but it seems the volume and general loudness is greatest between 2500 and 4000. Almost silent above that, even at WOT. Guess the resonance can't be heard unless you're behind the car..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
therat1989

I had an x pipe only exhaust setup with a svede and a ported intake. You could really hear the intak sucking in air but the exhaust note was great as well. Then i deleted the mufflers and the sound was so clean and loud. Im sure your car sounds great as is with those LM2s. Get us a video asap.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
patrick983

2006 GTO Owner

i too was impressed. i put catless mids and cut out the resonator for an x-pipe. i was surprised by the jump in HP as well as how loud the car is still having stock mufflers. The tone is 100x better with the x-pipe. thats exactly how people describe mine too... "nascar"
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
TheRocket
I Wanna Go Fast

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick983...View Post
i too was impressed. i put catless mids and cut out the resonator for an x-pipe. i was surprised by the jump in HP as well as how loud the car is still having stock mufflers. The tone is 100x better with the x-pipe. thats exactly how people describe mine too... "nascar"

How much HP did you gain!?!?

2005 Pearl Orange Metallic
PB:12.98@107.1mph
LS3 Intake/Heads - Comp Custom Grind Cam 224/230 .609/.609 113+2 - FTI 3200 Triple Disc - Svede - Lunati - Katech - Cometic - GMPP - SLP - Kooks - MagnaFlow - BC 8/10k Coilovers - Pedders - Whiteline - DBA - Hawk - TSW Cadwells - Goldilocks Splitter - Maverick Man Carbon Spoiler - Morimoto - 06 Tails - Elemental Designs Nine.1 Amp - Phoenix Gold - Hybrid Audio - TC Sounds - Kenwood
Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
high school goat
Retarded Spark

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to high school goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by therat1989...View Post
I had an x pipe only exhaust setup with a svede and a ported intake. You could really hear the intak sucking in air but the exhaust note was great as well. Then i deleted the mufflers and the sound was so clean and loud. Im sure your car sounds great as is with those LM2s. Get us a video asap.

Muffler deletes and clean sound do not belong together.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
patrick983

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket...View Post
How much HP did you gain!?!?

not alot, but definitely noticeable. They say the ~5hp you may get from a catback is from the xpipe though. and going catless certainly helped as well, supposedly the midpipes (stock) are the restrictive part of the factory exhaust.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #17
high school goat
Retarded Spark

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to high school goat
Quote:
not alot, but definitely noticeable. They say the ~5hp you may get from a catback is from the xpipe though. and going catless certainly helped as well, supposedly the midpipes (stock) are the restrictive part of the factory exhaust.

You're not going to notice 5hp
Old 01-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
Synyzter
My DD

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Synyzter
Quote:
Originally Posted by high school goat...View Post
Muffler deletes and clean sound do not belong together.

oh so true. I had an LTs, no cats, x pipe, and catback with 3 inch muffler deletes. It was one of the loudest things I had ever heard, but the tone/sound of it was unbearable. WOT was like a nascar, but cruising was terrible.

Now I have LTs, catless mids, x pipe, and Spintech super pro streets dumped at the rear diff. Its loud, its deep, and it has an actual sound/tone to it. Its not just noise.
2006 PBM GTO A4...Pacesetter 1-3/4 longtubes, 3in offroad mids, Spintech dumps...AEM Intake, ported LS2 manifold, ported LS2 Throttle Body...Drilled/Slotted Rotors...Pioneer Speakers...Bohnman Splitter...Lovells RR bushings and Poly Strut mounts...Lovells 0 drop springs...6000k HIDs in heads and fogs
Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
TheRocket
I Wanna Go Fast

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:

Thank You
Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
04 LS1 GTO M6

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:

I wonder if chassis dynos are even precise enough to accurately measure that. I thought I read somewhere they have a 2-5% degree of error depending on model, type etc...
Old 01-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #21
1QWIK7

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyzter...View Post
oh so true. I had an LTs, no cats, x pipe, and catback with 3 inch muffler deletes. It was one of the loudest things I had ever heard, but the tone/sound of it was unbearable. WOT was like a nascar, but cruising was terrible.

Now I have LTs, catless mids, x pipe, and Spintech super pro streets dumped at the rear diff. Its loud, its deep, and it has an actual sound/tone to it. Its not just noise.

Video of current setup?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #22
patrick983

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:

well whatever number you want to put on it i certainly noticed the addition of those 2 things, especially in the midrange. I'd be interested if someone's ever actually dynoed something like this. i would think 5whp would still be noticeable, albeit minor.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #23
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

From here: http://robrobinette.com/et.htm

350 wheel hp on a 3900 car (w/ driver) = 13.0105 1/4 ET

355 wheel hp on a 3900 car = 12.949

Don't know that anybody's senses would be good enough to know which of those 2 runs above would be quicker. Hell even .5 quicker I doubt you'd know unless you looked at a time slip.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #24
patrick983

2006 GTO Owner

cool, that puts some things in to perspective. thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #25
jmd
OLD GOAT

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavell...View Post
From here: http://robrobinette.com/et.htm

350 wheel hp on a 3900 car (w/ driver) = 13.0105 1/4 ET

355 wheel hp on a 3900 car = 12.949

Don't know that anybody's senses would be good enough to know which of those 2 runs above would be quicker. Hell even .5 quicker I doubt you'd know unless you looked at a time slip.

you weigh 120 pounds?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #26
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

Huh? ~3725 + 175 avg person = 3900 lbs.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #27
1QWIK7

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
well whatever number you want to put on it i certainly noticed the addition of those 2 things, especially in the midrange. I'd be interested if someone's ever actually dynoed something like this. i would think 5whp would still be noticeable, albeit minor.

Placebo effect.

Its all in your mind man. No way any person can "feel" a 5rwhp increase.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #28
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

I agree that you can't feel a 5 RWHP or whatever peak HP difference HOWEVER proper exhaust changes can greatly affect a car's performance without a big increase in peak HP. I gained a little peak HP up top but 30+ FTLBs of torque down low with my exhaust that wouldn't show up on a peak to peak HP comparison. You really need to look at the torque curves over the entire usable bandwidth to see if there was notable improvement. Mine was mainly achieved with collector dimensions and X pipe placement.

"It's a well know fact that after you hit 400 HP you have to go with split dual exhaust like the LS2 GTOs. The '04s could get away
with single side because they were only 350 HP. With 400 HP and beyond the car wants to turn right at WOT from the thrust."
Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #29
Shawshank
Cyclone Gray Moneypit

2005 GTO Owner

Re: X Pipe Installed - Wow

A Riemann sum would be a much better method for understanding changes in performance. Enough with talk of peak HP changes!

Sent from my Inspire 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #30
Audacious Nick
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIK7...View Post
Placebo effect.

Its all in your mind man. No way any person can "feel" a 5rwhp increase.

That's where you're wrong. What if it's on a bicycle. Or a motorcycle with 17rwhp, stock. 5rwhp is gonna feel quite amazing.
Now, on a 300+rwhp vehicle, it's probably the noise. You could lose 20rwhp and still think it's faster, just because you turn into a throttle masher. Haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: