Coolant crossover build... - Page 2 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 01-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #31
Hugemoose2005

2005 GTO Owner

This is a good idea..... might need to be my next project.
-SLP Under-drive pulley
-Stage 2 ported intake and TB
-Insulated Vararam
-Gforce stage 2 anti-hop axles
-ARH 1 7/8 Long tubes and high flow cats
-custom exhaust with x-pipe and 3" powersticks
-GMM race shifter
-Pedders street 1 bushings
-Monster stage 3 clutch and classic hardline
-3.91s, Diff technics diff, Gforce stubs
-370mm Lovells rear springs

455RWHP/411RWTQ
1/4 mile = embarrassing @ 116mph
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #32
sergo
Bamanana

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFSADRG...View Post
Found some pictures of my setup during the fabrication to give a better perspective.

nice job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingoat...View Post

this is the one from nitrous outlet that im going to use.

gonna have to look this one up.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #33
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

I'd like to hear a theory that actually makes sense as to why do this. The engine is tipped back, acceleration pushes water back, bubbles would go to the front. The purpose is to bleed out any potential little steam pocket that may form. It's not going to circulate any significant coolant nor keep #7 from popping a ring land that I can see. If you're making that much steam you have far worse problems. Theories?

"It's a well know fact that after you hit 400 HP you have to go with split dual exhaust like the LS2 GTOs. The '04s could get away
with single side because they were only 350 HP. With 400 HP and beyond the car wants to turn right at WOT from the thrust."
Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #34
CrAzYGOAT
nothing witty today

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212...View Post
I'd like to hear a theory that actually makes sense as to why do this. The engine is tipped back, acceleration pushes water back, bubbles would go to the front. The purpose is to bleed out any potential little steam pocket that may form. It's not going to circulate any significant coolant nor keep #7 from popping a ring land that I can see. If you're making that much steam you have far worse problems. Theories?

well that's just it... #7 running hot, especially with a LSXr and not much info on why or how to remove it. (that i have seen) Also relying on the tipping back of your engine to shake out all the steam from back there seems a little... well not efficient. i say if it was designed like that from the get go... and it is something that has not been removed even to this day, then why not take advantage at increasing the longevity of your engine? And lastly the stock crossovers really don't do what they are ment to. If the vent to the rad. is sitting lower than the ports they are coming out of then the steam is just getting trapped in the corners of the heads... and this gets even words when you put in a LSXr because you have to bend the tube down just to fit the LSXr.

(not a LXSr but the same bending down)

your gansta lean back anit gonna shake all dem bubbles out dawg. It needs to rise higher than the ports which in turn is higher than the intake.

i am no engineer but it would seem to me that opening these things up and keeping your engine cooler is a good thing no?

STOLEN
2004 PBM LS1 M6
Kooks Headers & Street Screamers - Monster stage 1 with tick performance master
Hinson engine mounts - speed bleeder - ASP UD pulley - 3.91 w/eaton tru trac and Harrop cover - BP shifter
RAMJET otrcai - LSXr/102 Big Mouth - Billet Rails - custom coolant crossover
BC coilovers, 19" TSW Cadwells 45mm on f-245/35 r-285/35 - James Biz catch can
JB blacked out arrows and side badges - Mav man spolier and diffuser - Custom suede interior and trim
Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #35
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

Will the one from NO fit under a traditional LS intake? It might be for a raised intake like Edelbrocks and Holley HiRams.

From what I read about Kurt Urban's theory behind tying in the rear steam ports is the distribution block should be the highest point of the cooling system. That way all steam rises to the dist block. This is supposed to promote even cooling to the rear cylinders.

Here is a post that has some information about the vapor system working:

http://lsxnation.net/forum/showthrea...r-Vapor-System

Excerpts:
" I have my stock temp sensor in the stock location in the driver's side head, that will read 195 degrees consistantly. I also have an autometer gauge reading off the passenger side head which puts it over #8. Which will read 210-220, or more depending on traffic or if I hotlap it at the track."

"Brought #8 (my rear water temp sensor) right back down to 195 like the front stock sensor reads. I've tested it on the street in decent city/highway traffic and at the track."
Old 01-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #36
CrAzYGOAT
nothing witty today

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFSADRG...View Post
Will the one from NO fit under a traditional LS intake? It might be for a raised intake like Edelbrocks and Holley HiRams.

yes it would need to be a high rise...

literally sat down one day and read this entire thread, it is everything you need to know and several builds.
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=439023

Last edited by CrAzYGOAT; 01-23-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #37
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

So that tiny tube as opposed to the passageways moves that much coolant when it was designed to move small amounts of vapor. OK.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #38
CrAzYGOAT
nothing witty today

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
So that tiny tube as opposed to the passageways moves that much coolant when it was designed to move small amounts of vapor. OK.

not sure you used enough words here but i think what your telling me is that this is all magic BS hocus pocus right? and that tiny tubes are incapable of doing the said task of being a vent... regardless of what corner they are on?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #39
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

Yes. When I had to bleed the system from the distribution block coolant poured out like a sieve. I would like to add a T with a flare cap if I need to ever bleed the system again.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #40
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

No I think the tiny tubes can do a job of venting the small amounts of steam that can form. I just think in anything outside a circle track race car it's overkill and won't save a single engine. Won't hurt a thing otherwise.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #41
CrAzYGOAT
nothing witty today

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
No I think the tiny tubes can do a job of venting the small amounts of steam that can form. I just think in anything outside a circle track race car it's overkill and won't save a single engine. Won't hurt a thing otherwise.

oh well in that case your probably right lol... minus the back side getting to hot and some have already tested this theory to work. i admitted it eariler, plus i think im addicted to billet
Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #42
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

This was discussed a while back. One thing to remember is LS1s used to have the rear crossover and they still had the same #7 issue. Something to think about
Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #43
rockingoat
nitrous? yes please...

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

The way I look at it is I have a lot invested in my motor and any help I can get to keep it cooler is good in my book.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #44
Jaime Lannister

Quote:
This was discussed a while back. One thing to remember is LS1s used to have the rear crossover and they still had the same #7 issue. Something to think about

Apparently all it does is bleed air...

Marc@vettenuts has some of the old ls1 style ones I believe. You can just chisel off the bottom of the LS6 manifold then it clears and looks factory.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #45
briancb1
:-(

2006 GTO Owner

Is there a serious issue someone is having or are we just bored and thinking of ways to spend more money?

The old LS1's had that style steam tube(97-99 I believe, pre LS6). Then in '00 they changed the block design and no longer have a coolant passage in the front on the deck closest to the radiator, forcing more fluid movement in the back of the cylinder head from the block.

If you saw two different block's you'd see what I'm taking about.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:00 AM   #46
CrAzYGOAT
nothing witty today

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:

except they still sat level if not lower than the ports they were venting... raising it up should help.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #47
Detroit_Muscle
CogCogCogCog

2006 GTO Owner

Just an FYI to anyone reading and wondering: I did this "mod" with my TVS2300 setup. Those Wegner / KUP adapters are very nice, however, too tall to clear the blower on the back of the heads once you put a fitting in them. I had to machined them down, then retap. I tied them together, T'd them, ran a single line to the front crossover and T'd again, back to the radiator. Looks factory and does the same job. Nice and clean.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #48
rockingoat
nitrous? yes please...

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

got my crossover and intake installed tonight
Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #49
CrAzYGOAT
nothing witty today

2004 GTO Owner

almost there... kinda got caught up in the "while im in there" bug lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MC3_3020 copy.jpg (73.9 KB, 851 views)
Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #50
SyTyJedi
You want a shot at the title?

2005 GTO Owner

This is my solution, in various phases. I crossed over at the rear to the drivers side port and then towards the front and T'd into the stock rubber hose that connects to the radiator. The Wegner fittings are the best starting point at each head, unless you just want to tap the head and run fittings directly into the steam port. That helps in situations where you are limited with height.

I used Fragola -4 to hose barb fittings to fit around the FAST intake better. If you use a normal -4 90* fitting it will rub on the side of the FAST. The intake also takes up more room towards the rear so you have to point your fitting straight back towards the firewall. The braided hose would not make a turn that tight so I used some fuel hose since it would handle the pressure and temp.

Since I don't like guessing I used a clear hose so I could see exactly how the coolant would behave in this configuration.

Just after starting the engine the coolant began to flow up into the clear hose and towards the front of the engine. It took a few minutes to push all the air out of the hose, but once it did you could see it was definitely flowing from the rear of the engine to the front towards the radiator. I have a video of the startup that I could upload to YouTube if anyone was interested. It's easy to see the coolant bubbling up, but it's hard to see it flowing with the camera that I have. For the sake of clarification, since it's been mentioned or questioned several times - the coolant does flow towards the front of the car and flows quite a bit more than you would expect. It's funny that everyone calls them steam ports, because a ton of coolant flows through them.

After I verified the direction and amount of flow, I switched over to a black hose as the clear would have started to leak. It doesn't handle the heat cycles very well. I recently switched the rear crossover line to a premade braided line that I sourced since it would fit around the FAST intake.

I am currently working on replacing the rubber hose that runs to the front with hard line for a cleaner look. I had thought about adding some extra T fittings and trying to attach a temp probe to see exactly how hot the coolant is that is coming from the 'steam' ports in the heads.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #51
mikew

2006 GTO Owner

A lot of work and theory. If your really worried about it. Get a meth kit. Instant peace of mind for keeping the engine cool. And can be programed only to engage at a certain rpm for daily drivers who don't wanna use it till your on it.
iat relocate, vararam Cai, coated kooks LT's w/ catted mids, spintech 2.5 stainless catback, Fast 102 and ported TB, slp 25% underdrive pulley,Full lovells suspension + rr bushings, lovells rear diff insert, Rota p45's 18x8F 18x9.5R, dunlop star specs 235/275 staggered.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #52
Axe Man
Spirit of Detroit

2006 GTO Owner

This is an interesting read, and it sounds as if this issue is more prevelant when you install an aftermarket intake. Does this issue exist with stock intakes? Is this more prone to occur in LS1's or LS2"s?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #53
Stoopalini
Premium Member

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

The LT-1s also used a crossover "steam tube" in the back, which tied to the front of the cooling system ... although there were still plenty of cyl #7 failures on those too.

My '96 Z28 popped the head gasket at Cyl 7, and my steam tube was working properly.

Cluster Programming Sheet

Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #54
MuhThugga
Poppycock

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopalini...View Post
The LT-1s also used a crossover "steam tube" in the back, which tied to the front of the cooling system ... although there were still plenty of cyl #7 failures on those too.

My '96 Z28 popped the head gasket at Cyl 7, and my steam tube was working properly.

Yup. The LT1's crossover is located in the rear.

Might be feasible and more aesthetically pleasing to use an LT1 crossover in conjunction with the front crossover and run a T-connection with the rubber hoses.

PROJECT SILVERBACK IS COMPLETE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDCGTO...View Post
Squeezing another 50 rwhp out of one of those setups would be like trying to squeeze the sarcasm out of MuhThugga. . . . . . . . not gonna happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
A Prius is a vehicular dunce cap.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #55
redgto4u

2005 GTO Owner

Very nice. I'm going to do something similar. Bought the wegner water adapter fittings for the rear. Quick run to lowes for 2 45 degree NPT fittings, a Y adapter, T adapter, and some black fuel line will be my setup. I'm going to T in the same spot you did and use the Y in the back to tie the 2 rears together so I'm just running 1 line to the front. Piece of mind for under $40!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyTyJedi...View Post
This is my solution, in various phases. I crossed over at the rear to the drivers side port and then towards the front and T'd into the stock rubber hose that connects to the radiator. The Wegner fittings are the best starting point at each head, unless you just want to tap the head and run fittings directly into the steam port. That helps in situations where you are limited with height.

I used Fragola -4 to hose barb fittings to fit around the FAST intake better. If you use a normal -4 90* fitting it will rub on the side of the FAST. The intake also takes up more room towards the rear so you have to point your fitting straight back towards the firewall. The braided hose would not make a turn that tight so I used some fuel hose since it would handle the pressure and temp.

Since I don't like guessing I used a clear hose so I could see exactly how the coolant would behave in this configuration.

Just after starting the engine the coolant began to flow up into the clear hose and towards the front of the engine. It took a few minutes to push all the air out of the hose, but once it did you could see it was definitely flowing from the rear of the engine to the front towards the radiator. I have a video of the startup that I could upload to YouTube if anyone was interested. It's easy to see the coolant bubbling up, but it's hard to see it flowing with the camera that I have. For the sake of clarification, since it's been mentioned or questioned several times - the coolant does flow towards the front of the car and flows quite a bit more than you would expect. It's funny that everyone calls them steam ports, because a ton of coolant flows through them.

After I verified the direction and amount of flow, I switched over to a black hose as the clear would have started to leak. It doesn't handle the heat cycles very well. I recently switched the rear crossover line to a premade braided line that I sourced since it would fit around the FAST intake.

I am currently working on replacing the rubber hose that runs to the front with hard line for a cleaner look. I had thought about adding some extra T fittings and trying to attach a temp probe to see exactly how hot the coolant is that is coming from the 'steam' ports in the heads.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by redgto4u; 12-27-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #56
slimbobaggins
Let's roll

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Necromancer

http://www.757goat.org/phpBB3/index.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolAid...View Post
Shaking/vibrating/rattling more is actually a bonus to me. I enjoy the Parkinsons effect at a stop light while the car belches out fumes of unburnt fuel from its monster lopey overlap. To me, thats muscle car.

Mods: ARP hardware
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: