Svede installed/"Learning Your Car" general - Page 2 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #31
Hitman9

2005 GTO Owner

It will...real world driving with a Svede is great, its somewhat forced air the faster you go. If not "forced" its a very helpful push to state the least. With this freezing cold weather we got here in KY, at about 15-20 degrees outside temp, I was in 3rd rolling about 45-50mph and slowy rolled into the pedal, once it hit powerband it started to shred the tires like no tomorrow and whip sideways. lol Never did it that easy before. Svede def adds some TQ as well.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #32
Ehrgeiz X
Leading cause of missing 3rd

2004 GTO Owner

Svede installed/"Learning Your Car" general

Yeah, for sure. I did a little first gear romp after the car came back off the dyno (McDonald's run FTW) and sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce Jesus, she threw me back HARD. No imagining the way she did it. It was a very physical car-to-driver love making moment. I had an epiphany in that moment... Now I understand why my wife claims my car is the only competition she'll ever have to worry about! Lmao

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2004 IBM M6 Cavalier SS
Svede. Pacesetter LT's, Spintech R221's. Pedders/Lovells holding up the rear. NT05R's on her feet. Tuned by Chuck Anders
350/360 on a hot day
1 of 478
LSX Reapers' token '04 Goat
Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #33
Hitman9

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrgeiz X...View Post
Yeah, for sure. I did a little first gear romp after the car came back off the dyno (McDonald's run FTW) and sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce Jesus, she threw me back HARD. No imagining the way she did it. It was a very physical car-to-driver love making moment. I had an epiphany in that moment... Now I understand why my wife claims my car is the only competition she'll ever have to worry about! Lmao

Haha Thats great! Yea gotta love those moments, I feel you there. My wife says the same stuff...and you know in all honesty if I paid as much attention to her as I did my car...well...........we won't get into that lol.

I do give mad props to the Svede its creator Jerry and all the work (prototype after prototype) and design behind it. It works wonders. But on the other hand I also except the fact the stock GTO air intake system/design, is just shit. Lots of heat soak from the headers and radiator/hoses. MAF location sucks, filter is blocked by the headlight and too low to gain air from the hood gap.

The K&N's, Volants, LPEs, do help and work good in most cases, but anything thats not a OTRCAI on our cars is never going to perform as well as a OTRCAI unless you put a blower on the engine side of it.

You don't see many WS6 owners in any rush to fab up a new intake. Why? cause the stock ram air design is not garbage like ours.

Thank goodness we have the oppurtunity to improve on it with some dude's ingenuity and willingness to just have something better from a automotive performance standpoint. Glad I got one and 99% of the rest of the Svede owners are as well I would imagine.

I would like to request a moderator to please make a Smilie that just has a sign that says "SVEDE FTW!"

Last edited by Hitman9; 01-25-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #34
Ehrgeiz X

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman9...View Post

I would like to request a moderator to please make a Smilie that just has a sign that says "SVEDE FTW!"

X1,230,384,826,839,527,829,826!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #35
Hitman9

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
X1,230,384,826,839,527,829,826!!!

Hey he deserves it, thats the least we could do for a great product.

Plus its keeps us from having to type it in...cause we're gonna post it anyways.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #36
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

Thanks guys. Some of you that haven't been around here the last 9 years don't know about the different intakes I tried and tested. Most also don't know I was the one that "invented" the faster acting IAT sensor as well. I first realized the stock sensors were very slow acting and made an Omega with an earlier style intake. The concepts of an intake are really simple and easy to monitor results but the intake threads mostly devolve into fanboi posts or comparisons that don't compare. The early SSOTR intakes I hand made were a lot cheaper but didn't look nearly as well and took me a long time to build. I just wish things for the manufactured ones went faster and smoother because it's a very good intake.

"It's a well know fact that after you hit 400 HP you have to go with split dual exhaust like the LS2 GTOs. The '04s could get away
with single side because they were only 350 HP. With 400 HP and beyond the car wants to turn right at WOT from the thrust."
Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #37
Ehrgeiz X

2004 GTO Owner

So... It seems that there's still some sort of issue with my car... My MAF readings had tiny spikes in them for each dyno pull no matter what he did. He said it wasn't really hurting the performance, but my top end is still kind of hurting, after some... "Street pulls" with a buddy and his car (ya know, for comparison). For some reason, the car I beat on a drag (06 M6 goat with intake/full exhaust) was now pulling away from me on a roll. Dig, I've still got his number, easy. He can't launch like I can, both mechanically and driver-wise. But roll racing? First time he jumped, but the next few times he seemingly pulled on me only in top-end RPM ranges. I'm willing to bet it has something to do with my MAF or some sort of wiring problem that could be chalked up to gremlins. I don't know. I've been drinking and I'm not about to try and Intelligently articulate this for any of you. Regardless, just to save my pride, I'm going to race him again from a dig just to get the point across; roll racing is easy. Dig//drag is where it's at. Can you launch? Can you shift? Can you react to that "GO!" Quick enough? I've got his number in every single category. Plus, I can brag that my intake/exhaust LS1 beats his intake/exhaust LS2 when it comes to digs. #Winning

Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #38
Hitman9

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
So... It seems that there's still some sort of issue with my car... My MAF readings had tiny spikes in them for each dyno pull no matter what he did. He said it wasn't really hurting the performance, but my top end is still kind of hurting, after some... "Street pulls" with a buddy and his car (ya know, for comparison). For some reason, the car I beat on a drag (06 M6 goat with intake/full exhaust) was now pulling away from me on a roll. Dig, I've still got his number, easy. He can't launch like I can, both mechanically and driver-wise. But roll racing? First time he jumped, but the next few times he seemingly pulled on me only in top-end RPM ranges. I'm willing to bet it has something to do with my MAF or some sort of wiring problem that could be chalked up to gremlins. I don't know. I've been drinking and I'm not about to try and Intelligently articulate this for any of you. Regardless, just to save my pride, I'm going to race him again from a dig just to get the point across; roll racing is easy. Dig//drag is where it's at. Can you launch? Can you shift? Can you react to that "GO!" Quick enough? I've got his number in every single category. Plus, I can brag that my intake/exhaust LS1 beats his intake/exhaust LS2 when it comes to digs. #Winning

Hmmm not sure what this issue is there, I'm sure I could figure something but I'm not going to get into a long drawn out novel about what "MAY" be the problem. Maybe Jerry will chime in with his diagnoisis. Interested to see what it may be.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #39
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

I don't think anything is particularly wrong here. I don't know if he tried rotating the MAF as sometimes that's necessary but I wouldn't worry about it. If you beat the LS2 from a dig before you should beat him even better now as IATs will be better. Pick a hot day to gain even more advantage. If you do more modding a bigger MAF or SD will benefit you as the LS1 MAF is fairly small. It's under 75mm.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #40
Hitman9

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212...View Post
I don't think anything is particularly wrong here. I don't know if he tried rotating the MAF as sometimes that's necessary but I wouldn't worry about it. If you beat the LS2 from a dig before you should beat him even better now as IATs will be better. Pick a hot day to gain even more advantage. If you do more modding a bigger MAF or SD will benefit you as the LS1 MAF is fairly small. It's under 75mm.

I sure this is topic is worn out as well, but is there any advantages to going SD with a LS2/Svede? I do have a FAST 102 & ported LS2 TB. Any negative effects for a DD?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #41
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

I'm not going to say SD is for everybody. I do my own tuning so finding work-arounds for the short comings of SD were just another project. SD does adjust for altitude as speed doesn't really have anything to do with the system but it operates on manifold pressure so as you change altitude manifold pressure changes too. The biggest hurdle especially for people that drive them in all different weather conditions is getting the temp bias tables tweaked to account for fueling changes with temp changes. A good tune should be a SD tune even if you use a MAF though as GM uses a hybrid system of both with the MAF. A good SD (VE table) tune makes a snappier throttle and better fueling on transitions (could be the "spikes" in the OP's?). The LS1 MAF is smallish once you start moving air and just upgrading to a LS2 85mm MAF helps with them. On a LS2 that's modded I'd want a 100mm or go SD.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #42
Ehrgeiz X

2004 GTO Owner

I see. Something I was advised to try was a different MAF to see if it still does it. Problem is, it's a new MAF. Like, only a few months old. Granted, the local parts store isn't exactly on a roll lately. They sold my buddy an alternator for his C5Z... And it didn't even work. Before that, they sold me the wrong wheel studs that "should be the same cause its the same thing from the '02 Camaro". LOLNOPE.jpg. I'll see about trying a different MAF, and an LS2 MAF if it works, just for comparison. Otherwise, she still drives like an animal on bottom end. It's my top end that has seemingly suffered.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:39 AM   #43
briancb1
:-(

2006 GTO Owner

Jerry,

Whos that girl in your pic? I've never committed a crime in my life, but for her, I might.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: