Need a little help with GTO in Dallas/Grapevine, new to town - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > Regional Forums > Texas

Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
WadeTXGTO
trust me

2004 GTO Owner

Need a little help with GTO in Dallas/Grapevine, new to town

I am in the process of relocating to Dallas, driving back and forth to Austin on weekends. Driving into work today, it sounds like I have something really loose in the driveline, like a worn u-joint or something. Ok under load ... for now. Anybody with a recommendation as to where I can go to get it looked at. Not really in a position to work on it where I am staying during the week in the Grapevine. I work in downtown Dallas.
Thanks in advance!

Its not the "clunk," is more of a repetitive banging sound under light load, and turning corners.

Also, another thought, I changed the diff fluid about a week or so ago for the "clunk." I used the heavier weight Lucas that says no additional friction modifier needed. Could it be that I just need to go back and add some of the GM friction modifier? Thinking about the simple things first.

Last edited by WadeTXGTO; 01-28-2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: more info
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
sergo
Bamanana

2005 GTO Owner

i would tell you to come by my house but i am way out in the opposite direction from you.
there is one guy who works in Dallas at a shop and i hope he chimes in because i'm not going to volunteer his services for him. i also know that there quite a few who live in your area so maybe they'll chime in too.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
atx63bravo
Camel Tow

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeTXGTO...View Post
I am in the process of relocating to Dallas, driving back and forth to Austin on weekends. Driving into work today, it sounds like I have something really loose in the driveline, like a worn u-joint or something. Ok under load ... for now. Anybody with a recommendation as to where I can go to get it looked at. Not really in a position to work on it where I am staying during the week in the Grapevine. I work in downtown Dallas.
Thanks in advance!

Its not the "clunk," is more of a repetitive banging sound under light load, and turning corners.

Also, another thought, I changed the diff fluid about a week or so ago for the "clunk." I used the heavier weight Lucas that says no additional friction modifier needed. Could it be that I just need to go back and add some of the GM friction modifier? Thinking about the simple things first.

I think I would pull out the Lucas and go with Torco and the proper friction modifier. I use it in my GTO and I have had ZERO issues with it. Does the sound sound like it is coming from the ass end of the car?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
WadeTXGTO
trust me

2004 GTO Owner

Yes, definitely from the rear. And more noticeable around corners.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
sergo
Bamanana

2005 GTO Owner

you can try adding some f/m. may or may not help at this point but since you didn't put any in it's worth a shot.
use the ford (xl3) stuff.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
atx63bravo
Camel Tow

2006 GTO Owner

Yeah man I am no super GTO mechanic, but from what I have seen here your symptoms look like something to possibly do with no friction modifier. I would go with Sergos recommendation with adding the f/m and if that doesn't fix it I would personally drain it all back out and go with Torco.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
WadeTXGTO
trust me

2004 GTO Owner

Sounds good. I'll try that this evening. Not sure the Torco is available locally, but I'll pick up something to drain & refill with the friction modifier this evening.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
atx63bravo
Camel Tow

2006 GTO Owner

Try uprev on lamar. I was there the other day when a friend of mine was getting his car tuned there, and I noticed that they had a Torco display there. They may have it, but I am not sure as I did not look closely at it.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Toro Toro
Premium Member

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

While your down there, check the TQ on the stub bolts. I had mine come loose before.

Best 1/8 mile run:
7.406@ 92.80mph

Best 1/4 mile run:
11.853 @ 115.56 mph
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Jim Ignatowski
Hope he gets it!

2006 GTO Owner

might call Mike at Whitesidecustoms. His shop is by Lewisville, not to far from Grapevine up 121.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
WadeTXGTO
trust me

2004 GTO Owner

Thanks guys. Well i am probably the only one who didnt know this on the board, but i learned you need to add the friction modifier even if the gear oil says its not necessary. Drained, refilled with new gear oil and some of the transx tonight -- all better. It was howling and knocking, now its just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: