New 6sp trans & new twin disc clutch=rattling noise? - Page 3 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Drivetrain

Old 12-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #61
BillyGman

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Luna...View Post
Where did you end up on this? I'm looking for a new twin disk.

Ended up nowhere so far. I still have to get the new trans back from Tick performance, but first, I have to pay them for shipping, and for 2 hours of labor for dissassmbly, inspection, and re-assembly since it was not their fault. Jonathan at Tick told me that he would be willing to forget about the $180.00 labor charge, but I cannot expect him to do that with a clear conscience, so I need to pay them for that.

I'm going to try and replace the pilot bearing and the throw-out bearing (again) once I get the new trans back from Tick, but that won't be for another 10 days yet.
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #62
Ironmancan
Bite my shiny metal ass

2006 GTO Owner

Any luck with this?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #63
BillyGman

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmancan...View Post
Any luck with this?

Thanks for your interest. Not yet. I paid the shipping and the 2 hours of labor charges that I owed Tick performance for ripping the new trans apart, inspecting it, and re-assembling it, and I received it back from them. I've been driving the car with the noise and with the old trans in it just to get me around. Still broke and waiting for my tax return $$ so that I can investigate this trouble further.

Should be in the next two weeks. That's the only update I can give you about this. I'll likely just install the new trans with a new pilot bearing and throwout bearing, and hope the noise goes away, and if it doesn't, I'll just live with it and hope that nothing gets wrecked as a result. I'm just plain tired of this. I have other fish to fry, including an 800 HP 1970 Chevelle project sitting in my garage that needs attending to and needs to be completed. This cheesy little jellybean shaped Aussie GTO has taken up waaaay more time and money than I ever anticipated. The engine and supercharger are cool, but it's just my daily driver. Sorry if I sound discouraged, but that's just how it is. I'll chime in again when I have an update for you. Stay tuned.

Last edited by BillyGman; 01-29-2013 at 07:14 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #64
MuhThugga
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

It sounds like a pilot bearing issue or a throwout bearing issue if there is one.

Both the clutch manufacturer and trans builder said no noise should exist. The trans is already ruled out. I didn't see if the clutch manufacturer ruled out a defective clutch.

The pilot bearing could have been installed incorrectly, or is the wrong bearing as someone else pointed out.
The slave may need to be shimmed, as well. Or have the shim taken out.

A lot of possibilities. I understand your frustrations, though. Check the link to my Project Silverback thread in my sig. Many, many frustrations have been had.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #65
Jaime Lannister

Pilot bearings only make noise when the clutch is disengaged and all that is connected to your motor is the inputshaft inside the pilot bearing. It will sound like marbles in a can when you push the clutch in.

With that being said, if the pilot bearing was MISSING, it would make noise all the time. Are you 100% sure it is installed?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #66
BillyGman

2005 GTO Owner

Thanks guys I watched the guy install it when the car was on the lift, so I know it's in there. The slave cylinder was measured for the correct distance, but I didn't do the measuring personally so I can only assume it's correct. Maybe it's the throwout bearing. I dunno.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #67
oldstv

2006 GTO Owner

I will wade in very slowly as to not sound dumb but....
Without hearing the noise I can only offer my recent experience with a Mustang trans swap.
Took the car to a very good shop to have a Magnum XL 6 speed conversion done. The trans shifted fantastic and I was in love...except for the noise and heat coming from the transmission. The noise was loud and I could not stand it. I did what the op did and told everybody on the boards about my problem, looking for advice. I then decided to look into it and low and behold the shop had left the lower shifter boot out of the car. Now that it is in we have no more noise.
My lesson was to look for the simple stuff first.

I'm not saying that is your problem but my point is it will probably be something very simple that you find.
Good luck with your journey.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #68
BillyGman

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstv...View Post
I will wade in very slowly as to not sound dumb but....
Without hearing the noise I can only offer my recent experience with a Mustang trans swap.
Took the car to a very good shop to have a Magnum XL 6 speed conversion done. The trans shifted fantastic and I was in love...except for the noise and heat coming from the transmission. The noise was loud and I could not stand it. I did what the op did and told everybody on the boards about my problem, looking for advice. I then decided to look into it and low and behold the shop had left the lower shifter boot out of the car. Now that it is in we have no more noise.
My lesson was to look for the simple stuff first.

I'm not saying that is your problem but my point is it will probably be something very simple that you find.
Good luck with your journey.

I hope it is something very simple and very cheap, because I'm getting sick of dumping $$ at this problem and on this car. I'm no foreigner to spending big dollars on muscle cars. I've been doing it for years, and with a number of vehicles. In fact, I've dropped $20K short of a year's gross pay into my 70 Chevelle project. But atleast with the Chevelle, it involved a complete body-off-frame resporation and a power level of 800 HP.

I've spent so much $$ on this little GTO transmission and clutch replacemen deal that it's embarrassing me as well as breaking the bank! I'll let you guys know what I find in hopes that someone else here will be spared the aggrivation and time consuming hassle I've had with this endeavor.

BTW, while all this has happened, what adds to my aggrivation with this car is a separate issue which has been a vibration that I've had for the past10 months, and a mechanic who deals with these cars and many supporting vendors too, told me after driving the car that it's the CV joints in the half-shafts that are defective.

The good thing about that is that G-Force was good enough to replace them for free, so it's just a matter of me getting under there to replace them. AAAAArggghhh...it just never ends. Anyways, the vibration has nothing to do with the noise that the car has made ever since the transmission and dluth work was done.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #69
Quiksilver
Grumpy Bastage

2004 GTO Owner

My RST twin-disc "resonates" between 1500 and 2000 RPM in 3rd and 4th gear only. Another guy who had the same clutch had the exact same phenomenon. It's been 50,000 miles now since the clutch went in, zero issue. I just stay away from that RPM and heavy loads in 3rd and 4th.

:shrug:
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #70
Quiksilver
Grumpy Bastage

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDISKRAD EHT...View Post
That is not correct. When engaged a clutch should be silent.

The twin discs that do make noise, should only be at idle. Most new twins have spring loaded floaters though, so they don't make noise at idle.

What you just said. It doesn't make sense.

The clutch is engaged at idle as well. Do you mean when the clutch pedal is depressed at idle?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #71
BillyGman

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilver...View Post
My RST twin-disc "resonates" between 1500 and 2000 RPM in 3rd and 4th gear only. Another guy who had the same clutch had the exact same phenomenon. It's been 50,000 miles now since the clutch went in, zero issue. I just stay away from that RPM and heavy loads in 3rd and 4th.

:shrug:

I was orginally suspecting this. thanks for letting me know despite the vendor's denial of the possibility of this occuring. It does sound like a resonating noise, but a very harsh loud one at that. It's so loud that it can be heard from outside the car!! It sounds like crap, to a point where it's embarrassing. I've been thinking about replacing the thing with a new factory stock clutch to see if the noise goes away. Expensive way to diagnose noises though. I wish that I saved the old clutch, but I didn't. you can be certain that if I do end up spending more $$ on a new stock clutch, and after installation the noise is then gone, that I'm going to chime back in here to let everyone know.

Quote:

The clutch is engaged at idle as well. Do you mean when the clutch pedal is depressed at idle?

that's a very good question.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #72
Quiksilver
Grumpy Bastage

2004 GTO Owner

Mine is the same way, if I were to load it up REALLY heavily in 3rd or 4th below 2000 RPM it sounds like the trans is about to fall out. I've checked everything out and there's no issues. Trans itself was rebuilt by FLT a few years ago and it's presented no issues.

I was fortunate to experience my rebuilt trans both with a stock clutch and the McLeod. The noise didn't appear until I installed the McLeod. I confirmed that this same noise was also happening at an identical RPM in the same gears on a fully stock car with over 100k miles less than mine. At that point I knew it was the clutch and just stopped driving in that RPM range if I could help it. Really, you're lugging the engine at those engine speed/gear combinations anyways.

It's more than likely that the Street Slayer you have either is unbalanced or has found a resonant frequency of something inside the trans. Much like my RST. I never got a balanced RST/flywheel combo, so I'm thinking this is highly likely.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #73
EDISKRAD EHT
Back to Blown

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:

That's exactly what I meant. I don't know how I typed that, or that you're the first person to catch it.

(Previous) Maggie setup = 551RWHP/536RWTQ
(Current) Procharger F1A / 385 LS2 : 696RWHP/641RWTQ, MOAR timing + MOAR boost = ???
Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #74
Nopps

HSV Coupe'

I had a boot missing on mine too and was gone since I bought the car from the first owner. Spent a lot of time chasing nvh, and never would have thought it was something so simple. I was ready to rebuild the trans until I realized what I was missing so the guy above me who said check the basics is right. Also, what kind of shifter do you have? A couple of the base bolts in my Hurst loosened up on me once a while back and caused a very similar vibration and noise to what you are describing, at about the same rpm range. And they didn't come loose enough to feel any slop either. Might be as simple as loctite. At least I hope it is. I've been there man...very frustrating. Good luck, you'll have it fixed soon....It is also possible to mess a pilot bearing up when you install it. Sh*t happens. Take a look if you get the opportunity.
GrigioMedio,KWv3,coilovers,ALL poly bushings/mounts, Whiteline swaybars/tower brace,solid endlinks,Pedders HDtierods/HDballjoints,Brembo 6pot4pot,HP+,BBS CH19x10+20, Hurst shifter,Spec 11ib flywheel/LS7 clutch,DSS 1200hp dshaft,Gforce Axles, Vararam,Ported Fast 102,HS shaft/roller rockers,SLP UDP,237/242 605/610 112 LSA+1,Manley pushrods,SLP oilpump,JP doubleroller,Lunati duals,Kooks 1.75 longtubes,highflow cats,SW 3" Xpipe,3" exhaust by MBS,160tstat,difflow diffuser,475rwhp/432rwtq RPM tuned

Last edited by Nopps; 01-29-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #75
BillyGman

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Mine is the same way, if I were to load it up REALLY heavily in 3rd or 4th below 2000 RPM it sounds like the trans is about to fall out. I've checked everything out and there's no issues. Trans itself was rebuilt by FLT a few years ago and it's presented no issues.

I was fortunate to experience my rebuilt trans both with a stock clutch and the McLeod. The noise didn't appear until I installed the McLeod. I confirmed that this same noise was also happening at an identical RPM in the same gears on a fully stock car with over 100k miles less than mine. At that point I knew it was the clutch and just stopped driving in that RPM range if I could help it. Really, you're lugging the engine at those engine speed/gear combinations anyways.

It's more than likely that the Street Slayer you have either is unbalanced or has found a resonant frequency of something inside the trans. Much like my RST. I never got a balanced RST/flywheel combo, so I'm thinking this is highly likely.

Well the noise occurs the most in 4th gear which turns out to be from 35-40 MPH. And it doesn't take much throttle input to produce the noise either. it isn't like I have to go full throttle for the noise to occur. It isn't very unusual at all to give the engine some gas at 40 MPH while in 4th gear without having to downshift during every day traffic conditions. In fact, to leave the trans in 3rd gear until you're above 40 MPH is a bit out of place for the daily commute since you're not beating on the car then. So it really isn't a matter of lugging it.

I would consider 1800-2000 RPM in 4th gear to be lugging it if I'm going full throttle. But as I've said, this noise only take a slight amount of throttle input to occur. I also think that it's pretty pathetic if after paying $1400 for a clutch assembly, that it didn't come balanced. the thing is, I don't have any idea where I can take it in order to have it checked to see if in fact it is balanced or not. I was hoping the one of the driveshaft places that I dealt with can do that, but that told me no they couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopps...View Post
I had a boot missing on mine too and was gone since I bought the car from the first owner. Spent a lot of time chasing nvh, and never would have thought it was something so simple. I was ready to rebuild the trans until I realized what I was missing so the guy above me who said check the basics is right. Also, what kind of shifter do you have? A couple of the base bolts in my Hurst loosened up on me once a while back and caused a very similar vibration and noise to what you are describing, at about the same rpm range. And they didn't come loose enough to feel any slop either. Might be as simple as loctite. At least I hope it is. I've been there man...very frustrating. Good luck, you'll have it fixed soon....It is also possible to mess a pilot bearing up when you install it. Sh*t happens. Take a look if you get the opportunity.

Thanks for the input on this. I have the stock shifter, and never had any problems before. But I'll checkout the loose bolt possibility like you've said. I think I should've just stayed with the stock clutch. Too many variables here. What a nightmare!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #76
Quiksilver
Grumpy Bastage

2004 GTO Owner

Could always just call up RPS and start asking questions. Since it's really their clutch and all...
http://www.turboclutch.com/Pages/RPS%20ST%20Half.htm

Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #77
BillyGman

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Could always just call up RPS and start asking questions. Since it's really their clutch and all...
http://www.turboclutch.com/Pages/RPS%20ST%20Half.htm

Not a bad idea
Old 01-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #78
Non-Sponsor-Engineering
Banned

Once again ill offer to have the clutch looked at as I did months ago.our clutch doesn't make noise just to be clear the clutch makes no noise certain ly that would be heard outside of the car and I think many with our clutch have stated that.calling RPS won't get you anywhere its a Street Slayer not a Rps. Maybe ups dropped it but again our clutch doesn't make noise if you would like it checked pick up the phone and give me a call.also the clutch is most certain ly balanced.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #79
Quiksilver
Grumpy Bastage

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Sponsor-Engineering...View Post
calling RPS won't get you anywhere its a Street Slayer not a Rps.

Bro...

Quote:
All 2010 Camaro, LS powered F-bodies, and LS powered GTO clutches are available from Non-Sponsor Engineering under the "Slayer" clutch name.
www.Non-Sponsor-engineering.com
980-521-0722

Not only is it posted on their website that you sell their clutches under a different name, but you also took their press photo, used photoshop to single out the pieces (in very rough manner), and placed your wallpaper of logos behind it.

Tell me again it's not an RPS.

Last edited by Quiksilver; 01-30-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #80
Ironmancan
Bite my shiny metal ass

2006 GTO Owner

Since you have some time I would call and send the clutch to Thomas. I don't think anything is wrong with your clutch but it wouldn't hurt to have them check it out.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #81
BillyGman

2005 GTO Owner

I gotta admit, at this point, I'm very tempted to just buy a $300 ctutch assembly from rock auto, and install it to see what happens.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #82
erock
other kids were doing it.....

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Bro...

Not only is it posted on their website that you sell their clutches under a different name, but you also took their press photo, used photoshop to single out the pieces (in very rough manner), and placed your wallpaper of logos behind it.

Tell me again it's not an RPS.

Say what one more time!?!?

Billet Pro Shifter, SCSS Pod w/oil/volt, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, catted mids, SS 3" catback, SCSS mounts, Harrop rear cover, Hotchkiss Sways, BC Racing ER, with 9k,10k springs, poly bushings, BMR skid plate, SFC, and STB, JHP lip v2, SLP Predator, Pedders Fast Rack. Installing: SNL Blower cam, Harrop HTV2300, Willwood 14" BBK
Old 02-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #83
Ironmancan
Bite my shiny metal ass

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman...View Post
I gotta admit, at this point, I'm very tempted to just buy a $300 ctutch assembly from rock auto, and install it to see what happens.

If I still had my spare clutch I'd send it your way but I really don't think it's your clutch. With everything you've been thru already contacting Thomas and getting it checked out is the cheapest and easiest option. Luckily this isn't your daily driver.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #84
BillyGman

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmancan...View Post
Luckily this isn't your daily driver.

Uhmmm....you're joking, right? I thought that I've clearly stated that this IS my daily driver. In fact, I'm driving it around now with the old transmission which doesn't have 5th, 6th, nor reverse gears. Ever since I opted to change out the trans and the old clutch, I've been dealing with this problem with this car. If I send out the clutch, the car will be laid up for the entire turn around time, and if I spend the money for the shipping both ways, borrow my girl's carto get me around during the wait time, and then get ans answer back like "there's nothing wrong with our clutch" I won't even be confident of that as being fact unless I had a third party check it out anyway. I just don't know who I can bring it to. Since it only makes the noise in such a narrow RPM band, I can't help but think that it's some type of balance issue. But I can only guess because I'm still stumped with this until further investigation.

I only wish that I had saved the old clutch, because it looked fine. I should've just re-used it so it wouldn't have been suspect in the event of a problem. If I go with new OE type $300 clutch, atleast the car won't be laid up on the lift all over again. Since I replaced the trans and clutch 2 months ago, this car has spent more time on the lift and in storage than being driven on the street. I'm just tired of dealing with down time. These kinds of things often happen when you deal with the aftermarket. And it rarely fails. Been there before.

Last edited by BillyGman; 02-01-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #85
MuhThugga
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Ask around the forums. Maybe somebody has a used LS7 or stock clutch unit laying around that you can throw in there for the time being.

As long as you don't get on it, the clutch will hold while you send the twin back to Non-Sponsor for inspection.

I'd still have my LS7 laying around if someone didn't decide to clean the shed and leave it outside in the rain.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #86
BillyGman

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga...View Post
Ask around the forums. Maybe somebody has a used LS7 or stock clutch unit laying around that you can throw in there for the time being.

As long as you don't get on it, the clutch will hold while you send the twin back to Non-Sponsor for inspection.

I'd still have my LS7 laying around if someone didn't decide to clean the shed and leave it outside in the rain.

I'll tell you what, everyone says that stock clutches "won't hold the power" but after installing the TVS1900 supercharger on my car at around the 10,000 mile mark, and driving the snot out of it (no track runs, but beating it hard every day on the street with drag radial tires) for a good 18,000 miles, the stock clutch looked great when it was removed back in November, and it wasn't showing any signs of slipping either.

I understand what you mean about "as long as you don't get on it" if I install a used clutch that's very worn, but I think the stock clutches will hold up pretty well on the street (atleast up to 500FWHP/450RWHP levels like I am at with my car)as long as you stick to street driving. maybe dragstrip runs are another story.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #87
Quiksilver
Grumpy Bastage

2004 GTO Owner

The only thing it can be is the clutch. Trans is already out of the equation.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #88
BillyGman

2005 GTO Owner

Hmmm....look at this here....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=22

it seems to me that it's common for these twin disc aftermarket clutches to make some weird noises. I think I'm going back to an ordrinary OE type single disc replacement clutch. My old one looked good after 28K with barely any sings of waer on the disc surfaces, and 18K of those miles were at about 110 HP above the factory level due to the Maggie TVS1900.

I'll never take this car to the track, and most of these aftermarket parts I've used are proving to be a big hassle. Live and learn.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #89
Ironmancan
Bite my shiny metal ass

2006 GTO Owner

If a twin would hold my power I'd buy it from you since my last streetslayer twin was perfect except I out grew the HP rating. It's now in a C6Z06 pushing 600 whp without issue. Since you did not send it back for inspection we will never know for sure. Hope whatever piece you go with next is trouble free.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #90
Ironmancan
Bite my shiny metal ass

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman...View Post
I'll tell you what, everyone says that stock clutches "won't hold the power" but after installing the TVS1900 supercharger on my car at around the 10,000 mile mark, and driving the snot out of it (no track runs, but beating it hard every day on the street with drag radial tires) for a good 18,000 miles, the stock clutch looked great when it was removed back in November, and it wasn't showing any signs of slipping either.

I understand what you mean about "as long as you don't get on it" if I install a used clutch that's very worn, but I think the stock clutches will hold up pretty well on the street (atleast up to 500FWHP/450RWHP levels like I am at with my car)as long as you stick to street driving. maybe dragstrip runs are another story.

Alot of that really depends on the driver. GTO clutches have gone over 100k miles and some have only lasted about 30k. I don't think it's a crapshoot I think its more driver related
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: