Underhood shield - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Appearance/Detailing

Old 02-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
lilweazel
douche de luche

2004 GTO Owner

Underhood shield

Finally had to take mine off today. 2004 with 50k miles, always covered and kept clean but this damn thing was falling apart, today I opened the hood and most of it was on the engine. Anyone else has to take theirs off?

Also even using the proper panel removal tools over half the tabs broke off. Paint underneath is so-so.
04' GTO - FIRST GTO with QA1 coilovers in ALL 4 corners. Lovells bushings everywhere, hotchkis sways, JBA shorties, catless mids, cutouts, flowmaster american thunder catback. Custom tune. DuSpeed. GForce rear coilovers, GForce 1-piece DS, 3.91, TruTrac, 6 piston front 4 piston rear WilWood BBK, Some other shit...
13' Tigaun SEL 4motion - Every goddamn option...
01' Range Rover HSE - GONE
99' Grand Prix GT - GONE
87' Grand National
87' T-Type - GONE
84' Crown Victoria - GONE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
PontiacGTO.info
Chunk Chunk Chunk

2005 GTO Owner

Re: Underhood shield

Yeah I took mine off a few weeks back after getting my DuSpeed since it was running on it. It was a pain in the ass getting it off. Paint underneath was good minus not all of it being painted. uploadfromtaptalk1361137274906.jpg

456 RWHP 425 RWTQ
Bought 7/9/08 Sold 4/25/14
Old 02-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

The center is just primer. I bought a rattle can of matching paint and a rattle can of clear coat. It looks worlds better than the ratty blanky. Most of the plastic buttons broke on mine too but no big deal. I fished a cable through the holes on the back of the hood and pulled the washer lines through from the passenger side to the drivers. For giggles I bought a rear G6 Pontiac emblem on eBay and put it in the center.

"It's a well know fact that after you hit 400 HP you have to go with split dual exhaust like the LS2 GTOs. The '04s could get away
with single side because they were only 350 HP. With 400 HP and beyond the car wants to turn right at WOT from the thrust."
Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
ddawson
Purple Administrator

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I had to notch my hood for the blower and did this to seal the LPE much better.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
lilweazel
douche de luche

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212...View Post
The center is just primer. I bought a rattle can of matching paint and a rattle can of clear coat. It looks worlds better than the ratty blanky. Most of the plastic buttons broke on mine too but no big deal. I fished a cable through the holes on the back of the hood and pulled the washer lines through from the passenger side to the drivers. For giggles I bought a rear G6 Pontiac emblem on eBay and put it in the center.

Does your intake hit your hood like a tiny little bit? Even with everything shaved and the shield off it rubs just a little bit. It's not a big deal its just something I noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson...View Post
I had to notch my hood for the blower and did this to seal the LPE much better.

What type of material is that?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
ddawson
Purple Administrator

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Dynamat hoodliner

et better sound, protect your car's paint finish and get that show car look with a custom thermo-acoustic Dynamat Hoodliner. The Hoodliner's "Sound Soaker" foam absorbs engine noise, delivering a quieter listening environment in your vehicle. In addition, the Hoodliner's 1 mil. reinforced aluminized skin creates a water/oil barrier that reflects up to 97% of radiant heat to protect the hood's paint finish.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
lilweazel
douche de luche

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson...View Post
Dynamat hoodliner

et better sound, protect your car's paint finish and get that show car look with a custom thermo-acoustic Dynamat Hoodliner. The Hoodliner's "Sound Soaker" foam absorbs engine noise, delivering a quieter listening environment in your vehicle. In addition, the Hoodliner's 1 mil. reinforced aluminized skin creates a water/oil barrier that reflects up to 97% of radiant heat to protect the hood's paint finish.

It comes in one big sheet? Did you just use cardboard cutouts to get the shape? Looks good.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilweazel...View Post
Does your intake hit your hood like a tiny little bit? Even with everything shaved and the shield off it rubs just a little bit. It's not a big deal its just something I noticed.

Not even a tiny bit and haven't for over 5 years (2 years the production unit) even with the blanket on. I took that off because it looked like crap. One thing I have that helps IMHO is an Ingalls Stiffy engine torque damper. Stock engine mounts and no Stiffy means the engine can jump all over the place. The other possibilities are install or car build tolerances. I've installed several intakes on all years of the GTO and all of the ones I did went on quickly without issue. I have had reports of up to 1/2" differences between cars though. One was at a speed shop on a completely undamaged goat and the gap between the A/C condenser and front cross brace was a 1/2" less making it so the intake could not fit down in the gap.

Last edited by svede1212; 02-17-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
lilweazel
douche de luche

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212...View Post
Not even a tiny bit and haven't for over 5 years even with the blanket on. I took that off because it looked like crap. One thing I have that helps IMHO is an Ingalls Stiffy engine torque damper. Stock engine mounts and no Stiffy means the engine can jump all over the place. The other possibilities are install or car build tolerances. I've installed several intakes on all years of the GTO and all of the ones I did went on quickly without issue. I have had reports of up to 1/2" differences between cars though. One was at a speed shop on a completely undamaged goat and the gap between the A/C condenser and front cross brace was a 1/2" less making it so the intake could not fit down in the gap.

Yea I figured every car was a little different with these things. Mine has been on for 3 years. The spot it makes is like half the size of a dime. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything so it doesn't really bother me.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
ddawson
Purple Administrator

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Yep, I made paper templates and cut to size
Old 02-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Hockeyman
"I wish Cotton was a Monkey!"

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I covered my stock hood liner with a mat from carmotorsports[dot]com

I have pics of it installed, but can't seem to find them at the moment. I will say that it made a huge improvement on the engine bay's appearance.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
swgoat

I did mine last year, removal went smooth. Installed a liner from hoodliners.net with a custom GTO silver logo.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
CrAzYGOAT
nothing witty today

2004 GTO Owner

personally dig this guys set up... custom stitched fire thingy from nascar, only read a short bit about it but it looks awesome.

STOLEN
2004 PBM LS1 M6
Kooks Headers & Street Screamers - Monster stage 1 with tick performance master
Hinson engine mounts - speed bleeder - ASP UD pulley - 3.91 w/eaton tru trac and Harrop cover - BP shifter
RAMJET otrcai - LSXr/102 Big Mouth - Billet Rails - custom coolant crossover
BC coilovers, 19" TSW Cadwells 45mm on f-245/35 r-285/35 - James Biz catch can
JB blacked out arrows and side badges - Mav man spolier and diffuser - Custom suede interior and trim
Old 02-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

On the other pictures here you guys just dangled the washer hose from one side to the other. The very back channel is hollow and it's easy to fish something across to pull it through. Easy to clean up the looks.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
lilweazel
douche de luche

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgoat...View Post
I did mine last year, removal went smooth. Installed a liner from hoodliners.net with a custom GTO silver logo.

Pics?
Old 02-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
JMak
Yabba Dabba Doo!!

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman...View Post

I have pics of it installed, but can't seem to find them at the moment. I will say that it made a huge improvement on the engine bay's appearance.

Doing the same to mine, it came in a couple of weeks ago but have not put in on yet.
04 GTO QSM A4 Red Interior 1 of 301, 400rwhp Ricer Stickers: TSW, BFG, Pioneer Audio, Kicker Audio, NGK, Aeroforce, Kooks, Spintech, Lovells, BC Racing, Taylor, Texas Speed, Torquer, Professional Products, Cold Air Induction, Edge, Russell, Centric & Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffemac...View Post
The GTO is like that "kinda cute" girl that caught your eye at "closing" time on a Saturday night. Not fat or skinney. Not ugly or beautiful. However, once you get her in the sack she puts it on you.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
pokey6.0

2006 GTO Owner

I took mine off because it was rubbing the maggie. I had the underside of the hood painted to match looks better now than it did when I had it on I think it costed me about $200 bucks to have it painted.

2006 M6 SRM L/T's, High Flow Cats. Kooks Afterburners,
Staggered Axis Shine's, BMR Drag Bags, TVS2300, Frozen Boost Heat Exchanger, House of Power Cam, Monster Stage III, DuSpeed, Tuned by Mike Lavigne.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
Spooky_pitboss
F Wisconsin weather in the A

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Spooky_pitboss
I took mine off since it was ugly and ratty looking. Sprayed it with some leftover black krylon and it really freshened it up.

No matter how gentle I was in prying the clips off, half of them broke and I had to find some new ones at autozone...
Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #19
Hockeyman

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak...View Post
Doing the same to mine, it came in a couple of weeks ago but have not put in on yet.

It takes a bit of dexterity to install it, but I'm no professional and still pulled it off. Take your time and be sure to have everything perfectly centered before spraying the adhesive on both material and liner.

I cut the hood scoops out with a razor blade once it was glued. I also used a rubber roller like this when applying the material.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #20
05_gto1982

2005 GTO Owner

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgoat...View Post

X2 on pics of this
Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #21
JNR
Quidditas

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman...View Post

Is this available without the GTO logo on it? Looks like a nice unit, other than that.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #22
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

The problem with the stock and other blankets is they hold oil and dirt. Outside of the first couple of years mine never really looked great. They're put on mainly for noise reduction but the insulating ability is a negative as it helps trap engine bay heat
Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
05ls7gto
Original Owners Club

2006 GTO Owner

My hood liner isn't looking too hot, and I have been contemplating on removing mine also. I want to paint my hood underneath like JDrobycki did his - the frame structure in SRM and the indent areas in crinkle black, but I'd also get the areas where the scoops are painted black as well.

2005 QSM/Anthracite/17/A4 - R.I.P.
2006 SRM/Anthracite/17/A4 - Mod List
2014 PBM Chevy SS/Sunroof/No Spare - Holden Conversion
Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #24
paulsz28
Bolt Extractor

2004 GTO Owner

Without the hood liner, does your hood paint not boil/cook? I thought the hood liner was their to dissipate heat . . .
Lovells Front RR Bushings + Strut Mounts|Lovells 0-Drop Springs|KYB Shocks/Struts
05/06 Calipers|DBA Standard S/D Rotors|Hawk PC Pads
Kooks SS Headers + O/R Mid-pipes|Stock Asymmetric Mufflers
HSC Stock Height Motor Mounts
Torco RGO|ATE Super Blue Brake/Clutch
Old 02-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
lilweazel
douche de luche

2004 GTO Owner

Underhood shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsz28...View Post
Without the hood liner, does your hood paint not boil/cook? I thought the hood liner was their to dissipate heat . . .

It's not gonna hurt it.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #26
notransistors

2004 GTO Owner

What Paul said might have some truth to it. When I had the 3rd-generation Firebird, the overall opinion of the online owner's group was that the paint will suffer without the blanket. These guys were very certain of this.

If my Svede rubs the blanket, I will adjust to suit, but the blanket will stay.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #27
Hockeyman

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR...View Post
Is this available without the GTO logo on it? Looks like a nice unit, other than that.

Yes, but you do not have to order it from the company where I purchased mine. You can just order a regular hood insulator carpet w/adhesive, then install it yourself on your current liner. Total cost should be around $25-$35 for the materials needed. You might be able to find them cheaper too, just look on ebay.

If you were close by, I'd offer to do it for you because I already have a few extra rolls of that material in my garage. Only problem is that the shipping cost for the insulator is a killer! UPS wants somewhere around $110 to mail it.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #28
Axe Man
Spirit of Detroit

2006 GTO Owner

I run an aftermarket hood with no blanket. I have run this set up in both Las Vegas and Phoenix with no damage to the hood paint whatsoever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: