2004 A4 pre cam questionaire - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 02-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Skar69
Goatamus

2004 GTO Owner

2004 A4 pre cam questionaire

Ive finally want to take the leap in to a cam install and I know this question has been beat to death. I have a stock 2004 A4 and Im wanting to get a cam for it. Im a complete idiot when it comes to duration and lift. Right now its got a canned tune thats been a tad modified and a CAI. I would like to keep the factory valve springs and sooner or later a pair of LT's are planned. I know its going to need a tune when everything is installed. Ive scowered all over the threads looking for answers but it seems alot of people own 05-06s with little help on the 04 LS1's. I dont want, like alot of people here, any issues with high lift causing catastrophic failure at any RPMs. Help prefered from other people that have had similar setups.
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
TheRocket
I Wanna Go Fast

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skar69...View Post
Ive finally want to take the leap in to a cam install and I know this question has been beat to death. I have a stock 2004 A4 and Im wanting to get a cam for it. Im a complete idiot when it comes to duration and lift. Right now its got a canned tune thats been a tad modified and a CAI. I would like to keep the factory valve springs and sooner or later a pair of LT's are planned. I know its going to need a tune when everything is installed. Ive scowered all over the threads looking for answers but it seems alot of people own 05-06s with little help on the 04 LS1's. I dont want, like alot of people here, any issues with high lift causing catastrophic failure at any RPMs. Help prefered from other people that have had similar setups.

You can't keep the factory valve springs with any adequate cam choice. I wouldn't even chance it with a baby cam. And by baby cam, we are talking less than 220 duration and 0.550 lift. So you will need to change the springs, locks, retainers and seals.

Secondly, you're better off getting the supporting mods for a cam than the cam first. So finish your exhaust with LT and get a stall. It will make your cam install and tune go much smoother and you will see much better results.

And when modding any vehicle, you have to be cognizant of the fact that you increase your chances of catastrophic failure.

My buddy and I use the saying. When modding any car, you get to pick two out of three choices: Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Which ever one you don't pick will be the down fall of your build. So if you want Fast and Cheap, it won't be reliable. Fast and Reliable, won't be cheap. You get the idea.

So my advice to you is to keep reading and researching. Ask intelligent questions after reading and you be ready to varying opionions. But most importantly, know what you are looking for. Is it a toy, DD, full on race car. All these things matter.

Good luck!

2005 Pearl Orange Metallic
PB:12.98@107.1mph
LS3 Intake/Heads - Comp Custom Grind Cam 224/230 .609/.609 113+2 - FTI 3200 Triple Disc - Svede - Lunati - Katech - Cometic - GMPP - SLP - Kooks - MagnaFlow - BC 8/10k Coilovers - Pedders - Whiteline - DBA - Hawk - TSW Cadwells - Goldilocks Splitter - Maverick Man Carbon Spoiler - Morimoto - 06 Tails - Elemental Designs Nine.1 Amp - Phoenix Gold - Hybrid Audio - TC Sounds - Kenwood
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
batboy
cave dweller

2004 GTO Owner

Anything even slightly bigger than stock will require upgrading the valve springs, no way around it. You don't need a big lift cam, but you will need better springs. A Thunder Racing 224 cam doesn't have a real high lift and is proven to be a decent performer. Beehive single springs are all you need for it. Beehive springs use the stock retainers and locks.

TR-230/236 cam/TEA ported Trick Flow 215 heads/4" CAI/100mm MAF/ported FAST 90/Kooks/Magnaflow
Performabuilt trans/3200 stall/Truetrac/Gforce1320 half shafts, stubs, CF driveshaft/SSR wheels/SNL tune
Old 02-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Skar69
Goatamus

2004 GTO Owner

Thanks for the quick replies. One other thing is I would like to have is that rough idle sound and Im not talking barely running idle but a descent lope along with good power throughout. I get the springs and it makes since. The car does not get driven daily, maybe 2 or 3 times a week depending on the weather "sunny and dry"
Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
TheRocket
I Wanna Go Fast

2005 GTO Owner

Are you looking for an off the shelf cam or a custom cam? Are you planning on doing heads or any port and polish work? Porting the intake? What are your future plans for the car?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
batboy
cave dweller

2004 GTO Owner

For a idle lope, you probably need more duration than that cam I originally mentioned. A lower LSA will also give you a choppier idle. Maybe look at the Texas Speed 228R with a 111 LSA.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
TheRocket
I Wanna Go Fast

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy...View Post
For a idle lope, you probably need more duration than that cam I originally mentioned. A lower LSA will also give you a choppier idle. Maybe look at the Texas Speed 228R with a 111 LSA.

For an 04, that's what I was thinking. A 111 or 112LSA. Go with a Torquer V2 if you plan on doing any future head or intake work. You'll get your rough idle with that cam for sure.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
TheRocket
I Wanna Go Fast

2005 GTO Owner

And you could also call around . . . *cough cough* Ed at FTI for a camshaft.

I like this one . . . http://www.flowtechinduction.com/lsx...shaft-package/
Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
2004KID
Premium Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Megadeath

Best E.T. to date 11.93@114MPH
Hoosier Quick Time ET Slicks and MT Skinnies
Special Thanks to Raygnicky for all his help to make these times possible and to all my Buddies in our group!!
Also thanks to ACE for loaning me his skinnies.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Suivez-moi 04

2004 GTO Owner

Skar69....you might want to give Hutter Performance ...Chardon Ohio..a call...Rusty will have some things for you. I posted on the Cam choice in the threads #22 abit about my 04 gto auto. They dont name their cams but they run....
Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
elephantrider
registered loser

2004 GTO Owner

how many miles on the car ? you may want to look into
getting new lifters, rockers, push rods, oil pump, etc...

here is my build. i do have a manual, so the stall didnt
apply to me... point is, you can see all the parts i went
ahead and swapped for new upgrades because i know im
going to bang out some more mods before im finished

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...=04+goat+build

440/400
Old 02-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
WadeTXGTO
trust me

2004 GTO Owner

Just had my ls1 rebuilt from a catastrophic failure due to prior owner upgrading the cam, springs and longer pushrods but not other important things. Went with the livernois stage 1, its a 224 cam with 114 lsa. It drives like stock but bumps up the rear wheel numbers to right at 350/350 before 5500 rpm. Sleeper cam but for the long tubes and exhaust. Stock air intake.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
JMak
Yabba Dabba Doo!!

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket...View Post
For an 04, that's what I was thinking. A 111 or 112LSA. Go with a Torquer V2 if you plan on doing any future head or intake work. You'll get your rough idle with that cam for sure.

This, I did a V2 cam on 111LSA. Drive home got 3 compliments. Ported intake and bigger TB with headers and a 3200 stall. 407 with the converter locked, 397 with it unlocked. With the stall it drives great minus my mpg going to way down. But it is muscle car not a Prius. The only cam surge I get if I take my foot off the brake slightly can slightly feel a little surge at idle.

Do it right the first time, do the right mods to make it happen. Heck while we were in there even did oil pump and upgraded timing.
04 GTO QSM A4 Red Interior 1 of 301, 400rwhp Ricer Stickers: TSW, BFG, Pioneer Audio, Kicker Audio, NGK, Aeroforce, Kooks, Spintech, Lovells, BC Racing, Taylor, Texas Speed, Torquer, Professional Products, Cold Air Induction, Edge, Russell, Centric & Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffemac...View Post
The GTO is like that "kinda cute" girl that caught your eye at "closing" time on a Saturday night. Not fat or skinney. Not ugly or beautiful. However, once you get her in the sack she puts it on you.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
NITROS COBRA/GTO

2005 GTO Owner

There are a ton of things to consider when buying a camshaft. I would suggest you take the time to figure all the mods that you are going to do now and the future. Write them down and then contact one of the companies on the left hand side of this page. Auto's are completely different than stick cars. You do not need as much cam with an auto car. You have a converter for multiplying torque. The stall is important to the camshaft. Exhaust, stall, rearend gear, weight, head flow, intake flow, etc. Get an idea of what you want out of the car and research what will it take to do that...

05 GTO IN THE MAKING

JBA headers, JBA catted mids, SPINTECH catback centered exhaust, GMM shifter, K&N, DR-37's, WHITELINE, KONI'S, Rear seat delete, Massive weight reduction
Old 02-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #15
Skar69
Goatamus

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider...View Post
how many miles on the car ? you may want to look into
getting new lifters, rockers, push rods, oil pump, etc...

here is my build. i do have a manual, so the stall didnt
apply to me... point is, you can see all the parts i went
ahead and swapped for new upgrades because i know im
going to bang out some more mods before im finished

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...=04+goat+build

Eh the mileage is getting up there, right now it sits with 95k on it, as for future upgrades, the only thing I wanna do is LT's. I thought about a stall but I never understood how it functions. Eveyone I talk to just says you need to ride in a car that has one installed.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #16
JMak
Yabba Dabba Doo!!

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Eh the mileage is getting up there, right now it sits with 95k on it, as for future upgrades, the only thing I wanna do is LT's. I thought about a stall but I never understood how it functions. Eveyone I talk to just says you need to ride in a car that has one installed.

Any decent size cam you will need a stall, it is that simple.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #17
elephantrider
registered loser

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Eh the mileage is getting up there, right now it sits with 95k on it...

thats fairly high mileage. if it were me, i'd go ahead and upgrade the lifters, trays, rocker arms ( trunion upgraded ), rods, oil pump, etc..

..and yes, any cam thats worth swapping will need a converter.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #18
batboy
cave dweller

2004 GTO Owner

Sounds like you should get headers and other boltons first plus a real tune. You probably aren't ready for a cam yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: