LS1GTO Forums banner

NorCal Track Day

11K views 107 replies 22 participants last post by  trexflyer02 
#1 · (Edited)
BUMP for 2014!

I think it would be fun to get a group together for a track day. I need to get back onto a road course and know there are others in the NorCal area that would like to track their cars as well. Since there are some options for tracks, dates, etc. I figured we should start a discussion.

For those that have never done one, track days are generally run by a track day group (Hooked on Driving, TrackMasters, etc.) or clubs (NASA, SCCA, PCoA, etc.). These groups rent the track and then charge a fee for each participant ($250-350 depending on the group, track, number of sessions, instruction, etc.). Events are typically broken into 30 minute sessions and divided between groups/classes based on experience (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, etc.). Generally you can expect to get 2-2.5 hours of track time over the course of the day.

The only requirements for participation is a SA 2005 or newer helmet and a well maintained car. Prior to the event you should perform a thorough tech inspection (check tires, brake pads/fluids, etc.) but no other modifications are required (unless you're driving a convertible).

There are three major tracks in NorCal: Thunderhill, Sonoma (Sears Point), and Laguna Seca.

Spots for track days at some tracks fill-up quickly, so it is best to plan ahead. Also, track days are rain-or-shine (and almost never give refunds if it rains), so the time of the year might be important for some. Most groups/tracks are available weekends, but others are often mid-week. Track days generally run from 8am-5pm and can be physically and mentally demanding, depending on the track I would recommend looking into a hotel for the night before/after (a 2.5hr drive to Thunderhill trying to make an 8am drivers meeting can make for a very long day).

So, questions for everyone... who's interested in doing a track day event? Which tracks are people interested in? When (season, day of week, etc.) would people like to have the track day? Is there any desire for a two-day event? What on-track experience do people have? Any comments/concerns about doing a track day?

-Todd...

See less See more
#92 ·
I may not be able to make this event, I have a small oil leak after my cam install which i'm not sure where it's coming from...

#97 ·
It's a new year... so time to get back on track!

I'm signed-up for a Hooked on Driving event at Thunderhill March 14-15. I'll likely be going back there again in the spring... in preparation for an event on the new 5 mile course in the fall. Might try to get back out to Sonoma in the summer/fall. Laguna Seca is likely a no-go unless hell freezes over and a 105dB day is offered.

-Todd...

#98 ·
Why is LS so strict on noise??

#100 ·
Residents.
Yup. I've always found it strange that people who bought property next to a race track (or a bombing range before it was converted) can have any say in things being loud. Then again the track is on public lands and probably has to deal with permits, etc.

Most tracks have noise restrictions (I believe Sonoma is 103dB at 50'), but Laguna Seca is particularly difficult (sound check at 50' on uphill part of the track). They are only permitted so many unlimited-noise days and most are reserved for races. There are fewer 105dB days, but these are highly coveted and are most often rented by groups that do racing events (SCCA, NASA, etc.). There are a handful of 92dB days, but these have been transitioning towards 90dB.

-Todd...

#102 ·
Interested! My car is kinda loud now though :(

#104 ·
Todd, I love you, I mean your car, I mean... What? :scratch:

#107 ·
Looks like fun Todd, nicely done man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.